Author Topic: Windows 9... erm 10 Technical Preview  (Read 14169 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Windows 9... erm 10 Technical Preview
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 12:18:21 »
I plan on using Windows 7 for as long as possible.

Oh no! Go away scary change!!

No reason to change if Windows 7 does everything I want/need. :P

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 12:42:47 »

almost ready!

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 13:18:36 »
I still hate the Flat Design of the GUI.

Flat Design is the Mega Bloks of software design.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 13:20:41 »

That's one of the most peculiar feelings toward technology that I see expressed almost every day. Sure, the feature set in Windows 7 was pretty complete and good for 2009, but if an OS is innovative, it'll introduce stuff that you never knew you might want or benefit from. Snapping is one of those things, honestly. And I'm glad that Windows is finally introducing a native multiple-desktop management tool. That will be infinitely handy for my work machine.

I mean, at the end of the day, a conventional oven did everything I needed, but I still own a microwave, too.

Offline RED-404

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 13:24:34 »
I like flat, clean, sharp corners, but don't like the thick borders, it's a waste of screen space. I really don't like the old bubley rounded corners crap M$ had for years.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 13:24:40 »

If 9 works like 7, but has the updates to optimisation that 8 has and more, then 9 would be a vast improvement over 7. I see no reason to be against it, or to not want to try it... 8 was a step back in alot of directions but not everything about it was terrible... and 7 was far from perfect.

People said the same about XP prior to 7's launch becasue of all the stupid driver issues from 3rd parties at Vista's launch... but XP is actual ****.

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 13:26:25 »

No reason to change if Windows 7 does everything I want/need. :p

That's one of the most peculiar feelings toward technology that I see expressed almost every day. Sure, the feature set in Windows 7 was pretty complete and good for 2009, but if an OS is innovative, it'll introduce stuff that you never knew you might want or benefit from. Snapping is one of those things, honestly. And I'm glad that Windows is finally introducing a native multiple-desktop management tool. That will be infinitely handy for my work machine.

I mean, at the end of the day, a conventional oven did everything I needed, but I still own a microwave, too.

You young'uns and yer new-fangled technology... I still hunt and kill my dinner with a spear made from flint and a branch, and cook it over an open fire! If it was good enough for my ancestors, it's good enough for me!

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 13:30:58 »

snapping is good.. I'll give um that..

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 13:32:53 »
I still hate the Flat Design of the GUI.

Flat Design is the Mega Bloks of software design.

Show Image

inorite? 3D desktops are so much better!!!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 13:41:12 »

Corporate IT says no new OS's until they've been out for at least a year and have a service pack issued.  ^-^
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 October 2014, 13:57:22 by SpAmRaY »

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 14:02:39 »

Corporate IT says no new OS's until they've been out for at least a year and have a service pack issued.  ^-^

I saw your post before you edited it. I get where you're coming from, but I also still feel that new tech is sometimes worth an investment of time.

Either way, we are left to the calling of our IT overlords, right? Oh, never mind. I am my own. Yay!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 14:39:26 »
It's a real pain in the ass having to burn an iso to a disc before I can install it to a partition... why can't the exe software ****e that works with windows updater do it??

where the hell do you buy dvd's from these days that isn't amazon, and that isn't in a pack of 100 or something silly..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 15:17:52 »

I saw your post before you edited it. I get where you're coming from, but I also still feel that new tech is sometimes worth an investment of time.

Either way, we are left to the calling of our IT overlords, right? Oh, never mind. I am my own. Yay!

Despite Microsoft's minimum requirements, most OS major upgrades require a refresh of hardware.

Most large corporations don't want to buy 10,000 new PCs every 2 or 3 years just to keep up with operating systems, especially if there are application compatibility issues.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 15:35:29 »
I'm running Windows 8 on a three-year-old desktop without any issues. I'm currently installing Windows Technical Preview on a desktop that's roughly six years old. My work laptop is probably 3+ years old, too, running Windows 8.1 without a qualm.

I don't think they're pushing hardware as hard as they used to for the OS's sake. The real hardware requirements come in to play with the software you'll be using. A Core 2 Duo with 4GB should fly through Windows 10 when it comes out, which is what I'm installing the Technical Preview on.

