Author Topic: Global Population  (Read 19122 times)

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Global Population
« on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 12:26:09 »
I have a feeling this is going to become a HUGE issue in this century.

http://www.fromquarkstoquasars.com/earths-population-unmanageable/

As remarkable as medical science is, it's having an overall negative impact on our world as a whole. Darwinism is extinct within the human race, and we hold to the unrealistic values that "all life is created equal" and "every life is sacred" (so long as it's human, that is) which has inevitably lead us to this issue.

Thoughts?
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Global Population
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 12:29:10 »
#selectivebreeding

....oh wait that's isn't right.....

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 12:33:35 »
Hahahaha....

It is completely managable..

The trouble today , is simply how people view death, their own lineage( genetic importance), and the true value of the OLD..

The people with LESS will naturally inherit the resources and wealth of those with MORE..  this is a fact...

and the people with MORE, will naturally exponentially decrease in population once their livelihood is completely secure..

This cycle will continue, until Everyone's livelihood is secure..  at this point no one will be motivated to do anything.

This is then a Utopian experiment..

The result of which... We already have a good idea of what's going to happen, As it has already happened..

But.. also...

experiments with MICE on utopia..

Some will literally NOT do anything, (tp4-s) sit around and be pretty..

Some will become militant, and aggressively attack anyone with zero purpose..

Mothers will abandon children at a great rate, and some will choose not to have them..

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 12:34:20 »
Thoughts?

The minute I saw this graph (specifically the first line of data), I called bull**** and closed the article.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 12:36:18 »
Thoughts?

The minute I saw this graph (specifically the first line of data), I called bull**** and closed the article.

Show Image

I'm not sure how they got those...  counting all the dead babies i guess..

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 12:47:10 »
Does anyone really think we'll still be around in 100 years?

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 12:53:30 »
Thoughts?

Show Image

That sir, is a table, not a graph.

And yes, it's a bull**** table.

THIS, is a graph:

Source: http://bixby.berkeley.edu/research/population/

Does anyone really think we'll still be around in 100 years?

My kids might be... if I ever have kids...
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 13:05:50 »
Thoughts?

Show Image

And yes, it's a bull**** table.

THIS, is a graph:

Show Image

Source: http://bixby.berkeley.edu/research/population/

Why you gotta be so haughty-tooty about it..

Lot's of people don't take skool seriously.  And they live fulfilling and complete lives.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 13:09:00 »

Lot's of people don't take skool seriously.  And they live fulfilling and complete lives.

Why does your ignorance not surprise me...

I didn't mean to be all haughty-tooty... was simply trying to express my views, and provide more credible information to support it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 September 2014, 13:11:08 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 13:10:33 »

Why does your ignorance not surprise me...

why does you use \ignorance\ in the wrong place..

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 13:21:00 »
Attention: kindly disregard anything tp4 says. It's not contributing anything of value.

Please continue with the discussion.

Thanks,
OP.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 13:43:42 »
They start out talking about overpopulation and carrying capacity. Okay, sure. Then we get into waste and environmental impacts. I guess? And the only thing that they managed to "conclude" is that we should consume fewer things, which has nothing to do with overpopulation... Yes they did mention adopting, which is great, but the scope of this article seems ill-defined.

My thoughts on the subject are that this is an interesting thing to think about, but utterly useless to try to change. I have no hope of telling people to stop making babies, and frankly I don't care too much anyway. There is so much room in this world to support more people as is. We aren't lacking space. We may have resource issues, but who knows what discoveries are around the corner. Just look at how much impact the Haber-Bosch process for ammonia production had on carrying capacity. 100 years ago you could throw out all the fancy numbers you wanted but it doesn't matter because the whole situation changed.

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 13:46:11 »
Thoughts?

Show Image

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 14:17:59 »
just nuke russia and get darwinism back into america
problem solved
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline iri

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 14:39:55 »
just wash away norway. it's irrelevant anyway.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 14:40:04 »
They start out talking about overpopulation and carrying capacity. Okay, sure. Then we get into waste and environmental impacts. I guess? And the only thing that they managed to "conclude" is that we should consume fewer things, which has nothing to do with overpopulation... Yes they did mention adopting, which is great, but the scope of this article seems ill-defined.

