Author Topic: Anyone buying an iPhone 6?  (Read 117243 times)

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Re: Anyone buying an iPhone 6?
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 12:46:39 »
Look,
1-I said-samsung note 4 is an "equal" (equivalent) product and will be interesting to compare (in an iPhone 6 thread)
2-you said-samsung is superior
3-I said-your opinion, which it was and still is, no matter how you package and defend it (which is ok)
4-you cite printed specs to prove your opinion and ask proceed to me a question
5-I answer and offer a more than reasonable editorial pointing out the 2 products are "mostly very similar, but with differences that appeal to different people, AND I poke fun at you being a family member of the samsung clan.
6-Aaaaaaand now you continue to poke a stick at the tiger, correcting things on the intertoobz, blah blah

Can we let this go now? I'm not aware of how incorrect I was (and I still don't) but whether you own a widget phone or anything else, your posting is blatantly pro-samsung-fanboi-ism (which is ok). My point being that there was no reason to engage me/samsung in an iPhone 6 thread.

I obviously have some time to post all this since I'm at home watching the Apple event online right now and I'm publicly claiming my Apple FanMan status in this IPHONE 6 thread. So there, it's out there, deal with it world.

Phones boil down to a couple things:
1-software human interaction (screen visibility, quality of apps, type of apps)
2-hardware performance (real world delivery, not printed specs)
3-the phone's physicality (how it fits, feels, buttons, handles, is usable)

I'm STILL guessing the phones are totally comparable....but deferring to my original statement...it will be interesting to compare, since the samsung note 4 isn't released yet.

Also, I don't really care how "thin" iPhones, iPads are. I guess I'm not the ultimate Apple-FanMan.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 15:20:09 »
All this arguing is nonsense..   FREE apps on Android..   PAID apps on Ipho

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #152 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 17:38:49 »

As nice as FREE is, I think developers deserve something in exchange for their work. So $0.99 isn't that big of a deal. I'm not app crazy so I might buy one every few months or so if that. I had my old phone for 4 years and I spent maybe $50 on apps total. But yes, the arguing is nonsense. Get what you like and keep to yourself. If you really need to ridicule other people on their preference, well then you're an ass. My two cents.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #153 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 17:55:48 »

As nice as FREE is, I think developers deserve something in exchange for their work. So $0.99 isn't that big of a deal. I'm not app crazy so I might buy one every few months or so if that. I had my old phone for 4 years and I spent maybe $50 on apps total. But yes, the arguing is nonsense. Get what you like and keep to yourself. If you really need to ridicule other people on their preference, well then you're an ass. My two cents.

I'd much rather pay 5 bucks for a *complete* application that doesn't have ads than I would use a free app that breaks and is obnoxious.  Not that it's always as clear a distinction as that, but I don't see the issue with paid apps.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #154 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 18:05:01 »
iOS has free apps...

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #155 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 18:09:21 »
iOS has free apps...

This is also true.   :))

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #156 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 18:13:28 »

yay, free keyloggers conveniently built right in!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #157 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 18:29:56 »

u can have my GH password.. big wh00p..

just don't bank on your phone.. that's not so hard...  I still do all banking by mail...

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
Anyone buying an iPhone 6?
« Reply #158 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 18:33:26 »

u can have my GH password.. big wh00p..

just don't bank on your phone.. that's not so hard...  I still do all banking by mail...
Thats crazyness! Mobile banking is the only way to go! Unless you're like... 70 years old. To each his own

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #159 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 18:34:17 »

I'd much rather pay 5 bucks for a *complete* application that doesn't have ads than I would use a free app that breaks and is obnoxious.  Not that it's always as clear a distinction as that, but I don't see the issue with paid apps.

You can't use that as an argument,   because EVERY APP worth purchasing will be available and quickly pirate patched on Android.. 

Which means, you will NEVER have to pay for ANY useful app..

Now, if you want to talk about piracy..  That is just the fundamental nature of growth based markets collapsing under print-money-economics..

an Economy as we have it today is unsustainable once all players are equivalently leveraged and equally influential..

The final form is necessarily a peaceful communist world.. OR WWIII... 

in the meantime... Yay! Free Apps... 

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #160 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 19:43:17 »
I torrent exoensuve apps for free at double bandwidth speed. Just to piss you high and mighty guys off...

Is it working?
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #161 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:07:28 »
I torrent exoensuve apps for free at double bandwidth speed. Just to piss you high and mighty guys off...

Is it working?

Nope.. I've been using torrented apps since android came out..   

There really arn't THAT many apps that I would've bought anyway..  maybe 5 tops...

all the other ones, i tried out for maybe a few hours or a few days, and never used them again.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #162 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:16:46 »
I didn't know you could torrent apps....

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #163 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:17:39 »
Let's see... can your iPhones and Androids save your life?

No, I didn't think so.
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #164 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:29:18 »
I didn't know you could torrent apps....

most of the time you don't have to, because they're hosted on other sites now for the n00bers.. but torrent is safer than those sites

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #165 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:29:34 »

Show Image

No, I didn't think so.

HAahahah.. I have a 521 backup phone

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #166 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 03:51:10 »

Probably?

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #167 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 04:41:41 »
So there is some sort of shortage of the 64gb iPhone 6's... Rang two stores and poped into another and they are all sold out. Website is sold out too... :/

Offline Belfong

« Reply #168 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 06:22:38 »
It's not ok for k3kc to make fake skulls but ok for some of you to torrent apps made by one indie guy who probably depend on the $2 app for a living? ?

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #169 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 07:59:12 »

It's not ok for k3kc to make fake skulls but ok for some of you to torrent apps made by one indie guy who probably depend on the $2 app for a living? ?

That is equivalent to you and me but might not be to some folks as they may feel a more personal connection to CC but not to a nameless/faceless (and now moneyless) developer of phone apps.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Belfong

« Reply #171 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 09:03:29 »
Don't misunderstand me. I don't think it's ok for k3kc to copy. I also don't think it's ok to stinge an indie developer of $1, $2 or even $5 if you really like an app. Even coffee cost more these days!

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #172 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 09:14:09 »
LOVE the vintage dinosaur dial...black, pink, or beige...can't go wrong there.

I didn't know apps could be torrented, but I sure like seeing peeps get puffed up about it. I guess everything can be torrented, just didn't think about it I guess. I've just done some movies/TV episodes. I'm kind of over it now that stuff is more easily available/cheaper than even 5 years ago.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #173 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 09:55:43 »

Don't misunderstand me. I don't think it's ok for k3kc to copy. I also don't think it's ok to stinge an indie developer of $1, $2 or even $5 if you really like an app. Even coffee cost more these days!

I agree with you brah. Just trying to opine about why others might think it's okay.
I'm back.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #174 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 09:57:19 »
He he.. Just in case you read me differently, heatpants.. Peace bro!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #175 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 10:09:11 »
heatpants

LOL   :))   That's my new nickname for you, heed.   :p

Offline iri

« Reply #176 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 12:42:16 »

Well after some long thoughts... Despite my deep hatred of ios 8, it seems like I can get an iPhone 6 64gb for free... And that seems like he best upgrade option. When I back up my phone I'll be picking one up it seems

Deep hatred? Wow, my life isn't so bad, lol

My goal while waiting for phone is to locate a case, and various sundry new phone items. 

A friend is getting Samsung Note 4, which seems to be the "equal" product to the 6+, will be interesting to compare.

samsung's note 4 is the superior product in technology and hardware.
which is discarded by its software inferiority.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #177 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 12:57:20 »

I didn't know apps could be torrented, but I sure like seeing peeps get puffed up about it. I guess everything can be torrented, just didn't think about it I guess. I've just done some movies/TV episodes. I'm kind of over it now that stuff is more easily available/cheaper than even 5 years ago.

Those old Western Electric rotary phones were around before the Iphone 6, and they'll certainly be around long after the Iphone 6. Mine has worked for 60 years (since 1954). Try and get that out of a "smart" phone!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #178 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 12:59:32 »

Those old Western Electric rotary phones were around before the Iphone 6, and they'll certainly be around long after the Iphone 6. Mine has worked for 60 years (since 1954). Try and get that out of a "smart" phone!

But I can't read your ever so memorable posts with a dinosaur dial. :(

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #179 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 19:32:19 »
I'm back.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #180 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 19:35:11 »
I've gone through three iPhone 6's,

6+ is a POS, it fell once out of my pocket onto the floor and the screen started falling off, definitely a pass

6 is an amazing device, looks like ****, but the form is amazing, so ****ing thin.

Also TouchID is amazing, and the Health app is pretty nifty as well. I can't wait for Apple Pay to finally release, that will finally take NFC to where android has been promising to take it for the past 4 ****ing years.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #181 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 02:11:53 »
I don't get Apple pay and why people care... My credit/debit card(s) already does wireless payments...

