Author Topic: PBT caps really worth it?  (Read 14053 times)

Offline ADFX_Pixy

PBT caps really worth it?
« on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 05:48:42 »
Hello Geekhack community! I have a quick question about PBT keycaps. Are they worth paying the extra bucks especially if your keyboard came with ABS keycaps when you bought them? I'm just wondering because I heard that they retain their texture and don't polish like the ABS keycaps. I'm in no rush in buying keycaps since I received my Ducky Shine 3 yesterday but the long term durability of the keys concern me (not them actually breaking but the keys polishing out). For those who switched from ABS to PBT caps, what made you switch? And can anybody recommend a nice, reputable shop where I can purchase PBT caps for future reference?
CM Storm Quickfire Stealth Cherry MX Brown
Mechanicalkeyboards.com MK 2016 Cherry MX Brown

Offline isaske

• Stop whining!
Re: PBT caps really worth it?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 06:02:58 »
Depends on your personal preference and on the type of switch you have. In short though: Yes, they are worth buying.
HOW DO I COMPUTER?

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 06:04:50 »
I prefer ABS feel over PBT but yea the original PBT texture last way longer than the ABS one which tends to get shiny pretty quickly in my experience. Nowdays I don't mind the material of the cap as much as I mind the method used for making the symbols and the profile of the cap itself, I prefer 'Cherry' profile over any other out there at the moment.

If you want to try Cherry profile PBT you can find them here: http://imsto.cn/index.php?route=product/category&path=62
also fairly often there is a group buy happening for such keys. Be warned they tend to get on the expensive side so prepare your wallet.  :thumb:
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 06:07:19 »
Cherry PBT dyesubs>GMK/Cherry ABS doubleshots>errythang.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 06:16:26 »

Agreed. Though I gotta say,  when GMK caps get worn down they're really comfortable to type on.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 07:00:08 »
I could wax poetic for hours about how much I like PBT. The texture on them is absolutely divine to type on; they have a very pleasing, dry and ceramic-like texture. Since trying my first PBT set I've since ordered 3 more I liked them so much. I hate that slick, greasy feeling that ABS keys develop so for me, PBT is a real treat to type on.

To give a comparison of the durability of the texture on PBT, I had used the stock ABS keys on my Filco for ~3 months and they were already starting to noticeably shine, whereas I've been using a cheap PBT set for the last 10 months and they still feel 90% as textured as they did when brand new. I cant speak to how they compare to GMK ABS since I've never owned or used any GMK keys (yet).

If you want a cheap way to try out PBT, BangGood has blank 87 key and top print 104 key sets for $18 and $24 with free shipping. They are medium-thickness, OEM profile keys and the texture on them is wonderful. Be aware though, ordering from BG is very slow since its coming out of China. It took just shy of 4 weeks for my order to come in.

http://www.banggood.com/buy/PBT.html

One of our sponsors, MechanicalKeyboards, also carries numerous PBT sets including some from Ducky. Though the sets they carry are more expensive than the BG sets ($40+), you get a ton more color options and many of them are thick PBT. They even carry some of the new double-shot, backlit-compatible, PBT key sets.

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=40

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline justspeechless

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 10:58:14 »

If you want a cheap way to try out PBT, BangGood has blank 87 key and top print 104 key sets for $18 and $24 with free shipping. They are medium-thickness, OEM profile keys and the texture on them is wonderful. Be aware though, ordering from BG is very slow since its coming out of China. It took just shy of 4 weeks for my order to come in.

http://www.banggood.com/buy/PBT.html

There is a US warehouse for the 87 key set.  Ships at regular rate - 3 to 6 business days, instead of coming from China.

[CM QFR]

Offline RED-404

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 11:13:11 »
Checkout the Leopold thick PBT sets. I love my navy blanks.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59780.0

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 11:20:02 »
some people don't like them, but I think they're majority favored over ABS.

Personally, I'd rather have GMK.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 11:25:12 »
Depends....  There are many here that think a keycap is a good value at $50.

At a reasonable price thick pbt is a nice addition for deepening the sound and lasts longer than abs for sheen.
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 11:26:36 »
YES ABSOLUTELY.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 11:37:52 »
I would highly recommend the Leopold PBT sets on eBay for ~$40 from username widebasket.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 14:08:41 »
PBT is brittle and usually feels "dry", some people dislike that. POM FTW!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 14:26:51 »
I would highly recommend the Leopold PBT sets on eBay for ~$40 from username widebasket.

