Author Topic: Vortex PBT caps normally a little loose?  (Read 1716 times)

Offline cruzin

Vortex PBT caps normally a little loose?
« on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 23:46:55 »
I received my side-printed PBT keycaps from MD the other day and promptly added them to my Advantage. I really like the feel of them compared to the stock caps that came with it, but I noticed the caps are loose on the switches. Is that normal for PBT caps? Is there a way to tighten them?
Current: Ergodox (Ergo-clears) | Kinesis Advantage (Browns) -- Colemak
Future: HHKB Pro 2 | Maltron L90 | µtron | Axios

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Vortex PBT caps normally a little loose?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 01:24:51 »
I don't know about PBT keycaps in general, although it is possible.

Same fix for Costar stabiliser inserts applies to keycaps: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40501.0#post_YY
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 02:00:01 »
I received my side-printed PBT keycaps from MD the other day and promptly added them to my Advantage. I really like the feel of them compared to the stock caps that came with it, but I noticed the caps are loose on the switches. Is that normal for PBT caps? Is there a way to tighten them?

I got the same set, and did notice they are a bit looser than usual (although I have them on Clears so they're still snug).  Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to tighten the fit.

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 04:43:49 »
same as mine. but it does not come off easily though so i dont think it would be a problem.
TGR Jane CE | TX-CP | ZZ96 | HHKB | Ducky Shine 3 | Atreus | Infinity Ergodox | IBM Model M | Smart Pad | Taobao Acrylic 96 | TGR910 SE | RGB96 | M4-A | Moon

Pending: Exent | EM7 | M-60 | Kira EXS | 910 Poly | Kn210 | Alice

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 05:03:34 »
A noticed one or two people also said that about the side caps in the discussion.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 09:41:42 »
Well the keycap from massdrop was suppose to be OEM profile, but Vortex mixed up the order and made Cherry profile instead.

As far as I know all the Cherry replica are made from the same place as imsto's keycaps, and imsto's keycaps are well known for being loose.

So as far as I know, only cherry profile PBT that's made in China will be loose, if you have OEM profile PBT chances are you'll be fine.

In your case then yes it will be loose and it's normal.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline cruzin

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 11:22:50 »
I don't know about PBT keycaps in general, although it is possible.

Same fix for Costar stabiliser inserts applies to keycaps: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40501.0#post_YY

Thanks for the tip. I'll give this a try.

Offline cruzin

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 11:26:14 »
same as mine. but it does not come off easily though so i dont think it would be a problem.

In the case of my Advantage, the key wells are bowl-shaped so some of them do come off somewhat easily because of the angle of the key. The 8 key has come off three times now for example.

Offline WiNloSt

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 20:35:00 »
I just got my side printed keycaps yesterday. But apparently they seemed to fit really well on my Ducky Zero when comparing vortex PBT double shot V1 (the one without inverted color mod).