Author Topic: Need files from a dead/rapidly dying drive  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Need files from a dead/rapidly dying drive
« on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 17:20:48 »
Hey guys, the hard drive in the wife PC crashed.  It is doing the click of death.  Can anyone recommend any methods to get some files off it?  We already have a new drive in her computer so I am not trying to extend its life beyond getting files extracted.  It is a few Gb worth of pictures, both professional and personal, along with tax return documents.

Also would entertain recovery services that anyone has used  in the past as well.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Need files from a dead/rapidly dying drive
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 18:48:45 »
Hey guys, the hard drive in the wife PC crashed.  It is doing the click of death.  Can anyone recommend any methods to get some files off it?  We already have a new drive in her computer so I am not trying to extend its life beyond getting files extracted.  It is a few Gb worth of pictures, both professional and personal, along with tax return documents.

Also would entertain recovery services that anyone has used  in the past as well.

Ouch. I have never succeeded at that.

The ideas I have heard are to put it in an external rig and:

(1) Try to get a Linux box (of some flavor) to read it
(2) Put it in the freezer and get it very cold and hope that it runs long enough to copy
(3) Put it in the sun and and get it very hot and hope that it runs long enough to copy
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 18:50:06 »
I've heard of the freezer trick to coax a dead hard drive back to life.  I've also heard that it only works once - so make sure you get as much as you can in one go.

There was also this thread about data recovery recently.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 18:53:48 »
Thanks guys.  I have it in the freezer right now and will attempt it in the morning. 
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 19:02:54 »
Thanks guys.  I have it in the freezer right now and will attempt it in the morning.

YOU PUT IT IN A BAG FIRST, RIGHT???
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 19:07:23 »

Yes I put it in a bag first.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 19:33:54 »

Yes I put it in a bag first.

PHEW
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 19:52:15 »
Well no luck with the freezer.  I have been filing out RFQ forms and such for HDD data recovery services.  Any idea what this goes for lately?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 20:55:47 »
usually if it's clicking the only way is to go to data recovery guys.

You can sometimes replace the controller from another drive of the same model though.

if it's clicking only sometimes, you can get data though. but if all it does is click at you, the drive is usually toast.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 13:09:33 »
Best technique is to do a low level sector image onto another drive, then mount that and copy it as needed with something more robust that can deal with file errors like teracopy. That is assuming it's still readable at all.
If not, then you need to get into more exotic things like remounting the platters in another working drive... such services usually run into the $300-$500ish range.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 September 2014, 13:12:34 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 13:14:42 »
Best technique is to do a low level sector image onto another drive, then mount that and copy it as needed with something more robust that can deal with file errors like teracopy. That is assuming it's still readable at all.
If not, then you need to get into more exotic things like remounting the platters in another working drive... such services usually run into the $300-$500ish range.

I do believe that is what I am looking at at this point in time.  Just need to see what these pics are worth to the wife.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 16:19:00 »
Put substantial weight on the spindle part of the drive. Like a c-clamp with some wooden blocks to cushion a little. Rationale: slightly changes the alignment of platters to heads. Most likely won't work. Worked for me 2 out of 9 times.

Also if you're at high altitude (8000+ ft) go lower. Has worked for me 3/9.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 23:52:45 »
that is what DD_rescue actually does, and why I recommended it. I haven't tried teracopy, but the command I recommend is quite robust. It reads and bad block multiple times to ensure as much data as possible is recovered. Sadly you need a drive to actually be readable (and mount in windows if you are going with teracopy) to run any of these tools.

The "click" is from the arm clicking against it's stop. you can see this after opening a defective drive. In such a case it will not read the platters at all or mount. That's why I further recommended data recovers businesses or controller swap. Swapping platters is more difficult than changing the controller board.

I do believe that is what I am looking at at this point in time.  Just need to see what these pics are worth to the wife.
If you can get it to mount at all, you may want to use something like photorec to only grab the .jpg files you want.