Author Topic: Unicomp, for gaming?  (Read 9635 times)

Offline supamesican

Unicomp, for gaming?
« on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 16:47:43 »
I know their buckling spring keyboards are amazing for typing, and being a coder that is something I have a lot of value for, but I haven't heard much about them being used for gaming.  I mostly play fps and rpgs, and the occasional match of planetary annihilation(rts) no mmos as of now but I suppose its possible for that to change.

Would a unicomp be good enough for gaming, or should I get a DAS s pro or Topre Type Heaven instead? And would it matter if I got a ps/2 or usb one? I've really only uses PS/2 before, some how those were always the ones on sale when I got a keyboard.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Unicomp, for gaming?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 17:10:26 »
Nope. MX is the clear winner in all manners of gaming. Topre is manageable in an ARTS scenario, but not much else.

That said, if Unicomps are 6KRO or more it might be tolerable.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 17:12:36 »
I use a 2KRO Model M for gaming occasionally. In FPS, I have occasionally experienced keys failing to register. In RPGs, I actually haven't had much trouble, but I am a RPG lightweight, and I don't actually press more than 2 non-modifier keys at once anyway.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline dante

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 17:25:42 »
ps/2 or usb doesn't matter.  I've somewhat side stepped the 2kro limit with additional buttons on the mouse.  You might drop a keystroke here or there but overall if you like the feel of the Unicomp it would be a good choice.

Offline supamesican

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 17:29:07 »
I've somewhat side stepped the 2kro limit with additional buttons on the mouse. 

You mean like how some mice have extra buttons beyond the right, left, and middle click buttons?

Offline dante

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 17:32:34 »

You mean like how some mice have extra buttons beyond the right, left, and middle click buttons?

yes sir

Offline supamesican

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 18:05:11 »

yes sir

Huh, well I may need to get a DAS then... While I'd love a unicomp for typing(and very likely will get one next summer anyway and just switch them out) I do need something that can do both right now.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 18:18:33 »
My recommendation would be a unicomp and an orbweaver.  From what I remember of the prices that combo shouldn't be to much more than a Das. 
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 19:16:24 »
I have a Model M hooked up to my computer. I use it for gaming (mostly play BF4 and occasionally CS/GMod) and haven't really had any problems. I might get the occasional missed keystroke but no where as near as bad when I was using the $30 wireless Logitech. That thing ruined Far Cry 3 for me. many of what could have been awesome moments were turned into desk thumping why nows. Just remember I am pretty light hearted when it comes to games. For me its not a big concern when I get the occasional fail, whereas some people take their games very seriously. In that case it would probably be one of those situations where you would look at an alternative.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 19:27:19 »

Huh, well I may need to get a DAS then... While I'd love a unicomp for typing(and very likely will get one next summer anyway and just switch them out) I do need something that can do both right now.

This topic comes up often:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61606.0

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=14852.0

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59349.0

A Unicomp will be fine for gaming.  If you have any problems with 2KRO you can change your keyboard preferences in game easily enough.  I've hit it rarely on an M (and never now on an capacitive BS).

The only thing you really need to worry about is the key action/feel, and that comes down to personal preference.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Parak

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 20:33:34 »
Another BS full timer (and thusly gamer) here, though on a capacitive board (so nkro). I like knowing that my key registers, and don't care about spamming (I have a G600 if I need that). My lack of skill hurts more than having any kind of a 'gaming' switch, if there's even such a thing.

Offline supamesican

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 20:43:07 »
though on a capacitive board (so nkro).

What all keyboards had captive buckling spring? I thought it was just the model F. That may be one area I could look in.

Ether way I think i'm probably just gonna get the unicomp, since you last 3 pretty much convinced me, and if its that bad, when I get out of uni next year and get a job get the DAS s ultimate.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 20:48:25 »

This topic comes up often:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61606.0

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=14852.0

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59349.0

A Unicomp will be fine for gaming.  If you have any problems with 2KRO you can change your keyboard preferences in game easily enough.  I've hit it rarely on an M (and never now on an capacitive BS).

