Author Topic: Ducky Shine 3 - Tenkeyless; German Layout with MXBrown and White LEDs  (Read 3225 times)

Offline neverlast74

So a new ducky shine 3 from Amazon brown with white LEDs (German Layout)

The keyboard overall is good. Although it seems my device is having a little bit of a problem.
There are 3 keys that is the uparrow, B and the N that ping pretty strong, which means, when you hit it and you release it then you hear a "ping" or a "zing" tone. As if the spring vibrates inside the mx switch. I have to RMA it.

Something all Cherry stabilzers tend to be but this one is pretty strong, is that this one is rather unresponsive and far away from clacky - rather muddy unclear touch-experience, I have a hard time to bottom out. As Space and Enter are hit very often ... :(

LEDs and backlight is fun but not really a reason for me to buy this keyboard. Strange is that in full LED light mode, if your key has 2 rows of signs printed on it - only the top sign gets something from the light all the others remain almost completely dark. (all numbers have this problem "$%&/ are bright - 2345 are dark)

How do the caps feel? Good. Really good. Not as good as double shots definitely one of the better caps.
How do the brown switches feel. Great. Less scratchy actually (except the ones with a stabilizers, backspace, enter, shift, space)

The use of FN+DEL = Mute. That is really great. A big plus is this layout of the media keys. I never liked the place where Zowie Celeritas put them. (FN+F1 which needs 2 hands if someone calls you, you have only 1 hand available)

A good keyboard I got a lemon - actually it was a second hand product.
Tour de kübord - Germany Layout:
Original IBM model M (too loud) -> rubber dome IBM Rapid Access II (mediocre) -> Cherry STREAM XT scissor switch (somewhat OK) -> G80 with clear (too hard for me) -> Zowie Celeritas with brown (good but dirty)-> Filco Majestouch 2 Brown (great) -> CM NovaTouch + Filco Doubleshots (best)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Ducky Shine 3 - Tenkeyless; German Layout with MXBrown and White LEDs
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 15:14:27 »
Sounds like there might be a problem with the LEDs :(

The ping happens quite a lot.  I don't have it on my Ducky keyboards, but some, like the CODE and some Filco, have really bad ping.

Sometimes there is a different switch under the space bar - my Duckys with MX blues have MX green under space.  Maybe you have MX clear, making it harder to press?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline neverlast74

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 16:17:55 »
>>Sounds like there might be a problem with the LEDs

I rather think the LEDs are mounted at the top side of the switch. The numbers on the cap - are on the bottom (south) and "behind" the stem so this makes it impossible to enlighten them.  Classic design-flaw.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 September 2014, 16:34:12 by neverlast74 »
Original IBM model M (too loud) -> rubber dome IBM Rapid Access II (mediocre) -> Cherry STREAM XT scissor switch (somewhat OK) -> G80 with clear (too hard for me) -> Zowie Celeritas with brown (good but dirty)-> Filco Majestouch 2 Brown (great) -> CM NovaTouch + Filco Doubleshots (best)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 17:33:13 »
>>Sounds like there might be a problem with the LEDs

I rather think the LEDs are mounted at the top side of the switch. The numbers on the cap - are on the bottom (south) and "behind" the stem so this makes it impossible to enlighten them.  Classic design-flaw.

Oh, is that all it is?

Many backlit keycap sets have the symbols reversed, my old Ducky Shine 1 has 1234 at the top of the keycap (and thus backlit) and the !@#$ at the bottom (not backlit).

Others have the symbols side by side at the top of the keycap.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline neverlast74

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 08:19:42 »
reversing or having it aligned horizontally makes more sense.... I wonder why they discontinued this good idea - see. This is the german version.
http://www.mindfactory.de/images/product_images/1280/962668_6__8589180-6.jpg

Classic design flaw - I personally would have used it for writing and only turned on F & J for orientation where to put my index fingers...

in the orange version they improved a bit
http://www.mindfactory.de/images/product_images/1280/962668_4__8589180-4.jpg as the numbers are somewhat OK to see but maybe just from that angle
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 September 2014, 08:21:57 by neverlast74 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 22:48:34 »
That second pic is a bit misleading, unless they have some way of channeling the light under the keycap.

My Ducky Shine 1 keycaps look like that, and the top symbol is well lit, the bottom symbol is barely lit at all.

Offline neverlast74

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 05:27:08 »
ah good to know. What I realized that inside the cap, they are white - so much for the channeling.

I guess (!) you are right and that is the reason why they have made this picture from this flat/shallow angle  :rolleyes: also turned to the side:
 so you see through the bottom signs the inside of the cap to the right inside wall - so it makes the lower row look bright. If you look from a more steep angle 45° ++ you will lose that.