Author Topic: Few questions about my new Noppoo Choc Mini  (Read 2935 times)

Offline Zedaso

Few questions about my new Noppoo Choc Mini
« on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 01:15:18 »
Hi guys

I received my new keyboard today and I have noticed a few things I would like to ask you about.

1) I have noticed some of the keys sit lower than others, e.g. the F and J key sit lower down compared to every other key on that row, is this normal?
2) I noticed my keyboard does not have a blue light on some of the keys like it does in the picture on Amazon, and it also has a different layout; on the Amazon keyboard it has scroll lock, num lock, and switch lock keys in the top right, all with lights on, but my keyboard has print screen, pause break, and a delete key there with no lights. I am worried that I have a fake keyboard here?
Images on Amazon: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41QvGYFff7L.jpg & http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41l2OJqHoCL.jpg
3) The keys have a 'scratchy' feel to them when typing, almost as if they are touching...is this common with Noppoo's? My old keyboard felt smooth.
4) Finally, I would like to ask if anyone knows where I can buy custom key caps for this keyboard (just the WASD and ESC keys) and if changing the key caps affects performance in anyway. I have never done this before and I am quite an amateur when it comes to keyboards so sorry for the newbie questions.

Any help much appreciated!

Offline intelli78

Re: Few questions about my new Noppoo Choc Mini
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 01:20:08 »
(1) and (3) These aren't "normal" per se, but they are not entirely unexpected from a cheaper brand. You might get a unit with fewer quirks if you exchange, or you might not... I'd say to just try and not let it bother you. If it really does, maybe you should look into a more expensive board.

(2) there were several revisions of the Choc Mini, I'm sure yours is genuine, just different than what's pictured on Amazon.

(4) I have a buyer's guide on my blog (which sadly is falling by the wayside due to work projects). Look under the keycap --> Cherry MX misc/novelty section
http://www.keychatter.com/buyers-guide/

I believe the Choc Mini has OEM profile caps, so just make sure you get OEM profile replacements or you'll have uneven key heights/shapes. As long as you do that you should not have any issues.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 02:41:48 »
The latest versions have the keycaps as you describe, on both the backlit and non-backlit versions. The backlit one has UV coated keycaps, though.

Looks like the F and J keys have a slightly different angle to them, so the bottom edge is lower than the adjacent caps. This looks like a normal thing for this particular board:
https://d2qmzng4l690lq.cloudfront.net/resizer/1500x1000/r/MD-3170_20140730102550_443c12e3b6c4cd8f.jpg
http://deskthority.net/resources/image/2668

The first image is the non-backlit board, second is backlit.

You can see more pictures here: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/noppoo-choc-mini?mode=guest_open
And here: http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/noppoo-choc-mini-backlight-impressions-t2333.html

What switches does it have? I find most new Cherry MX switches have a slightly "scratchy" feeling until they're worn in. It's most noticeable with thin, light keycaps and worse with some switch types than with others. With those thick POM caps on it should be minised, so maybe there is some other issue. Does it seem to be on all keys, or just certain ones? If it's just a few, it could be the same issue someone else here had of poor top case moldings that left a piece of material at the stem opening that scraped on the stems, but IIRC it was only on one or two keys.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 03:59:00 »
1) I have noticed some of the keys sit lower than others, e.g. the F and J key sit lower down compared to every other key on that row, is this normal?
I've never noticed anything like this, but if it's F and J, it could be a feature just like some keyboards have dished keycaps on these home keys.

2) I noticed my keyboard does not have a blue light on some of the keys like it does in the picture on Amazon, and it also has a different layout; on the Amazon keyboard it has scroll lock, num lock, and switch lock keys in the top right, all with lights on, but my keyboard has print screen, pause break, and a delete key there with no lights. I am worried that I have a fake keyboard here?
This has been asked a few times, STFW and common sense people!

No, it isn't fake. Why would it be? Noppoo is already a brand that releases knock-off products. And if it were fake, does it even mean anything? I mean, this is a gabendamn cheap gaming keyboard, not a novelty like rare vintage Cherry boards or say cracks^Wclacks.