The only thing you really need to worry about is the key action/feel, and that comes down to personal preference.

That's my trick :p

Anyway, I use my Model M for gaming sometimes.  Basically I just game on whatever keyboard happens to be connected to the computer at the time.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 20:49:02 »
If you are going to get a second board just for gaming might I suggest either an orbweaver or half an ergo dox as a gaming keypad.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline supamesican

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 21:16:53 »
If you are going to get a second board just for gaming might I suggest either an orbweaver or half an ergo dox as a gaming keypad.

I'm probably getting an orbweaver regardless, dat thumb stick I want it.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 21:29:50 »

I actually prefered the hat switch on the Nostromo more than the orbweaver.  Though I am getting used to the Orbweaver, I still have a lot of miss clicks in a couple directions.

Offline supamesican

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 21:41:27 »

I actually prefered the hat switch on the Nostromo more than the orbweaver.  Though I am getting used to the Orbweaver, I still have a lot of miss clicks in a couple directions.

The nostromo does look nicer, but also costs quite a bit more.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 21:44:05 »

The nostromo does look nicer, but also costs quite a bit more.

Probably due to availability.  It is an older model that was rubber dome with the new Orbweaver being MX blues and apparently they had a different version with browns.  I have since swapped out the LED's for blue ones, and the WASD for reds with the rest being clears.

Offline Parak

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 22:43:46 »

What all keyboards had captive buckling spring? I thought it was just the model F. That may be one area I could look in.

Ether way I think i'm probably just gonna get the unicomp, since you last 3 pretty much convinced me, and if its that bad, when I get out of uni next year and get a job get the DAS s ultimate.

Nope, just the various Fs. If you don't mind the layout, XT is the cheapest, but 122 Fs can sometimes be obtained at relatively reasonable prices too. All Fs but AT need some work to convert them to USB though, and even on the AT I still suggest that conversion to get full remapping via the Soarer's adapter (or replacement controller). But yeah, if you want usb plug and play, Unicomp is the only option unless you buy a premodded board from somewhere (doesn't come up often).

Offline supamesican

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 11:44:43 »

Nope, just the various Fs. If you don't mind the layout, XT is the cheapest, but 122 Fs can sometimes be obtained at relatively reasonable prices too. All Fs but AT need some work to convert them to USB though, and even on the AT I still suggest that conversion to get full remapping via the Soarer's adapter (or replacement controller). But yeah, if you want usb plug and play, Unicomp is the only option unless you buy a premodded board from somewhere (doesn't come up often).

I'll probably just get the unicomp( ps/2 most likely now because I wanna be that nerd) then, I'd rather not have to go through the hassle of doing the mods.
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 September 2014, 11:49:59 by supamesican »

Offline dante

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 12:02:52 »
Good choice.  I'm probably going to buy another Unicomp this year but I'm waiting until December to get one manufactured on my birthday.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 12:14:41 »
Keep in mind Unicomp has said that this winter will be when they're releasing their new tenkeyless board.

(Stop laughing!)
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline johndavis33

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 12:40:18 »
How can you guys all game with a BS board? My M13 always fails to register when I'm playing any sort of game. I've tried a few times to play FPS games with it and every time it's unplayable. It's NBD for me, though, because I can always just switch to another keyboard.
HAVE AND WILL KEEP: HHKB - Printed white | Ducky Banana edition - Whites | Model M13 | Unidentified Goodwill keyboard - Simplified black ALPS
TOO BE SOLD: TG3 BL82 - Clears | Wheelwrite 5 - Buckling Springs typewriter
SOLD: Rosewill RK9000 - Blacks | QFR - Blues | Ducky G2 Pro - Greens |
IT WILL BE MINE: Northgate Omnikey - White ALPS

Offline Premonition

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 14:03:36 »
Just my 2 cents, I'm totally fine on a Topre for MOBA/RTS (mid-platinum league player using HHKB and, before, an FC660C), but for RPGs I think there would definitely be better choices. Good luck trying to play Maplestory on an HHKB, haha.

