Author Topic: Kiibohd 9 - Bay Area Monthly Keyboard Meetup - 2014/10/25  (Read 14633 times)

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Kiibohd 9 - Bay Area Monthly Keyboard Meetup - 2014/10/25
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 01:47:05 »
Github/SF sounds like a lot of fun.

I literally just made plans to watch the game with a client right before I read this thread, so I'm going to miss this one. :(

Offline Sniping

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 01:54:53 »
Now considering that there's going to be a game going on near Github, would it be better to drive there and park, or take public transportation?

Also if anyone has Matias clicky/silent keyboards please bring them so I can try them out and compare! I'll bring my silenced Realforce 87U to show off and maybe sell, as well as my Poker II. I picked up a Model F PC/AT off eBay this week but I don't think it will arrive in time for the event.

I'd go for public transportation. Parking=huge pain

I can bring in an F AT. I don't have cool keycaps so I'm just going to bring random keyboards...

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 01:59:40 »
Now considering that there's going to be a game going on near Github, would it be better to drive there and park, or take public transportation?

Also if anyone has Matias clicky/silent keyboards please bring them so I can try them out and compare! I'll bring my silenced Realforce 87U to show off and maybe sell, as well as my Poker II. I picked up a Model F PC/AT off eBay this week but I don't think it will arrive in time for the event.

I can bring in an F AT. I don't have cool keycaps so I'm just going to bring random keyboards...

Sounds good. I'll just take the caltrain express from the Mountain View stop, arrive at 11:45, grab some lunch and head to Github. Unless Github is providing lunch :wink: :wink: :nudge: :nudge:

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 02:40:00 »

Sounds good. I'll just take the caltrain express from the Mountain View stop, arrive at 11:45, grab some lunch and head to Github. Unless Github is providing lunch :wink: :wink: :nudge: :nudge:

Lunch isn't "provided" but there will be the option to partake in delivered food (because **** going out on Giants day). Definitely do transit. Parking will be $60 if you can even find it.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 02:40:48 »
Github/SF sounds like a lot of fun.

I literally just made plans to watch the game with a client right before I read this thread, so I'm going to miss this one. :(

No worries man. Any time you wanna visit you know where to find me. :D

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 02:41:33 »

I've got a Matias quiet at the office but I've only got loose clickies. I'll bring some of them.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 02:51:52 »
Is anyone driving who wouldn’t mind picking me (and a pile of keyboards) up in the Mission? Otherwise I’ll have to catch a taxi.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 08:46:06 »
So the (total of) three ChargePoints in your neck of the woods are likely to be full?  Dang.

I'm bringing a GH36 and a GH36x2.  I can give one human and three cubic feet of keyboards a lift from Mountain View/Palo Alto.

And back, if I can find a car charger during the World Series!  Go Giants!

- Ron | samwisekoi
Sig auto-typed by my GH36 LH keypad.
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 12:04:30 »
Got both the Novatouch and 456GT to the office today, as well as the Viper and Eagle kits for jwaz and cgbuen! I am going home this evening but I don't think I need to bring anything else.

Let me know if I'm wrong.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 12:33:29 »
Got both the Novatouch and 456GT to the office today, as well as the Viper and Eagle kits for jwaz and cgbuen! I am going home this evening but I don't think I need to bring anything else.

Show Image

Let me know if I'm wrong.

Damn I can't wait for tomorrow!

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 13:14:25 »
I'm in Santa Clara and don't have a car or anything (no parking in SF anyways). I was planning on walking to the Caltrain station and taking that up to the San Francisco stop.

How far is Github from the stop? Can I walk or will I need to get on a bus or uber? I suppose I could always check out Google maps.

Edit: looks like its a little over half a mile (a couple of blocks), so walking should be doable.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 October 2014, 13:20:10 by Smasher816 »

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 13:50:52 »
I'm in Santa Clara and don't have a car or anything (no parking in SF anyways). I was planning on walking to the Caltrain station and taking that up to the San Francisco stop.

How far is Github from the stop? Can I walk or will I need to get on a bus or uber? I suppose I could always check out Google maps.

Edit: looks like its a little over half a mile (a couple of blocks), so walking should be doable.

What train do you plan on taking? I'm still split on Bart or Caltrain.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 14:31:24 »

What train do you plan on taking? I'm still split on Bart or Caltrain.

The walk is effortless. My advice due to Giants is to walk north on fourth until you get to Brannan then hang right and just take Brannan all the way to the first right past 2nd. Walk down that street and look for the Octocat silhouette. Walk through that door.  :D

Offline remdell

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 17:45:31 »
If I plan on taking BART, should I just stop at Montgomery and walk down on 2nd to get to Brennan?

Also, I plan to bring my Dauphin since it's pretty much my only board with cool keycaps.  I also might bring my FC660C with JP 10th anniversary RF keycaps.

Rukia PC | RF87U Digilog | Norbaforce MKII Palm Desert | Zenith ZKB-2R | Datadesk MAC-101

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 18:15:21 »
If I plan on taking BART, should I just stop at Montgomery and walk down on 2nd to get to Brennan?

