Author Topic: Regarding Timeout Errors for New Topics  (Read 8857 times)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Regarding Timeout Errors for New Topics
« on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 02:06:29 »
This post seemed most relevant to the Classifieds subforum, as we've had the most issues there in the last few days.

However, this announcement does apply to the entire forum, so please take note.

All!  We've been having a lot of issues with timeout errors on geekhack, and in the Classifieds subforum in particular.

If you receive an error while creating a new topic (or posting anything), please open a new tab to check if the post went through.  What happens most commonly is that the post actually does go through, and you wind up creating multiple topics. 
In most subforums you'll eventually see it, or at the very least someone else will catch the duplicate threads and report them for deletion.  In the classifieds subforum, however, these posts are hidden to only the moderators and the thread creator, so there is a much smaller group of people who notices it.  This causes quite a few threads to pop up and need to be cleaned.

So if you're posting a new thread (Classifieds or anywhere) and receive an error, please help to prevent multiple threads being created by double checking.

If there are any questions directly related to this, feel free to post them below and we will address them as needed.

Thanks!
-Hoffman

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
Re: Regarding Timeout Errors for New Topics
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 02:08:16 »
In fact, both of the threads I created to address this issue have suffered 504 errors.  How fitting!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 08:58:04 »
Is it just new topics, or are normal posts affected as well?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 08:59:33 »
Personally I haven't experienced any 504 errors recently.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 09:00:19 »
Is it just new topics, or are normal posts affected as well?

I've never had posts time out, just new topics.  Every new topic I've posted in the last couple weeks has had this happen. 

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 07:51:08 »
we're still working out the kinks in a particular piece of software in our stack. the timeout errors are all directly related to this. thanks for your patience while we get this working

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 20:21:19 »
Getting something even weirder. The newest thread submitted to any subforum isn't showing up on the main page. It shows only the last thread that was posted in, not the last thread posted. Weird.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 18:15:52 »
HOLY **** I AM SO SORRY I POSTED LIKE 10 TOPICS IN THE CLASSIFIEDS JSUT NOW..... :(

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 18:20:47 »
HOLY **** I AM SO SORRY I POSTED LIKE 10 TOPICS IN THE CLASSIFIEDS JSUT NOW..... :(

I removed them, can you try and post the thread again?

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 18:44:14 »
sure, re-writing it, thanks for being so quick, based mod!

edit: ok looks like just one now - cheers
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 September 2014, 18:55:23 by munch »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 16:42:37 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 September 2015, 09:31:15 by esoomenona »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 16:45:32 »
Lalala. Oh look, it's this thread. Maybe I should continually bring it to the top in hopes of people reading it before posting.

Unlikely :))

It seems that the posts go through, but the browser reports an error.  So most people post again, before checking whether the original post had gone through.

Some people are more persistent than others.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 17:08:33 »
Lalala. Oh look, it's this thread. Maybe I should continually bring it to the top in hopes of people reading it before posting.

Unlikely :))

It seems that the posts go through, but the browser reports an error.  So most people post again, before checking whether the original post had gone through.

Some people are more persistent than others.

Pretty much.

I'm almost 100% sure that the admins know what the issue is, none of them have had the time to fix it. I think there are some schedule gaps coming up for one or two of the admins soon, so this shouldn't be an issue for much longer.

For now, keep reporting multiples (some people are really really good about this, you know who you are).
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 17:10:37 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 September 2015, 09:30:55 by esoomenona »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 17:36:22 »
Pretty much.

I'm almost 100% sure that the admins know what the issue is, none of them have had the time to fix it. I think there are some schedule gaps coming up for one or two of the admins soon, so this shouldn't be an issue for much longer.

For now, keep reporting multiples (some people are really really good about this, you know who you are).

Is this an official staff post, or just, like, your opinion, man?

it's not official, it's just how i understand what's happening with this