Offline supamesican

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 16:07:33 »
Keep in mind Unicomp has said that this winter will be when they're releasing their new tenkeyless board.

(Stop laughing!)

I personally hate tekkeyless keyboards, but thats good news for both people who do like them and all of us cause it means they're willing to make new stuff.

Hopefully some day they make a back lit one.

Offline Premonition

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 18:27:06 »

(Stop laughing!)

I personally hate tekkeyless keyboards, but thats good news for both people who do like them and all of us cause it means they're willing to make new stuff.

Hopefully some day they make a back lit one.

Hrm, I think it was a joke since Unicomp is known for BSing in their announcements (traditional April Fool's is to post about an 'incoming' SSK model from them), but I guess we'll see. There are plenty of reasons why it's really expensive to change their production mold, though.

Offline supamesican

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 17:26:19 »
Not trying to bump a finished topic but I thought this may help some people.
I sent in a support ticket with unicomp, about what kind of n key roll over they have, before I made this topic. Anyway this is the response I got:

"Given the way we connect our switch matrix, I guess our statement about phantom keys and rollover is, unfortunately, complicated. Our keyboards will support any one to four modifier key combination ( Shift, Control, Alt or GUI keys) plus a fifth key as long as 1) no Left+Right modifier keys(Left+Right Shift, Left+Right Control, etc. ) are involved in the combination and 2) neither the Pause key nor the Caps Lock key are the fifth key. Our original intent was to support multikey sequences required by any Microsoft OS or Application and to the best of my knowledge, that's still true. Of course our keyboards will support other key combinations larger than five key sequences without generating a phantom key situation and there are some 3 key sequences which will generate a phantom so it's difficult to a generic statement beyond the one above.
As for rollover, the HID and boot protocol standards limit our USB keyboards to six key rollover. The buffer sizes and key processing in our PS/2 controller limit those keyboards to 7 or 8 key rollover.
"

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 23:36:20 »
dude you can game on whatever the hell switch you want.

there is no gaming switch, and whomever tells you there is is full of ****.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 00:04:27 »

Or a Razer fanboi

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 00:10:16 »

Or a Razer fanboi

but muh oranges
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 05:11:46 »
Not trying to bump a finished topic but I thought this may help some people.
I sent in a support ticket with unicomp, about what kind of n key roll over they have, before I made this topic. Anyway this is the response I got:

"Given the way we connect our switch matrix, I guess our statement about phantom keys and rollover is, unfortunately, complicated. Our keyboards will support any one to four modifier key combination ( Shift, Control, Alt or GUI keys) plus a fifth key as long as 1) no Left+Right modifier keys(Left+Right Shift, Left+Right Control, etc. ) are involved in the combination and 2) neither the Pause key nor the Caps Lock key are the fifth key. Our original intent was to support multikey sequences required by any Microsoft OS or Application and to the best of my knowledge, that's still true. Of course our keyboards will support other key combinations larger than five key sequences without generating a phantom key situation and there are some 3 key sequences which will generate a phantom so it's difficult to a generic statement beyond the one above.
As for rollover, the HID and boot protocol standards limit our USB keyboards to six key rollover. The buffer sizes and key processing in our PS/2 controller limit those keyboards to 7 or 8 key rollover.
"

Key rollover is determined firstly by the matrix layout of the membranes (since you can't fit diodes in there you can only have one key per column / row registered at a time, they get around this by splitting up the rows and columns and combining keys that have less likelihood of being pressed at the same time) and then by the controller and protocol used. I like having a full NKRO matrix with diodes, but only need a 6KRO controller / protocol combination.

Unicomp membranes would be classified as 2KRO, like most Model M's. This is the lowest number of keys you can press simultaneously without them interfering with each other. It's possible to press the same number of keys as the number of row lines without interference (different row and column for each press) which in many membrane boards is 8, but the number used for key rollover is the minimum, not the maximum. Model F's use capacitive sensing, so technically have NKRO matrix. When used with USB, however, many of the converters will have only implemented the USB keyboard boot protocol which is 6KRO.

