Author Topic: Obsolete iPhones in Europe  (Read 1539 times)

Offline SOROBORU88

Obsolete iPhones in Europe
« on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 05:35:08 »
Hey everyone and hey especially to you from EU ;)

Is there a way to get iPhone 4 or iPhone 5 (not 5S) in Europe for the price under 300€? I mean if there is unofficial channel to get older types of iPhones but new, mint and unlocked.

Problem is, I need to buy at least two. Phones would go to my parents as a replacement for their ancient Nokias. I tried to learn them to Android with no success :(

Parents have decade old SIM cards and decade old contracts with Vodafone only for SMS and 40 min of free calls in Vodafone - thats why the phones must be unlocked.

Thank you very much.

P.S. The font in iPhones is scalable, right?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Obsolete iPhones in Europe
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 07:49:05 »
iphone 5c over here is only $200 usd,  but locked to atnt, you can purchase unlock codes for $30 each I think..

5c is the same as iphone 5, but with plastic shell instead of aluminum.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 07:59:40 »
Hello, thank you for your answer ;) First, anything imported from US to EU is punished (intended to use that word) with VAT. I even tried to ask my frined to bring me two iPhone 4 from Washington, but she said airport security confiscates iphones, if they find them in the bags :(

Therefore I'm looking for these devices in Europe...

I once saw iPhone 5s imported (grey market) from Asia. It was genuine iP, but language was in tea powder (unreadable) and didn't work with users SIM card...

Hell, even Xiamomi here (mum likes colors). Imported Xs are the same price asi brand new Samsungs :(

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 12:15:51 »
Beware! Dad had the same contract and Vodafone transferred him to something about twice as expensive (400 minutes, but he never called that much) without giving him any choice.

New phones usually have smaller SIM cards too. Not sure, if you can have yours replaced or if cutting it is a viable option.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 12:37:55 »
Beware! Dad had the same contract and Vodafone transferred him to something about twice as expensive (400 minutes, but he never called that much) without giving him any choice.

New phones usually have smaller SIM cards too. Not sure, if you can have yours replaced or if cutting it is a viable option.

I'm aware of that and father is competent enough to check his contract on internet so he knows what he and mother pay for ;) And they are trained to hung up on everyone who starts to offer them something after a second they start to talk ;)

Me too have an older contract and changing contract is matter of O2 or T-mobile, not Vodafone ;)

Good sir davkol, you by any chance don't know anything about a stash of unsold older iPs?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 12:58:56 »
Nah, I mean, they only announced they changed his contract, they didn't *ask*; just like they discarded student data plans (on April Fools Day actually, *******s).

Call me paranoid, but I boycott telcos and Apple. Sorry, no idea about any source of phones of any kind.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 13:10:38 »
Nah, I mean, they only announced they changed his contract, they didn't *ask*; just like they discarded student data plans (on April Fools Day actually, *******s).

Call me paranoid, but I boycott telcos and Apple. Sorry, no idea about any source of phones of any kind.

One is not paranoid enough. I have a bulletproof contract and I have the "luck" that there is noone I would text or call, so I pay a little bit of CZK every two months :D For almost 15 years ;) Of course, if Vodafone changed their contract massively, there would be counter measures from me and my parents.

Buying iPhones is solution to their elder phones and their inability to use anything rather complicated. And they favor small size too.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 13:18:25 »
Perhaps stick with dumbphones or S60 nokias.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 13:41:14 »
It seems like a cheapest solution so far. But I showed them all kinds of phones - android samsungs and Nexus, Lumias, android tablet and dads coleague borrowed him iPhone for an hour or so. To my deepest pleasure, they throw out tablet saying it is a useless piece of fekal matter. Android phones are too complex even for my father, who controls cameras and PC very well. Lumias were OK, but I thought I could get them older iPhone for the same price of lowend Lumia...

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 14:16:52 »
That's why I've mentioned *dumb*phones and Symbian (which is arguably stupid, but still a phone, not a dumbed-down portable computer from the user perspective).

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 05:51:39 »
It his hard to get cheap iPhone 4 and I should get min symbian phone? Sir, let mi slip a little bit of laugh in your face :D Iwouldn't ask about iPhones, if my parents specifically didn't want one ;)

I showed them various devices and only with iPhone (in this case 4) the were able to controll and consider it a good replacement.

My myself also like the idea, that I can create some kind of ecosystem with apple devices - my expensive sister wants ipad for Xmas. I like to think, that I can check my parents location with iTunes or whatever :D North Bohemia is a dangerous place.