Author Topic: Hi GeekHack!  (Read 1546 times)

Offline hpdeskjet600C

Hi GeekHack!
« on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 02:02:32 »
My name's Darrell and I just recently bought my first mechanical keyboard a couple of weeks ago and can't believe that I have not switched from rubber domes any sooner. I now understand the hype.

So far I'm loving my Ducky Shine 3 TKL, but can't wait for the day I replace the ABS keycaps for PBT keyscaps. It just feels and looks kind of cheap and I can tell it'll shine up real quickly.

Right now, I can't really afford a PBT keycap set, but when I am able to buy some, I'm considering the Signature Plastics DSA PBT keycaps or the Ducky PBT laser-engraved keycaps. I would appreciate some advice on these; which would you guys prefer and why?

Thanks and glad to be a part of this community now!
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 September 2014, 02:05:24 by hpdeskjet600C »

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
Re: Hi GeekHack!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 05:37:35 »
Welcome to GeekHack! :thumb:

When I had my Shine 2 I never had problems with shiny keycap since they were already kinda smooth / shiny to begin with haha :))  I stuck with them and ended up getting an additional gray set and a white set to mix things up and do a two-tone scheme.

I have a set of PBT engraved keycaps but don't use them often enough to appreciate that they do not shine as quick as ABS.

As for DSA...I haven't tried them yet.  Maybe someone else can weigh in on that.

Offline hpdeskjet600C

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 16:34:06 »
You're right! Now that I look at it, it is already shiny as it is. Can't imagine what it'll look like after a few years of use with my oily rat claws

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 05:53:08 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

As infiniti said, Ducky Shine keycaps are a but shiny to begin with :))  They will shine up a bit more, especially the space bar, but not so it is blindingly obvious.

DSA is a different profile - all the keys are the same height.  This is fine if you are using to using, say, a notebook keyboard, but a lot of people just can't get used to the DSA profile.

Also most PBT keycaps are thicker than ABS, and will block out a lot of the light from the LEDs.  This is something else to bear in mind.

However Vortex have recently (?) released some backlight-friendly PBT keycaps with POM legends.  I haven't read any reviews of them yet, but they definitely have potential to solve two problems at once.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61149.0
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline hpdeskjet600C

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 14:45:19 »
Also most PBT keycaps are thicker than ABS, and will block out a lot of the light from the LEDs.  This is something else to bear in mind.

However Vortex have recently (?) released some backlight-friendly PBT keycaps with POM legends.  I haven't read any reviews of them yet, but they definitely have potential to solve two problems at once.

:D Thanks Rowdy! I was aware of PBT keycaps blocking out the LED lights and I was willing to sacrifice for the PBT texture, but now that you bring up the Vortex keyset, I think I'm very interested.

Just found them on Massdrop (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/vortex-backlit-doubleshot-pbt-keycaps) and I think I might bite at around $30 for the blacks instead of the $50 I'd be spending on the Signature Plastics or the $66 Ducky PBT's.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 September 2014, 16:46:00 by hpdeskjet600C »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 01:28:22 »

:D Thanks Rowdy! I was aware of PBT keycaps blocking out the LED lights and I was willing to sacrifice for the PBT texture, but now that you bring up the Vortex keyset, I think I'm very interested.

Just found them on Massdrop (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/vortex-backlit-doubleshot-pbt-keycaps) and I think I might bite at around $30 for the blacks instead of the $50 I'd be spending on the Signature Plastics or the $66 Ducky PBT's.

That Massdrop is already finished - I hope you were quick!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline hpdeskjet600C

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 20:50:32 »
That Massdrop is already finished - I hope you were quick!

Yup, I was able to join! Thanks to you, I was able to find out about it a couple of days before it's deadline.  :thumb: