Author Topic: Asus ROG Gladius  (Read 9282 times)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
Asus ROG Gladius
« on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 23:18:33 »
I just placed an order for this mouse from Skycomp here in Australia (go figure we get something faster than anyone else).

Only interested in it's ability to swap Omron switches with any you like.  Without soldering any of them, good one Asus  :thumb: .

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
Re: Asus ROG Gladius
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 12:24:42 »
I just placed an order for this mouse from Skycomp here in Australia (go figure we get something faster than anyone else).

Only interested in it's ability to swap Omron switches with any you like.  Without soldering any of them, good one Asus  :thumb: .

Wow, this one flew under my radar. I'll probably try this one out and see if I like it more than my torq. I'm more interested in the fact that it has a removable cable and the fact that you can hot swap the switches.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 19:26:55 »
I'm more interested in the fact that it has a removable cable and the fact that you can hot swap the switches.

This is perhaps the ONLY real interest in this mouse.  Surprised no one else has jumped onto providing ease of swapping omron's any earlier than Asus.  Nothing about sensor being used but their figures match closely to Razer's DA2013 model, I HOPE their quality is way above Razer's, that alone will guarantee huge sales in their favour.

Fast becoming a real Asus wh0re here, they get me all wet thinking about their next product line  8) .  I just love their Motherboards, Video Cards and now their Gladius.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 22:32:38 »
Hotswap switches are a cool feature! Go on asus!
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 22:36:11 »
I'm more interested in the fact that it has a removable cable and the fact that you can hot swap the switches.

This is perhaps the ONLY real interest in this mouse.  Surprised no one else has jumped onto providing ease of swapping omron's any earlier than Asus.  Nothing about sensor being used but their figures match closely to Razer's DA2013 model, I HOPE their quality is way above Razer's, that alone will guarantee huge sales in their favour.

Fast becoming a real Asus wh0re here, they get me all wet thinking about their next product line  8) .  I just love their Motherboards, Video Cards and now their Gladius.

Now if only Asus support and warranty service wasn't utter ****.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 03:28:29 »

I've RMA'd a motherboard last year - took 4 months to get that new board but it came through eventually. 

Here in Convict Town have personally dealt with Logitech RMA and it's by far the worst.  I know you guys in the US enjoy a far better service, just never come here and buy anything from Logitech because you'll know what real pain is when it comes to dealing with them.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 03:36:32 »

I've RMA'd a motherboard last year - took 4 months to get that new board but it came through eventually. 

Here in Convict Town have personally dealt with Logitech RMA and it's by far the worst.  I know you guys in the US enjoy a far better service, just never come here and buy anything from Logitech because you'll know what real pain is when it comes to dealing with them.

I've heard of people taking over a year to get an RMA with Asus in the US and there are countless horror stories of BS RMA denials.  In the US you always have to take pictures before you send it in or your mobo will end up with components mysteriously damaged, gouges in the mobo, and so on. 

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 08:09:36 »
In the US you always have to take pictures before you send it in or your mobo will end up with components mysteriously damaged, gouges in the mobo, and so on.

Geezus, it sounds like your Corporations are starting to operate like Aussies, with extreme prejudice towards it's customers.  Damn, needing to take pics because you can't trust a business to handle your RMA.............  :o .

Why is it you guys always copy the worst things from us here, from down under?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 11:02:43 »
LOL , wow talk about gimmicky...

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 01:46:42 »
This baby has arrived today (just now) and broke it loose from it's packaging (Skycomp did a brilliant job packaging this critter).

It arrived in it's standard Black and Red coloured box with Asus Logo well endowed.  The mouse is packed in the center as you flip it open to see it's shape perfect for shop counter displays.

Inside the box you get a small draw string black bag which contains two cables, one is 42 inches in length and is made from soft rubber which is almost like the old style IE 3.0 style.  The second cable is black braided and is about 79 inches in length.  So you have 2 choices in cable lengths to use with your Gladius.  Nice idea in which you choose how long a cable you need to use with your PC setup.  The best thing about detaching the cable you have a slide switch (under the mouse near the upper left side) you need to slide it down to disengage the cable from it's micro usb slot, hence you can never lose connection unless you want it to  :thumb: .

The other thing of note you get supplied by them (Asus) an extra set of plastic feet plus 2 extra standard Omron switches (a first by any manufacturer supplying extra switches for your customized use).  Down side they supplied Chinese made omron's but that's okay because I have about 20 or so Japanese made beggars to use with this mouse, when it's required.  This is the ONLY current manufacturer that authorizes your effort to open up the mouse and replace the omron's by yourself without dropping any Warranty Support for it (try doing that with any current Logitech, Razer or Zowie rodents).

Thus far using the mouse without it's software driver is easy as hell, the omron's work as intended, not refined like older Japanese made ones but they do their task.  The shape of the mouse is exactly like an IE 3.0 BUT with a slightly raised hump for palm support.  I like it a lot, while most other mouse manufacturers have gone flatter and flatter with their designs Asus have gone up providing a very comfortable support for my right hand.  Then again I have large paws hence this mouse is perfect for me but for the smaller handed people, you better stick with the traditional WMO series.

