Author Topic: Good keycap sets for the Logitech G710+?  (Read 7052 times)

Offline mbuilder

Good keycap sets for the Logitech G710+?
« on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 16:57:23 »
Are there any good keycap sets for the G710+ as I know that the layout for the bottom row of keys is irregular (the Windows key is shrinked in size) besides the Max Translucent Keycaps? I plan to buy these keycap sets in China so taobao links are fine but other links that are able to ship to Canada is fine (as long as the shipping isn't that expensive). :) Thanks in advance for your replies.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 September 2014, 16:59:05 by mbuilder »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: Good keycap sets for the Logitech G710+?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 03:18:37 »
Short answer: No.

Long answer: You can make up a set of keys to fit by using a combination of Tsangan kit Ctrl and Win keys, base kit Alt keys and extra bottom row 1x key as Menu, but you won't find a matching spacebar since the size is 6.5x. Normal spacebars are 6.25x and Tsangan spacebars are 7x. So you'll have to keep the stock spacebar. In that case you have to make sure the keycaps you buy will match (in both profile and colour). There are only a few OEM profile keycap sets that include Tsangan kits, so it really limits your options. If you don't mind the spacebar being a different profile or colour to the rest of the keys then you can find a few more sets that will fit. Look in the Classifieds section or Group Buys.

Oh! Just noticed this: http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/6-5-length-space-bars/

Now you can have a DCS profile black spacebar in 6.5x! Needs more participants to tip, but if it does, that will help for any sets in DCS profile that use a black spacebar.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 September 2014, 06:50:36 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline mbuilder

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 23:15:39 »
Short answer: No.

Long answer: You can make up a set of keys to fit by using a combination of Tsangan kit Ctrl and Win keys, base kit Alt keys and extra bottom row 1x key as Menu, but you won't find a matching spacebar since the size is 6.5x. Normal spacebars are 6.25x and Tsangan spacebars are 7x. So you'll have to keep the stock spacebar. In that case you have to make sure the keycaps you buy will match (in both profile and colour). There are only a few OEM profile keycap sets that include Tsangan kits, so it really limits your options. If you don't mind the spacebar being a different profile or colour to the rest of the keys then you can find a few more sets that will fit. Look in the Classifieds section or Group Buys.

Oh! Just noticed this: http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/6-5-length-space-bars/

Now you can have a DCS profile black spacebar in 6.5x! Needs more participants to tip, but if it does, that will help for any sets in DCS profile that use a black spacebar.
Thanks for your reply! :) So you are suggesting that if I want to customize my keyboard I would have to get a Tsangan set of keycaps for the bottom row and find keycaps that match the Tsangan set? Since Tsangan spacebars are 7x, won't it create a gap between the 6.5x spacebar and the alt keys beside it? What does it mean by DCS ABS Black spacebar (is it just saying that it is an all black spacebar?) What kind of keycaps should I look for if I want to have light pass through them? (Sorry for asking so many questions. Just got started in mechanical keyboard modding as the stock keycaps on the g710+ aren't that good imo in terms of build quality).

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 10:10:05 »
Not quite what I meant. I mean you need to look for a set that also has a Tsangan kit included, so it includes the normal bottom row AND the Tsangan bottom row (something like this: http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/greentea-base-kit/  or one of the previous Group Buy sets that you may find in the Classifieds section, for instance). That way you can mix the bottom row keys to make a full set for the G710+ bottom row. The only key missing will be a single 1x key and many keycap sets include one or two extra keycaps that could fit there.

DCS is a keycap profile, one made by Signature Plastics who make a lot of the Group Buy keycap sets. ABS is the plastic material used. Very few aftermarket keycap sets allow the backlight through only the legend parts of the keycaps due to the way they are made, although there are a few starting to be made now.

The G710+ has OEM profile keycaps which are taller than the DCS profile made by SP. So if you get an aftermarket DCS profile set, but use the stock spacebar with it it may feel and look a bit odd.