Also, I plan to bring my Dauphin since it's pretty much my only board with cool keycaps.  I also might bring my FC660C with JP 10th anniversary RF keycaps.

Show Image

Yup Montgomery is the closest station and its like a 15 minute walk just down the street.

Pretty sweet board by the way!

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 18:16:43 »

Show Image

Yeah, definitely. It's not as leisurely as the walk from caltrain but very doable.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 23:33:44 »
Oh, can someone bring an XT to USB protocol converter? (I would make one right now out of a Teensy, but I’m all out of unused Teensies.)

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 00:08:57 »
Oh, can someone bring an XT to USB protocol converter? (I would make one right now out of a Teensy, but I’m all out of unused Teensies.)

XT is physically compatible with AT right? If I reflash my Soarer with a AT -> PS/2 to do XT layout everything will work?

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 00:20:18 »
XT is physically compatible with AT right? If I reflash my Soarer with a AT -> PS/2 to do XT layout everything will work?
I think it should, yes. We can try it out and see. :)

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 00:40:00 »
Bringing a backpack with a couple keyboards and a box full of keycaps. As long as I don't get mugged, it'll be great!

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #70 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 02:33:12 »
Weather reports say a good chance of rain in SF. Bring a rain jacket or an umbrella and make sure your electronics are covered!

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 03:12:52 »
Will try to bring my Kish! Maybe someone can help out with why the buzzer doesn't work.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 04:16:30 »
If someone is bringing a kishsaver, maybe I’ll leave the 107-key at home. It’s damn heavy. (But since the theme is keycaps, I wanted to have an example of the curved-backplate + uniform keycaps type of board, for comparison with uniform flat, uniform stepped, and sculptured keycap types.)
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 October 2014, 04:18:16 by jacobolus »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 04:19:32 »
nuclearsandwich: I was going to bring an XT Zenith keyboard with green alps and a buzzer, which is why I wanted the XT–>USB converter, but actually I think I’m going to bring a different green Alps board instead, since it’s a bit more unusual (in which case there’s no need for the converter). Or maybe I should just bring both.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 08:29:30 »
nuclearsandwich: I was going to bring an XT Zenith keyboard with green alps and a buzzer, which is why I wanted the XT–>USB converter, but actually I think I’m going to bring a different green Alps board instead, since it’s a bit more unusual (in which case there’s no need for the converter). Or maybe I should just bring both.

I'll have the converter on hand for whichever you decide. I vote for rarer if you have to pick one of the two. I need to put some of my green Alps in something more compact than a ZKB-2R.

I'm stoked that it's raining but as heliosphere said, protect your keyboards during commute!

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 08:34:11 »
Is there gonna be any thick WYSE there? It's kind of a shame when you look at what SP used to be capable of producing. They're sets would actually be worth what they cost at low tiers if they pumped that much plastic into them. I'll bring a set just in case.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 09:13:42 »
Gah. I screwed up and forgot to grab the DIN to miniDIN adapter for my converter. If you don't have one of them jacobolus you can definitely leave the XT for another meetup. :(

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 09:44:36 »
Weather reports say a good chance of rain in SF. Bring a rain jacket or an umbrella and make sure your electronics are covered!

Yeah I just woke up and its wet.  :( Definitely keep those keyboards dry guys!

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 11:10:37 »
It's great that we finally have some rain here, but today of all days... :/

Offline remdell

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 12:36:50 »
Gah. I screwed up and forgot to grab the DIN to miniDIN adapter for my converter. If you don't have one of them jacobolus you can definitely leave the XT for another meetup. :(

If you're talking about a 5-pin DIN  to PS/2 adapter, I can bring two with me to the meetup.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 October 2014, 12:46:28 by remdell »
Rukia PC | RF87U Digilog | Norbaforce MKII Palm Desert | Zenith ZKB-2R | Datadesk MAC-101

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 12:43:39 »

If you're talking about a 5-pin DIN  to PS/2 adapter, I can bring two with me to the meetup.

That would be awesome!

Offline remdell

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 12:46:58 »

That would be awesome!

I can also bring my Zenith AT board (ZKB-2R) with yellow Alps and buzzer if jacobolus doesn't bring his XT Zenith board.  I have the same AT board with green Alps, but a few keys don't function (might need to resolder, but I lack soldering equipment).

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 12:51:57 »

That would be awesome!

I can also bring my Zenith AT board (ZKB-2R) with yellow Alps and buzzer if jacobolus doesn't bring his XT Zenith board.  I have the same AT board with green Alps, but a few keys don't function (might need to resolder, but I lack soldering equipment).

Bring the busted one and we'll open it here! That is, if anyone has a soldapullt and flux for rework. Our equipment is pretty barren at the moment.

On one of my 2Rs, it's not the solder joint but some switches themselves that appear to've given out.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 13:44:38 »
Grabbed a set of OG Wyse keycaps to bring.  Also some new SP "Wyse" for comparison.

- Ron | samwisekoi
Dang, my GH36 is already in my bag, and cannot auto-type my sig.
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 14:54:54 »
So how do we get in? Lol

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 15:09:29 »
Woke up late. On my way now. Should be there. A little before 3 I guess.

