Author Topic: Just got my yellow blank PBT keycaps and then...  (Read 3110 times)

Offline AverageHybrid

Just got my yellow blank PBT keycaps and then...
« on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 05:52:23 »
Well just got my yellow PBT blanks which are from Ducky for my Majetouch Ninja. Looks nice huh?

Came with solid packaging and everything, feels great, fits well. But you realise that the 0 on the number pad is still the stock Filco Ninja key. You might be wondering why.. so yea

I have like an obsession with my keycaps and they cannot come in any defects. There is no point RMAing it to the retailer or Ducky as I live far away from their customer service and I don't think they have warranty for keycaps. I am currently contacting the retailer to ask if they can provide any help.
The dot looks like a dent or big scratch or even dirt in the picture. In person it looks like a dot of dirt stuck on it, I have tried scratching it off but it just didn't scratch off. Looks like it's just a moulding error and this was somehow moulded in too.. So is there any temporary or permanant fix as to how to get this off/out?
I wanted to try filing it out and then buffing it back up but I think even buffing it back up the texture will not be the same.
So any suggestions guys?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Just got my yellow blank PBT keycaps and then...
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 06:16:25 »
1. Wait for a response from the vendor.  Quite often they will ship you out a replacement keycap.

2. If it is convex (sticking out), you should be able to file or sand it down, but you do risk damaging the keycap surface.

3. If it is concave (gouged out of the surface), not really much you can do.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline AverageHybrid

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 06:26:47 »
Yeap they have just replied me asking me to bring it out to the store the day after tomorrow as they are closed tomorrow. The thing is that I tried to scratch it too hard and I can see certain scratch marks in a specific lighting and angel though not so obvious. I think I either scratched the material itself or some coating off the surface.. The dot seems to be neither concave nor convex and just seems like some dirt got into the mould.

Offline AverageHybrid

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 07:26:12 »
And also some of the longer switches with stabilizers feel stiff in the middle. I have already checked everything and even tried the old stock ABS keycaps and they are fine. I am pretty sure it is caused by the thicker PBT keycaps rubbing with the costar wires, is there any solution to this?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 15:03:30 »
And also some of the longer switches with stabilizers feel stiff in the middle. I have already checked everything and even tried the old stock ABS keycaps and they are fine. I am pretty sure it is caused by the thicker PBT keycaps rubbing with the costar wires, is there any solution to this?

First of all make sure the stabiliser inserts are the right way around.  They are not symmetrical, and the longer part should be towards the top of the keycap (point towards the function row).

Apart from that, you might have to file or sand down the inside of the keycap a bit.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