You're not going to find sets on Taobao that have all the keycap sizes you need for your G710+, Group Buy sets are your best bet.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline mbuilder

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 17:55:01 »
Not quite what I meant. I mean you need to look for a set that also has a Tsangan kit included, so it includes the normal bottom row AND the Tsangan bottom row (something like this: http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/greentea-base-kit/  or one of the previous Group Buy sets that you may find in the Classifieds section, for instance). That way you can mix the bottom row keys to make a full set for the G710+ bottom row. The only key missing will be a single 1x key and many keycap sets include one or two extra keycaps that could fit there.

DCS is a keycap profile, one made by Signature Plastics who make a lot of the Group Buy keycap sets. ABS is the plastic material used. Very few aftermarket keycap sets allow the backlight through only the legend parts of the keycaps due to the way they are made, although there are a few starting to be made now.

The G710+ has OEM profile keycaps which are taller than the DCS profile made by SP. So if you get an aftermarket DCS profile set, but use the stock spacebar with it it may feel and look a bit odd.

You're not going to find sets on Taobao that have all the keycap sizes you need for your G710+, Group Buy sets are your best bet.

Oh I think I see what you mean now (sorry if misunderstood it again  :(). So you are suggesting that I should get a kit that also has a Tsangan bottom row kit included so I am able to get a complete bottom row if I mix the normal bottom keys and Tsangan keys to make it work with a 6.5x spacebar? Are keycap sets generally around $40 or will they be cheaper if they were bought on Taobao (if I were to luckily find one).
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 September 2014, 17:57:47 by mbuilder »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 03:08:38 »
Yes, that's what I meant.

You won't find a set with a Tsangan option on Taobao. Group Buy keycaps and other high quality sets are more expensive then $40 a set.

So you have 3 options:

1. Buy a cheap set from Taobao and replace everything except the bottom row. If you can find some TaiHao white on black doubleshots, they're very decent keycaps for the price and the profile should match well enough to be usable.

2. Buy a more expensive higher quality set that includes all the keycaps you need except the spacebar and use them with the stock spacebar.

3. Buy a more expensive set and also order a 6.5x matching profile spacebar from PimpMyKeyboard / Signature Plastics, although it doesn't look like that order will reach tipping point, so they're probably not going to make them. There just aren't enough people with odd layout boards ordering them.

Then, in future, buy a keyboard with a standard layout so you have more options when replacing keycaps  ;)
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline mbuilder

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 17:18:32 »
Yes, that's what I meant.

You won't find a set with a Tsangan option on Taobao. Group Buy keycaps and other high quality sets are more expensive then $40 a set.

So you have 3 options:

1. Buy a cheap set from Taobao and replace everything except the bottom row. If you can find some TaiHao white on black doubleshots, they're very decent keycaps for the price and the profile should match well enough to be usable.

2. Buy a more expensive higher quality set that includes all the keycaps you need except the spacebar and use them with the stock spacebar.

3. Buy a more expensive set and also order a 6.5x matching profile spacebar from PimpMyKeyboard / Signature Plastics, although it doesn't look like that order will reach tipping point, so they're probably not going to make them. There just aren't enough people with odd layout boards ordering them.

Then, in future, buy a keyboard with a standard layout so you have more options when replacing keycaps  ;)

Ok Thank you for all your help and your fast replies! :) You have helped me learn alot about mechanical keybords and their layouts. :) I don't think this thread would be solved without you. :) If Max Keycaps go on sale, I might just get them as they are compatible and saves the hassle in finding compatibility with key. I might also see if Taobao has any TaiHao keycaps on sale as they look pretty decent(seems to look better than the stock keycaps on g710+ in terms of build quality) and cheap looking at the previous group buys. I think its these? http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.46.rmPJCx&id=36313641730&ns=1#detail or http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.109.rmPJCx&id=39191016622&ns=1#detail
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 September 2014, 17:57:54 by mbuilder »