Author Topic: Why Shouldn't I Get the Corsair K70 RGB?  (Read 32185 times)

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
Re: Why Shouldn't I Get the Corsair K70 RGB?
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 03:20:53 »
And yeah, it's straight-up marketing, but this keyboard is actually capable of improving gameplay while looking good.
[citation needed] or empirical data.

Regardless of the quality of the keycaps, it's still a mechanical keyboard. Mechanical keyboards have already proven themselves to improve gameplay and last several times longer than rubber domes.

Macros make the life of any gamer easier, let alone full-macro capability.

10-key+ rollover via USB works extremely well for several gaming genres and removes the need for PS/2 adapters, and this one's N-Key rollover capable.

LED-backlighting has also proven itself as a game-improving feature in dim lighting for the average gamer. Hell, even LED-zones and gaming presets are preferred by hardcore gamers, and RGB isn't nearly as limited as single or hybrid LED-backlit boards.

The Corsair K70 RGB tries to take the best aspects of gaming keyboards and put it into one. Right now it's a prototype. It definitely needs some work. But the features speak for themselves.

ô_Ô
He's right, the backlit improves the gaming skill very much, each time I turn my LED on, the light immediately blinds the enemy and I can kill them easily,that's just normal LED, imagine if it were RGB LED, I can even catch a unicorn with only one try in Pokemon.

****... tru dat!
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 03:21:59 »
And yeah, it's straight-up marketing, but this keyboard is actually capable of improving gameplay while looking good.

Regardless of the quality of the keycaps, it's still a mechanical keyboard. Mechanical keyboards have already proven themselves to improve gameplay and last several times longer than rubber domes.

10-key+ rollover via USB works extremely well for several gaming genres and removes the need for PS/2 adapters, and this one's N-Key rollover capable.

LED-backlighting has also proven itself as a game-improving feature in dim lighting for the average gamer. Hell, even LED-zones and gaming presets are preferred by hardcore gamers, and RGB isn't nearly as limited as single or hybrid LED-backlit boards.

The Corsair K70 RGB tries to take the best aspects of gaming keyboards and put it into one. Right now it's a prototype. It definitely needs some work. But the features speak for themselves.
OK, so no citation and no empirical evidence?

* davkol is sad panda.

I play RTS. Macros are considered unfair and usually get banned from competitive play. I have yet to see any evidence for the claim that mechanical switches are superior in performance (DT-35 anyone?).

I'd like to know, what games require 10KRO or better. Can't think of anything but multiplayer on a single keyboard. I certainly wouldn't bring an  $180 keyboard to such sausage party, because of possible beer spills.

Backlighting is a topic for itself. I can't imagine, how it might improve efficiency/performance even in the slightest for anyone but n00bs.

From what I've read about the DT-35, it was a widely-used bang-for-buck membrane keyboard when internet cafes were still popular in Korea back in the day. The SC2 hype that maintained its rep as a "gaming" keyboard was due as much to marketing as any other gaming keyboard. The DT-35 just happened to prove itself throughout the years as largely convenient.

Unfortunately, I have no such evidence to prove that a keyboard marketed towards gamers actually improves gameplay, but to me convenience sells. Convenience usually translates to saved time, and any amount of time saved in a game is helpful.

However, I do admit the excessive features that tend to be found in gaming keyboards are mostly just marketing. That's not to say that they can be handy, however.

Umm, that max cpi is interpolated.

I personally use the Corsair M45 since it's really as simple and sleek as FPS mice get without the excessive DPI settings. It just feels like any mention of Corsair on these forums gets me the immediate "n00b" stamp for having an opinion.
KBParadise V60 with Cherry MX Browns | Corsair K60 with Cherry MX Reds

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 03:24:55 »
...as someone who plays in the dark, those LED's actually do help. There aren't any physical indicators on the function row, so I like to take a quick glance at it before I activate certain skills. When you're online, every second counts.

I wish people would read what I said on the second page instead of jumping the gun. Geezus.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 03:52:06 »
... crap keycaps, lack of customization...

This combo is a killer for me. If a board has bad keycaps, no worries, just replace them. But you can't "just replace" the keycaps on the K70. You have to live with the crap keycaps it comes with, at least on the bottom row, permanently. Not worth it for some flashy RGB backlighting. Especially considering the complex and poorly written software controlling it.

