Author Topic: List of Mac-friendly mechanical keyboards  (Read 60807 times)

Offline saturnotaku

List of Mac-friendly mechanical keyboards
« on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 11:31:04 »
Thought it might be worthwhile to make a list of mechanical keyboards that are accommodating to Mac users. While pretty much any keyboard can be used on a Mac, and you can use software to change layouts, I want to focus on models that can be configured in hardware. This includes DIP switches, programmable layers, and keyboards that are designed from the outset with OS X usage in mind. I'm also not going to list any Apple-brand vintage keyboards because it's assumed those will work if you can get the hardware to be recognized by the computer. Further, keyboards that require extensive hardware modification, such as the installation of a new controller, don't count. This list will be for keyboards that anyone can purchase from a brick and mortar or online retailer, flip a switch or use built-in programming, and be up and running.

• Das Keyboard Model S Pro for Mac: Designed as a Mac keyboard from the ground up and includes a USB hub for sync and charging.
  • DSI keyboards: DSI sells a modular keyboard with Cherry MX switches and OS X-compatible operation (volume, eject, etc). It's tenkeyless, and you can purchase a USB keypad that plugs into either side; the pad can also be used on its own with a USB extension cable.
  • Ducky Mini: A 60% keyboard whose layout can be made Mac-friendly via a programming layer rather than DIP switches. Has the same backlighting tricks as the Shine 3.
  • Ducky Shine 3: Windows/Command and Alt/Option swap available via DIP switch. Available with most MX switches and a variety of backlighting options that can be programmed to do all sorts of trippy things.
  • Happy Hacking Professional 2: "Mac Mode" available via DIP switch. 2-port USB hub for peripherals, not necessarily for charging. A supplemental driver enables volume up/down, mute, power, and eject commands, but I've not found it necessary as these functions seem to work fine when the keyboard is in Mac mode and connected to a system running OS X 10.8 or 10.9.
  • KBParadise V60 and V80: 60% and standard TKL boards that use DIP switches to mimic the Mac default layout. These are backlit and come in most Cherry MX switch varieties, making them a nice alternative to the WASD CODE.
  • Kinesis Advantage: Ergonomic keyboard with Cherry MX switches that can be ordered with a Mac layout.
  • KUL ES-87: A DIP switch swaps Windows and Alt. This keyboard also allows for enabling N-key rollover via DIP switch, and this should not be enabled if on a Mac
  • Matias Tactile Pro and Mini Tactile Pro: Mac-specific layout with extra USB ports and "ALPS-inspired" switches.
  • Micro Connectors D07-135: Another full-size, Mac-specific layout. This one apparently has ALPS-style switches. Comes in "strawberry" and "lime" colors, reminiscent of the original iMac. Very cheap at $15, but the quality is almost certainly commensurate with the price.
  • Razer Blackwidow Ultimate: There is a separate Mac version of this keyboard that works on OS X. Installing Razer's terrible synapse software isn't required for basic functionality, but it is if you want to use Macros.
  • Rogue Mondo: Full-size, native Mac layout with macro keys and five levels of backlighting. Only available with Cherry MX Black switches and pricey at US$230.
  • Unicomp Spacesaver M: Native Mac layout for all you buckling spring fans out there.
  • WASD Keyboards: Same as the KUL and WASD - Mac friendliess by swapping Windows and Alt. This also goes for the backlit CODE keyboard, which comes only in MX Clear, Green, and now Brown.

Right now, this will be a basic list to get started, and I'm hoping the community will chime in with more examples because I'm sure I've missed quite a few.

Revision history

1.0 (09/22/2014): Initial list.
1.01 (09/22/2014): Added KBParadise V60 and V80.
1.02 (09/23/2014): Added Unicomp Spacesaver M, Rogue Mondo, Micro Connections D07-135, Ducky Shine 3, and Ducky Mini.
1.03 (09/23/2014): Made the Kinesis Advantage a separate entry. Added Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Mac edition.
2.0 (09/23/2014): List now in alphabetical order.
2.01 (09/26/2014): Clarified that flipping a DIP switch changes the position of Windows and Alt keys to match a Mac layout.
2.02 (10/31/2014): Added a note to the HHKB that the extra driver to enable volume up/down, mute, and eject commands via the function layer is not necessary for Macs running OS X 10.8 or 10.9. I've tested and verified this on a Mac Pro, Mac Mini, and MacBook Pro.
2.03 (04/13/2015): Noted that the WASD CODE keyboard is now available with Cherry MX Browns.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 April 2015, 10:42:55 by saturnotaku »