These are excellent caps for the price.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 14:44:50 »
I quite like my DS cherry sets that have a nice shine to them. I've tried some non cherry PBT and wasn't super impressed. I'd still like to try some BSP ones but finding a source seems to be quite hard with sherry in the wind.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 14:48:51 »
This is just my personal opinion, but I never felt that the difference in feel was really significant (compared to for example, a difference in profile).

I like them because they develop less shine, and on light/white colors they have no discoloration if you leave them in the sun. When it comes to how they feel, there is a difference but I like both. Might actually prefer ABS a little because it does not feel as hard and they tend to have a slicker surface that feels nicer on the fingers (due to the prod. process not the material). But all the keyboards I currently own have PBT because that is what they came with.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 September 2014, 14:54:32 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 15:00:03 »
For me, PBT is much better than ABS. It is more durable, but the main thing for me is the feel. PBT always feels dry, even after prolonged and intensive use. ABS feels clammy, even after brief use. In addition, depending upon the manufacturer, PBT can have a nice pumice-like texture, but I also like the ones that are relatively smooth.

In addition, unless I am using blanks, I like dye-sublimated legends on PBT.

My vintage IBM keyboards all have dye-sub PBT keycaps, as do my new Topre-switch keyboards, the RF 87u and HHKB Pro 2.

I just bought a Kul ES-87, which came with thin ABS keycaps. The first thing I did was replace them with dye-sub thick PBT keycaps; the board now looks, sounds, and feels much better.

Having said all this, I also have some beautiful double-shot ABS keycap sets (Dolch, Olivetti, vintage Cherry, and Wyse); I like these for their looks and durability of the legends, but I much prefer the feel of PBT.

« Last Edit: Mon, 29 September 2014, 07:26:41 by Hypersphere »

Offline AverageHybrid

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 06:22:47 »
Recently bought the Ducky Blank Yellow PBT keycaps to go along with my Filco Majestouch Ninja with the stealthy look (well yellow isn't really that stealth). My first impressions is they feel so so so so much better than the ABS keycaps. Persoanlly I prefer the feel of the feel of ABS keycaps with UV coating, but they seem to wear out too fast for me and shine and get all sticky after prolonged usage while my PBT keycaps do not. Another thing to note is that most of the PBT keycaps are thick keycaps and they make a different sound when bottoming out, like a rounder and deeper sound which I like very much. So it's all up to preference, some good quality ABS doubleshot keycaps aren't as bad as people say that are and it's all up to durability.

Offline ADFX_Pixy

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 21:55:21 »
Thanks for the feedback. Are there any PBT caps that are backlight compatible? I don't see any sets that would work w/ my backlight.
CM Storm Quickfire Stealth Cherry MX Brown
Mechanicalkeyboards.com MK 2016 Cherry MX Brown

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 22:08:03 »
Thanks for the feedback. Are there any PBT caps that are backlight compatible? I don't see any sets that would work w/ my backlight.

The double-shot PBT+POM keys from Vortex are backlight compatible

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=40

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline cruzin

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 22:19:17 »
I recently bought some Vortex PBT caps and very much prefer them over the ABS caps that came with my board. The ABS caps were crap though so I'm not sure how much better PBT is vs a nice ABS set.
Current: Ergodox (Ergo-clears) | Kinesis Advantage (Browns) -- Colemak
Future: HHKB Pro 2 | Maltron L90 | µtron | Axios

Offline AverageHybrid

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 06:29:13 »
I'm also having the same problem deciding between ABS and PBT. The PBT keycaps in my place costs exactly twice as the doubleshot ABS ones. The thing is that I can get my PBT keycaps blank and I generally prefer PBT while the difference text colours and keycap colours seems nice too so yea..

Offline skuko

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 07:48:39 »
imsto thick PBT sets > all.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 07:53:49 »
As a lover of Alps and IBM boards, I'm forced to have PBT keycaps. The older keyboards mainly have PBT keycaps. I do have a set of extremely worn Model M caps on my SSK which show huge signs of usage. The tops are practically worn smooth and I love that feeling so I keep those caps in usage. I will say that the caps from a Wang 725 keyboard are nice though. I think they're on par with BSP PBT smoothness.

However, I find that most PBT caps aren't smooth and I really like the smooth feeling of Cherry doubleshot ABS caps. They are my favorite caps.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 08:31:02 »
I really enjoy thick PBT, it gives each keystroke a "heavier" feel that I like. I still prefer double shot ABS, and nothing really compares to OG cherry DS.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 08:34:08 »
imsto thick PBT sets > all.

cherry dyesubs > imsto dyesubs
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 09:12:15 »
Some people like leather seats in their car, some people like cloth seats.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 09:25:39 »
It is all personal preference.

I prefer PBT key caps because they feel as if they have more body and consistence under my fingers, are very slow to polish (shine from wear) and because I distaste the slippery/greasy feel of ABS. For those reasons, PBT is worth it to me.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 September 2014, 09:44:46 by _PixelNinja »

Offline cookie

• Deskthority
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 09:30:46 »

i'd put Cherry PBT dyesubs on par with Topre! They are by far the best caps I've ever typed on.
Don't know why people prefere ABS over PBT, makes no sense to me. Could someone enlighten me?

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 09:36:06 »

i'd put Cherry PBT dyesubs on par with Topre! They are by far the best caps I've ever typed on.
Don't know why people prefere ABS over PBT, makes no sense to me. Could someone enlighten me?

IMO, Topre dyesubs = **** tier compared to Cherry. I don't like rough texture at all... Cherry ones are smooth and dry.

The only ABS keycaps I like are Cherry and GMK - they feel like Cherry dyesubs, just a tad rougher.

Offline cookie

• Deskthority
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 09:47:58 »
Such a hard judgement based only on the structure :/
I like the rough texture more than the smooth one on cherrys, but the most important factor is the durability!
I still say they are on par! Both are top-notch!

Shiny caps is what I absolutely dislike, no matter how awesome the ABS caps looks, I wouldn't spend a dime on them.

Edit: To answer the OPs question, yes they worth every cent!

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 10:23:05 »
Massdrop has a deal. I just bought the black set. Unfortunately, they're out of white, but I like the look of these better than the transluscent ones on mechanicalkeyboards.com.
KBParadise V60 with Cherry MX Browns | Corsair K60 with Cherry MX Reds

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 15:07:48 »
I have PBT and ABS on hand, so I can switch at will.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline deci

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 15:27:11 »
The textured feel of blank HHKB caps is addictive.

But some switches like blues just seem to feel better with thinner plastic.

Offline ConscienceDrop

• a-are these pbt?
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 19:56:54 »
Checkout the Leopold thick PBT sets. I love my navy blanks.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59780.0

wow, i saw these and had to pick up a navy side printed set.

thank you for the link, every time i see you post its something amazing/helpful . . . stay based! :thumb: :cool:

Offline medvednic

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 01:42:10 »
I just got a set of vortex PBT caps, I can say that the feeling of the texture feels better than the current stock ABS set that I have on my CM storm QFR.
I got them for 33$ on MassDrop and I can say that it worth the money.

IBM Model M | CM Strom QFR Stealth MX Brown

Offline AverageHybrid

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 07:39:00 »
Got my PBT keycaps RMAed for new ones and they sure feel awesome. I have the stock Filco Majestouch Ninja side printed thin ABS on hand and I personally prefer the feels of the thick PBT keycaps. To be honest if both materials had the same durability and I was to only judge them based on their texture and sound they make when you type I wouln't mind going with either as for me personally I feel that the difference is subtle and I can deal with either. I bought the PBT keycaps as I need something other than my black Majestouch Ninja keycaps to go around. They are definitely worth for the quality and the durability.

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 14:49:47 »
My grey PBT bortex keycaps from massdrop just came in and I put them on my board for a trial run today.

Unfortunately they don't have a 1.75x Rshift so I probably won't be using them for long until I get another board to use them on.

It feels really good though. It looks like carbon and it feels like carbon too lol but it's actually plastic. It's really great!

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 22:04:02 »
At the moment I prefer some ABS over PBT and some PBT over ABS, they both have their pros and cons.

I feel like just like ABS keycaps, PBT keycaps are also not made equal.

For example, most PBT feels really harsh.  Only the Poker 2 PBT somehow feels really nice and comfortable to use.

So yeah I think PBT are worth it but you might have to try a few until you find the right one for you.

For me, Poker 2 PBT is the best.  (Trying to get myself a full size set, too bad Vortex messed up the Massdrop order and made Cherry profile instead of OEM)

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline dante

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 22:13:25 »
PBT is brittle and usually feels "dry", some people dislike that. POM FTW!

JOIN THE POM MASTERRACE

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 08:50:17 »
I've been wanting to try POM, but couldn't find a full set anywhere that's not rainbow.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 09:34:28 »
Any black Cherry G80/G81-*L* or rebrand (such as Das II). You don't have these things in 'murrica?

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 09:23:09 »
To me, the stock dye-sub PBT caps on my RF 87u, HHKB Pro 2, and IBM Model F and Model M boards are sublime. These tend to be rather smooth in texture and they maintain a dry feel. All these stock caps are quite thin. PBT doesn't have to be thick to be good. In fact, the thin caps seem to be part of the design of the Topre and IBM keyboards. It is as if the caps were tuned to their keyboards.

Finding the right "tuning" can be difficult with Cherry mx, and third-party keycap sets for these keyboards can vary quite a lot in texture, from those as smooth as ABS doubleshots to as rough as the pumice-like set that I got from Keycool.

Recently, I received my Granite set, which has to be one of the handsomest sets in existence. It has an intermediate texture, a bit on the rough side, but I like it. However, I am having trouble typing on the Granite set because I am not accustomed to a flat profile or spherical tops on the keys.

One of the best values in PBT keycaps are the Leopold sets from a Korean vendor on eBay. The caps are very well made and fit snugly but not too tightly on the stems. There is no detectable warp, even on the spacebar. The texture is on the smooth side, but with the agreeable PBT dryness. The printed sets are lasered rather than dye-sub, as you would expect given the relatively low price. Unfortunately, I found that I cannot use these caps right out of the box on my WASD keyboard because the stabilizer wires rub on the inside front edge of the stabilized keycaps. The caps could be made to work by shaving/sanding, but I decided against doing this. Instead, I put a mix of two sets on my Novatouch -- dark navy blanks for the spacebar and mods; white front-printed for the alphanumeric keys and arrow keys. It looks great, and these PBT caps seem to be an excellent weight for the Novatouch, which I am typing on now.

All this is in answer to the OP's question, "[Are] PBT caps really worth it?" For me, definitely yes. Although I have some ABS doubleshots that look great, I very much prefer the feel of PBT. On the other hand, I like a high profile such as OEM, and while high-profile PBT sets exist, they are harder to find than lower profiles such as Cherry profile.

Offline LinkPro

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 02:06:10 »
I love the PBT on my 87u. Have been looking around for a PBT set for my cherry boards also. ABS gets shiny quickly.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 03:10:24 »
I'd like to try PBT too! I think I'm gonna wait for my Novatouch (that I haven't ordered yet ...) and I'll most likely jump on Ivan's GB for the white/beige Vortex PBT set. Vortex PBT set are thick right?

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 19:31:30 »
I'd like to try PBT too! I think I'm gonna wait for my Novatouch (that I haven't ordered yet ...) and I'll most likely jump on Ivan's GB for the white/beige Vortex PBT set. Vortex PBT set are thick right?

oui, très épais

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 03:21:14 »

oui, très épais

Good thank you.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 04:51:26 »
PBT or ABS doesn't necessarily mean its bad/good.  Many different kinds og pbt/abs.  I've tried BSP (which is what people call cherry dyesub right) and it's pretty good.  It has a kind of extra smooth feeling.  I'd describe it as something which has really sweet taste, almost too sweet.  On the downside it doesn't have the same grip as GMK.  Therefore gmk has more utility imo.  Also GMK has scoops and not dots or nibs, and I like scoops more.  I like the grip which GMK has over the slipperyness of cherry dyesub, so it's better for typing and especially for gaming imo.  The first ptbt caps I tried were the caps which came with a Keycool.  They had a really rought texture which I really liked.  Do any any premium caps, abs or pbt have a similar texture?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 10:00:17 »
Going to wait til I get my Orion set from pimpmykeyboard, if I don't love that with burning passion Im going to forever give up the idea of ABS caps.
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline ficklampa

• My photography portfolio
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 04:42:06 »
I do really like the Ducky PBT caps I put on my Filco board. They last longer and the typing experiance is imo better than with they thin, stock caps that came with the board.
Filco TKL (mx browns) + Ducky PBT caps
Poker II (mx blues)
Keycool 22 key numpad (blue Kailh)