There have been many revisions of the choc mini, with slightly different layouts, cases, cables and all that jazz.

3) The keys have a 'scratchy' feel to them when typing, almost as if they are touching...is this common with Noppoo's? My old keyboard felt smooth.
It's Cherry MX and probably brand new. Moreover, there's certain level of inconsistency among different batches of the same switch. Nothing unexpected. It will change with use (or you just don't like the combination of switches, keycaps and mounting).

The only actual problem might be a keycap grinding against the case (happens with off-center presses of right arrow in my case).

4) Finally, I would like to ask if anyone knows where I can buy custom key caps for this keyboard (just the WASD and ESC keys) and if changing the key caps affects performance in anyway.
Go to the keycaps subforum, one of the first posts is a sticky that lists keycap vendors.

I believe the Choc Mini has OEM profile caps, so just make sure you get OEM profile replacements or you'll have uneven key heights/shapes. As long as you do that you should not have any issues.
Nope. It's Cherry profile by PLUM.

Cherry alphas, F keys and arrows fit perfectly. Actually, the only potential issues are spacebar (no replacements exist), right Shift (compatible with rack Cherry keyboards like 11900/1800), bottom-row modifiers (compatible with a mix of winkeyless and modern rack Cherry boards works on older revisions, newer revisions require a Moogle kit) and the navigation column (any column from the numpad works well).

Some people replace everything but the spacebar by aftermarket DSA sets. It's possible, but a downgrade in quality, if you ask me. Imsto's sets, stuff made by GMK in general, harvests from Cherry Corp. keyboards and possibly some Leopold keycaps are quite a lot of options in the end.

Offline speedygonz

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 04:35:36 »

Cherry alphas, F keys and arrows fit perfectly. Actually, the only potential issues are spacebar (no replacements exist), right Shift (compatible with rack Cherry keyboards like 11900/1800), bottom-row modifiers (compatible with a mix of winkeyless and modern rack Cherry boards works on older revisions, newer revisions require a Moogle kit) and the navigation column (any column from the numpad works well).

You're probably unaware of the 3D printed Noppoo spacebar replacements. The material isn't the same as the typical ABS/POM/PBT but at least an option exists for Choc Mini users.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 04:40:06 »

Good to know!
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 05:04:53 »

You're probably unaware of the 3D printed Noppoo spacebar replacements. The material isn't the same as the typical ABS/POM/PBT but at least an option exists for Choc Mini users.
And the point is? Buying a €13+ spacebar for a €60 keyboard puts crack^Wclack addicts to shame.

Offline speedygonz

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 20:08:28 »
The point is that a replacement exists for people who are willing to spend the money, and that you claiming (no replacements exist) is ill-informed advice for Choc Mini users.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 00:57:06 »
The point is that a replacement exists for people who are willing to spend the money, and that you claiming (no replacements exist) is ill-informed advice for Choc Mini users.

If you already have the board it's nice to know all the options. If you're thinking of getting the board it's also nice to know all the options, including the fact that it's really expensive to get a replacement spacebar and that it won't quite match the surface texture, colour or feel of your other keycaps.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 01:18:45 »
Such option obviously exists for any keyboard (or at least with Cherry MX). “Oh, you want replacement set for a TECK? Easy. Just have the middle column 3D printed.” Yeah, no. That's a custom DIY solution (optionally outsourced).

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 03:34:17 »
Such option obviously exists for any keyboard (or at least with Cherry MX). “Oh, you want replacement set for a TECK? Easy. Just have the middle column 3D printed.” Yeah, no. That's a custom DIY solution (optionally outsourced).

It's a lot easier to order a Shapeways part that exists already (as easy as ordering keycaps from many other online stores) than to design a new one yourself. Not the same thing.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 05:01:58 »
Well then, if HyperPoo goes through, you'll be able to order a replacement PCB and use basically any normal keycap set.