Offline cruzin

Re: List of Mac-friendly mechanical keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 16:34:08 »
Pretty sure the KBP V60 also has a Mac mode available by DIP.
Current: Ergodox (Ergo-clears) | Kinesis Advantage (Browns) -- Colemak
Future: HHKB Pro 2 | Maltron L90 | µtron | Axios

Offline intelli78

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 01:11:34 »
Kinesis Freestyle 2 is technically a rubber dome, but is still a keyboard of interest, and it comes in a Mac variant.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 07:47:26 »
Ducky Shine 2 and Shine 3 have a DIP switch for Mac mode.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 08:30:45 »
Never tested it since I am not a Mac user, but I am pretty sure that any good ol IBM keyboard with a Soarer converter will work. At least that's what's claimed by Soarer and since his converter works amazingly well I have no reason to doubt it. So you can add the model F and M among others to the list!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 08:38:09 »
Never tested it since I am not a Mac user, but I am pretty sure that any good ol IBM keyboard with a Soarer converter will work. At least that's what's claimed by Soarer and since his converter works amazingly well I have no reason to doubt it. So you can add the model F and M among others to the list!

That's outside the scope of where I want to go with this. I'm talking about keyboards that you can buy, flip a switch, and have work. No soldering, additional hardware or software required.

Offline Jotokun

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 10:13:00 »

That's outside the scope of where I want to go with this. I'm talking about keyboards that you can buy, flip a switch, and have work. No soldering, additional hardware or software required.

Mac users looking for buckling springs can always get a Unicomp Spacesaver - http://pckeyboard.com/page/SpacesaverM/UNIZPHA
85 IBM Model F "120" ANSI-Modded | 86 IBM Model M | Cherry G84-4100 | TG3 Data911 (MX Blacks) | 90 Apple Extended II (Linear modded Cream ALPS) | 95 Apple Extended II (Dampened White ALPS)

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 10:26:40 »
MicroConnectors D07-135 will get you a true Mac layout (command in the correct place, Mac-style number pad) with tactile ALPS-style switches and a very low price, though quality does suffer accordingly.

Rogue Mondo Board gives you a true Mac layout with MX Black switches and gamer features at a high price.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 11:41:31 »
Many excellent suggestions. I had no idea some of these keyboards even existed. Thanks to all who have contributed so far.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 11:49:46 »
what about matias?

also, I think older mcally keyboards were mechancial.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 13:21:53 »

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 13:30:12 »
Kinesis Advantage.
And for that matter, the whole Kinesis Contoured line since Day 1.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 13:31:37 »
Kinesis Advantage.

Mentioned in #6  :thumb:

Unless, of course, you happen to know of other sources for this keyboard, then I will break it out separately.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 September 2014, 13:34:31 by saturnotaku »

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 13:34:05 »
Sorry, I obviously didn't "READ" the text...just the highlighted hypertext.

Maybe that's my problem.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 13:35:14 »
Sorry, I obviously didn't "READ" the text...just the hightlight hypertext.

Maybe that's my problem.

No worries. I wasn't trying to be condescending and apologize if you took my reply as such. I'm just glad people are thinking of these.  ;D

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 13:38:24 »
Sorry, I obviously didn't "READ" the text...just the hightlight hypertext.

Maybe that's my problem.

No worries. I wasn't trying to be condescending and apologize if you took my reply as such. I'm just glad people are thinking of these.  ;D

Acltually I believe you were.
Why don't we each get a Mac compatible keyboard and bludgeon each other? I pick IBM/Unicomp Spacesaver M.
I'm ready to fight over keyboards ANYDAYOFTHEWEEK!

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 13:42:31 »
Why don't we each get a Mac compatible keyboard and bludgeon each other? I pick IBM/Unicomp Spacesaver M.

I choose to dual-wield HHKBs - death by a thousand DIP switches. En garde!

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 13:45:04 »

I choose to dual-wield HHKBs - death by a thousand DIP switches. En garde!

GODDAMMIIIIITTT!!!!

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 14:06:07 »
what about matias?

#5 on the list  :p

oh man.

