Author Topic: I Know Nothing About Keyboards!  (Read 2560 times)

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
I Know Nothing About Keyboards!
« on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 20:37:33 »
But I'm here to learn! I've always considered myself a typist, but that was solely based on my typing speed using cheap membrane/scissor-switch keyboards. That's changed. I know not what separates a true typist from a keyboard enthusiast, or if they're one and the same. What I do know is that I'm interested in knowing the differences. I don't own a keyboard other than the integrated keyboard in my laptop, but I've been doing a lot of research on mechanical keyboards and it's the one peripheral for my new computer I'm most looking forward to getting my hands on. Literally.

I've recently ordered a Cherry MX Switch Sampler off of Amazon to test out the most common switches before I make a purchase. I initially wanted to get the blues for that tactile sensation I've read and heard so much about, but while I do type a lot, I also game and want to stream with in-game audio and commentary. What seemed like the best solution is the compromising browns. Supposedly not as tactile-y or clicky as the blues? Correct me if I'm wrong. I've said no to reds and blacks, but I can't really say no until I've tried them out.

That said, I'm a backlight freak and have been eyeing the Corsair Gaming K70 RGB with brown switches. This forum hasn't exactly given it rave reviews, though. I'm curious to know more about why.

If you have any recommendations for a gamer and typist that's just getting started with mechanical keyboards, please do share. I'm open to any advice and criticism towards my choices. I've loved reading posts on the forums so far and would love to be a part of this community.

Best,

Notsonerd
KBParadise V60 with Cherry MX Browns | Corsair K60 with Cherry MX Reds

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
Re: I Know Nothing About Keyboards!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 20:41:56 »
Open to learn, open to admitting you're uninformed - this is great! I'm very far from the clicky elites here, but I can say that if you want to do streaming and you'll be on mic a lot, blues are loud man. Blues and greens make a ton of noise. I've got Whites on my KBT Pure and they're not as loud, but they still have the click and it is still audible sometimes to my teammates over skype or mumble. Brown/clear is definitely worth looking into and I'm going to make my next purchase along those lines I think.

Anyways, hello! And welcome (from someone also terribly new)!

Offline NotAPrune

• Switch Racist
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 21:08:28 »
Welcome!

I would also advise taking your microphone setup into consideration. I have a Leopold FC200R with blue swithces and have a Blue-Yeti microhpone sitting on my desk. I plan to get a boom for it oneday, but have not gotten around to doing so. My brother did an interesting test though as you can very clearly hear every keystroke as an impact through the desk even without blue switches. He made a small shockmount with some old K'nex we had lieing around and made a suspended platform with string to absorb impact and it greatly improved the audio quality. Blues, while audible sound quiet and nice in the background.
I came to chew keycaps and ask dumb questions, and I'm all out of keycaps.

Offline Elocutive

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 21:27:51 »
^

I would also recommend topre or cherry mx clears if you are solely a typist. Clears are alike browns, but are slightly heavier and have a more distinguished tactile bump. This message was brought to you by my clears  :p
LZCE- Black, red, ergo clears

Wanting Skeldon

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 22:25:01 »
You're already ahead of the game.

I've been around for a bit, yet have learned nothing.

Glad to have you on board.

This is the place you want to be to learn everything you need to know, and to teach others along the way.  :thumb:

As for a recommendation, I also believe you should check out clears. Once you receive your sample kit, you should be able to find out if you like clears or browns.

Best of luck!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 22:26:54 »
Welcome to GH!

If you want a recommendation, I really like red switches. They're probably my favorite switch for both typing and gaming. Blues are my 2nd favorite.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 22:59:38 »
Aw, thanks for the warm welcome. Odd, I never considered clears before. I'll have to give that one a bit more attention when my sampler kit arrives.

@TacticalStache: From what I've read, there's quite a contrast between reds and blues in feel. I have seen some people like yourself who prefer reds above all else for all their typing needs. I wonder if they also fit the bill for me.

Offline NotAPrune

• Switch Racist
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 00:57:46 »
Aw, thanks for the warm welcome. Odd, I never considered clears before. I'll have to give that one a bit more attention when my sampler kit arrives.

@TacticalStache: From what I've read, there's quite a contrast between reds and blues in feel. I have seen some people like yourself who prefer reds above all else for all their typing needs. I wonder if they also fit the bill for me.

Reds and Blues feel very different, but personally they are my 2 favourite switches to type on. I use blues at home because I don't care about noise, but I work in an open plan office and so for the sake of my colleagues I stayed away from blues. I ended up with black switches, because I had a gift voucher to burn at a store here and that's all they had in stock. I am going to be pulling apart my spare Ducky DK9008 with blues though and putting the black stems into them for ghetto reds at some point.
I came to chew keycaps and ask dumb questions, and I'm all out of keycaps.

