Author Topic: Hello Geekhack!  (Read 2587 times)

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
Hello Geekhack!
« on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 12:47:15 »
Hey guys! Meow here. Just joined GH, but I've been into keyboards for awhile. This seems like a great community, and I figured it was time to join now that I'm just starting to get in to custom keycaps and the like. Considering buying a CTL-ALT JD40 kit to put together as a fun project.

Current plank is a Ducky Shine 3 with Cherry MX blacks and blue backlighting. Doubleshot OEM profile blue and red keycaps with white legends, with O-rings. Waiting for my polycarbonate Portal keycaps to get here, and a metal escape key. I also have a CM Storm Quickfire TK Ultimate with Cherry MX blues. Nothing remarkable about it at all.

My strange love for input devices extends to joysticks and other things as well. I have a CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, and Pro Pedals, as well as a Saitek Pro Flight Yoke. I also have a TrackIR 5, and various pieces of retro sim gear.

Not sure what else to say, I look forward to being a part of the community!
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 October 2014, 13:22:02 by meow a cat »

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
Re: Hello Geekhack!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 04:08:24 »
Welcome to GeekHack!

If you're into keyboards you've come to the right place! :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 05:48:27 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

MX blacks - nice :)

Do you find the blues a bit light?  Maybe try greens next.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 10:09:59 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

MX blacks - nice :)

Do you find the blues a bit light?  Maybe try greens next.

I did find the blues to be light, which is why I chose blacks for my second board. I want to try greens if I can find them. If I get a JD-40 kit I will definitely buy green switches, otherwise I will go blue, brown, or grey if I can't find a 60% I like that has greens as an option. I do like blues, but I would prefer a heavier keypress.

I guess if I put my O-rings on Cherry MX blues it might be a higher actuation. I'm still getting used to the O-rings on my blacks, but they feel almost too heavy now. It could be a mind trick though, maybe they're not any heavier? Or maybe they need some oil on the switches?

Currently my grandfather is using my CM TK Ultimate with blues, as he is an accountant and he does alot of typing/data entry, I think he's starting to like using a mechanical.

Thanks for the welcome! :)

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 10:12:32 »
Welcome to GeekHack!

If you're into keyboards you've come to the right place! :thumb:

Thank you!

Yes, it seems like I will fit in well here. Hopefully I learn a lot about keyboards too!  :D

Boards:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 23:26:29 »
I did find the blues to be light, which is why I chose blacks for my second board. I want to try greens if I can find them. If I get a JD-40 kit I will definitely buy green switches, otherwise I will go blue, brown, or grey if I can't find a 60% I like that has greens as an option. I do like blues, but I would prefer a heavier keypress.

I guess if I put my O-rings on Cherry MX blues it might be a higher actuation. I'm still getting used to the O-rings on my blacks, but they feel almost too heavy now. It could be a mind trick though, maybe they're not any heavier? Or maybe they need some oil on the switches?

Currently my grandfather is using my CM TK Ultimate with blues, as he is an accountant and he does alot of typing/data entry, I think he's starting to like using a mechanical.

It too me a while to find a keyboard with greens out here, and actually I ended up having to buy one from the US and have it shipped internationally!  But I love my greens :)

The O-rings will not change the actuation point, but they will stop the switch from pressing all the way down.  All of the Cherry MX switches actuate half way down.

You can lube switches, if you really want to, but it takes a while to do it properly and get it right.  The results are said to be quite good, although I have not done it yet.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 00:32:31 »

It too me a while to find a keyboard with greens out here, and actually I ended up having to buy one from the US and have it shipped internationally!  But I love my greens :)

The O-rings will not change the actuation point, but they will stop the switch from pressing all the way down.  All of the Cherry MX switches actuate half way down.

You can lube switches, if you really want to, but it takes a while to do it properly and get it right.  The results are said to be quite good, although I have not done it yet.

I'm thinking it's probably a mind trick, because for some reason it feels like more work to type with the O-rings on than it did before.

Which board did you go with to get greens? I'd like to get a Poker II for my next board if I don't get a 40%. Or maybe a Ducky Mini, I love my Ducky board.

Boards:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 02:08:35 »

I'm thinking it's probably a mind trick, because for some reason it feels like more work to type with the O-rings on than it did before.

Which board did you go with to get greens? I'd like to get a Poker II for my next board if I don't get a 40%. Or maybe a Ducky Mini, I love my Ducky board.

I got a QFS with greens.  Currently it has granite PBT DSA keycaps on it.

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 10:44:05 »

I got a QFS with greens.  Currently it has granite PBT DSA keycaps on it.

Ahh, nice. The granite keyset looked beautiful. QFS is the CM Quickfire Stealth, correct? I was really pleased with my QF TK Ultimate, especially for the budget price of $80.

I really want the Galaxy Class set.. I hope another GB comes up for it.