For more info, read the 1,2 and 3 star reviews here: http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Mechanical-Keyboard-CH-9000063-NA/dp/B00KX8OJK6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Oh yes, don't forget the poor support from Corsair.

If you just HAVE to have RGB, I'd suggest waiting until other manufacturers release some, I believe the Corsair exclusive deal was only for a year, so other companies will probably start using the RGB Cherry switches soon enough.

If you can live without RGB, I'd much rather get a Ducky for less money. Better support, better keycaps, standard layouts (so good customisability, they even have their own brand thick PBT keycap sets), no software needed, etc.

Like you said, unpolished software. I personally don't like drivers or software for my peripherals. That's why I love the dip switch system on my Ducky. I can control the whole keyboard without downloading software from a website. Hopefully I can find a mouse that will be the same that's good for FPS...

If you're looking for ones with a DPI switch, there are plenty on Amazon to choose from that even support multi-backlighting.

My personal recommendation. Has a lot of good features and more DPI than you'll ever need at a very low price.

I think you misunderstood. DIP switches are Dual-Inline Pin switches. On the Ducky you use them to set up the keyboard so you don't need any software to change anything, it's all done in hardware.

Just to add something to your aluminum > plastic thing. Usually I'm all about aluminum but a friend who had a K70 bought a Ducky (which has a plastic case and a metal plate in it) and he said it felt much better than the Corsair.

Of course this is subjective but I thought that would help you with your decision.
I can attest to this... Came from a K90 and this shine 3 is amazing.
Same here...came from K70 rgb to the Ducky Shine 3 and love it.

You don't miss the RGB backlights?

No don't miss it.  It was cool the first few days but it wore off plus the software was so buggy and hard to use.  The ducky feels more solid than the corsair and I'm very happy with it.

^^Listen to these people. The Corsair has an aluminium plate, the Ducky has a steel one.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 04:00:09 »
This combo is a killer for me. If a board has bad keycaps, no worries, just replace them. But you can't "just replace" the keycaps on the K70. You have to live with the crap keycaps it comes with, at least on the bottom row, permanently. Not worth it for some flashy RGB backlighting. Especially considering the complex and poorly written software controlling it.

For more info, read the 1,2 and 3 star reviews here: http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Mechanical-Keyboard-CH-9000063-NA/dp/B00KX8OJK6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Oh yes, don't forget the poor support from Corsair.

If you just HAVE to have RGB, I'd suggest waiting until other manufacturers release some, I believe the Corsair exclusive deal was only for a year, so other companies will probably start using the RGB Cherry switches soon enough.

If you can live without RGB, I'd much rather get a Ducky for less money. Better support, better keycaps, standard layouts (so good customisability, they even have their own brand thick PBT keycap sets), no software needed, etc.

Video of Keycap-Replaced K70

They're not completely uncustomizeable, which is why I was considering them.

I think you misunderstood. DIP switches are Dual-Inline Pin switches. On the Ducky you use them to set up the keyboard so you don't need any software to change anything, it's all done in hardware.

I was recommending a mouse. The term I used was DPI, not DIP lol

^^Listen to these people. The Corsair has an aluminium plate, the Ducky has a steel one.

I'm pretty much sold on the quality of other keyboards like Ducky. I've already marked the K70 off my list.

Thank you for giving constructive feedback on the topic, though. I appreciate it.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 04:17:25 »

How many and which PBT or doubleshot sets do fit?

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 04:20:02 »

I--honest to God--wish I had an answer for that. Newb with no mechanical keyboard here.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 04:34:35 »
Well, then SteelSeries 6Gv2/7G is customizable as well, because there are blank PBT sets for it at Taobao. Nothing else though. Way less customization options than in case of nearly any ordinary Costar keyboard.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 04:50:13 »

AFAIK... none.

The problem is the 6.5x spacebar. Same as the Logitech G710+. For the modifiers you can combine Tsangan and Moogle kits and add a single unit key for Fn, but that spacebar.... nope. Someone started a PMK GB for 6.5 black spacebars, but I don't think it got enough orders to tip. And then you'd still be limited to SP DCS profile if you want it to match.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 05:34:44 »
That thing (Maxkeyboard semi translucent keycaps?) is some thing next to craps, why would that count in term of "customizable" (for a better keycaps purpose) anyway?

Oh right, it let the light go through even more than the stock caps, perfect!
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 05:45:36 »
That thing (Maxkeyboard semi translucent keycaps?) is some thing next to craps, why would that count in term of "customizable" (for a better keycaps purpose) anyway?

Oh right, it let the light go through even more than the stock caps, perfect!

Thank you for putting that so gently. I didn't know the quality of the keycaps wasn't good. My bad for posting the video. I guess the K70 is still pretty much rendered uncustomizeable, then.

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 07:18:51 »

OK, so no citation and no empirical evidence?

* davkol is sad panda.

I play RTS. Macros are considered unfair and usually get banned from competitive play. I have yet to see any evidence for the claim that mechanical switches are superior in performance (DT-35 anyone?).

I'd like to know, what games require 10KRO or better. Can't think of anything but multiplayer on a single keyboard. I certainly wouldn't bring an  $180 keyboard to such sausage party, because of possible beer spills.

Backlighting is a topic for itself. I can't imagine, how it might improve efficiency/performance even in the slightest for anyone but n00bs.

From what I've read about the DT-35, it was a widely-used bang-for-buck membrane keyboard when internet cafes were still popular in Korea back in the day. The SC2 hype that maintained its rep as a "gaming" keyboard was due as much to marketing as any other gaming keyboard. The DT-35 just happened to prove itself throughout the years as largely convenient.

Unfortunately, I have no such evidence to prove that a keyboard marketed towards gamers actually improves gameplay, but to me convenience sells. Convenience usually translates to saved time, and any amount of time saved in a game is helpful.

However, I do admit the excessive features that tend to be found in gaming keyboards are mostly just marketing. That's not to say that they can be handy, however.

Umm, that max cpi is interpolated.

I personally use the Corsair M45 since it's really as simple and sleek as FPS mice get without the excessive DPI settings. It just feels like any mention of Corsair on these forums gets me the immediate "n00b" stamp for having an opinion.
I don't really follow...
LEDs don't help me. They just look nice. And they're not in your face as much... When I play planet side 2, and its night time on Hossin, I'm as blind as a bat, LEDs are in my face and its hard to focus on black.
[EDIT]
I didn't really read thanks to school WiFi
But the noob stamp isn't really true. We just don't like corsair or Razer.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 September 2014, 08:25:06 by HUNTERANGEL121 »

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 07:35:46 »
I don't really follow...
LEDs don't help me. They just look nice. And they're not in your face as much... When I play planet side 2, and its night time on Hossin, I'm as blind as a bat, LEDs are in my face and its hard to focus on black.

Have you tried dimming the luminosity?

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 08:25:41 »
I don't really follow...

Have you tried dimming the luminosity?
It's easier just to turn it off. LEDs get annoying.

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 09:01:14 »
LED is just for show off things, I turn my LED on whenever some one comes and see how cool my keyboard is and photos, when it comes to normal using, especially night time, LED is useless and make your eyes annoyed, distracted from the screen.
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 09:05:36 »
Besides the price, unpolished software, crap keycaps, lack of customization, and the tramp stamp--why shouldn't I get it?

Go.

Looks like it was designed by a blind monkey with one arm.

Come on dude, let's be honest, there are hundreds of better keyboards out there, you don't even have too look to find one of them.

gg no re.
你搞砸了

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 09:21:02 »

LED is just for show off things, I turn my LED on whenever some one comes and see how cool my keyboard is and photos, when it comes to normal using, especially night time, LED is useless and make your eyes annoyed, distracted from the screen.

Besides the price, unpolished software, crap keycaps, lack of customization, and the tramp stamp--why shouldn't I get it?

Go.

Come on dude, let's be honest, there are hundreds of better keyboards out there, you don't even have too look to find one of them.

gg no re.

Hm. I haven't really tried gaming without the backlight since I got my laptop. I'll have to try it again.

As for the design of the K70, it's really subjective. Some people hate it, some people love it. I, for one, love the way it looks. It's too bad its quality is sub-par at best.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 10:11:31 »

Go.

gg no re.

Hm. I haven't really tried gaming without the backlight since I got my laptop. I'll have to try it again.

As for the design of the K70, it's really subjective. Some people hate it, some people love it. I, for one, love the way it looks. It's too bad its quality is sub-par at best.

I usually keep a lamp on also. Being in complete darkness surrounded by two monitors isn't great for your eyes.

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 10:15:32 »

Go.

gg no re.

I usually keep a lamp on also. Being in complete darkness surrounded by two monitors isn't great for your eyes.

I only have one external monitor, but being in complete darkness happens to be my preferred gaming environment. My setup is right in front of my window, but light still seeps through the blinds. Considering getting black curtains and painting the walls black, too. Or at least a deep blue.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 11:18:58 »

Go.

gg no re.

I only have one external monitor, but being in complete darkness happens to be my preferred gaming environment. My setup is right in front of my window, but light still seeps through the blinds. Considering getting black curtains and painting the walls black, too. Or at least a deep blue.

What I meant is that total darkness and making your eyes strain isn't great for you.
All about ergonomics and how your setup is. Bright White light in your eyes vs surrounding darkness makes you strain. Even LED strips behind your desk are okay.

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 11:56:24 »
What I meant is that total darkness and making your eyes strain isn't great for you.
All about ergonomics and how your setup is. Bright White light in your eyes vs surrounding darkness makes you strain. Even LED strips behind your desk are okay.

Oh, okay. Well I'm aware of the repercussions of poor lighting. It's just a bad habit, I guess.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 12:22:31 »

Oh, okay. Well I'm aware of the repercussions of poor lighting. It's just a bad habit, I guess.
I started like that and end up leaving the light on lol. Otherwise if I don't I'll have red eyes at the end of the day.

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 13:34:29 »

I started like that and end up leaving the light on lol. Otherwise if I don't I'll have red eyes at the end of the day.

So that's why I get weird looks at work...

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 14:12:18 »

That's probably why lol.

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 14:15:17 »

That's probably why lol.

Congrats on a thousand posts.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 15:26:23 »

That's probably why lol.

Congrats on a thousand posts.
Holy ****. Didn't even realize it, thanks!
I use Tapatalk more than chrome now so I don't see it lol.

Offline Shayde

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 13:29:31 »
I like the K70RGB.  I was originally wanting it for its lighting programmability, but the software - as has been covered already - is pretty bad, and currently has no scripting support (supposedly coming).

Still, just being able to choose my backlight colour is very nice.  Having the black aluminium back plate with the keys floating above a toxic lime-green backlight is very sexy.  I like the aesthetics.  I wasn't really taken with Reds on my Shine II, but I like them on the K70RGB.  And I love having the volume knob.

As for key-cap replacement, I don't get why Corsair insist on being non-standard there, but options for replacement back-lit key-caps are pretty few and far between anyway, so doesn't really make a lot of difference.

But the software really is craptastic.  How that got past QA is something only Corsair can answer.
Collector-of-switches.  Cherry: red, brown, blue, black, grey (linear), green.  Alps: simp./comp. white, comp. blue, Matias.  NMB: white, black.  Futaba: Cherry stem.  Omron: yellow.  Topre: 45g  Various: Apple II+, TRS80 Model 1, C64, Acorn Electron, ZX81 (lol!).

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 13:44:27 »
Corsair's software has always been bad.  Just look at Link.  At one point it was an SSD killer that dragged systems to a crawl. 

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 16:30:32 »
I like the K70RGB.  I was originally wanting it for its lighting programmability, but the software - as has been covered already - is pretty bad, and currently has no scripting support (supposedly coming).

Still, just being able to choose my backlight colour is very nice.  Having the black aluminium back plate with the keys floating above a toxic lime-green backlight is very sexy.  I like the aesthetics.  I wasn't really taken with Reds on my Shine II, but I like them on the K70RGB.  And I love having the volume knob.

As for key-cap replacement, I don't get why Corsair insist on being non-standard there, but options for replacement back-lit key-caps are pretty few and far between anyway, so doesn't really make a lot of difference.

But the software really is craptastic.  How that got past QA is something only Corsair can answer.

You prefer how reds feel on your RGB over the Ducky? That's interesting.

Offline Shayde

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 21:10:54 »

Yes, I can only assume it's because the construction being more open the thunk of the cap hitting the switch is not as muffled.  To my ears, the typing sound is quite pleasant.  I didn't think I'd ever say that about Reds after the Shine II.
Collector-of-switches.  Cherry: red, brown, blue, black, grey (linear), green.  Alps: simp./comp. white, comp. blue, Matias.  NMB: white, black.  Futaba: Cherry stem.  Omron: yellow.  Topre: 45g  Various: Apple II+, TRS80 Model 1, C64, Acorn Electron, ZX81 (lol!).