The Gladius also has side rubber patterning that makes it easy to lift it, but that's for the relentless gamer wanting to bash the device for no other reason then to see how tough it's built.  It is very robust and even I can't make it squeal when I tense up my right hand trying hard to crush the device.  The DA2013 just breaks like a cheap toy but this baby keeps on working like a Tonka truck.

For a dumb, blue collar thug such as myself, it's perfect you can't easily break it and it works as intended.  Asus have tried to enter a field in which it gives the end user some extra incentives to modify his/her device with ease and still remains fully covered under their 3 year warranty.

Nothing to b1tch about here just need to use it for a week or two before giving it a total thumbs up.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 September 2014, 01:50:29 by Elrick »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 02:02:24 »
A side note, I picked up a magnifying glass and seen that the 2 extra Omron's provided in the Gladius Package, is in fact Japanese Made switches, go figure  :o .

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 02:04:19 »
This is another IE3.0 clone, right? Is the sensor optical at least?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 02:54:00 »
This is another IE3.0 clone, right? Is the sensor optical at least?

On the back of their box it's written as quoted -  "Tracking: 6400 dpi optical sensor / 200 ips, 50g acceleration.   Responsiveness: 1000 Hz polling rate".

I don't want to rip apart the mouse to see what actual sensor it's using but I suspect it's the same as Razer's DA2013 (my own personnel opinion here).

More info here:  http://rog.asus.com/324792014/gaming-keyboards-gaming-mice/gladius-rog-gaming-mouse-crafted-comfort-customizable-clicks/
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 September 2014, 02:56:47 by Elrick »

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 03:02:27 »
This seems like my next mouse... I don't know much about these switches, any chance you can get a quiet one, and what is the benefit of being able to hotswap (other than if they break)?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 03:56:03 »
I don't know much about these switches, any chance you can get a quiet one, and what is the benefit of being able to hotswap (other than if they break)?

The Japanese ones seem to be slightly quiet compared to the Chinese made ones.  Only comes from personnel experience here, but really old Jap ones in early Microsoft Mice with mechanical balls, have some really quiet switches.

I don't know of any other that exhibit less sound than an omron other than a completely sealed rubber based switches, that typically don't last long when used.

Offline elitemav

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 06:40:50 »
I really want to test this one out I've pretty much tested everything out there and my fav mouse is the Zowie FK1 and also have a Logitech G502 but always looking for anything that I feel is better but haven't yet.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 20:33:08 »
I really want to test this one out I've pretty much tested everything out there and my fav mouse is the Zowie FK1 and also have a Logitech G502 but always looking for anything that I feel is better but haven't yet.

The Gladius is definitely bigger than a FK1 and G502.  Hence before you start dishing out the money decide if your hand will be comfortable in using a larger sized mouse.  I have also received the DEATHADDER CHROMA and side by side they almost look identical.

We're lucky these days because WE have at our disposal literally dozens of decent mice to purchase.  Whatever you choose to buy make sure you will love using it and keeping it.  I have so many residing in bottom desk drawers doing nothing, simply because I was curious.  Don't end up like me  ::) .

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 20:47:47 »
Curious how the wheel will be.   Addicted to the logitech mx performance
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 21:22:44 »
Curious how the wheel will be.   Addicted to the logitech mx performance

Geez, if you''re in love with Logitech's Scroll Wheel, there is nothing out there made by anyone that can match it.  The "Free-scroll" is perfect so don't expect anyone to ever match it soon.

The Gladius has the traditional scroll wheel but with less pronounced bumps when moved up or down, you can't hear the movement but you can feel it.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 22:44:42 »

The Gladius is definitely bigger than a FK1 and G502.  Hence before you start dishing out the money decide if your hand will be comfortable in using a larger sized mouse.  I have also received the DEATHADDER CHROMA and side by side they almost look identical.

We're lucky these days because WE have at our disposal literally dozens of decent mice to purchase.  Whatever you choose to buy make sure you will love using it and keeping it.  I have so many residing in bottom desk drawers doing nothing, simply because I was curious.  Don't end up like me  ::) .

Gladius might be my next mouse then. I have huge hands and love big mice!

Offline blackbox

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 14:10:57 »

Gladius might be my next mouse then. I have huge hands and love big mice!

Same here. Still using the logitech mx510 but I might switch if it breaks.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!

Offline exit

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 05:06:49 »
Gladius definently does use the sensor on the DA 2k13

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 10:37:29 »
i love that you can replace the usb cable! A custom sleeved usb would look cool!  :thumb:

Offline elitemav

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 17:07:41 »
I agree that is an awesome feature plus ive known people to have dogs and other pets chew the cords on there mouse making it useless so with this they could just use the other cable or buy a new one without having to replace the entire unit.

Offline ADFX_Pixy

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 22:11:27 »
I like that you can switch the microswitches in the mouse. I would like to try Huano switches since the idea of a heavy click intrigues me.
CM Storm Quickfire Stealth Cherry MX Brown
Mechanicalkeyboards.com MK 2016 Cherry MX Brown

Offline blackbox

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 10:19:30 »

The LAN table!

Offline .Bryan

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 12:28:22 »
Found this review on the ROG.asus website.

Offline Rebral

• .::.::.::.::.
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 20:44:45 »
I'm really liking the replaceable switches.
Might pick this one up when it becomes available in the US.