From this article:http://www.pcworld.com/article/2690912/trying-windows-10-tech-preview-keep-these-7-things-in-mind.html

System requirements include a 1GHz or faster processor, 1GB of RAM for the 32-bit version and 2GB of RAM for the 64-bit version, and 16GB of free hard disk space.

I mean it's really not pushing the envelope on hardware requirements.

Offline RED-404

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 16:07:06 »
It can really run on a slower system the minimum specs are really an attempt to minimize the chance that someone will try to install on a system without PAE, NX, and SSE2 which won't work...

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 16:10:42 »
Woohoo. Posting from a Core 2 Duo with 4GB of RAM and Windows Technical Preview is snappy as hell!

The Start Menu, while it will appease the majority, is a weird step backward. I get why they're doing it, but it really doesn't make sense after using Windows 8/8.1 for a week. Whatever, though.

Install was relatively fast. I upgraded over Windows 7 and apart from one motherboard device I need to identify and get a driver for, the install has no issues. Everything is still in place. Seems solid on a quick impression. VirtualBox is hosed, however. I'll have to research that. Had been using it to run Windows XP so I could use the Aikon software to set my Gon keyboard up. If anyone has another workable suggestion on that, I'm all ears, otherwise I'll set VirtualBox up on another machine and copy my VM over.

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 16:13:05 »
Mine is running on an old unit as well, over a raid 0 I popped over some old HHD's. It indeed is snappy, in contrast to windows 7/8. Not quite as fast as the Arch I had on there before.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 16:35:20 »
I'm kind of surprised that they're releasing an x86 version of Win10. I had hoped\imagined that by now they would be able to justify letting 32 bit systems go extinct.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Halvar

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 16:42:34 »
I have Win 8.1 32 bit running on a very nice Atom tablet -- there's no need and no advantage with a 64 bit version on that.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 16:44:06 »
WINX

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 17:13:58 »
I'm also kind of surprised they don't ditch x86. I don't think there are many cpu that meet the instruction set requirements that aren't also x64 capable. Even on low spec atoms... there is no detriment to running x64 even if there is no real advantage. Seems like things might go better if there are less branches to support. I think thats why they killed x86 in the server side.
System requirements have gone back down since 7. Even on the bare minimum it's useable as long as the OS drive is an SSD.
I dislike the new start menu implementation. It's going backwards and just to appease those who hate change. I thought there was supposed to be an option to have 8.x style, or I am missing something. Other UI stuff is cool, running modern apps windowed is better for multitasking to be sure. More interested in under the hood stuff though. I really wish they would fix sleep... **** still dosen't sleep properly if it's in a homegroup or if you ever open an rdp session on a machine that is still up unless reboot to fully sever.
I don't think I will be updating to 10 unless its free. Not enough to be willing to pay anything for over 8.1. This **** should be a feature/service pack like they were originally going to do not a whole new OS.

Offline RED-404

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 17:23:34 »
Yeah M$ needs to ditch 3͖̗̣̱͉2͚̺̥̩b̦͈̻̺̲͖̖̮̦i̪̥͇͈͕͈̹̪ț̱̙̼̣͇̠̟ Its starting to get a little glitchy and insecure without DEP, PatchGuard, ect.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 07:34:13 »
Turns out 10gb isn't enough space for winx... so lets try 100gb...

Offline evolveS

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 09:13:20 »
There's a checkbox in the Start Menu properties to switch back to the Windows 8 style start screen instead of the Windows 10 Start menu.

After the 8.1 changes to the start screen made it usable, I'm less attached to the old start menu. With the Win+X shortcuts it's also easier to get into the system settings instead of typing them into the search bar.

I'd really like to see an Openbox-eqsue start menu implementation where a key combination pops up a menu from where your cursor is. It's a shame Litestep isn't still under development...
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 October 2014, 11:42:39 by evolveS »
"money comes and goes, but doubleshots are forever"
-a petty thief

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 09:13:23 »
Alright, just been playing with it a bunch and god damn... if they can get this right... WinX will be a HUGE improvement over Win7.

If and when programs you can pin to the start menu get good (like a twitter live feed, or fb live feed) your start menu becomes 10x more powerful and means you don't have to have so many tabs or windows open on your browser (which is something I feel has become the bane of modern computing).

