Author Topic: IBM M13  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
IBM M13
« on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 18:51:00 »
I just recently made a purchase for an M13 keyboard which arrived today. This is my very first Model M keyboard and I wanted to know if all the switches should feel approximately the same and if it has ever happened to someone wherein the keyboard will click and register although the audible click sounds very off compared to all of the other keys when pressed. My left arrow key is doing this and it is bugging me T_T.

P.S. The left arrow still feels exactly the same as others when actuated although the sound isn't quite the same and is a lot less audible.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Re: IBM M13
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 19:07:40 »
Pull the key and reseat it.  Tilt the keyboard forward (away from you) when reseating it so the spring in the barrel stands up straight.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 19:15:50 »
There will be a little variance in the feeling of each key, that's just how it goes with buckling spring. If anything feels really different, the method E twentynine mentioned should fix it.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 19:29:18 »
If not, you can swap the pivot plate / spring assembly and bolt mod it which should really fix the issue. It is quite overkill for most though.

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 19:56:29 »
I jsut tried E TwentyNine's suggestion and it just feels like the spring is a lot less stiff on that key compared to the rest of the board

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 20:43:48 »
The next step I would do is pull the spring off that key, and off a key you don't use much ( one of the Fn, Pause/Break, etc) and swap them.

It's fairly simple, think there's a guide around here somewhere via the chopstick method...
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 21:10:04 »
Thanks. I will do that as soon as I get done with my program LOL. I shouldn't have any problems looking for the thread guide within our forums.