Author Topic: Classic Mechanical Keyboards As Analogies to Mythical Gods, Ideas Wanted! :-)  (Read 3693 times)

Offline ezrahilyer

I am looking for analogies to gods and goddesses (greek, roman, norse, whatever) for classic desirable mechanical keyboards. Weird right? Anyway, I have these so far:

IBM Model M = Zeus, king of the gods. This one seems to make great sense to me because the Model M is essentially the standard, it is the one that all keyboards are measured against, and is often called the king of keyboards... With me so far?

Alright next is the Model M 122 key terminal keyboard, I think this one ought to be Chronos because it is big old mean keyboard. Seems more curmudgeonly than the regular model M.

Model F = maybe Gaia because it is sorta the mother of all keyboards, it seems to have birthed the whole movement.

Thats all I have so far, I know there are lots more keyboards and other analogies to be made, I want your suggestions. I will update this post to reflect what we come up with.

Please reply with the keyboard you would nominate to godhead, and the diety you want to associate with it, and why....
Any ideas?
-Ezra

UPDATED LIST:

IBM MODEL F 122 Key Terminal Keyboard = Chronos (as suggested by fohat.digs) I can't deny his logic.

UPDATE 2
Pre-PC Mechanical keyboards Xerox, IBM, Ect are Titans (they certainly are larger and heavier than the later versions)

then post PC Mechanical: Buckling Spring M, Alps, ect, would be gods (descended from the titans)

Modern Mechanical Keyboards like HHKB, DAS Keyboard, ect would be the demigods,

and last of all would be mushy modern keyboards (non mechanical) these would be ordinary mortals.....

« Last Edit: Sun, 28 September 2014, 21:33:29 by ezrahilyer »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Classic Mechanical Keyboards As Analogies to Mythical Gods, Ideas Wanted! :-)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 20:10:44 »

Alright next is the Model M 122 key terminal keyboard, I think this one ought to be Chronos because it is big old mean keyboard. Seems more curmudgeonly than the regular model M.

Blasphemy!

Cronos is the Model F 122-key terminal board. Any Model M is a whining **** compared to the Model F.

Model Ms may be gods, but Model Fs are Titans.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ezrahilyer

Re: Classic Mechanical Keyboards As Analogies to Mythical Gods, Ideas Wanted! :-)
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 20:21:08 »

Blasphemy!

Cronos is the Model F 122-key terminal board. Any Model M is a whining **** compared to the Model F.

Model Ms may be gods, but Model Fs are Titans.

Alright then, that makes sense, so Chronos is the Model F 122 Key Terminal Keyboard, done and done.
What does that make the lowly M122? Aether or Chaos? (since they are descended from Chronos)

Any other suggestions? what about apple keyboards like the M0110?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 20:24:18 »
If anything, the model F is Cronus the giant.
edit: looks like it's been said. <3 you GH

Maybe Hall Effect would be Hephaestus?
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 September 2014, 20:28:49 by noisyturtle »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 20:41:50 »

What does that make the lowly M122? Aether or Chaos? (since they are descended from Chronos)

Any other suggestions? what about apple keyboards like the M0110?

The Model Fs, along with most of the other massive pre-PC keyboards, are collectively the Titans.

I nominate the IBM Selectric typewriter as Uranus.

The M-122 is clearly the brother of the standard M. And the SSK would be the wife or consort of the standard M.

I would say that all Apples are female, with the M0115 being the Big Mama.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 20:44:50 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 September 2015, 11:16:22 by esoomenona »

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 20:50:12 »
Wouldn't the mother of all keyboards that started this be a typewriter? Or at least a beamspring
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 21:02:19 »
Wouldn't the mother of all keyboards that started this be a typewriter? Or at least a beamspring

Uranus was the primal Father of the sky who mated with Gaia Mother Earth. Was she a piece of paper?

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 21:22:21 »

The Model Fs, along with most of the other massive pre-PC keyboards, are collectively the Titans.

I nominate the IBM Selectric typewriter as Uranus.

I like the idea of breaking the generations down like that.

So it would be

Pre-PC Mechanical keyboards Xerox, IBM, Ect are Titans (they certainly are larger and heavier than the later versions)

then post PC Mechanical: Buckling Spring M, Alps, ect, would be gods (descended from the titans)

Modern Mechanical Keyboards like HHKB, DAS Keyboard, ect would be the demigods,

and last of all would be mushy modern keyboards (non mechanical) these would be ordinary mortals.....

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 21:22:36 »
HHKB would be Aphrodite, the most beautiful keyboard.

You spelled Narcissus wrong.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 21:23:23 »
Beamspring???????

That's the oldest one, and without it we wouldn't have the Model F, M or.. really anything...
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 21:24:28 »

Nope, Athena, the wisest of the boards.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 22:14:05 »
The original code names of the Apple Extended Keyboard and AEKII were the Saratoga and the Nimitz, named after the aircraft carriers.

Offline Premonition

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 02:46:30 »

Despite being a content HHKB user myself, well played. ;D

Topre would be the bed of the gods, since only the finest can bang on it.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 10:18:13 »
Topre would be the bed of the gods, since only the finest can bang on it.

Topre would be Aite, the goddess of delusion.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 11:13:35 »
The original code names of the Apple Extended Keyboard and AEKII were the Saratoga and the Nimitz, named after the aircraft carriers.

I love the Saratoga in particular, and it is quite substantial, but Apple could not be described as anything but yin.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 11:44:04 »

It was named "My Little Kishsaver" but I like Adonis more :P

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 12:25:27 »
Gods are dead.

Nietzsche ~ ErgoDox

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 13:30:01 »
Gods are dead.

Nietzsche ~ ErgoDox

Is that you  tp?

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 14:06:58 »
Gods are dead.

Nietzsche ~ ErgoDox

Perhaps, but a teensy can bring a dead god back to life.

Offline Premonition

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 15:00:23 »
I hoped that we'd be able to avoid turning this into a switch vs. switch circlejerk, but here we are again.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 15:24:22 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 September 2015, 11:14:36 by esoomenona »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 15:29:11 »
I think Hall Effect or Beamspring would be Atlas.

I hoped that we'd be able to avoid turning this into a switch vs. switch circlejerk, but here we are again.

I see no circlejerk, just people having fun.

Offline ConscienceDrop

• a-are these pbt?
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 17:11:23 »
i think my filco is like Bellerophon. a mighty hero in its own right, riding the quality wings of Pegasus  (in this case mx browns) it even has a classical greek flaw the filco ping.

the filco MJ2 isn't historical enough to be in the pantheon. but it could be a notable hero.

also would Hades be the rubberdome? not necessarily evil, but not loved for his place in the world  :p

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 08:42:49 »
Um...beamspring or Selectric has to be top of the pile. 

But you guys should know about the Sholes and Glidden typewriter, if we want to go way back:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sholes_and_Glidden_typewriter
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 08:47:32 »
Korean CUSTOMS would have to be Aphrodite
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 September 2014, 11:39:12 by hwood34 »
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 11:35:51 »

Korean's would have to be Aphrodite

This thread is about keyboards, but if you like Koreans that much...   :P

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 11:36:50 »

Korean's would have to be Aphrodite

This thread is about keyboards, but if you like Koreans that much...   :P
;)
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 12:18:25 »

But you guys should know about the Sholes and Glidden typewriter, if we want to go way back:

I was referring to the IBM Selectric as the universally accepted pinnacle of evolution of the electric typewriter, and the springboard from which our modern computer "keyboard culture" leaped.

D-man is absolutely correct since the thread specifically said "Mechanical"
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 September 2014, 18:48:45 by fohat.digs »

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 15:28:19 »

I was referring to the IBM Selectric as the universally accepted pinnacle of evolution of the electric typewriter, and the springboard from which our modern computer "keyboard culture" leaped.

Daniel is absolutely correct since the thread specifically said "Mechanical"

Did you just refer to me by my real name?  Or somebody else?  I try to hide the fact that I, Daniel Craig, Mr. James Bond, have a strong interest in mechanical keyboards.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 15:31:26 »

Did you just refer to me by my real name?  Or somebody else?  I try to hide the fact that I, Daniel Craig, Mr. James Bond, have a strong interest in mechanical keyboards.

That explains your packaging skills. ;) :thumb:

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 15:33:42 »
DT-35 is Nike, the goddess of victory!
You are sure to lose if you do not have the power of the DT-35's greatness at your fingertips!
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 17:47:04 »

I'm going to assume that is a compliment.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 17:48:45 »

I'm going to assume that is a compliment.
Definitely!