Author Topic: How the Hell Am I Already Addicted?  (Read 2853 times)

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
How the Hell Am I Already Addicted?
« on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 18:30:58 »
I just bought a keyboard. Bought a keyboard. Bought.

I haven't even gotten it yet and I'm already looking at potentially spending over $200 on another keyboard with MX clears and a DSA Dolch keycap set among others.

What the hell am I doing? Why am I doing this?

The first freaking thing I did when I got back from work was look at keycaps. Now it's taking everything I have to not buy these things. Can I really be addicted without even having felt a mechanical keyboard, let alone freaking keycaps? I'm a beginner for Christ's sake.

If you honestly think I'm being stupid, please say so.
KBParadise V60 with Cherry MX Browns | Corsair K60 with Cherry MX Reds

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
Re: How the Hell Am I Already Addicted?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 18:33:45 »
STEP ONE DONT INJECT KEYBOARDS INTO UR ARMS OR BUTT, ESPECIALLY NOT UR EYEBALLS
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 18:36:01 »
I kicked the habit after I got my Egdx..  it's the END all keyboard... there's really no upgrade from it..

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 18:38:13 »
Are You Addicted To Shift?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline RED-404

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 18:42:33 »
Yes, you are now get started on a Mushishi keyset [IC]

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 18:56:37 »
Are You Addicted To Shift?

Not sure what you're referring to. Are you asking me if I'm addicted to new interests or change or...?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 19:01:13 »
chances are you're not going to like stock clears. or clears, period.

dont see why you'd waste 200 on a board with a switch you haven't sat down and used, at all.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 19:01:36 »
May I interest you in Topre? :D
Welcome!!

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 19:04:38 »

dont see why you'd waste 200 on a board with a switch you haven't sat down and used, at all.

Oh, you meant the key. The board itself is only $120 including shipping. The caps are worth $70. I have an interest in the clears as well as the PBT caps that come with the Leopold on Massdrop.

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 09:45:30 »

I haven't even gotten it yet and I'm already looking at potentially spending over $200 on another keyboard with MX clears and a DSA Dolch keycap set among others.

The first freaking thing I did when I got back from work was look at keycaps. Now it's taking everything I have to not buy these things. Can I really be addicted without even having felt a mechanical keyboard, let alone freaking keycaps? I'm a beginner for Christ's sake.

Yeah there's something wrong with you. Deeply deranged, pls s33k h3lp1/1!!

**** keycaps.

As for you wanting to buy another keyboard before you even got your first one, that's a bit.. I don't know, illogical perhaps? Surely you'd want to try the one that you get before you rush into buying another one?

DAMN SON.

Clears are a switch that are for the advanced mech user in my opinion, they are a lot more dense than other switches, a lot heavier and what not, so for you wanting to go to that first before trying out other switches, before even getting your keyboard? little weird.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 October 2014, 09:47:05 by Fragil1ty »
你搞砸了

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 11:27:14 »

Yeah there's something wrong with you. Deeply deranged, pls s33k h3lp1/1!!

**** keycaps.

As for you wanting to buy another keyboard before you even got your first one, that's a bit.. I don't know, illogical perhaps? Surely you'd want to try the one that you get before you rush into buying another one?

DAMN SON.

Clears are a switch that are for the advanced mech user in my opinion, they are a lot more dense than other switches, a lot heavier and what not, so for you wanting to go to that first before trying out other switches, before even getting your keyboard? little weird.

typical clears are quite heavy..   most new kids don't get used to blacks.. clears are even heavier.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 11:41:23 »
People whose brains are wired for certain kinds of addictions will self-select to join groups that encourage the addictive habit. No doubt we get a dopamine rush by buying keyboards and accessories for them. Then it escalates, as we find that we have not yet acquired the perfect keyboard or the most attractive keycap set until one day we discover that the apartment is stuffed to the rafters with keyboards in boxes and file drawers overflowing with plastic bags filled with keycaps. Not satisfied with commercial boards, we invest in soldering irons, hookup wire, and diodes, and starting building customs, modding stock boards, or converting vintage boards to USB....

Offline RED-404

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 11:54:46 »
People whose brains are wired for certain kinds of addictions will self-select to join groups that encourage the addictive habit. No doubt we get a dopamine rush by buying keyboards and accessories for them. Then it escalates, as we find that we have not yet acquired the perfect keyboard or the most attractive keycap set until one day we discover that the apartment is stuffed to the rafters with keyboards in boxes and file drawers overflowing with plastic bags filled with keycaps. Not satisfied with commercial boards, we invest in soldering irons, hookup wire, and diodes, and starting building customs, modding stock boards, or converting vintage boards to USB....

It's not an addiction its an educational experience.

"we discover that the apartment is stuffed to the rafters with keyboards in boxes and file drawers overflowing with plastic bags filled with keycaps." Organizational skills.

"we invest in soldering irons, hookup wire, and diodes," Basic electronics and soldering.

"starting building customs" CAD,3d modeling, basic CNC, machining skills and knowledge of different metal and plastics properties.