Having so much more control over your windows is also pretty damn awesome... now I just have to start to live with it for a week or so and see how much better it feels compared to Win7 and if I can actually do and get more done.
Installing/downloading Starcraft 2 atm!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 10:39:50 »
I feel like the first thing people r gonna do... is turn off MOST of the new stuff

then it'll pretty much look like window 7

Just like how on Window 7 , i turn off all the new stuff so it looks like XP

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 11:40:38 »
Well, after trying to config some settings in sc2, winX bsod'd on me and when it rebooted wouldn't let me login becasue I wasn't connected to the internets becasue my network adapter had also crashed :/

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 11:46:34 »
What's the error message you get when you attempt to log in? Windows 8.1 allows offline login based on the last password your Live account was using when it was last online, assuming you're tied to a Live account. I find it odd that they would elect to change that in Windows Technical Preview, unless it's something related to the reporting it does.

Either way, weird. You would have to assume there would be times you would be offline.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 12:45:02 »
Windows 8.1 allows offline login based on the last password your Live account was using when it was last online

Thats what it said, but my login dsnt have a password... but I guess misunderstood which account it was talking about...

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 14:25:57 »
Well had my second bsod, pretty sure it my network adapter... Not much I can do about it though :/

Offline Limewirelord

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 15:11:29 »
Guys, make sure you use the Windows Feedback app as much as you can.  It takes very little time and you can suggest what or how something should be implemented or if you like or don't like things.  You can also just vote "Me too" on an issue that already exists.

Working fine on a VM but the charms bar never shows up...

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 15:20:18 »
Working fine on a VM but the charms bar never shows up...

There isn't one...

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #82 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 09:37:37 »
For anyone maybe using VirtualBox and getting weird kernel-related errors on starting a VM, downgrade to 4.3.12 if you're running 4.3.16. Fixed my VM.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 13:01:25 »
I put Windows 10 on a machine at work to test it out and it looks very promising. The new start menu design certainly has potential.

I read online that Microsoft decided to not call it "Windows 9" because it sounds too much like "Windows 98". Just can't unseat the king of operating systems I guess.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 01:56:53 »
I'm also kind of surprised they don't ditch x86. I don't think there are many cpu that meet the instruction set requirements that aren't also x64 capable. Even on low spec atoms... there is no detriment to running x64 even if there is no real advantage. Seems like things might go better if there are less branches to support. I think thats why they killed x86 in the server side.
System requirements have gone back down since 7. Even on the bare minimum it's useable as long as the OS drive is an SSD.
I dislike the new start menu implementation. It's going backwards and just to appease those who hate change. I thought there was supposed to be an option to have 8.x style, or I am missing something. Other UI stuff is cool, running modern apps windowed is better for multitasking to be sure. More interested in under the hood stuff though. I really wish they would fix sleep... **** still dosen't sleep properly if it's in a homegroup or if you ever open an rdp session on a machine that is still up unless reboot to fully sever.
I don't think I will be updating to 10 unless its free. Not enough to be willing to pay anything for over 8.1. This **** should be a feature/service pack like they were originally going to do not a whole new OS.

Agreed, wish they would do more under the hood, fixing sleep would be a great start. It's one of the things that really annoys me moving between OS X and Windows, how is OS X sleep so good and windows so **** :(

Offline osi

« Reply #85 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 18:05:42 »
Put the tech preview on a very low end machine with an ssd equipped. Runs fine so far but haven't gotten too friendly with it yet.

The multiple desktops feature has a lot of room to grow

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 10:40:00 »

Retaining an X86 platform is important for working with legacy equipment. I have a printer from 1994 that doesn't have any X64 drivers. Many other cases of specialized equipment exist as well. With an X86 version of Windows 10, at least people will be able to work with 16-bit software and drivers on a modern platform.

CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 11:51:34 »
Retaining an X86 platform is important for working with legacy equipment. I have a printer from 1994 that doesn't have any X64 drivers. Many other cases of specialized equipment exist as well. With an X86 version of Windows 10, at least people will be able to work with 16-bit software and drivers on a modern platform.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 17:03:10 »
What I would do if I were MS is release a product called Windows Legacy. That OS would be a modern x86 32bit OS with a 16bit subsystem and a built in DOSbox type solution for the even older 16bit stuff that dosen't work worth a **** outside of DOS or 9x if you're lucky. It would have the lowest hardware requirements possible... as in it would run on a Galileo low so people could also run it on the ancient PentiumII or AMD Athlon system. Give it a 15 year support window and allow people to get their stuff updated.
At the same time it would allow them to strip all that crap out of the current OS so we could get it all lean and mean for current hardware and get rid of all that legacy bloat and security issues.

I appreciate vintage/retro PC and I have a couple myself, but I have no expectation to have modern OS run on that crap. Lets get real.

Offline Altis

« Reply #89 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 20:43:48 »
I've been looking at the new design and features of Windows 10 and I have to say that I'm quite happy with the direction they are taking it.

I like the new Start menu, the taskbar, the multiple desktops, and snapping to corners.

It should make desktop/laptop users more at home than Win 8 did.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline DasHHKBProM

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 21:16:08 »
I've been looking at the new design and features of Windows 10 and I have to say that I'm quite happy with the direction they are taking it.

I like the new Start menu, the taskbar, the multiple desktops, and snapping to corners.

I really hope so, For me personally windows 8 was unpleasant experience. Prior to windows 8 I would consider myself a loyal customer to ms. I loved windows vista(un popular opinion meme inserted here) for me personally, i never had one issue with it. it wasn't until a fresh system build, i moved on to windows 7(3 years after it's initial release in 09.) windows snap whaaaaat.

then came 4k technology, the experience, well it was not a pleasant one in the windows 7 environment for me personally it did not feel natural trading 150% dpi readable text with unfocused icons and webtext. Now im forced to OSX for any functional work in everyday life, using xcode in replace of VS and the experience seems to be going from bitter to sweet in comparison to windows 8.   

anyways i want to love my desktop more than my ****ing laptop again please ms let windows 10 do this for me!!!! ~rant(); :eek:

Offline tbc

« Reply #91 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 23:35:00 »
doesn't compatibility mode handle all of this?  it SHOULD be able to emulate 32-bit XP.

or are people saying that 16-bit programs that worked on 32-bit XP no longer works in XP-emulation mode on 64-bit windows?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Altis

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 08:06:10 »

I really hope so, For me personally windows 8 was unpleasant experience. Prior to windows 8 I would consider myself a loyal customer to ms. I loved windows vista(un popular opinion meme inserted here) for me personally, i never had one issue with it. it wasn't until a fresh system build, i moved on to windows 7(3 years after it's initial release in 09.) windows snap whaaaaat.

then came 4k technology, the experience, well it was not a pleasant one in the windows 7 environment for me personally it did not feel natural trading 150% dpi readable text with unfocused icons and webtext. Now im forced to OSX for any functional work in everyday life, using xcode in replace of VS and the experience seems to be going from bitter to sweet in comparison to windows 8.   

anyways i want to love my desktop more than my ****ing laptop again please ms let windows 10 do this for me!!!! ~rant(); :eek:

I think that's the common sentiment (pretty well everyone I know feels this way about 8), and MS knows it. 10 should be what 8 should have been. Until then, it's 7 for me.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 11:49:12 »
64bit Windows lacks the 16bit subsystem entirely. Compatibility mode can't do anything since the subsystem it needs doesn't exist in the OS. 32bit version still have 16bit subsystem, but getting it to run old DOS/9x stuff can be hit and miss. Some retro software works fine, some has strange behavior or just doesn't work at all on current OS and hardware.
If you mean XP mode, as in where you install XP as an internal VM thing... I never tried it. Seems like overkill and a huge waste of disk space when you could just use DOSbox.
I prefer to use an old machine with old OS version for that stuff instead. It's a lot less hassle to run software on the kind of hardware and OS it expects. It just works like expected (or as well as it ever did anyway), and no need to do odd work arounds or hacks to get it to run.

Offline tbc

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 12:38:14 »
okay, so people are specifically having issues with true 16-bit problems.  that's according to spec.

compatibility mode as in the option under properties.  for some reason, it doesn't always kick in automatically and for aome other reason, it sometimes doesn't warn you that sometimes you need admin privileges.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Altis

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 17:37:27 »
Wouldn't you be able to run an older Windows virtual machine and still use the 16-bit stuff if 64-bit Windows no longer supports it?