Author Topic: good ergonomic Keyboard for work  (Read 1537 times)

Offline Mousearm

good ergonomic Keyboard for work
« on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 12:30:38 »
Hi,
I'm looking for a good ergonomic Keyboard for work besides Kinesis, TECK and ergodox. I must say I'm not to experienced in different switches i just compared intesively the mx blues, reds and browns - and i know how the rubber domes of natural 4000 und sculpt feel - but that is basically it.

The comparison of the cherry mx switches yielded the insight, that i like the browns best, but there where some days when i liked the reds better so it wasn't that the browns won by far.

now i was reading on this marvelous forum here  :thumb: that  Topre switches would so supberb, so i would be interested in boards with topre too, since the enthuasm made me curious. (but not µtron from japan, to expensive and i don't like the japanese keycaps)

besides the switches the board should:
  • be a smaller one something from 60 -75%
  • rather be ergonomic than normal
  • if you can reprogram keys like with the Kinesis this would be a big plus
  • extras like macro programming or the feature, that can be activated that the keys give a tone when activated gets extrapoints too

since i never had a soldering iron in my hand i would much prefer a more 'commercial' solution than something via massdrop like ergodox.

I'm fully aware that probably no recommendation will fullfill everything, but what are boards i should have a look at? Especially topre made me really curious....

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: good ergonomic Keyboard for work
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 14:13:59 »
ErgoDox from FalbaTech

Offline cruzin

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 16:30:10 »
Nothing will match exactly or even close to what you want since you cut out the three that would come closest. Axios is being developed but is nowhere near ready to purchase.
Current: Ergodox (Ergo-clears) | Kinesis Advantage (Browns) -- Colemak
Future: HHKB Pro 2 | Maltron L90 | µtron | Axios

Offline Premonition

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 16:34:45 »
The problem is, those are the three most common and highly thought-of MX boards you mention. The only other one I could think of other than the Goldtouch and some old boards that would cost you an arm and a leg (like an M15) would be the Maltron, which is pretty much the same as a Kinesis, but more expensive. Also, due to the price of the switches, there is no other ergonomic board for Topre than the mu-tron, so you'd have to go with one of those. If you're just looking for a compact layout, though, the FC660C and HHKB are the two compact Topres, both with a great layout depending on your needs, the FC660C with lots more functionality but slightly larger and not quite as pleasant to type on.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 18:19:29 »
If you can wait a couple months, you might like one of Matias’s upcoming ErgoPro keyboards, http://matias.ca/ergopro/

Though it doesn’t quite fit your requirement list.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 23:06:21 »
As far as ergonomic keyboards with mechanical switches, the ones you list plus the Matias ErgoPro are about it.

I have a Kinesis Freestyle. It works well, it has rubber domes, but they are nicer than most I've tried. They are lower force and have an activation point mid-stroke. Mechanical switches still feel a lot nicer in comparison. The VIP accessory is mandatory in my opinion.

The TypeMatrix is another keyboard I think is interesting and fits some of your requirements. It's best described as semi-ergonomic.

Offline Mousearm

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 12:17:07 »
thanks folks for much input. I know i have difficult needs  ;D

So my thinking is now:
- to find out it if could be worth it to wait for the ergopro i odered for testing purposes today the matias quiet pro mini, so tha i get a clue how the matias quiets are. Thx for the hint SonOfSonOfSpock.
- Happy Hacking and Leopold seems very hard to get in Germany. So does anyone have any other suggestion for a topre board, doesn't have to be ergonomic, just some board which is more broadly available, that i can check out the 'magic of the topre switches'
-  typematrix i did not google yet but need to check out this too... Not much time right now..

Greetings to all of ya rotten bunch  :)

Offline Premonition

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 14:04:03 »
thanks folks for much input. I know i have difficult needs  ;D

So my thinking is now:
- to find out it if could be worth it to wait for the ergopro i odered for testing purposes today the matias quiet pro mini, so tha i get a clue how the matias quiets are. Thx for the hint SonOfSonOfSpock.
- Happy Hacking and Leopold seems very hard to get in Germany. So does anyone have any other suggestion for a topre board, doesn't have to be ergonomic, just some board which is more broadly available, that i can check out the 'magic of the topre switches'
-  typematrix i did not google yet but need to check out this too... Not much time right now..

Greetings to all of ya rotten bunch  :)

If you want to try Topre, you could get a Type Heaven, pretty widely available and I think it's on ebay/amazon also, but you can get a Leopold from the Korean website if you're willing to go through that hassle. They're out of import in the US, not sure about Germany entirely.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 15:17:24 »
Goldtouch, but it's Rubber dome.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Mousearm

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 10:40:33 »
due to inspiring input from here i decided to order for further testing:

- for the topre i dedicded to go for one realforce 105UB (even with german layout yeahh) everyhing else i was not able to get with reasonable cost to germany.
- Razer Black widow ultimate stealth orange and one with green switches for the razor mechanical switches. Another thread @geekhack made me quiet curious about their switches.

I know my orders are far away from my requirements list. But during the last 2 days my interest in the different kind of switches grew (beginning with the topre) so i thought maybe its best to check some more switches before coming to final conclusions..

P.S. regarding the recommendations for typematrix, thanks for that new idea, but i really hate that big space bar which is wasting your thumb and then in combo with rubber domes...
Goldtouch i tested out already. I must say their rubber domes don't need much force but in the end i thought i like the browns more, but it not such a definite answer for their rubberdomes compared to a MS natural 4000 or MS sculpt i have to admit.

Greetings...