Author Topic: Anyone buying an iPhone 6?  (Read 117240 times)

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Re: Anyone buying an iPhone 6?
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 18:34:29 »
AAARRGGHH!!!
I'm all about being a pirate!
Talk like a pirate day, anyone? Lol

I'm thinking iPhone 6. No-brainer. 6+ just too massive for as active as I am.

taking the trash out 1nc per day =/= active..

You obviously haven't seen my gf. Taking out that trash for 2 years.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 19:08:10 »
AAARRGGHH!!!

* HoffmanMyster is glad he's alone because he just laughed like a doofus.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 19:08:10 »
AAARRGGHH!!!

Could you type that out in more detail... I have no idea how to interpret your post as is..

Is ur gf trash ? Is taking-out-the-trash a sexy euphemism ? Do you find it bothersome to take your girl friend out ?    Very conflicting 

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 19:08:55 »
Is ur gf trash ? Is taking-out-the-trash a sexy euphemism ? Do you find it bothersome to take your girl friend out ?    Very conflicting

His girlfriend is a piece of garbage.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #104 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 19:14:11 »

His girlfriend is a piece of garbage.

Ah ok.. hrmm.. well.... This is why Tp4 lives life Ronery-Driver..

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 19:19:02 »
I didn't think it was that cryptic.
She's a sweet girl, I actually feel bad for saying that, but it was funny till TP didn't get the joke.

Getting iPhone 6, then call from it to apologize.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #106 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 19:21:00 »
I didn't think it was that cryptic.
She's a sweet girl, I actually feel bad for saying that, but it was funny till TP didn't get the joke.

Getting iPhone 6, then call from it to apologize.

disperse revenge photos and then somehow they end up on facebook

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 20:51:34 »
#bendgate is real,

Pal of mine still works in the wireless industry.  Display phones get beat up quite a bit- it's to be expected.

Usually at the end of their life they have scuff marks, and dents from the security apparatus used to secure them to their backlit display case.

He's saying the iphone 6+ is a nightmare.  Pre-teens in central PA are aware of how the phone can bend (at/around the large volume rockers) and are bending store display iPhones during busy times.  In response a number of stores have removed the 6+ from their displays and hope the fad will die out.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #108 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 23:06:50 »
#bendgate is real,

Pal of mine still works in the wireless industry.  Display phones get beat up quite a bit- it's to be expected.

Usually at the end of their life they have scuff marks, and dents from the security apparatus used to secure them to their backlit display case.

He's saying the iphone 6+ is a nightmare.  Pre-teens in central PA are aware of how the phone can bend (at/around the large volume rockers) and are bending store display iPhones during busy times.  In response a number of stores have removed the 6+ from their displays and hope the fad will die out.

Not saying bendgates isn't real..  Just saying it's not really too big a deal since most people are gonna put the thing in a case anyway..

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 01:48:18 »
#bendgate is real,

Oh wow! I was wondering why the displays haven't been on display recently.

I still say 5S is perfect. I'll upgrade my 5 someday. I just got a Brand new battery 2 weeks ago so no rush.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #110 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 02:47:25 »
Sorry, not defending Apple, but just to clarify... "bendgate is real"....??
 Just because a bunch of STUPID kids see STUPID conspiracy theory type equivalent crap on the intertoobz, and go to a store and BREAK phones....does not make "bendgate is real". Anyone can break anything. I bet they plan it, and laugh about it. It's not about bend ability, it's about being mischievous, and it's wrong to go to a store and break $500 items and leave for fun. This is an issue of purposefully breaking phones, that may be slightly harder, the same, or slightly weaker...but certainly not defective or ****ty engineering (at this point). It's definitely a fad because Applemania is sweeping the world (which is equally crazy). I like some of their stuff, but it's still just stuff.

I went to the store and exerted quite a bit of pressure, knowing what the phone would be subjected to and then some. I wanted to make a decision on 6 or 6+. And now I'm confident it's fine.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 October 2014, 02:50:57 by Input Nirvana »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 04:57:57 »
#bendgate is real,

I still say 5S is perfect. I'll upgrade my 5 someday. I just got a Brand new battery 2 weeks ago so no rush.

5s can be bent too.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #112 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 11:50:24 »
Sorry, not defending Apple, but just to clarify... "bendgate is real"....??
 Just because a bunch of STUPID kids see STUPID conspiracy theory type equivalent crap on the intertoobz, and go to a store and BREAK phones....does not make "bendgate is real". Anyone can break anything. I bet they plan it, and laugh about it. It's not about bend ability, it's about being mischievous, and it's wrong to go to a store and break $500 items and leave for fun. This is an issue of purposefully breaking phones, that may be slightly harder, the same, or slightly weaker...but certainly not defective or ****ty engineering (at this point). It's definitely a fad because Applemania is sweeping the world (which is equally crazy). I like some of their stuff, but it's still just stuff.

I went to the store and exerted quite a bit of pressure, knowing what the phone would be subjected to and then some. I wanted to make a decision on 6 or 6+. And now I'm confident it's fine.
Can't argue with your logic.  I own items I know are fragile.  You are doing nothing wrong.  The software on the new generation is OK. 

I can't justify the 6+ because I would have bending issues.  I lean on my phone when it's in my pocket all the time. I don't think a teenager's grip strength alone is as much as the force exerted by my body weight onto a phone in my pocket.  I would need something like the metal m8 case shown earlier to feel safe.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 11:51:22 »
#bendgate is real,

5s can be bent too.

Not for me! I use Otterbox Defender! You can throw this **** off a roof and its good.  :p

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 14:19:53 »
Went Apple store last time to confirm and either buy 6 or order it. Looked at both phones and finally decided on 6+. Will order. If after using it, size is inconvenient after a month or two, can always make a change. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Maybe I'll learn something.

As for bendygate....I've dropped phone many times and broke screen a couple. Doesn't mean there's Glassybreakgate...it means it has a glass screen that can break. :)

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 14:43:33 »
Went Apple store last time to confirm and either buy 6 or order it. Looked at both phones and finally decided on 6+. Will order. If after using it, size is inconvenient after a month or two, can always make a change. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Maybe I'll learn something.

As for bendygate....I've dropped phone many times and broke screen a couple. Doesn't mean there's Glassybreakgate...it means it has a glass screen that can break. :)

get tempered glass protector and the glass protector will shatter and not your screen.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 14:46:25 »
Never saw that! Sounds neat.
One thing I'm getting is the privacy screen film. Tired of peeps LOOOOKING.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #117 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 15:06:16 »

well tempered glass goes over the screen, so you don't need a screen protector.
but there's no privacy filter ones lol

I use this one on my M8, and my mom and brother use the Feather+ on their 6+ and 6.
http://mimeusa.com/product/iphone-6-plus-feather-glass-screen-protector/

Pricier than the China/Hong Kong brands, but i find them to be very good and good customer support being based in NY.
I ordered the old 15mm one for my M8, but mine wasn't rounded edges.  So it started to chip after a month.
Emailed them and they sent me a replacement one for the .30mm the next day.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #118 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 15:20:12 »
With the way the screen bubbles over the face of the phone you better have a darn good protector on there.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Input Nirvana

Anyone buying an iPhone 6?
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 17:14:59 »

well tempered glass goes over the screen, so you don't need a screen protector.
but there's no privacy filter ones lol

I use this one on my M8, and my mom and brother use the Feather+ on their 6+ and 6.
http://mimeusa.com/product/iphone-6-plus-feather-glass-screen-protector/

Pricier than the China/Hong Kong brands, but i find them to be very good and good customer support being based in NY.
I ordered the old 15mm one for my M8, but mine wasn't rounded edges.  So it started to chip after a month.
Emailed them and they sent me a replacement one for the .30mm the next day.

Neat! So it sticks onto the phone (sticky one side?)

Can you still put privacy film over it?

Offline actorjump

« Reply #120 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 12:26:41 »
I'm waiting for the Iphone 6 Plus. I just love large screen like Note 3. However, I might not be ready for its price. I'm sure its gonna be an expensive unit.

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #121 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 23:55:07 »
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #122 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 01:37:56 »

Show Image

Someones been following #bendgate
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline Matter

« Reply #123 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 05:59:40 »
Has the bending affected anyone here?

Considering between this and the note 4 or note edge.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #124 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 07:01:58 »
Got the 64gb 6, should have gotten the 126gb...
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline sobe

« Reply #125 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 15:46:42 »
Kickass heads up on that tempered glass screen protector. Might be looking at something like that regardless which way I end up going with iPhone 6 or back to Android.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #126 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 00:41:37 »
Ordered 6 Plus through ATT, get 30 days to try...if it's too big for me I can swap down for 6 with no restocking.

Expensive:
$500 phone
$44 tax
$30 glass protection
$15-90 case
$100 car phone holder
$xxx extra cables

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #127 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 00:58:14 »
I'm disappointed that Mime doesn't offer some of the glass features for the iPhone 6 Plus lie some of the other phones (matte glass, etc).

Looks like a nice product, I want to see if I can see how it looks/works before I purchase it though.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #128 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 01:23:12 »

I'm disappointed that Mime doesn't offer some of the glass features for the iPhone 6 Plus lie some of the other phones (matte glass, etc).

Looks like a nice product, I want to see if I can see how it looks/works before I purchase it though.
I ordered a Mime screen protector for my 6+. I haven't gotten either in the mail yet but it shouldn't be long. I'll try post some pics and a short review when I test it out.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #129 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 01:24:49 »
Thumbs up :)

I don't know what type of case to get, but I want a privacy film on the screen. Soooo many looky-loos.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 October 2014, 01:30:55 by Input Nirvana »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #130 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 02:17:51 »

i dont' think matte glass is good for phone,  it reduces sunlight visibility.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 02:46:18 »
Just tried out iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+ in Singapore. It's not available in Malaysia yet. Gotta say the 6+ is huge but it's likely I will still go for it.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #132 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 03:05:30 »

Just tried out iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+ in Singapore. It's not available in Malaysia yet. Gotta say the 6+ is huge but it's likely I will still go for it.
I was worried it would be too big. I'm going from a 4 to a 6 so the size difference is going to be drastic. But I held a 6+ in future shop and I'm confident that I will get used to it within a few days or a week. I ordered a Spigen Neo Hybrid Metal case. It's a minimalist case so it shouldn't increase it's size too much which is another benefit of having such a thin phone. The main part if the case is a flexible plastic but the second piece is a metal (aluminum) bumper around the outside edge of the phone. Hopefully it's enough to prevent any of that bending **** people blew up about a few weeks ago. 

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #133 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 10:00:25 »
I didn't want to order my 6 Plus directly from Verizon since it won't ship until next month, but I wanted to take advantage of their trade-in offer, which will net me a $200 gift card for my 4S. I played with both the 6 and 6 Plus at the local Apple store this past weekend, and while the latter is big, it's not unmanageable, so I think I made the right choice.

I've been waiting since March to upgrade my phone, so I figure another month isn't going to hurt anything.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 11:39:32 »
I didn't want to order my 6 Plus directly from Verizon since it won't ship until next month, but I wanted to take advantage of their trade-in offer, which will net me a $200 gift card for my 4S. I played with both the 6 and 6 Plus at the local Apple store this past weekend, and while the latter is big, it's not unmanageable, so I think I made the right choice.

I've been waiting since March to upgrade my phone, so I figure another month isn't going to hurt anything.

i think the trade in promo is ending today actually.
also you have to buy the phone from verizon to take advantage of the $200.00 deal.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #135 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 13:31:29 »
also you have to buy the phone from verizon to take advantage of the $200.00 deal.

Which is what I thought my first sentence implied. I ordered the phone from Verizon last week, and while I would have preferred to buy it elsewhere, I wanted to take advantage of the trade-in offer.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #136 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 13:37:07 »

Which is what I thought my first sentence implied. I ordered the phone from Verizon last week, and while I would have preferred to buy it elsewhere, I wanted to take advantage of the trade-in offer.

ah ok yeah i read it too quick hehe.
i preordred one for my mom on the 12th at 9AM from verizon, she got hers on 30th

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #137 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 00:29:33 »
Got my iPhone 6+ today. Loving it! Can't wait until all apps are optimized for the 6+ screen size. Some of the keyboards within the apps (like tapatalk) are bigger than they should be. It's not a major problem and it's totally useable, but it throws you off sometimes.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #138 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 02:13:27 »
YM88, I think I read that there is a keyboard you can download/buy that take up half the screen and allow you to type one handed :)

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #139 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 02:50:38 »
YM88, I think I read that there is a keyboard you can download/buy that take up half the screen and allow you to type one handed :)
I haven't looked into any third party keyboards yet. I have big hands so I can type one handed as is. But less of a stretch would be nice.

Edit: Just got the one handed keyboard. It's pretty neat but unfortunately it doesn't do the "one handed" thing in the apps not yet optimized for the larger screen. So essentially you get a different looking keyboard that requires the same stretch of the thumb. Time will fix all of this.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 03:05:41 by YoungMichael88 »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #140 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 06:35:32 »
Well after some long thoughts... Despite my deep hatred of ios 8, it seems like I can get an iPhone 6 64gb for free... And that seems like he best upgrade option. When I back up my phone I'll be picking one up it seems

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 11:00:44 »

Well after some long thoughts... Despite my deep hatred of ios 8, it seems like I can get an iPhone 6 64gb for free... And that seems like he best upgrade option. When I back up my phone I'll be picking one up it seems

Deep hatred? Wow, my life isn't so bad, lol

My goal while waiting for phone is to locate a case, and various sundry new phone items. 

A friend is getting Samsung Note 4, which seems to be the "equal" product to the 6+, will be interesting to compare.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #142 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 11:02:21 »

My goal while waiting for phone is to locate a case, and various sundry new phone items. 

A friend is getting Samsung Note 4, which seems to be the "equal" product to the 6+, will be interesting to compare.

samsung's note 4 is the superior product in technology and hardware.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #143 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 11:14:22 »

Opinion.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #144 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 11:37:32 »

Ios 8 has made my iPhone 5 bearly useable. It's slow, it's buggy, it crashes more often and is more unpredictable. As someone who uses there phone as a laptop replacement, a phone and for work... So all the 'updates' have been hugely frustrating.. Especially because I feel like I'm being forced to buy a new phone because Apple has ruined my previously fine phone.

But as I can get an iPhone 6 for free (hopefully, I'm going to the O2 shop in a bit) I can't really complain too much I guess.
And no I can't switch to Android, otherwise I would be very tempted to do so

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #145 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 11:43:33 »

Ios 8 has made my iPhone 5 bearly useable. It's slow, it's buggy, it crashes more often and is more unpredictable. As someone who uses there phone as a laptop replacement, a phone and for work... So all the 'updates' have been hugely frustrating.. Especially because I feel like I'm being forced to buy a new phone because Apple has ruined my previously fine phone.

But as I can get an iPhone 6 for free (hopefully, I'm going to the O2 shop in a bit) I can't really complain too much I guess.
And no I can't switch to Android, otherwise I would be very tempted to do so

DANG!
I can't even imagine the phone coming to a grinding halt like that.

But also, I can't imagine a phone being a 100% laptop replacement either, maybe I'm shortsighted. Bummer to hear that though. I'd be upset too :(

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #146 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 11:54:28 »
Just got back from the O2 shop... Sold out of the 64gb's ;_; got to wait another week... Have to say the only thing I can't do on my phone is work on documents... But I still have a proper PC for that and one at work...

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #147 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 12:09:08 »

Opinion.

faster CPU, more ram, higher PPI, digitizer for pen, etc
how is it an opinion when the hardware is better??

Note's SPen, multi windows is better tech
I didn't say its the better phone because I think it is.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 12:12:41 by IPT »

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #148 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 12:18:05 »

Opinion.

how is it an opinion when the hardware & tech is better??

Not interested in raw tech specs, doesn't mean much as just printed data. Interested in real world usability, quality of results, and experience. HOW DOES IT WORK? From what I'm reading, my guess is they are very similar, each one edges the other out here and there. The thing the Apple does, is what others do, but they often just do it a little better, smoother, more solidly. Apple isn't perfect, but neither is Samsung or any others.  It's ok to have an opinion/preference, but that does not make it a fact.

It's ok your a Samsung fanboy, you should just post that in your sig :)

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 12:23:05 »

Opinion.

how is it an opinion when the hardware & tech is better??

Not interested in raw tech specs, doesn't mean much as just printed data. Interested in real world usability, quality of results, and experience. HOW DOES IT WORK? From what I'm reading, my guess is they are very similar, each one edges the other out here and there. The thing the Apple does, is what others do, but they often just do it a little better, smoother, more solidly. Apple isn't perfect, but neither is Samsung or any others.  It's ok to have an opinion/preference, but that does not make it a fact.

It's ok your a Samsung fanboy, you should just post that in your sig :)

um, i own an HTC One M8....

again my statement specifically said hardware and tech.  So no its not an opinion.
I was just correcting your incorrect statement.