My thoughts on the subject are that this is an interesting thing to think about, but utterly useless to try to change. I have no hope of telling people to stop making babies, and frankly I don't care too much anyway. There is so much room in this world to support more people as is. We aren't lacking space. We may have resource issues, but who knows what discoveries are around the corner. Just look at how much impact the Haber-Bosch process for ammonia production had on carrying capacity. 100 years ago you could throw out all the fancy numbers you wanted but it doesn't matter because the whole situation changed.

I file it under problem that will solve itself..   the solution may be starvation/ extreme inflation / extreme poverty/ Lots of people die / war..

But.. in the end.. all sorted...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 14:41:13 »
just nuke russia and get darwinism back into america
problem solved

what? why bother..

The only reason Russia is on the map, is because they got oil, which putin is selling..   Once that's done with, the land itself is wholly unfavorable..  seriously, that's it... done.. no more russia.. everyone there's gonna just move away..

Offline iri

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 14:42:21 »
my location label all of a sudden becomes relevant.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 14:54:41 »
my location label all of a sudden becomes relevant.

the only other thing left there is Timber...

I guess, if they make the proper transition to financial services, they can hold their own..  but I highly doubt they can out do the big players (Germany, USA) already in play...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 15:14:35 »
Something that would solve some of the problems is Soylent Green.

Or a (global) government conspiracy to invent a disease to wipe out a certain percentage of the population.  Or has that already happened?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 15:16:58 »

Or a (global) government conspiracy to invent a disease to wipe out a certain percentage of the population.  Or has that already happened?

It's definitely been attempted.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 15:19:15 »

Um... A population decrease is not the answer... that doesn't affect the fact that the population will Inevitably decrease..

SOYLENT is a GREAT idea....  I can't wait... seriously..  We don't even have to use PEOPLE... 

the movie used that for shock value,, but PEOPLE just as any other animal protein is extremely resources intensive vs Vegetable protein.

As for government created disease to kill population.. also unnecessary, because we have enough diseases that's already killing lots and lots and lots of people...

Hell.. one could argue, the Junkfood industry is killing people with diabetes..  So instead of people growing to old age to collect social securities, they die from eating..

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 15:19:44 »
I blame sister wives & the State of Utah.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 15:23:06 »

Polygamy.. hmm....  well....... there's nothing wrong with polygamy IMHO...

The regulation is unnecessary...

How many women will Actually choose a polygamous arrangement,  seriously, how many...  if/when they do,  what difference will it make as long as they raise healthy kids...

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 15:27:27 »

Polygamy.. hmm....  well....... there's nothing wrong with polygamy IMHO...

The regulation is unnecessary...

How many women will Actually choose a polygamous arrangement,  seriously, how many...  if/when they do,  what difference will it make as long as they raise healthy kids...

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 15:28:13 »
This is super relevant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voluntary_Human_Extinction_Movement

I often joke with my friends that we should stop reproducing for like 15 - 20 years. You know? Maybe 25 or 50. Yeah, 50 years. Just no more kids. Movie theatres would be so much better.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 15:33:36 »
This is super relevant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voluntary_Human_Extinction_Movement

I often joke with my friends that we should stop reproducing for like 15 - 20 years. You know? Maybe 25 or 50. Yeah, 50 years. Just no more kids. Movie theatres would be so much better.

that doesn't make any sense..

If EVERYONE  stopped reproducing from TODAY  for 50 years...

Then, the entire population that will START reproducing will be at least 50 Years old...

That will certainly spiral since fertility @ 50 is uber-bad, and everyone will be dead, because believe it or not.. Population growth is still the main driver of Productivity, and all basic services are held up by the younger population.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 15:35:21 »

If everyone was strictly homosexual with no commingling we wouldn't have reproduction problems. So to be environmentally correct sex with the opposite gender must be banned immediately. Problem solved.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 15:37:06 »

If everyone was strictly homosexual with no commingling we wouldn't have reproduction problems. So to be environmentally correct sex with the opposite gender must be banned immediately. Problem solved.

Spam... Based on your most recent posts,  I can only conclude that you are an unhappy gay Bear in a hetero-marriage..

what's going on br0... ?

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 15:37:50 »

You get it.

But seriously, put a moratorium on reproduction for a few years. Make it punishable by death.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 15:44:12 »

You get it.

But seriously, put a moratorium on reproduction for a few years. Make it punishable by death.

The fertility rate has consistently decreased since the 50s.. 

The fertility rate of Immigrants to the US also drop after the second generation..

The US is actually below the replacement rate.. as are most developed nations..

This is happening with NO intervention whatsoever..

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 15:49:45 »

You get it.

The fertility rate has consistently decreased since the 50s.. 

The fertility rate of Immigrants to the US also drop after the second generation..

The US is actually below the replacement rate.. as are most developed nations..

This is happening with NO intervention whatsoever..

Yeah it is all those developing 3rd world wanna be countries that are going to grow by large numbers over the next 30 years, unless some virus happens to take out a majority of the population.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 15:58:31 »
I file it under problem that will solve itself..   the solution may be starvation/ extreme inflation / extreme poverty/ Lots of people die / war..
Sure, but the costs are going to be huge. The Earth that is left after this turmoil (whenever/ifever it ceases) will certainly be less sustainable than what it is now.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 16:03:30 »
Sure, but the costs are going to be huge. The Earth that is left after this turmoil (whenever/ifever it ceases) will certainly be less sustainable than what it is now.

Um...that's very hard to say or claim bro...

Let's say... for example during the 50yr war of century 21.. we ran out of oil...   No oil, everyone's gotta go solar or wind...

World peace overnight because people are too busy snapping panels together .... 

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 16:29:44 »
Confirmed Ebola case in Texas.......and it begins.......

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 17:11:58 »
Confirmed Ebola case in Texas.......and it begins.......

I knew ebola was bad... then I read the wiki...  it's REALLY bad...

Everyone...  Go read the wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebola_virus_epidemic_in_West_Africa

Offline McWilloughby

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 17:16:38 »
We have the technology, knowledge and surface area to support a population quite a lot larger than what we have right now. I would argue that we have an en-masse lack of forsight in terms of how we're proceeding with the issue.

(Most) Governments in the developed world seem to be more concerned with the avoiding economic hit of taking action to address any of the large future issues (overpopulation, climate change, etc), without considering the economic hit of NOT taking action. The electricity needs of humanity can easily be generated with current solar technology (improvements need to be made to national/continental grids but that doesn't change the fact). The food requirements of humanity can easily be produced with usable farm land by focussing on growing crops rather than rearing livestock (similarly, distribution is a problem but not an insurmountable one).

Both of these issues with regards to overpopulation can be addressed with massive expenditure from the developed world and obviously the immediate economic effect would be bad. What will be worse though will be the effect of doing nothing and carrying on as we do now. Perhaps if we had more scientists in government rather than economists then we could actually get something done...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 17:44:28 »
We have the technology, knowledge and surface area to support a population quite a lot larger than what we have right now. I would argue that we have an en-masse lack of forsight in terms of how we're proceeding with the issue.

(Most) Governments in the developed world seem to be more concerned with the avoiding economic hit of taking action to address any of the large future issues (overpopulation, climate change, etc), without considering the economic hit of NOT taking action. The electricity needs of humanity can easily be generated with current solar technology (improvements need to be made to national/continental grids but that doesn't change the fact). The food requirements of humanity can easily be produced with usable farm land by focussing on growing crops rather than rearing livestock (similarly, distribution is a problem but not an insurmountable one).

Both of these issues with regards to overpopulation can be addressed with massive expenditure from the developed world and obviously the immediate economic effect would be bad. What will be worse though will be the effect of doing nothing and carrying on as we do now. Perhaps if we had more scientists in government rather than economists then we could actually get something done...

You've oversimplified br0..