By the way, I don't suppose you could clarify something for me? I read the rules for the classifieds subforum, and it mentioned that you need to be a GH member for 2 months, as well as accumulate 25 posts to post a thread. Do I need to meet these requirements to buy things from people, or does it only apply to creating threads? Do I need to meet these requirements to join in on a group buy?

Boards:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 04:54:31 »
Ahh, nice. The granite keyset looked beautiful. QFS is the CM Quickfire Stealth, correct? I was really pleased with my QF TK Ultimate, especially for the budget price of $80.

By the way, I don't suppose you could clarify something for me? I read the rules for the classifieds subforum, and it mentioned that you need to be a GH member for 2 months, as well as accumulate 25 posts to post a thread. Do I need to meet these requirements to buy things from people, or does it only apply to creating threads? Do I need to meet these requirements to join in on a group buy?

Yes, QFS is just a QFR with front-printed keycaps (which I swapped out straight away anyway).

And yes, you can post in existing threads to buy things - you just can't create a new thread until you have met the requirements.

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 10:15:22 »

Yes, QFS is just a QFR with front-printed keycaps (which I swapped out straight away anyway).

And yes, you can post in existing threads to buy things - you just can't create a new thread until you have met the requirements.

Thanks for clearing that up for me! I need four R4 keycaps for the extra function keys on my Shine 3, hoping to find something interesting from someone here if I can.

My TK Ultimate has the ugliest keycaps. I think the case is pretty ugly too, alot of branding. Whenever I get a really nice keyset for my Ducky, I will probably put these doubleshot ABS keycaps onto the CM TK. I've been thinking of painting the case on my TK, although I've never done anything like that before.

..or maybe I will end up harvesting the switches from it one day.

Thanks for chatting with me by the way, Rowdy! Everyone here at GH seems really friendly and helpful.

Boards:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 04:16:56 »

Thanks for clearing that up for me! I need four R4 keycaps for the extra function keys on my Shine 3, hoping to find something interesting from someone here if I can.

My TK Ultimate has the ugliest keycaps. I think the case is pretty ugly too, alot of branding. Whenever I get a really nice keyset for my Ducky, I will probably put these doubleshot ABS keycaps onto the CM TK. I've been thinking of painting the case on my TK, although I've never done anything like that before.

Thanks for chatting with me by the way, Rowdy! Everyone here at GH seems really friendly and helpful.

Everyone starts somewhere :)

Unfortunately the CM TK has a different bottom row layout to the Ducky - the Ctrl/Alt/Win/Menu keys are different sizes.  So you won't be able to swap all the keycaps.

And yeah, the extra 4 keys on the Ducky Shine can be annoying - a few times I've bought extra keycaps in a set just to get matching ones for those 4 keys.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 04:20:42 »

Rowdy's a good guy. :thumb:  Most people here aren't too bad, either. :))

Welcome to the site and community.  Poker's never a bad board to buy, especially when you're starting out trying to figure out what you like.  I really think that trying everything at least once and then making your own informed decision is the smartest way to go about this hobby.  Be careful of the hype. ;)

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 06:31:13 »

Rowdy's a good guy. :thumb:  Most people here aren't too bad, either. :))

Welcome to the site and community.  Poker's never a bad board to buy, especially when you're starting out trying to figure out what you like.  I really think that trying everything at least once and then making your own informed decision is the smartest way to go about this hobby.  Be careful of the hype. ;)

Appreciate the welcome!

I really like the look of the Poker, the slim bezel is sexy. Seeing pictures of the CTRL-ALT JD40 makes me want one so bad though.. plus it seems really portable too. I'm thinking about going to school next year, so portability could be handy.

I'm not sure how well I will adjust to not having a numpad, as I prefer using it over the number row.

I tried looking for 40% keyboards from manufacturers, but no one seems to make them.

Everyone starts somewhere :)

Unfortunately the CM TK has a different bottom row layout to the Ducky - the Ctrl/Alt/Win/Menu keys are different sizes.  So you won't be able to swap all the keycaps.

And yeah, the extra 4 keys on the Ducky Shine can be annoying - a few times I've bought extra keycaps in a set just to get matching ones for those 4 keys.

Ahh, I forgot about that; I haven't looked at my TK in like 6ish months. I might be able to find some novelties to swap them out with perhaps. Or maybe WASD keyboards can help me out with some blank singles.

For now I took four of the keys I wasn't using from my red set, and spelled 'meow', just to cover up the switches. I'm hoping I can get a hold of Ragnorock, because the polished keycaps he had for sale were beautiful, and he had the matching colours for my set. :)

I'm also waiting for an interesting group buy to come up, because I missed all of the awesome recent keysets. I'm really tempted by the Valentine set they are taking orders for, the heart monitor pulse design is really cool.

Boards: