Author Topic: Wireless vs Wired Gamepads  (Read 3907 times)

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
Wireless vs Wired Gamepads
« on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 06:29:51 »
I've been playing on an XBox 360 wired gamepad on my PC and it's been a blast since I'm coming from Playstation's Dualshock gamepads. Since the XBox One came out, I've been interested in their new gamepad. I've tried it out and it feels great to play on, but it only comes wireless.

I play online fighting games and delay from button-press to action in-game is crucial. I'd love to play standing and pacing around my room without worrying about the gamepad accidentally unplugging, but this factor has kept me from taking the plunge. Does anyone know if going from wired to wireless would greatly affect that response time?
KBParadise V60 with Cherry MX Browns | Corsair K60 with Cherry MX Reds

Offline ADFX_Pixy

Re: Wireless vs Wired Gamepads
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 20:44:17 »
The issue of the Xbox One Controller not having a dedicated wired version has been widely discussed, especially on the MLG circuit where wired controllers are required. For a wired option, the agreed consensus is to use the play and charge kit (or a USB cable with a similar tip for the controller) and have that power the controller. From what I heard there have been no accidental unplugging incidents in the MLG CoD circuit (except when the player gets super hyped and jumps out of his seat when they have a big play, which us casual players normally don't do). Unless you're violently yanking and twisting you're controller as you play you're fighting games I wouldn't be too worried. You could also mod the connector to be always attached to the controller but I'm not a fan of tampering with hardware like that.
CM Storm Quickfire Stealth Cherry MX Brown
Mechanicalkeyboards.com MK 2016 Cherry MX Brown

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 20:51:25 »
I would love to have a wireless game pad that could charge wirelessly via something like a Qi charger.
That would just make it so much more convenient and it would save me the hassle of having a controller die on me mid-game
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline ADFX_Pixy

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 00:16:35 »
I would love to have a wireless game pad that could charge wirelessly via something like a Qi charger.
That would just make it so much more convenient and it would save me the hassle of having a controller die on me mid-game

I don't see the purpose of wireless controllers, especially if you're close to the source such as a PC (unless your PC is connected to a TV). Wireless signals are just laggy and less reliable than wired connections.

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 07:15:51 »
Is there a huge difference in gameplay? Like would the delay be very noticeable?

Offline ADFX_Pixy

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 13:20:02 »

Is there a huge difference in gameplay? Like would the delay be very noticeable?

If it's good quality then I wouldn't worry about it that much.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 13:46:06 »

I don't see the purpose of wireless controllers, especially if you're close to the source such as a PC (unless your PC is connected to a TV). Wireless signals are just laggy and less reliable than wired connections.

Wireless controllers are good for the fact that you can sit back and relax while not having a cord in the way.  I tend to move around a lot (even when in a chair) so it would make sense for me to go wireless
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 15:23:14 »
Wireless controllers are good for the fact that you can sit back and relax while not having a cord in the way.  I tend to move around a lot (even when in a chair) so it would make sense for me to go wireless

This.

Offline Zekromtor

• My Setup
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 16:49:47 »
It's a compromise. You won't ever see a pro gamer using a wireless input device.
You shouldn't have to ever get up anyways, your wife should be bringing you food, beverage, and bedpan during long gaming sessions.

Offline HardCelery

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 17:19:55 »
It's a compromise. You won't ever see a pro gamer using a wireless input device.
You shouldn't have to ever get up anyways, your wife should be bringing you food, beverage, and bedpan during long gaming sessions.
There's no lag, at least none that would affect performance, Pros use wired for a few reasons, having to sync controllers with multiple systems, and battery's. Wired is just more reliable, when a unsync or dead battery would equal a loss.     

Offline HardCelery

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 17:21:22 »
I've been playing on an XBox 360 wired gamepad on my PC and it's been a blast since I'm coming from Playstation's Dualshock gamepads. Since the XBox One came out, I've been interested in their new gamepad. I've tried it out and it feels great to play on, but it only comes wireless.

I play online fighting games and delay from button-press to action in-game is crucial. I'd love to play standing and pacing around my room without worrying about the gamepad accidentally unplugging, but this factor has kept me from taking the plunge. Does anyone know if going from wired to wireless would greatly affect that response time?
If you mostly play fighting games why not just go for an Arcade pad?
Also what makes the one controller better, I haven't had a chance to use one.

Offline Zekromtor

• My Setup
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 19:04:05 »
My understanding is that wireless controllers add 4-8ms of latency whereas the with wired controllers you're ~1ms.
You can argue until you're blue in the face that this amount of latency is indiscernible to the user, which I would agree that it is. However, if you think that in fighting games and FPSs that the determination of "who hit who first" never comes down to <7ms then you would simply be wrong. And that's before you get into the realm of hiccups caused by interference. Wireless is a compromise plain and simple.

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 03:39:54 »
My understanding is that wireless controllers add 4-8ms of latency whereas the with wired controllers you're ~1ms.
You can argue until you're blue in the face that this amount of latency is indiscernible to the user, which I would agree that it is. However, if you think that in fighting games and FPSs that the determination of "who hit who first" never comes down to <7ms then you would simply be wrong. And that's before you get into the realm of hiccups caused by interference. Wireless is a compromise plain and simple.

When twitch skill comes in to play, every ms counts. I guess I'll stick with wired for competitive gameplay and use wireless for my soloing.

Offline Shiftshape

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 04:21:35 »
So you play fighting games on the 360 pad? Hows that working out for you?  :p

Jokes aside, I personally notice the difference (in FGs). Could be placebo though, as the only time it is actually measurable is when the batteries are on the verge of dying. Anyways, just get a stick or a DS4 pad (IMHO). Only real improvement on xBONE over 360 controller is the dpad.

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 05:59:16 »

Jokes aside, I personally notice the difference (in FGs). Could be placebo though, as the only time it is actually measurable is when the batteries are on the verge of dying. Anyways, just get a stick or a DS4 pad (IMHO). Only real improvement on xBONE over 360 controller is the dpad.

Nah, I play fighting games on my keyboard, but I want a decent gaming pad to try to play fighting games on. I really like the feel of the XBox One controller. They not only improved the D-Pad, but the triggers as well. The analog sticks on a Dualshock or Logitech aren't as nice to use in my opinion.

I thought about getting the Razer Sabertooth, but it's so expensive.

Offline ADFX_Pixy

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 22:48:58 »

Nah, I play fighting games on my keyboard, but I want a decent gaming pad to try to play fighting games on. I really like the feel of the XBox One controller. They not only improved the D-Pad, but the triggers as well. The analog sticks on a Dualshock or Logitech aren't as nice to use in my opinion.

I thought about getting the Razer Sabertooth, but it's so expensive.

There have been a lot of users that have the Sabertooth on Amazon that complain about the Sabertooth's durability. But from the what I hear about Razer products in general, it's not surprising.

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 05:53:46 »
There have been a lot of users that have the Sabertooth on Amazon that complain about the Sabertooth's durability. But from the what I hear about Razer products in general, it's not surprising.

That's why I got the 360 =p

Just can't get over the D-Pad, though, and I really like the XBox quality. I feel like using an imitation from either Razer or Logitech wouldn't feel as good.

Offline Shiftshape

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 04:28:05 »

True, forgot about the triggers. Have a really hard time playing 6-button fighters on a conventional pad personally though. You could always mod the dpad on the 360 controller.  :)