Offline kitsun8

• In need of some cash
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 08:40:24 »
Open to learn, open to admitting you're uninformed - this is great! I'm very far from the clicky elites here, but I can say that if you want to do streaming and you'll be on mic a lot, blues are loud man. Blues and greens make a ton of noise. I've got Whites on my KBT Pure and they're not as loud, but they still have the click and it is still audible sometimes to my teammates over skype or mumble. Brown/clear is definitely worth looking into and I'm going to make my next purchase along those lines I think.

Anyways, hello! And welcome (from someone also terribly new)!
My friends used to hate me for using blues... now i'm on reds and life is great ;D

Offline ADFX_Pixy

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 18:24:24 »
I saw Linus' video on the RGB K70 as I was curious. But after watching that the keyboard software is complicated and it's not even fully accessible, I lost interest. My Ducky Shine 3 is known for its backlighting features along with a solid build and I don't regret it at all. The keyboard only uses one color of light for all the keys (not including the 2 RGB LED's on both sides of the spacebar) but there are many choices. Oh and the new "Corsair Gaming" logo is a bit of a turnoff imo. Seems like one of those cheap "gaming keyboards" that you can find on Amazon for less than $50. You are definitely going to enjoy your time here, as there are many entertaining and informative posts in these boards.
CM Storm Quickfire Stealth Cherry MX Brown
Mechanicalkeyboards.com MK 2016 Cherry MX Brown

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 18:36:04 »
I saw Linus' video on the RGB K70 as I was curious. But after watching that the keyboard software is complicated and it's not even fully accessible, I lost interest. My Ducky Shine 3 is known for its backlighting features along with a solid build and I don't regret it at all. The keyboard only uses one color of light for all the keys (not including the 2 RGB LED's on both sides of the spacebar) but there are many choices. Oh and the new "Corsair Gaming" logo is a bit of a turnoff imo. Seems like one of those cheap "gaming keyboards" that you can find on Amazon for less than $50. You are definitely going to enjoy your time here, as there are many entertaining and informative posts in these boards.

I'm not sure if you saw the announcement but Corsair abandoned the new logo and is sticking with their old ship sails logo.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 03:07:16 »
I actually don't mind the gaming logo. As for the software, it's something I'm willing to take the time to learn, but I'm honestly pretty happy with plain presets. I'd just like to have different color schemes across my peripherals. And that volume rocker xD Kinda wish the Ducky Shine 4 would release already, though.

I'm not sure if you saw the announcement but Corsair abandoned the new logo and is sticking with their old ship sails logo.
They actually haven't given the logo the axe. They've simply announced that they'll still produce the Vengeance K70 and K70 RGB with Cherry MX Red switches using the original logo. Not really a response, in my opinion. Read it here.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 05:44:13 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I didn't know Max did an 8 switch tester!  Do be aware, though, that the tester will give you a vague idea what each switch feels like, but it really doesn't compare to typing on a whole board of the same switch.  If you can find a local retailer who will let you try a couple of different keyboards, is much better.

Whichever keyboard you get, if you find it makes too much noise there are a few things you can do to quieten it down a bit.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 07:04:08 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I didn't know Max did an 8 switch tester!  Do be aware, though, that the tester will give you a vague idea what each switch feels like, but it really doesn't compare to typing on a whole board of the same switch.  If you can find a local retailer who will let you try a couple of different keyboards, is much better.

Whichever keyboard you get, if you find it makes too much noise there are a few things you can do to quieten it down a bit.

The sampler helped me determine which switches I'm not so interested in getting in my first mechanical keyboard, which was nice. However, down to my three preferred switches, it hasn't helped much. Unfortunately, I don't know any local places that could let me demo a mechanical keyboard.

I've been getting advice from another thread I started and I like the idea of customizing to reduce sound and increase comfort. I don't want to sacrifice tactility and satisfactory audible feedback just to mute blues, though. I guess I need some more input.

Offline sunshine

• my site
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 01:29:35 »
 :D
Hi mate,I am new here too.Wish to learn and make friend.What is more,as the keyboar is very common use in the work and life,I wish to buy and search good quailty one for myself
cool~

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 01:30:59 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

The sampler helped me determine which switches I'm not so interested in getting in my first mechanical keyboard, which was nice. However, down to my three preferred switches, it hasn't helped much. Unfortunately, I don't know any local places that could let me demo a mechanical keyboard.

I've been getting advice from another thread I started and I like the idea of customizing to reduce sound and increase comfort. I don't want to sacrifice tactility and satisfactory audible feedback just to mute blues, though. I guess I need some more input.

You're not going to be able to mute blues much - they will still have the high-pitched tic-tick-tick sound, which is due to the internal mechanism of the switch.

Personally I quite like it :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