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #182 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 14:32:20 »

I don't get Apple pay and why people care... My credit/debit card(s) already does wireless payments...
I guess the idea is to eventually not need a wallet. Also Apple pay will most likely be implemented online as well. Maybe eBay or Amazon etc. might start using it and you can checkout with a fingerprint scan rather than email and password. I guess it's not necessarily just the NFC part.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #183 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 14:55:06 »

I guess the idea is to eventually not need a wallet. Also Apple pay will most likely be implemented online as well. Maybe eBay or Amazon etc. might start using it and you can checkout with a fingerprint scan rather than email and password. I guess it's not necessarily just the NFC part.

But isn't the fingerprint just to authorise?  I thought the whole point of the NFC chip was to send the information? Unless PC's started coming with NFC readers I don't see how that would be any better than just 'logging in'...

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #184 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 14:57:05 »

But isn't the fingerprint just to authorise?  I thought the whole point of the NFC chip was to send the information? Unless PC's started coming with NFC readers I don't see how that would be any better than just 'logging in'...
I'm really not sure. Like I said I'm just guessing at this point.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #185 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 15:01:23 »

From what I read wireless card payments in shops and things isn't really much of a thing in the US, so I guess I can see why people might be wow'd by it

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #186 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 15:12:33 »

From what I read wireless card payments in shops and things isn't really much of a thing in the US, so I guess I can see why people might be wow'd by it
Wireless card readers are basically non existent where I live. And my bet is Apple pay won't be here either.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #187 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 15:21:40 »

Wireless card readers are basically non existent where I live. And my bet is Apple pay won't be here either.

Wireless card readers are good for small transactions.. they have their place.

Offline iri

« Reply #188 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 09:51:44 »
i too see no point in apple pay.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #189 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 23:36:57 »
I'm loving my 6+. Spigen sent me the completely wrong case tho. Not even for an iPhone 6+. So I'm waiting for a response from them. Sucks tho cuz I waited 34 days for the case after pre-ordering and waiting for it to ship only to find out they send me a $9 plastic case for a different phone. Now there's no stock on the case I pre ordered until November 4th. It's been well over 24 hours and no response from the company. So be cautious when ordering from Spigen fellas.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #190 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 05:06:42 »
Just got a 128 iphone 6 in gold... now its being a ***** about restoring it to be like my old iphone....

I have to wait an hour to do a .01 update to my phone... before which i can't restore my old phone's information, contacts etc etc...
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 October 2014, 05:16:01 by baldgye »

Offline iri

« Reply #191 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 05:24:46 »
Just got a 128 iphone 6 in gold...
how much?

-Ray Bradbury

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #192 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 06:26:23 »
Just got a 128 iphone 6 in gold...
how much?

Free as I traded in my iPhone 5, though I'm on a 2 year contract...

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #193 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 13:57:43 »
So I put on the MIME feather glass screen protector today in my gold 6+. It went on very easily. It is completely clear and I had absolutely no air bubble problems. The glass itself is a little thick but I have no experience with glass protectors prior to this so it might be thinner than others on the market. It makes the home button feel a little more recessed but I'm sure its just something you will get used to fairly quickly. It doesn't interfere with anything but since is does have a little thickness to it, you get a slight shadow from the edges of the glass making the outside edge of the glass slightly visible. A minor cosmetic downfall but over all it seems like a great protector that I can actually use. I would certainly recommend it if you can pony up the extra cash as this will run you about $40, depending where you live you might get it cheaper.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #194 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 04:30:26 »
Have to say, compared to my 5, the 6 is so much nicer to type on... It's so nice... Man I just love typing on it... The ****

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #195 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 04:43:36 »
Have to say, compared to my 5, the 6 is so much nicer to type on... It's so nice... Man I just love typing on it... The ****

I don't think you're supposed to do that last part.

It's okay to love your phone... Just don't love your phone...
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #196 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 05:10:00 »

Damnit, so that's what caused all those issues with my old phone...

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #197 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 05:31:38 »

Damnit, so that's what caused all those issues with my old phone...

Yeah, that is pretty much NOT what you're supposed to use the vibrate settings or the recharge port for...

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #198 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 05:50:25 »
Recharge port? Not all of us are hung like horses you know... I just make do with the headphone jack u.u

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #199 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 10:02:04 »
Recharge port? Not all of us are hung like horses you know... I just make do with the headphone jack u.u

Or a square horse :-0
I'm back.