Author Topic: Hello! I'm kevin and i'm new here!  (Read 1044 times)

Offline kevin

Hello! I'm kevin and i'm new here!
« on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 09:48:54 »
Hello geekhackers, my name is kevin and im new to mechanical keyboards, bought my first just 3 months ago with support from /r/mechanicalkeyboards ( hope i am not hated already  ;D )
I'm already thinking about buying my second board, so much money.
i hope to have a great time here.

WASD V2

Offline Coreda

Re: Hello! I'm kevin and i'm new here!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 09:58:32 »
I don't think anyone can be hated for sharing an interest in mechanical boards ;) Welcome!

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 10:41:55 »
Hello!

What did you get for your first board? I had such a hard time choosing what to go with for my first MX board. What are you thinking about for your second? It is something isn't it...so much $$$$ spent in so little time!
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline mreverything

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 10:43:39 »
Welcome!

Offline kevin

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 11:43:20 »
Hello!

What did you get for your first board? I had such a hard time choosing what to go with for my first MX board. What are you thinking about for your second? It is something isn't it...so much $$$$ spent in so little time!

My first keyboard was a WASD v2 with browns, i wanted some nice colors without spending stupid amounts of extra money, the imports were already ludicrously high, i know the keys are not amazing (thing as can be really) but i still like the board alot.
You are right though, it took me loads of time to get my first keyboard.
I am currently looking for a smaller keyboard for uni, people don't really like me using a keyboard with blues it seems :)
The biggest amount of money is gonna go in key caps i think, so many cool sets and novelties!!

WASD V2

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 11:52:59 »
Hello!

My first keyboard was a WASD v2 with browns, i wanted some nice colors without spending stupid amounts of extra money, the imports were already ludicrously high, i know the keys are not amazing (thing as can be really) but i still like the board alot.
I am currently looking for a smaller keyboard for uni, people don't really like me using a keyboard with blues it seems :)
The biggest amount of money is gonna go in key caps i think, so many cool sets and novelties!!

My first MX board was a WASD too...I got the CODE. I do like it a lot. I don't think the standard WASD caps are bad at all. I have some that are custom printed, and I find them to be very nice. I know they aren't super thick, and I know they are ABS, but it's not like the advertise that they are anything more than that. I don't have any complaints about them at all.

I got a Poker II as my second board, and it is fantastic! If you are considering 60%, it is the way to go as far as I'm concerned. I use it more often than the CODE, even though it has blues and probably annoys the heck of out everyone around me. Annoyed co-workers has been a small price to pay for happy fingers, thus far anyway. I'm have a v60 coming in the mail with Blacks...hoping that will keep the cube-mates happy.

Then those caps! It is like a never ending money pit. But it is fun!
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline kevin

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 12:03:37 »
Hello!

My first MX board was a WASD too...I got the CODE. I do like it a lot. I don't think the standard WASD caps are bad at all. I have some that are custom printed, and I find them to be very nice. I know they aren't super thick, and I know they are ABS, but it's not like the advertise that they are anything more than that. I don't have any complaints about them at all.

I got a Poker II as my second board, and it is fantastic! If you are considering 60%, it is the way to go as far as I'm concerned. I use it more often than the CODE, even though it has blues and probably annoys the heck of out everyone around me. Annoyed co-workers has been a small price to pay for happy fingers, thus far anyway. I'm have a v60 coming in the mail with Blacks...hoping that will keep the cube-mates happy.

Then those caps! It is like a never ending money pit. But it is fun!

I don't really have a problem with them either, not gonna do much with em anyway.
60% Is probably the way to go for me, we'll see though, depends on if i buy a surface pro or not :)

WASD V2

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 20:05:12 »
Welcome!

I like the surface pro a lot, I think you should go for it.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 00:18:22 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

60% are great - I have an HHKB :)

No reason why you should not get a 60% whether you get a Surface Pro or not ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