You can check your commonly used gaming keys for interference using AquaKeyTest.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 07:27:24 »
Unicomp membranes would be classified as 2KRO, like most Model M's. This is the lowest number of keys you can press simultaneously without them interfering with each other. It's possible to press the same number of keys as the number of row lines without interference (different row and column for each press) which in many membrane boards is 8, but the number used for key rollover is the minimum, not the maximum. Model F's use capacitive sensing, so technically have NKRO matrix. When used with USB, however, many of the converters will have only implemented the USB keyboard boot protocol which is 6KRO.

Barring controller limitations, on a matrix membrane keyboard it's possible to press [num rows]+[num cols]-2 simultaneously, which for an M is 8+16-2=22.

I've gotten 16 at once on an M with a PS/2 port, but should be able to get 22 if I figured out which keys fall where and didn't hit a controller limit.

Offline JunkFace

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 23:27:48 »

Or a Razer fanboi

but muh oranges

xD

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 23:54:06 »
I have an issue when playing CSGO with my Model M where I'll be pressing W to move forward and sometimes it'll just stop, so I have to repress. This is when I'm only pressing the W key, so KRO doesn't seem to be the issue.

Another note: Using AquaKey Test, I seem to have 6KRO with my Model M. I'm using a PS2/USB adapter.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 01:04:58 »
I have an issue when playing CSGO with my Model M where I'll be pressing W to move forward and sometimes it'll just stop, so I have to repress. This is when I'm only pressing the W key, so KRO doesn't seem to be the issue.

Another note: Using AquaKey Test, I seem to have 6KRO with my Model M. I'm using a PS2/USB adapter.

Try hitting W, A and S at the same time. Do they all register? AFAIK all the Model M membranes have 2KRO.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 01:16:31 »

Try hitting W, A and S at the same time. Do they all register? AFAIK all the Model M membranes have 2KRO.

Oh, I have no issue pressing W+A, W+D, Shift+W+A, Shift+W+D, CTRL+W+A, CTRL+W+D, W+A+Space, W+D+Space, etc. They all work. It's just sometimes when I'm holding down W, it'll randomly stop going forward, so I'll have to lift off and press down again.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 05:43:47 »

KRO refers to the minimum guaranteed combination of keys (not usually including modifier keys).  You can almost always get higher combinations.

All M's are 2KRO.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 16:49:19 »

KRO refers to the minimum guaranteed combination of keys (not usually including modifier keys).  You can almost always get higher combinations.

All M's are 2KRO.

Ooooo, minimum! Cool :D Thank you for this info :)

Screenshot of my holding down asdfjk with one hand (asdf with fingers and jk together with thumb). I pressed Print Screen with my other hand on my Realforce, which is also hooked up. Pressing Print Screen on my Model M while holding down the other 6 cancels it all out, and also doesn't register the Print Screen.

If one can deal with the stiffness, I'd say it ain't too bad for gaming. I like it for RPG games!
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 September 2014, 16:51:53 by VesperSAINT »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 16:51:47 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 September 2015, 12:02:31 by esoomenona »

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 16:53:34 »
The key word is MINIMUM. As he said, a higher combination of keys is possible, but you are guaranteed at least any combination of two. From what I've heard when having this discussion, pressing them on the same column for a buckling spring is the limitation. Try going vertically and see what happens.

Yeah, I realized that before you posted :P Oops. Silly me.

I shall give it a shot now and post another screen shot :)

You guys are awesome for all this info!

Update:

Not sure if doing it right but~

« Last Edit: Wed, 24 September 2014, 17:00:34 by VesperSAINT »

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 17:42:19 »
Again, we're looking for the minimum number of keys possible. For example, I cannot get Q, W and S to register at the same time on my Model M.

A more important combo for me is W,R,F or W,E,D. None of those work either. I can hit any two keys, but I cannot hit any third key. Some third keys would work, others would not. Because the minimum number of keys I am guaranteed to be able to hit at any time is two, the board is 2KRO.

No screenshots because Linux (no aquakt), and because it doesn't illustrate anything -- I can't show what isn't happening, right?
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)