Author Topic: Hello! Been lurking a while, introducing myself!  (Read 1000 times)

Offline DzyDzyDino

Hello! Been lurking a while, introducing myself!
« on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 10:07:57 »
Sorry for double post. I got a 503 bad gateway when I tried to post it so I hit back and post again and ended up double posting :(
Mod please take care of this?

Hiya GH.

I love keyboards. I do a lot of typing. Grew up with a Model M as my first keyboard and all through childhood I loved what was dubbed by everyone around me as "That loud crunchy keyboard" and "KACHINK KACHINK KACHINK"

Eventually moved into manual typewriters and had an obsession with those and a pretty decent collection. A whole bunch of Royals and Remingtons and SCs. The Smith-Corona Silentwriter was my daily driver and my favorite of the bunch, although I did adore a Royal 5 and a Remington No.2

So after using scissor switch keyboards in laptops and apple stuff for a while, I eventually came back around to mech boards and got reintroduced to Cherry. Started on MX Blues and loved them. Sampled the rest and eventually settled on MX Black as my favorite. Just getting into the world of custom springs, stickers, and lube right now... just starting to explore.

I type a lot. I do caption/subtitle work, I do translation (Japanese to English and Vietnamese to English), and with a useless Music Tech degree, I also do recording, engineering, and producing. I play a buncha instruments and yadda yadda.

I've done a lot of the captions for Netflix and a bunch of TV stuff, and Japanese translation you've probably seen of mine, I've translated for Mangastream for the last 6-7 years (it was binktopia before mangastream),  along with a lot of other random manga all over the internet. (I've had a few different handles I've translated under).

Having a mech board totally makes all that typing a joy and has taken a lot of the fatigue out of the process, it feels like I type faster and more accurately... but more importantly, I just enjoy the process a lot more.

Anyways, been lurking a while but now that I'm starting to seek out custom boards, springs, and lube and all that and really wanna start digging into stuff like that, I figured I should stop lurking and introduce myself.
I've been posting a lot on r/mk, but as I get deeper in, I've been gravitating over here.

anyways. nice to meet you all! ヨロシク!

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
Re: Hello! Been lurking a while, introducing myself!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 10:27:57 »
Welcome !

I can see why you looked for quality keyboard , you seem to be quite a typist . How fast do you type ?

Also where are you from ?
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 September 2014, 10:29:47 by azhdar »
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 10:39:03 »
Welcome!!  :D

Quite the interesting typing history you have there, really neat read. I hope you have some fun here, and prepare your wallet!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 01:35:09 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Wow!  That's probably one of the most serious uses of a keyboard I have heard about.

Btw have you tried MX greens?  They have the stiffness of blacks but with the clicky feedback of blues.  Probably the closest MX switch to buckling spring.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