Author Topic: I'm new, for keyboard with auto releasing shift key  (Read 894 times)

Offline Erhy

I'm new, for keyboard with auto releasing shift key
« on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 06:39:20 »
Hello,
I registered to Geekhack because I search a way
to have a auto release function of the shift key
for a Windows 8.1 keyboard.
This, because often happens, that the first two letters of
a word are upper case letters, although only one should be.
e.g.
AMerica

Most I write in German with many words in capital letters on beginning.

Perhaps it would also help to modify the timing of release the shift-key.

Thank you for advice if you know to manage it

Erhy

Offline Coreda

Re: I'm new, for keyboard with auto releasing shift key
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 08:20:44 »
This maybe could be achieved using AutoHotkey, with some kind of timing. You could search for it online in case someone has thought of a similar AHK script.

Also perhaps a mod could move the thread into the keyboards section for more visibility :) Welcome, btw!

Offline Premonition

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 10:29:23 »
You could use StickyKeys in Windows, which makes Shift automatically apply to the next keypress only if you tap it, or function normally if you hold it. I use it and the transition is smooth whether it's on or off.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 20:40:12 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I do that all the time, in all operating systems :rolleyes:

Some (did it on "Some" too, btw) people say that using Caps Lock instead of Shift helps, although it does mean an extra keypress to turn it off again afterwards.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 20:45:48 »
The TMK keyboard firmware for Atmega32u4 based controllers has this function.  This can be used on the GH60, Phantom, SmallFry/JD40, couple factory keyboards with aftermarket controllers.  However, I feel that enabling Sticky keys would probably be the best option.  The way to turn it on is to just tap shift 5 times quickly until the pop up window comes up.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich