Author Topic: Anyone buying an iPhone 6?  (Read 117080 times)

Offline jameslr

Anyone buying an iPhone 6?
« on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 08:59:01 »
Just curious who is going to be purchasing one, who your carrier is and what deal you're getting on the new phone. I'm contemplating upgrading from my current Galaxy S III to an iPhone 6 plus. Haven't completely decided which one I want yet.
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline osi

Re: Anyone buying an iPhone 6?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 09:05:52 »
Not getting one!

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 09:08:39 »
I'm planning to get one, maybe next month, DNA at my place has 12, 24 or 36 months plan to choose from with the total amount of money sum up to 888€ (6+ 64GB)
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 09:09:40 »
Got my wife iphone 6 64gb. Her old phone was a 4s and Verizon bought it back for $200. So cost was $100 for phone, $30 upgrade fee, and $20 for glass screen protector. Plus tax. Her old 4s was beat up bad so I prob couldn't have sold it for much. She loves the 6 vs her 4s. Not sure about coming from your Galaxy tho.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 09:30:24 »
SHEEPLE!  All of you!
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline absyrdswyfe

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 09:31:08 »
Got one and love it!

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 09:31:58 »
I have an iPhone 5 and I was really disappointed. Look like I will be keeping it for at least another two years.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 09:34:00 »
I am really considering it...  even though I've gone back to the cheapies for a while now..

But.. I feel like.. I'd be wasting money because I won't be able to get pirated software like on Android for at least a few months...

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 09:54:06 »
I have an iPhone 5 and I was really disappointed. Look like I will be keeping it for at least another two years.

Ditto! I just got a brand new battery in my 5 too. :) I may upgrade to a 5S eventually.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 10:06:22 »
No. I am not buying an Iphone 6. They are pieces of crap.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline jameslr

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 10:06:32 »
I may wait a week to see if they get more stock in. The Verizon stores around me only have the expensive 128GB models in stock. I don't need that much storage in a phone, nor do I want to pay $400 out of pocket for one. I bought a cheap iphone 4 to trade in ($50) to get the promotional $200 discount from VZW since I didn't have an iphone to trade in. Anyone considering taking the plunge - I would definitely recommend getting an older iphone 4 from ebay or an individual to trade it in with VZW if that's your carrier. They'll give you $200 immediately on phones they have in stock rather than having to wait for their gift card on a phone you order.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 10:09:04 »
They make 128gb now?! No Fair!!  :eek: I've always bought the 64gb of each model...

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 10:12:48 »

I may wait a week to see if they get more stock in. The Verizon stores around me only have the expensive 128GB models in stock. I don't need that much storage in a phone, nor do I want to pay $400 out of pocket for one. I bought a cheap iphone 4 to trade in ($50) to get the promotional $200 discount from VZW since I didn't have an iphone to trade in. Anyone considering taking the plunge - I would definitely recommend getting an older iphone 4 from ebay or an individual to trade it in with VZW if that's your carrier. They'll give you $200 immediately on phones they have in stock rather than having to wait for their gift card on a phone you order.

+1 take the old phone in otherwise you have to wait weeks and you don't know if they will accept it.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 10:17:43 »
Apple iPhone. Bah! An overpriced and underperforming company. You pay for the name more than anything else.

Windows Phone does everything I need and has the features I want. Additionally, WP does not have the inflated price vs performance of Apple nor does it have the horrible power management of Android. Couple that with the ability to sync effortlessly with other Windows 8/8.1 devices and MS Office accounts, and a fantastic personal assistant (Cortana), and it's a no brainer for me.

Then again, I actually use my phone as a tool, not as a toy. It's a phone, first and foremost, not a "portable computer/media player that just happens to make phone calls." There are no games, nor are there any frivolous apps on my phone. It does what I need it to do.

I guess I'm a bit old-fashioned.
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline jameslr

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 10:46:36 »
Apple iPhone. Bah! An overpriced and underperforming company. You pay for the name more than anything else.

Windows Phone does everything I need and has the features I want. Additionally, WP does not have the inflated price vs performance of Apple nor does it have the horrible power management of Android. Couple that with the ability to sync effortlessly with other Windows 8/8.1 devices and MS Office accounts, and a fantastic personal assistant (Cortana), and it's a no brainer for me.

Then again, I actually use my phone as a tool, not as a toy. It's a phone, first and foremost, not a "portable computer/media player that just happens to make phone calls." There are no games, nor are there any frivolous apps on my phone. It does what I need it to do.

If you were even a little bit old fashioned you'd have a blackberry :D All that aside - I use it as a tool as well. I don't play games on my current Galaxy SIII, but my wife now has an iphone and I like the idea of being able to text her through imessage for free as well as facetime with my kids when I'm away on business. My phone is my paging device for on-call and I use 2 factor authentication apps with it. Aside from that I use Tapatalk and Reddit for fun.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 10:52:16 »

Is old fashioned what we call morons now?

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 10:58:12 »
If you were even a little bit old fashioned you'd have a blackberry :D

By the time I bit the bullet and converted from a dumbphone to a smartphone, Blackberry was already a dying breed. Plus, their equipment reviews were less than stellar and their software was already behind the times and dropping fast. I may not want the flash and pizazz of the iPhone or Android, but I do want my OS to at least be current with the times...

Is old fashioned what we call morons now?

Wow.

Care to qualify that statement, or are you just throwing out insults because you have nothing constructive to add?
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 11:05:52 »
You just called the iPhone a toy in a thread for people to chat about if they are buying one. You then tried to make out that windows phone was anything other than a total failure. The reason they are well priced is because they are desperate to sell them.

It is cool that it works with Windows 8 (because that's such a great OS), but really I don't see how much more work you can do on your Windows Phone than I can on my toy... Or anyone else lol

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 11:13:14 »
You just called the iPhone a toy in a thread for people to chat about if they are buying one. You then tried to make out that windows phone was anything other than a total failure. The reason they are well priced is because they are desperate to sell them.

It is cool that it works with Windows 8 (because that's such a great OS), but really I don't see how much more work you can do on your Windows Phone than I can on my toy... Or anyone else lol

Okay, you either misunderstood what I was saying, or you are putting words into my mouth.

Go back and carefully read what I wrote.

When I said it was a toy, I was not referring to the iPhone itself. I know people who use an iPhone as a tool (indeed, the phones my company issues to on-call and traveling employees are all iPhones), and I know people who use a Windows Phone as a toy. It's all in the actual use.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 11:16:00 »
Black 128gb iPhone 6 or 6 Plus, need to go in store to check size compatibility. Currently have iPhone 4, ATT, and will stay with ATT (transmit voice and data at same time).

My current plan is $132 month, unlimited voice $70, unlimited texts $20 (been using about 3,000 texts a month), and the grandfathered "real" unlimited data $30 (been using 7gb/month for the last 7-8 months, oddly I don't stream video and stream very little music, don't use GPS because my GPS is broken along with the wi-fi, I've smashed the phone a few times). I usually have location services turned off because of weak battery concerns, and the GPS doesn't work. I don't have tethering on my plan because that would require losing the unlimited data. Not worth it to tether laptop. One day I'll try looking at bill to see where the data usage is coming from. I'm sure if I have wi-fi, that my data usage will go down. I've never concerned myself with data usage since 2007 (7 years). I looked at a couple bills from over a year ago and data was 2-3gb when wi-fi worked, of course I also used GPS then too. 2 years ago I used well under 1gb. Stuff changes.

I hope I can get serious $$ for my old iPhone 4 with ATT or somebody. Can always change my plan later, but concerned about data charges.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 11:16:42 »
I have been considering it, but I just really want a nice phone with good audio quality, antenna, and software which I can control.  Really looking for something new with root access on the big V.

I mainly use my phone as a messaging device, simple browsing, DAP, and quick camera.  I know the iphone will do all of that, but I don't subscribe to their way of pigeonholing me into using specific proprietary file formats/developed software/interface software.

The first iPhone was the only phone like it, but I've been on android for so long I'm really afraid to go back into having fewer choices.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 September 2014, 11:18:58 by Binge »
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 11:38:38 »

Windows pho has Cortana..    / thread...   

Offline billnye

• ability man
Anyone buying an iPhone 6?
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 11:42:02 »
I have an iPhone 6 64gb in gold

I really like it! A lot faster than my 5 was :))
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 September 2016, 11:28:23 by billnye »

Offline scubaste

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 11:43:52 »
I had every intention on getting one because I'm still rocking the 4, but my freshly renewed love of all things keyboard has me thinking that I can get by for a while longer with this one.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 11:47:14 »
I just switched back to IOS from Android. I can without doubt say I've used almost every smartphone/handheld OS in the past 15+ years and none have been as intuitive or as easy to work with as IOS, sorry Android. As much as I love Androids openness there are so many benefits to using IOS which caused me to switch back.

So what I did

1st off I had to give up my unlimited data plan with Verizon which sucks, but I've been watching my data usage for years and other then occasional spikes I can't justify keeping it and paying 1k for an unsubsidized phone.

2nd I noticed that Verizon is offering $200 at a minimum for an iphone 4 or newer if you're buying an iPhone 6. I ended up picking up a refurbished iPhone 4 with 8gb for $75 and will be trading that one in for $200 (score)

3rd Verizon is offering a 1gb per line bonus which allowed me to go with a lower data plan and reduce my bill by about $20 a month. The current plans include unlimited calling and texts which I'd previously been paying separate for.

and lastly, I picked up the iPhone 6 with 128gb to replace my Galaxy S4 which has a very similar size and feel and I'm happy with that. I'm not going to go the 6 plus route because it's just too large for me to carry and use when making calls.

Edit: Also, I compared other carriers and while T-Mobile has awesome pricing it just doesn't have good coverage in my area. Sprint was my number 2 choice and with the softbank/alibaba bonus they might make improvements to their network in the next few years that will help me to switch back to them. AT&T didn't have pricing or service good enough to get me to switch. I currently get a 20% discount on my bill through Verizon because of an employer discount which is also nice.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 September 2014, 11:52:29 by Wildcard »

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 12:21:06 »
I pre-ordered the 128GB iPhone 6 Plus in gold. I'm currently using an iPhone 4 and its basically a brick at this point although I have to say, it's really treated me well for 4 years. It's just a little too slow for me at this point. I had been trying to upgrade since the 5S and almost went for the Galaxy S4 but koodo was out of GS4 phones when I was there, so I put my pennies aside and saved for the 6 Plus. I'm in Canada so our cellular services are so far behind they are hardly worth mentioning but I pay like $86/month (before tax) currently from Bell Alliant for 1GB data and unlimited everything else. I got the iPhone 6 Plus unlocked and carrier free (yes, for ~$1K) and I will be switching to Koodo for ~$20 less per month than I pay now and I'll get double the data I have currently, so I'll recoup some of that high cost in monthly savings over the next few years. I just hope I get the hang of the bigger 6 Plus screen size. It worries me.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline jameslr

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 16:18:24 »

Black 128gb iPhone 6 or 6 Plus, need to go in store to check size compatibility. Currently have iPhone 4, ATT, and will stay with ATT (transmit voice and data at same time).

My current plan is $132 month, unlimited voice $70, unlimited texts $20 (been using about 3,000 texts a month), and the grandfathered "real" unlimited data $30 (been using 7gb/month for the last 7-8 months, oddly I don't stream video and stream very little music, don't use GPS because my GPS is broken along with the wi-fi, I've smashed the phone a few times). I usually have location services turned off because of weak battery concerns, and the GPS doesn't work. I don't have tethering on my plan because that would require losing the unlimited data. Not worth it to tether laptop. One day I'll try looking at bill to see where the data usage is coming from. I'm sure if I have wi-fi, that my data usage will go down. I've never concerned myself with data usage since 2007 (7 years). I looked at a couple bills from over a year ago and data was 2-3gb when wi-fi worked, of course I also used GPS then too. 2 years ago I used well under 1gb. Stuff changes.

I hope I can get serious $$ for my old iPhone 4 with ATT or somebody. Can always change my plan later, but concerned about data charges.
As someone who recently purchased an iPhone 4 for trade in purposes - you're looking at a max of about $75 for a pristine condition specimen. Since you mentioned yours is damaged I wouldn't expect more than $50. Ymmv of course.

I went ahead and got the iPhone 6 and so far it is a really nice phone. The 4.7" screen is about perfect for me but the 5.5" plus was very sharp as well.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 16:33:13 »
Just checked out both new iPhones. Very slick.

iPhone 6: still a "1-hander" for me.

iPhone 6 Plus: not so much.

(I have Mens Large when getting gloves)

I tried the most used apps for me, mail, messages, calculator and a few navigating moves with iPhone 6 Plus. Tough going with one hand, may drop it. Will need a sticky case definitely. If I sit with it in pocket, will probably break, where the iPhone 4 will survive (but maybe not iPhone 6).

iPhone 6 Plus has some nice perks with mail and messages, showing sidebar screen like in OSX. Also landscape mode in more screens. Size is both a plus (viewing) and a somewhat negative (carrying).

I'm undecided. Will check again and see what I think. At this point the 6 Plus is a different animal and I'm willing to try it. I'm rather active, and virtually ALWAYS have phone on me, so an adjustment is needed. I assume I'll break the screen. I've broken a couple already.

The upside is that with iPhone 6 Plus I would stop text-driving, which is stupid and wrong. Can always change phones if it's not working out.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline Belfong

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 19:44:00 »
I'm also torn between 6 and Plus. As I age my eye sight is getting poorer so I assume I need a bigger screen to have bigger font. I read a lot and I think Kindle on Plus would be perfect. I don't really care about one handed but I do carry the phone in pocket so I hope that fits. I'll be checking it out in person before deciding but at this point, it's likely I'll go with Plus because I don't want to end up with 6 and kept wondering what my phone experience would be with a bigger screen!

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 21:07:13 »
My rationale:
If you can't decide, but you know 6 will work, try the 6 Plus for up to 14 days and if it's not good, trade it in for the 6. Get the experience under your belt.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 21:17:06 »
My rationale:
If you can't decide, but you know 6 will work, try the 6 Plus for up to 14 days and if it's not good, trade it in for the 6. Get the experience under your belt.

it depends on how much you use your phone... 

Squinting is exhausting...

sadly for me...  I squint even on the note 3 I had..

Offline Belfong

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 22:28:13 »
My rationale:
Doesn't work here in Malaysia since we will be signing a contract with the telco and there is no such thing as trial period.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 22:42:04 »

My rationale:
Doesn't work here in Malaysia since we will be signing a contract with the telco and there is no such thing as trial period.

Bogus! :(
Any chance you might be able to swap/trade phones if not happy with choices?

I'm leaning towards trying the 6 Plus, but will go to store to check out a couple times and read other people's feedback.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 22:44:42 »
went to sprint. 6 plus isn't as big as i thought.

either that or im so use to seeing the note 3 that it no longer looks big.

but still too big for me to carry around. so 6 it is. but the wait at sprint was around 1.5-2 hrs long so **** that i left. i'll get it when the hype dies down or ill get it online. not in a rush
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 01:56:27 »
went to sprint. 6 plus isn't as big as i thought.

either that or im so use to seeing the note 3 that it no longer looks big.

but still too big for me to carry around. so 6 it is. but the wait at sprint was around 1.5-2 hrs long so **** that i left. i'll get it when the hype dies down or ill get it online. not in a rush

Ditto bro, I'd wait 15 mins. LOL

You're not gonna be mad about calling you bro, bro? Some Demmi-rage?
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 September 2014, 02:02:42 by Input Nirvana »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 02:06:48 »
Nah. Gonna try to tone down the angriness from now on.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 04:18:41 »
I was really up for the new iPhone 6, but O2's site crashed on pre-order day for almost the whole day and when it came online they seemed to have the most expensive tariffs in the UK. So now I'm not so sure I'll bother... But I do really want that wider screen to make typing easier...

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 04:44:16 »
I was really up for the new iPhone 6, but O2's site crashed on pre-order day for almost the whole day and when it came online they seemed to have the most expensive tariffs in the UK. So now I'm not so sure I'll bother... But I do really want that wider screen to make typing easier...

The data plans for them in the UK are so ****ing terrible. If I do get one I'm just going to pay for an unlocked one so I can use my SIM with unlimited data with it. **** paying 45 pounds a month for 1GB of data.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 04:48:16 »
Yeah it's kinda mad, the plan I'm on atm is so much cheaper... But idk, to spend £600 on an upgrade for my phone or PC...

Offline jameslr

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 10:47:37 »
I'm also torn between 6 and Plus. As I age my eye sight is getting poorer so I assume I need a bigger screen to have bigger font. I read a lot and I think Kindle on Plus would be perfect. I don't really care about one handed but I do carry the phone in pocket so I hope that fits. I'll be checking it out in person before deciding but at this point, it's likely I'll go with Plus because I don't want to end up with 6 and kept wondering what my phone experience would be with a bigger screen!

You can adjust the font size on all of the iphones no matter their screen size. First thing I did was set it to the lowest it would go. I like to read more on one screen at a time (my eyesight is decent still). Assuming you wear loose fit / baggy pants the phone should fit no problem. Now, if you wear skinny jeans you can forget about it :D Keep in mind, if you're coming from an older iphone - the iphone 6 still has a considerably bigger screen than the previous gen phones. I find a 4.7" screen is the sweet spot for me. The 5.5" screen is just too big to carry in your pocket comfortably and sit without taking the phone out. Additional protective case bulk will make that even more cumbersome. The new phones are super thin.

Offline sobe

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 10:54:56 »
It's quite tempting as a just because thing, but the Galaxy Alpha lands here in the states Sept. 26, and I'm sure we will see some other phones hit soon as well.

Trying to decide on what to jump to from the 5S at this point.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 11:52:38 »
I've been wanting a bigger iPhone for a while, so the 6 Plus will fit the bill nicely. There will definitely be some adjustment considering this will be an upgrade from a 4S, but that doesn't bug me. Unfortunately I'm going to have to wait a bit longer considering all the cash I've dropped on Topre keyboards and keycaps.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 12:57:41 »
The IPhone 6 is a Hot Commodity, the TV news said today "10 MILLION sold - Apple's best IPhone sales". I checked them out and they are nice but too big and thin for me. I must be old fashioned but those huge phones or Phablets look and feel ridiculous for cell phone use IMO. At my local ATT store where I was checking out the new IPhone 6-6+ they had good deals on the IPhone 5s and gave me $200 for my old IPhone 4 (2010) the tiny 5s is all I need. But 10m like-em a lot.

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 13:03:21 »
The IPhone 6 is a Hot Commodity, the TV news said today "10 MILLION sold - Apple's best IPhone sales". I checked them out and they are nice but too big and thin for me. I must be old fashioned but those huge phones or Phablets look and feel ridiculous for cell phone use IMO. At my local ATT store where I was checking out the new IPhone 6-6+ they had good deals on the IPhone 5s and gave me $200 for my old IPhone 4 (2010) the tiny 5s is all I need. But 10m like-em a lot.

Not to detract from your post, but for a lot of consumers it's less about it specifically being the iPhone 6/6+ and more like "MUST HAVE COOL NEW PRODUCT" regardless of whether or not it's necessary or even an improvement. Such is the Cult of Apple.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 13:26:18 »

Not to detract from your post, but for a lot of consumers it's less about it specifically being the iPhone 6/6+ and more like "MUST HAVE COOL NEW PRODUCT" regardless of whether or not it's necessary or even an improvement. Such is the Cult of Apple.

Citation?

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 13:31:05 »
Wow. $200 for the iPhone 4? I just sold one for $150 and thought I did well. Considering I don't want to be on a service that's contractual, I'll consider the idea I came out ahead.

After seeing the photos a buddy was churning out on the 6, I think I might spring for one depending on what my employer does for me for a work phone next. I have a 5 currently and see no real reason to rush to upgrade just yet, unless I can flip my unlocked 5 for enough.

Oh, and Apple: $100 for more space still? At least it jumps from 16 (ugh) to 64, but still. That's irritating. Start at 32 and then offer 64 up for a few more bucks. Oh well, profit margins!

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 13:47:17 »

Citation?

Citation being the hordes of people that flock to the Apple Store on release day to get the newest product without waiting for real-world testing to take place and bugs to be fixed. Remember Apple Maps?

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 14:03:12 »
I'm still trying to decide between the 6 plus and the Note 4. I've been on the same phone for 3 years now so it's about time I changed.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 14:05:50 »
I've had an S4 for almost 2 years now, why would I downgrade to an iPhone 6 :D :D :D

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 14:05:51 »

Citation?

Citation being the hordes of people that flock to the Apple Store on release day to get the newest product without waiting for real-world testing to take place and bugs to be fixed. Remember Apple Maps?

OK, I'll go with that to a point. But I'll counter:

Apples iPhone changed phones as we know them virtually overnight. iPhones, just as most Apple products are a higher quality product and pleasant form factor (alum/glass vs creaky plastic and plastic). Specifically iPhones tie into the Apple ecosystem which is really awesome for real time syncing, integrated iCloud, etc. Apple laptops are everywhere, so having phone backed up with your hardware/iCloud/etc is pretty easy and very functional.

I'll also say that Apple has been consistent with their iPhone offerings and there have been no nasty surprises or failures. In others words, "It's a given." So the need to have real world testing is fairly redundant.

You can argue that Apple may be a little behind the curve regarding implementing some technology (NFC, blah blah) and maybe that's why "hordes are flocking"....to get what Apple is soooooo far behind with. I'll go with that. And I'll also agree and say there are a few people that have nothing better to do than to run out, wait in line all day on a work day to spend $600 on a new phone even though they already have one that works fine. :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 September 2014, 14:07:52 by Input Nirvana »