Author Topic: Are Key switch samplers worth it?  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Rossytaylor

Are Key switch samplers worth it?
« on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 09:35:41 »
I have a poker II with Cherry Mx Blues on currently, i've heard from alot of people that the reds are horrible to use however i love the sound of them over the blues but im not too sure if i want to invest the money into a keyboard with different keys as i dont want to waste my money if i dont like them, so are key samplers worth it ( one with each key type) i heard browns are nice but they just dont have the same sound as red :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I0VX4VS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=UCNXQRGALW19&coliid=I2AL8Q6HWH540Z

Offline Xike

Re: Are Key switch samplers worth it?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 12:50:00 »
Samplers are fun and have a ton of uses outside of actually testing switches.

If you are intending to use it for testing switches, however, I think it's worth it. 9 pounds is a comparatively small investment compared to the cost of a full keyboard. You don't want to end up with a switch you don't like using and regret not making that small purchase ahead of time.

I have my first tester on order from the recent massdrop, and plan on using it as a display stand for some of my caps. You can also grab a Teensy USB development board if you are technically inclined and turn your tester into a mini custom keyboard, for whatever reason.
Filco Ninja Majestouch 2 (Cherry MX Red)    KBC Poker II (Cherry MX Clear)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Are Key switch samplers worth it?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 17:10:42 »
Only up to a point.  It does not compare to typing on a full keyboard with a particular switch, and there are other factors such as the plate in the full keyboard, keycap material and so on.

The one you have linked will not give a true impression of typing on a keyboard, but will give you a vague indication of what each switch feels like.  Just close your eyes and pretend you are pressing the fire key or something ;)

If you have a local computer retailer, maybe ask them if you can try a couple of different mechanical keyboards.  Some people are lucky - their vendors actually have a few available to try.

But if you do get a switch tester (I have about 3 or 4 of various types), you can use it to display your favourite artisan keycaps :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