The problem is people, and the people's problem is coordination..

People are epic inefficient.. and generally hampered by lethargy, complacency, and lack of follow through.

Everyone knows the right thing to do, but only spartans had the resolve to do them, and yet they're all dead..

So.. why is this.. well,  because of the constant infighting... 

The real battle is with not only nature, but our inner termoils.. our propensity for vices and to sin..

There is also a grave misunderstanding of MONEY...  That number @ da-Bank is just a fictional score-board, WE DO NOT have that equivalent in Industrial or Human capital...

That is why, we can't just write Africa a Check for 10 billion dollars, and have the problem go away....

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 21:05:41 »
You are both right. Any solution to avoiding the upcoming crisis will have to contain a workaround around human weakness.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 21:24:49 »
Who gives a ****? We'll all be long dead before this issue comes to a head.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 21:25:36 »
http://www.worldometers.info/

http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

300 billion dollars on illegal drugs  by september.. hmmm...

where are all these people doing drugs.. how come I never see them..

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 21:31:10 »
where are all these people doing drugs..

In their basements.

how come I never see them..

Because you are in your own basement.  Go to other people's basements and watch them do drugs!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 22:02:39 »
If anything, climate change has a bigger chance at killing off most of the planet before anything else. Just look at the drastic change in the planet in only the past 200 years, it'll take a lot longer than that for global population to reach a tipping point.
Either that, or disease + increased population before any sort of food shortage. Although we can already feel the impact of increased global population + automated work forces putting the economy in the ****ter. It's only competitive now, in 20 years it'll be brutal.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 22:06:33 »
If anything, climate change has a bigger chance at killing off most of the planet before anything else. Just look at the drastic change in the planet in only the past 200 years, it'll take a lot longer than that for global population to reach a tipping point.
Either that, or disease + increased population before any sort of food shortage. Although we can already feel the impact of increased global population + automated work forces putting the economy in the ****ter. It's only competitive now, in 20 years it'll be brutal.

I don't buy the whole climate change thing. I think there is more to a long term weather cycle than we realize. But that's not a topic to be discussed here :D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 22:13:00 »

I don't buy the whole climate change thing. I think there is more to a long term weather cycle than we realize. But that's not a topic to be discussed here :D

Again.. coordination problem..... (who listens to who)... vices (love big cars)... sins ('Murica)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 22:39:31 »

Definitely, who gives a sh1t about the future since it's better off to enjoy what you have NOW.  Far better off today than at any time previously hence enjoy everything because tomorrow could spell the end of the current utopia.

Hope it never ends at least while I am still alive.

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 22:52:48 »

You and spamray remind me of a song by NIN called "Capital G" from Year Zero. Your lyrics are:

Ain't gonna worry about no future generations and a
I'm sure somebody gonna figure it out

And for spamray:

Don't give a **** about the temperature in Guatemala
Don't really see what all the fuss is about

http://rock.genius.com/Nine-inch-nails-capital-g-lyrics

The amount of apathy in this world is confusing.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 23:01:10 »
If anything, climate change has a bigger chance at killing off most of the planet before anything else.
Yes, but they are connected. If there had not been population growth, there wouldn't have been as much climate change as there is.

A fundamental flaw is the widespread belief among economists and decision-makers in "growth" as something both natural and desirable. For there to be economic growth there has to be a growth in resource production and consumption, and ultimately at some level that has to be driven by growth in population.
The simple truth is that because we live on a limited sphere, there are limits to growth.

Offline tbc

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 23:20:45 »

You and spamray remind me of a song by NIN called "Capital G" from Year Zero. Your lyrics are:

Ain't gonna worry about no future generations and a
I'm sure somebody gonna figure it out

And for spamray:

Don't give a **** about the temperature in Guatemala
Don't really see what all the fuss is about

http://rock.genius.com/Nine-inch-nails-capital-g-lyrics

The amount of apathy in this world is confusing.

it's not so much apathy as superiority.

literally every generation considers itself to be more deserving and better than the next generation.  which is ironic, because that is just calling yourself a bad parent
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.