Will I need to text someone when I get there to let me in?

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 15:14:50 »
Running super fashionably late :3

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #87 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 15:18:34 »
Woke up late. On my way now. Should be there. A little before 3 I guess.

Will I need to text someone when I get there to let me in?

PMing you my number.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #88 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 18:39:14 »
Thanks very much, one and all!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #89 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 21:46:34 »
Thank you so much nuclearsandwich! Wonderful hospitality and a really great host! I wish I could be your co-worker after today! :thumb: For those who missed out be sure to make the next one! It was great meeting all of you and I am sure I will see all of you guys again soon! So many great keyboards and tons of great conversations. If any of you guys need something or need some help feel free to pm me!  :p

Cheers!

Martin

Offline Sniping

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 22:29:58 »
Holy crap this meetup was rad.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 22:33:15 »
Looks like it was a good time guys XD

It was awesome seeing y'all on Hangouts

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #92 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 22:35:24 »
Holy crap this meetup was rad.

Your lightsaver was rad!

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #93 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 22:48:52 »
We forgot to take a group picture...  :blank:

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #94 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 22:58:39 »
So I think there were thirteen of us who made it here today. Which if I recall correctly is one of the best attendance numbers in the recent months. Had a blast hosting on behalf of GitHub and you can definitely consider us part of the regular rotation.

Thanks everyone who came, and even everyone who said hi, but wasn't able to make it. If you had any problems with our facilities or staff today, please feel free to let me know via PM or email ( which you can see at https://github.com/nuclearsandwich ). If on the off chance you had a problem with *me* and you don't feel comfortable notifying me directly, jwaz and HaaTa have the email address of one of my coworkers.

The sponsored pizza was a last minute surprise. If we do food next time, we'll do something different.

Also a huge shoutout to HoffmanMyster and the Wisconsin meetup we got to hangout with briefly. It was disastrous and fun.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 23:00:58 »
I think it was charming that the call was so odd XD.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #96 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 23:06:05 »
I'm jealous of this! Looks like you guys had a blast (we did too though! :P ).

I said it in the WI thread, but I'll say it again here. Thanks for humouring me and letting us chat briefly with you guys. It may have been super awkward and a minor failure, but damnit I had fun!  :))

And it's always great to see you guys, I love you all and hope you had a fun time despite your inclement weather!  :-*

Offline remdell

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 01:22:09 »
This meetup was great! Big props to nuclearsandwich, as he was a wonderful host.  The showcase of keyboards, the quick introduction with the Midwest meetup, and the tour of GitHub made today so much fun.  I saw a lot of new faces today, and I hope to see the same and more new faces during future meetups. 

Until next time guys,
remdell

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #98 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 02:31:21 »
People who came, we haven't done it in the past, and I'm making the most work for hacoboloose but if you could post a list of the keyboards you brought. I think it'd be really neat to keep track of that. Here's mine:

- 456GT - By request and Super smooth (maybe 62g, maybe just super well lubricated) MX blacks with a fancy housing.
- Duck Viper - Soware set
- Novatouch - Commando SA set and various other thin PBT, DCS, DSA, and POM keycaps.
- GON Skinny - It's my old daily driver at work
- Matias Quiet Pro fullsize
- Tex Yoda - Kinda brought it, kinda broke it  :eek:

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #99 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 03:02:47 »
People who came, we haven't done it in the past, and I'm making the most work for hacoboloose but if you could post a list of the keyboards you brought. I think it'd be really neat to keep track of that. Here's mine:

Hmm, let’s see...
- Epson HX-20 (Cherry M8)
- NEC PC-8201 (Alps SKFL)
- disembodied keyboard from Atari 600XL (Alps SKFL)
- disembodied keyboard from Apple //c model A2S4100 (amber alps)
- disembodied keyboard from Macintosh Portable (salmon alps)
- disembodied keyboard from IBM PC Convertible 5140 (brown alps)
- disembodied keyboard from some Canon AP-series typewriter (alps integrated dome and awesome keycaps)
- disembodied cherry ML-based laptop keyboard
- keyboard from luggable NEC PowerMate Portable (blue alps)
- Magitronic branded FK-2001 (white Alps)
- two Minicoms (one with vintage MX black, another with linear MX clones)
- “Keyboard and Personality Module” in DEC terminal layout (green Alps)
- 101-key ANSI-layout Televideo terminal keyboard (white space invaders)
- Some kind of video editing keyboard I got from mkawa (black space invaders)
- Some terrible linear-ish Futaba board with sorta interesting doubleshot caps
- IBM 4704 Model F, 107-key
- Some Chicony board with a trackball (blue SMKs)
- keyboard from IBM P70 (Alps plate spring) with the keycaps swapped out for ones from a Wang board, and a baggie of the original caps
- a baggie of caps from a Sony video editing keyboard
- two prototype “ergonomic” keyboards (one clicky Matias, one MX blue), and half an ergodox (spring-swapped MX clear) for comparison

I think that was all of it, but I might be forgetting one or two. Since the theme was “keycaps”, I tried to bring things that mostly had different sorts of keycaps (different top shapes, different profiles, different materials, different printing methods).