So I'm learning to type on blanks, and I ran a search on the page, and mistyped "matias". my bad.

Anyway, I choose my beloved IBM 107 key which has a custom controller and you better believe it's compatible with whatever OS I choose to grace with it's presence. I'll beat you both. Taking all comers.

I wonder if the KUL has mac support with all the million dip switches it's got. I think poker 2 does as well.
Kinesis Advantage.

Mentioned in #6  :thumb:

Unless, of course, you happen to know of other sources for this keyboard, then I will break it out separately.

I think so. DSI actually makes keyboards, and the kinesis is not one of them. Kinesis makes the kinesis.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 September 2014, 14:07:47 by dorkvader »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 14:13:08 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 September 2015, 14:12:14 by esoomenona »

Offline cruzin

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 14:31:48 »
The KUL ES-87 is #3 on the list. It worked great with my Mac.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 14:42:37 »
The Razer BlackWidow Ultimate does have a Mac specific layout available and will work without the crappy Synapse software. But for macro's and stuff you need the software. I had a couple of Mac version BlackWidow's that's what got me interested in modern mechanical keyboards. http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-blackwidow-ultimate 
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 September 2014, 15:13:58 by MJ45 »

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 15:06:32 »
The Razer BlackWidow Ultimate does have a Mac specific layout available and will work without the crappy Synapse software. But for macro's and stuff you the software. I had a couple of Mac version BlackWidow's that's what got me interested in modern mechanical keyboards. http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-blackwidow-ultimate

I was not aware of that. Added.

I've also put the list in alphabetical order, which should help minimize the posting of boards that have already been mentioned.

Offline mapple

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 07:37:06 »
huge question though shouldn't mac os work with all keyboard? I mean c'mon you can easy live without cmd sign on keyboard isn't that right?
In God We Trust

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 08:35:52 »
huge question though shouldn't mac os work with all keyboard? I mean c'mon you can easy live without cmd sign on keyboard isn't that right?

I think a major concern for mac users is that the alt and super keys be in the place they are on apple-branded keyboards.

Offline cruzin

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 11:21:56 »
On top of that, some people want media keys to work as well. And not all keyboards work well with a Mac. Noppoo Choc Mini I've read has issues, for example.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 11:34:14 »

How about you re-read the first paragraph of the opening post?

Offline tmtrademark

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 22:54:45 »
Just wanted to add, the "Mac mode" dip switch on the KUL ES-87 just swaps the Alt and Win keys. As mentioned, it works perfectly fine without enabling the switch, you just have to remember the difference in keys.

This list is super helpful, thanks a lot OP.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 15:27:32 »
Bumping this because I added some more information regarding the HHKB, and how it is apparently not necessary to install the special driver to enable volume up/down, mute, and eject functions when the keyboard is in Mac mode and connected to a system running OS X 10.8 or 10.9.

I tested this on 3 different Macs, all with the same result.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 21:38:36 »
Couple more for your list:

Jaki JB002 and JB001: According to Jaki, these keyboards have a function to change to Mac mode, and come with a set of Mac keycaps. They look pretty nice, too: backlit, wireless, with doubleshot keycaps, made in Taiwan (probably Datacomp). But it's expensive already in Asia, so would probably cost quite a lot to get it in the West, especially considering that it's not a very well-known brand. And I think we may have banned the representative that they tried to send. Their JD005 may or may not have the same compatibility; I'm not sure.

Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline macdja38

• pvpcraft
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 12:01:44 »
Das Keyboard 4 Ultimate is mac compatible including NKRO.
you have to switch 2 keys around in system preferences but without labels its not much of an issue.

dedicated media keys and volume nob work but sleep/wake does nothing by default.

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 00:47:34 »
The AEK and AEKII  ;)
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline julayyy

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 02:44:58 »
Most CM keyboard works on a Mac. I have a macbook air and I'm currently using the quickfire tk, which is known to have issue with the numlock key but if they don't mind downloading a program, then the TK will work.

Before the TK, I had the QFR and that works as well
QuickfireTK MX Reds         v60 mini MX Clears

Offline anacoluthon

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 03:51:11 »
Thanks, this is useful - I'm putting together a dual-boot Mac/Win machine.
Fixed itself?! Machines don't fix themselves!

Offline Hzza

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 04:09:09 »
I stumbled across this list the other day, thought it would be useful to have here as well.