"modding stock boards, or converting vintage boards to USB" Being thrifty, recycling, restoration and basic programming.

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 12:09:08 »
Yeah. Starting this thread brought back my sanity. I'm gonna wait on my K60 with browns and mess with that first. Thanks guys.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 12:14:33 »
Clears > *

I haven't tried Topre yet so at least in the MX world the above statement is true. I don't understand all the "clears are so heavy" hate though, to me they feel pretty comparable in actuation force to a lot of the rubber domes I've used in the past. Unless you are either disabled or have scrawny little ***** fingers they really aren't that heavy ...

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 12:21:15 »
Clears > *

I haven't tried Topre yet so at least in the MX world the above statement is true. I don't understand all the "clears are so heavy" hate though, to me they feel pretty comparable in actuation force to a lot of the rubber domes I've used in the past. Unless you are either disabled or have scrawny little ***** fingers they really aren't that heavy ...

clears are awesome, I think the problem people have is bottoming out all the time, the thing is with clears there is no reason to bottom out

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 12:23:18 »
Hitting rock bottom is the key to recovery. ;)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 12:30:51 »
Heavy switches are the best.  But i cant stand clears or blacks.

Heavy clicky switches tho. Only time id touch cherry peasantry

Offline saint_james

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 13:39:01 »

I know how you feel, as I am going through the same thing.  I just bought a mech keyboard for myself (WASD V2), and one for my kids (CM QFR).  Already bought upgraded thick PBT keycaps and o-rings for them...  I am now shopping for the next keyboards (gotta have a cool one for work after all)...  and of course there are all the different switch types to try (Topre, BS, Matias/Alps)...  this feels a lot like collecting Pokemon cards... gotta catch 'em all!!!
C = Q/V ≈ ε₀ (A/d)
Active: FC980C | FC660C Low-noise | RF 87u 55g | RF 23u
Inactive: WASD v2 | Pok3r | QFR | Aukey KM-G9 | Compaq RT101
Dead and buried: Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite

Offline deci

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 14:05:04 »
Don't feel bad. It happens to a lot of people.

I first got interested in mechanical keyboards back when the original Razor Black Widow with blues first came out.
I very quickly ended up buying a Steelseries 7G and then a WASD with browns when those first appeared.
Being sort of broke back then, I realized this was probably a bad hobby for me to be into and had the discipline to step away...

Fast forward to a couple of months ago when I stumbled back onto this website after seeing a picture of some WYSE DSA keycaps somewhere.
Well now since my career is going well and I have expendable resources... I have purchased a GON TKL, Dolch pac 60, HHKB, Novatouch, Duck Eagle, quite a few keycap sets, alternate controllers and teensies for modding, as well as custom usb cables and carrying cases. And I'm still going to grab a planck and Lightsaver if I can find one. I don't even want to think about how much $$$ that is.
Thank god I'm not into artisan keycaps... although I must admit Brobots are damn beautiful.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... Get out now! The rabbit hole is deep...

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 20:48:54 »
You aint **** 'till you can fill your entire f-row with clacks.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 20:54:05 »

Aren't you a couple short still?

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 21:01:08 »

I wonder what that makes naasfu   :))

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 21:18:27 »

Aren't you a couple short still?

Yeah, I aint **** tho ;)

In fact, I can't recall seeing an almost full MX board being posted. I may be mistaken, but but all the big daddies have mainly Topre.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 October 2014, 21:20:00 by noisyturtle »

Offline Belfong

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 00:11:51 »
Is it cheating by filling up the HHKB f-row? Am I addicted? :D

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 03:44:41 »
Oops, you strayed off the path into Off Topic.. Be careful, here be dragons.

ErgoClears FTW!

But it's a good idea to at least try your first mechanical board for a while to work out what you like and don't like about the particular board design, switch type, etc. Then you're much better prepared for choosing board number 2. I've been pretty lucky in that I bought a Ducky as my first mechanical.

Then turned into an ergonomic board with my own character layout and bought some blank keycaps.

And I thought I was done. Normal layout board didn't appeal and all the keycap sets other than blanks are for standard character layouts, so no keycap acquisition syndrome.

It stayed that way for a while, but I realised I wanted a mechanical board for work and since I wasn't fast enough yet on my ergo board I bought a normal layout 60% board (KBT Pure Limited)....

My wallet hates me now. I've modified my Pure up the wazoo and ordered way too many keycap sets. Also a couple more PCB's so I can build more 60% keyboards. And then I got a Model M and I'm in the process of turning it into a 60%, too... sigh...

I think I'm done with buying more stuff for a while... At least until all the stuff I've ordered arrives.  ;)
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Matter

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 00:26:08 »
Happening to me too! Purchased a Noppoo and now i'm getting the HHKB next. Not sure when this addiction will end...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 04:27:06 »
Happening to me too! Purchased a Noppoo and now i'm getting the HHKB next. Not sure when this addiction will end...

Jumping right in at the deep end :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