Poll

What is your Favorite Topre Switch Keyboard and Why?

CM Novatouch 45g
HHKB Pro 2 45g
HHKB Pro 2 Type-S 45g
Leopold FC66C (including EG model) 45g
µTron 45g
RF 87u variable
RF 87u silent variable
RF 87u 45g
RF 87u 55g
RF 104u variable
RF 104u high profile 45g
Type Heaven 104 45g

Author Topic: What is your Favorite Topre Switch Keyboard and Why?  (Read 6046 times)

Offline Hypersphere

What is your Favorite Topre Switch Keyboard and Why?
« on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 09:12:32 »
Please indicate your first choice of Topre-switch keyboards from the models listed. Different colors are included under the same model designation. Choose only one keyboard, but you may change your vote. The poll is set not to expire. You are invited to comment on your choice and to elaborate on sub-categories -- for example, you might wish to specify the color scheme or choice of blanks vs printed legends, etc.

Offline pbtforever

Re: What is your Favorite Topre Switch Keyboard and Why?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 09:47:58 »
How did you create a poll?

Microsoft Windows said it wasn't possible

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 09:51:35 »

+1

Also the poll needs more HHKB 55g Lubed and Silenced

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 12:17:23 »

I used a Mac. ;)

Seriously, I discovered that creating a poll was an option in Classifieds.

I have created a Topre poll over on DT, but I am interested in seeing the difference in preferences between DT and GH members.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 12:23:15 »

+1

Also the poll needs more HHKB 55g Lubed and Silenced

Yes, in fact I think I would like to try this mod, but I wanted to start with a poll that listed only the stock starting material. I also thought of including various colors, printed or nonprinted keycaps, and various mods, but the number of choices became unwieldy and I ran the risk of overlooking someone's favorite mod.

People could vote for one of the stock items and then post an explanation. For example, a person might vote for either a HHKB Pro 2 45g or RF 87u 55g and then explain that what they would really like to do is mod the HHKB to 55g and lubed.

Thanks for participating in the poll!

Offline pbtforever

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 12:54:24 »
So HOW?  Don't see an option in +Attachments and other option or a icon.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 13:25:37 »
There should be a "radio button" next to each choice in the poll. Click on the button to vote. You can also leave a post commenting on your vote or on choices that are not available, such as "My favorite is the RF 87u EK edition, but with transplanted 55g domes".

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 13:27:37 »
There should be a "radio button" next to each choice in the poll. Click on the button to vote. You can also leave a post commenting on your vote or on choices that are not available, such as "My favorite is the RF 87u EK edition, but with transplanted 55g domes".

He knows how to vote he wants to know how to start his own poll.... :D

Offline pbtforever

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 13:53:19 »
Exactly.

I voted Realforce 87 already.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 14:04:36 »
Being able to vote for only one keyboard, I chose the RF 87u 55g. I have this keyboard in black, and I have put a set of blue caps on the alpha, number, and arrow keys. All the others including the spacebar are black. The keyboard looks, sounds, and feels great.

I also have a HHKB Pro 2 (black, with white alpha keys and black mods). I love the 60% form factor and great layout of the HHKB, but I prefer the sound and feel of the RF 87u 55g. Both the RF and HHKB have great dye-sub PBT keycaps.

I have also tried the RF 87u 45g, Leopold FC660C, and CM Novatouch.

The RF 87u 45 was a close second to the RF 87u 55g, but I like the somewhat deeper sound and slightly heavier switch weight of the 55g model.

I like the FC660C sound and feel, but I do not like the stock keycaps or the layout. I also prefer the 60% form factor of the HHKB Pro 2 to the ~65% form factor of the FC660C.

The Novatouch is my least favorite among Topre-switch boards I have tried. It is good being able to put Cherry keycaps on Topre switches, but the switches feel lighter than other 45g ones I have tried, I didn't like the sound or feel of the stabilizers, and there was some excessive play between the plungers and switch housings on some of the switches on the board. I would also prefer to program my own Fn key so that there would not be any dead keys on the board (I can do this with the RF 87u). The lack of DIP switches on the Novatouch limits some intrinsic remapping options. Finally, if I were going with a TKL, it would be nice to have an embedded Num Pad and LEDs for CapsLock and NumLock.

Although I have not yet tried this mod, based on my liking for 55g Topre switches and the form factor and layout of the HHKB Pro 2, I think I would like to try a HHKB Pro 2 with 55g domes transplanted from an RF 87u 55g. I also think I might like to do a dental band or landing pad silencing mod on the HHKB Pro 2 or start with a Type-S HHKB Pro 2.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 15:10:40 »
The HHKB is out because 60% keyboards are too much of a compromise for my workflow since I frequently use the function layer, arrow, navigation, and editing keys. If I were to get the HHKB, I would want the Type S, but those suffer from the dreaded whistle, meaning I would probably get the standard model but lube/dental band it. That's not something I feel like undertaking. The FC660C partially addresses these issues, but for the price these boards are commanding, I'd prefer a standard tenkeyless layout.