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 21:54:42 »

Yes, I can only assume it's because the construction being more open the thunk of the cap hitting the switch is not as muffled.  To my ears, the typing sound is quite pleasant.  I didn't think I'd ever say that about Reds after the Shine II.

If I ever get into reds, I'll try to keep that in mind. Thanks.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 01:09:53 »

I know I'm being pedantic here (and in other places, too  :p ), but the keycap doesn't hit the switch. The slider of the switch bottoms out inside the switch casing. This is why orings only reduce the travel a small amount relative to their size and why it changes depending on the keycaps used. Cherry profile keycaps have the smallest gap at bottom-out.

Bottom-out noise and feeling is affected by many factors: PCB or plate mount, plate material, case stiffness and mass, keycap material and mass, orings and other dampening materials and placement, etc..

I like my keyswitches to be held as stiffly as possible and put the damping inside the switch itself. So steel plate mounted in an aluminium case and trampoline and latex modded switches.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 02:10:21 »

I know I'm being pedantic here (and in other places, too  :p ), but the keycap doesn't hit the switch. The slider of the switch bottoms out inside the switch casing. This is why orings only reduce the travel a small amount relative to their size and why it changes depending on the keycaps used. Cherry profile keycaps have the smallest gap at bottom-out.

Bottom-out noise and feeling is affected by many factors: PCB or plate mount, plate material, case stiffness and mass, keycap material and mass, orings and other dampening materials and placement, etc..

I like my keyswitches to be held as stiffly as possible and put the damping inside the switch itself. So steel plate mounted in an aluminium case and trampoline and latex modded switches.

By "latex-modded," do you mean the switch is made of latex or there's latex in the switch? Wondering if different materials have been used for the spring and switch themselves.

Offline Shayde

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 02:24:56 »
I know I'm being pedantic here (and in other places, too  :p ), but the keycap doesn't hit the switch. The slider of the switch bottoms out inside the switch casing.

Please, be pedantic.  :D  I didn't know that.  I had wondered where the click comes from and came to the conclusion (wrongly) that it was the cap cross-brace hitting the top of the switch.  But now I think about it that would cause the connection between cap and slider to become loose over time, not to mention it would leave a cross-shaped wear mark on the top of the switch housing.  Your explanation makes much more sense!  :))

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 07:50:02 »

By "latex-modded," do you mean the switch is made of latex or there's latex in the switch? Wondering if different materials have been used for the spring and switch themselves.

I use a small amount of liquid latex on the inside of the top switch housing (the cream coloured stuff in the picture below) to dampen the sound of the release when you lift your finger off the switch. It doesn't completely dampen it, but makes it a lot less harsh. You could use any rubber suspension product that dries fairly quickly, such as PlastiDip (the kind that comes in a tin with a lid) or mold-making latex as used for ceramics, etc.

78654-0

For trampolines you can use the small silicone balls sold by IMSTO or even pieces of orings inserted into the tube in the centre of the switch. The pin of the slider hits and compresses this piece inside the tube before the sides of the slider impact the bottom casing. It does the same job as orings, but can be adjusted for feeling and height and since it's inside the switch you don't have to worry about different keycaps, etc.

78656-1

AFAIK, noone has tried to replace the spring with some other material or use different material sliders, etc. You can buy many different replacement springs, though, with different spring rates and properties and there are a good variety of slider types. In combination you can really customise and mod MX switches to your own preferences.

Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 07:56:18 »

I use a small amount of liquid latex on the inside of the top switch housing (the cream coloured stuff in the picture below) to dampen the sound of the release when you lift your finger off the switch. It doesn't completely dampen it, but makes it a lot less harsh. You could use any rubber suspension product that dries fairly quickly, such as PlastiDip (the kind that comes in a tin with a lid) or mold-making latex as used for ceramics, etc.

(Attachment Link)

For trampolines you can use the small silicone balls sold by IMSTO or even pieces of orings inserted into the tube in the centre of the switch. The pin of the slider hits and compresses this piece inside the tube before the sides of the slider impact the bottom casing. It does the same job as orings, but can be adjusted for feeling and height and since it's inside the switch you don't have to worry about different keycaps, etc.