55g boards are not under consideration for two reasons: 1) I don't like the feel of heavier switches and 2) I don't care for the deeper sound, particularly on rebound.

Space considerations eliminate all 104-key versions.

I love the idea of the Novatouch, but I'm seeing too many reports of spotty build quality and poor aftermarket keycap fit, which is disappointing given the price.

This leaves the variable and uniform 45g Realforce. The former in silent guise is my choice strictly for typing. Since my overall usage includes gaming as well, I ultimately picked the uniform 45g Realforce. I've said it plenty of times on this forum, but the addition of lube and silicone to the board I'm using at home right now gives me the best of all worlds: Excellent typing feel, solid gaming performance, low noise levels, and minimal loss of key travel when compared to the stock silent Realforce. Even without the modifications, I'd still go with the uniform 45g as a daily driver for work and play.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 September 2014, 15:12:41 by saturnotaku »

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 15:12:59 »
I would also prefer to program my own Fn key so that there would not be any dead keys on the board (I can do this with the RF 87u).

Sorry, confused by that line. As far as I'm aware the 87U is not programmable?
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 15:15:22 »

Not in hardware, but with software such as Karabiner if you're on Mac OS.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 16:59:36 »
I would also prefer to program my own Fn key so that there would not be any dead keys on the board (I can do this with the RF 87u).

My apologies. You are correct -- the RF 87u is not programmable apart from what you can do with the DIP switch settings. I have grown accustomed to remapping my keyboards using software. My primary OS is Mac OS X, and I use the excellent free remapping software, Karabiner. Using this software with the RF 87u, I have remapped Right Control as Fn and the "Menu" key as Right Control. Because all the keys on the RF send scan codes, all of them can be remapped with software. In contrast, the Novatouch has a "hardwired" Fn key that does not send a scan code to the computer; consequently, it can only be used for its pre-programmed functions and cannot be remapped using software. As a result, because I use the Right Control as Fn, the original Fn key on the Novatouch ends up being a dead key for me.

Another contrast is the Kul ES-87. This is a Cherry mx switch keyboard, but I happen to be testing it at the moment, and it has the delightful feature of being able to change the mapping of the Fn key using a DIP switch. So, on my Kul, I can have Right Ctrl as Fn and Fn as Right Control, and the resulting Fn key can take on various functions by using Karabiner software. The Kul also has DIP switch settings for swapping CapsLock and Control and swapping Backspace and Backslash. If the Kul came with Topre switches, it might be my new favorite.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 19:29:10 »
Another contrast is the Kul ES-87. This is a Cherry mx switch keyboard, but I happen to be testing it at the moment, and it has the delightful feature of being able to change the mapping of the Fn key using a DIP switch. So, on my Kul, I can have Right Ctrl as Fn and Fn as Right Control, and the resulting Fn key can take on various functions by using Karabiner software. The Kul also has DIP switch settings for swapping CapsLock and Control and swapping Backspace and Backslash. If the Kul came with Topre switches, it might be my new favorite.

The Realforce can swap caps lock with control via DIP switch. I wish it could switch windows/command with alt/option through hardware. I tried the KUL briefly myself and felt the same way about its DIP switch options - very flexible. However, my personal favorite board in this regard is the WASD CODE.

In the end, there aren't many Mac-friendly mechanical keyboards out there, and I wish the Realforce were one of them.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 22:22:59 »

The Realforce can swap caps lock with control via DIP switch. I wish it could switch windows/command with alt/option through hardware. I tried the KUL briefly myself and felt the same way about its DIP switch options - very flexible. However, my personal favorite board in this regard is the WASD CODE.

In the end, there aren't many Mac-friendly mechanical keyboards out there, and I wish the Realforce were one of them.

I've been testing the Kul more thoroughly this evening. I really wanted to like typing on this board, because I admire the feature set very much. For one thing, it is rare to find a board other than the HHKB Pro 2 that has a provision for swapping the Backspace and Backslash keys. Regrettably, I just could not enjoy typing on the Kul. This is the first time I had tried mx clears, and I have now added these to the list of Cherry mx switches that I do not like.

I am typing this on my RF 87u black 55g connected to my Mac and thoroughly enjoying the experience. With the Mac keyboard preferences and Karabiner software, I am able to remap the RF to a HHKB/Mac layout. Thus, the RF is at least as Mac friendly as my IBM Model M, IBM SSK, IBM XT, and other keyboards that I have successfully use with my Mac.

The HHKB Pro 2 is inherently Mac friendly and does not really need remapping software.

One thing I like about Topre switches is that their actuation and tactile points seem to coincide, and they allow an easy continuation of the stroke to the bottom. In this way, they are similar to IBM buckling spring switches, which are also at the top of my preference list.

Offline dante

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 23:11:20 »
I chose the Topre Typeheaven for my favorite Topre for the same reasons I choose the IBM M2 as my favorite buckling spring and Cherry MX 3.0 for my favorite Cherry board: Lower profile.

I could probably be happy with any of the Topre switches but the Type Heavens slightly thinner profile seals the deal.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 23:25:55 »
HHKB.  The lack of a plate just makes Topre enjoyable to me.  The plate mounted Topre always feel like crap to me.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 03:18:25 »
45G HHKB PRO JP

Perfect weight for all day and night typing. Great board, case, layout, feeling. Have an ansi set mixed in for English layout.

Runner up, 45G Realforce 104UB-DK. Same weight and almost the same feeling but with a plate. So a tad different. Great uniform weight and perfect stock cap set.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 September 2014, 03:21:59 by dustinhxc »

Offline MahBoi

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 11:45:41 »
Between my HHKB Pro 2 Type-S and my Realforce 86U variable weight, I gotta go with the Realforce.

It's the sturdiest and best-feeling keyboard I have (aside from the Model M SSK). I've used it at work for the past 3 years, and it still hasn't lost its magic.

Granted, the 86U isn't on the list, but it's more or less an 87U minus a right Windows key and with some features omitted.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 13:53:37 »
My favourite isn't on that list... RealForce 55g domes in a Leopold FC660C.

I like the solidity and layout of the 660C and prefer the feeling of the 55g domes over the 45g ones, although the FC660C makes the 45g ones feel better than they feel in a HHKB, IMHO.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 14:29:33 »
My favourite isn't on that list... RealForce 55g domes in a Leopold FC660C.

I like the solidity and layout of the 660C and prefer the feeling of the 55g domes over the 45g ones, although the FC660C makes the 45g ones feel better than they feel in a HHKB, IMHO.
Yes, I probably should have included options for mods of Topre-switch boards. Anyway, I am glad you posted your preference even though your choice was not in the list.

I like my 45g and 55g RFs about equally well, although I would give a slight edge to the 55g. I also have a HHKB Pro 2, which is my favorite form factor and layout, but I don't like the return-stroke "clack", and I've thought that a heavier switch might feel better. I've thought of putting 55g domes into the HHKB, but then I wonder if I should do a dental band mod first or get a Type-S.

Doing these mods gets to be expensive! It would be good if we could buy separate Topre components, such as domes, without having to buy a complete keyboard to serve as a donor.

Offline long813

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 16:04:53 »
Personally I love the FC660C layout. I use the arrows keys extensively in excel and I appreciate a physical key for it.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 16:19:31 »
I like my 45g and 55g RFs about equally well, although I would give a slight edge to the 55g. I also have a HHKB Pro 2, which is my favorite form factor and layout, but I don't like the return-stroke "clack", and I've thought that a heavier switch might feel better. I've thought of putting 55g domes into the HHKB, but then I wonder if I should do a dental band mod first or get a Type-S.

I would try the dental band first, as the mod doesn't look that hard to do. With the Type-S you run the risk of getting a board that whistles. Someone created a Youtube video specifically calling out the issue. In subsequent viewing of other video of people just typing on the S, the whistle becomes pretty apparent and would drive me up a wall. Fortunately my 87U silent doesn't appear to suffer from this, or if it does, it's so minute that I don't notice it. With the premium price the Type-S commands, IMO, the risk isn't worth it. From what I've seen, dental banding gives 90% of the Type-S at a fraction of the price. It just takes a bit of time and patience.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 16:21:10 »
Why can't I view results? And why isn't there an Other option?

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 17:07:00 »
Why can't I view results? And why isn't there an Other option?
If you vote, you should then be able to view the results.

Sorry that there is no "Other" option. There are also no options for various possibilities that require modifying commercially available keyboards, such as transplanting 55g domes from an RF 87u 55g into a HHKB Pro 2 to yield a custom HHKB Pro 2 55g. If such an "other" is your preference, you could describe it in a post. I prefer not to try editing the poll at this stage, because this might result in deleting the results obtained thus far. Thanks.

Offline cphead

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 11:21:00 »
I'm guessing most people who vote haven't tried all of these boards, so how can they know which is their favorite  :-\

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 09:07:56 »
I'm guessing most people who vote haven't tried all of these boards, so how can they know which is their favorite  :-\
Yes, a good guess I would say! One of the many flaws of polls.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 12:53:11 »

I havent tried:

CM Novatouch 45g

HHKB Pro 2 Type-S 45g (Have tried Realforce silent purple sliders in HHKB)

µTron 45g

RF 104u high profile 45g

Type Heaven 104 45g