(Attachment Link)

AFAIK, noone has tried to replace the spring with some other material or use different material sliders, etc. You can buy many different replacement springs, though, with different spring rates and properties and there are a good variety of slider types. In combination you can really customise and mod MX switches to your own preferences.

Woah. That's awesome. I really want to get into this stuff now.

And thanks for the pics!

I guess foam wouldn't make a viable replacement for a spring, would it? xD

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 09:00:34 »
Try a rubber dome. ~_^

Offline johndavis33

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 09:10:42 »
Ducky will have an RGB keyboard soon enough.

It only comes in the lighter varieties of switches.

That would be enough for me to not consider it.
HAVE AND WILL KEEP: HHKB - Printed white | Ducky Banana edition - Whites | Model M13 | Unidentified Goodwill keyboard - Simplified black ALPS
TOO BE SOLD: TG3 BL82 - Clears | Wheelwrite 5 - Buckling Springs typewriter
SOLD: Rosewill RK9000 - Blacks | QFR - Blues | Ducky G2 Pro - Greens |
IT WILL BE MINE: Northgate Omnikey - White ALPS

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 13:10:43 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Woah. That's awesome. I really want to get into this stuff now.

And thanks for the pics!

I guess foam wouldn't make a viable replacement for a spring, would it? xD

Here's a video comparing the sound of my trampoline and latex modded Browns with stock Browns:

You can see a couple of other interesting mods in this thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58969.0

Specifically: Stickers, springs, lube and SIP sockets. The stickers don't have a big effect, they just take up the slack between bottom and top switch housings and stabilise the tracks for the slider just a tiny bit. They also look nice. The SIP sockets allow you to replace LED's by simply pulling them out and pushing new ones in. They also allow you to take the switch top off without desoldering the LED. The springs are aftermarket Korean ones and you can get them in a wide range of strengths. In the second build he's using gold plated ones (some say they're better than the plain steel ones and they don't cost much more, so why not). The lube on the spring stops the 'ping' you sometimes get on plate mounted Cherry MX boards and on the sliders it allows them to move without friction, smoothing out the action of the switch. It's best to lube switches that have been used for a while since they have then worn in a bit (I see figures of 10,000 presses or about a year of heavy use quoted for wearing in). Lubing new switches works, but will never be quite as smooth as worn in and then lubed switches.

As you can see, Cherry MX switches are quite customisable  :D  I'd say the most useful mods on new switches are trampolines, springs (depending on switch type, I really like 62g springs in Clears) and SIP sockets. Stickers are a lot of work for quite little effect (although I do install them on some boards).

I'm not sure that foam has the right kind of force profile to use in this application  ;)

Welcome to the world of mechanical keyboards... Keep a tight hold on your wallet, this hobby can make it hurt.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 13:12:18 »

You could always do a stem and / or spring swap. It's only the casings that are different between the RGB and normal switches.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline johndavis33

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 15:59:24 »

You could always do a stem and / or spring swap. It's only the casings that are different between the RGB and normal switches.

Yeah, but you'd need to desolder everything, get your hands on replacement springs and stems, resolder everything, and still you're stuck typing on a softer aluminum plate vs. a steel one.

All that, and you could have waited a few months for corsair to lose their exclusive rights on the switches and let ducky make a proper example of an rgb board
HAVE AND WILL KEEP: HHKB - Printed white | Ducky Banana edition - Whites | Model M13 | Unidentified Goodwill keyboard - Simplified black ALPS
TOO BE SOLD: TG3 BL82 - Clears | Wheelwrite 5 - Buckling Springs typewriter
SOLD: Rosewill RK9000 - Blacks | QFR - Blues | Ducky G2 Pro - Greens |
IT WILL BE MINE: Northgate Omnikey - White ALPS

Offline claydough

« Reply #91 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 20:14:11 »

Not knowing how to type and surpassing 50 years I hope manufacturers do not consider LED light simply show off things and keep kindly considering my "aging eye demographic".
Considering I like to game with 3dvision "on" for every game that supports as much I find myself running into the opposite problem others are having with LED in that I can never find an LED that is BRIGHT enuff for active shutter glasses.

I was hoping Corsair RGB might be bright enuff but the bedless design with free LED bleed might be too confusing compared to the RAZER RGB design. ( like the simpler shape of the Black Widow RGB as well )
But still waiting to see how the Kalih switches fare after a year of usage before buying myself.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 January 2015, 20:18:49 by claydough »