Author Topic: Quality non-Apple Tablets in the $500-$650 range?  (Read 5136 times)

Offline dante

Quality non-Apple Tablets in the $500-$650 range?
« on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 15:11:54 »
My wife's birthday is coming up and I'd like to replace her non-Air 9"-10"(?) OG I-Pad with something else.  Of course the new i-Pad Air is out but was trying to see what else might be good.

So what is worthwhile in the $500-$650 range?  Prefer a large (10"+) crisp screen, and likely 32gb of storage.

There will not be a ton of music stored on it - mostly web surfing, casual games (think candycrush), and streaming tv shows.

Also: Will be Wifi only - not tied to any 4g network!

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
Re: Quality non-Apple Tablets in the $500-$650 range?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 15:26:53 »
Seems like for that price range you can get pretty much anything! Google Nexus, Kindle Fire HDX, Samsung Galaxy Tab/Note, ASUS Transformer, even a Microsoft Surface, if Android isn't your thing.

I have an older Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 and I like it a lot. I have had no issues with it whatsoever. The nice thing about non-Apple tablets is that most, if not all, all you to use an SD card to expand the storage. So if one day that 32GB isn't enough, you can expand to what suits your needs. I don't really understand why people pay so much money for Apple products.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 01:59:50 »
i'd shy away from kindle anything.

aren't they still only allowing their store only and no google default apps?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 02:07:48 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 September 2015, 14:42:46 by esoomenona »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 02:09:20 »
If she already has an iPad, why not just go for another iPad? She likely already has apps, is used to the system, and most people aren't interested in changing.

Agreed and the performance boost she will see from OG iPad to a new one would be huge

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 03:07:40 »
i'd shy away from kindle anything.

aren't they still only allowing their store only and no google default apps?

I heard Samsung partnered up with Barnes and Noble for the Nook, but that said....

I honestly think the iPad is the easiest to use for those less tech savvy, I heard decent reviews about the ASUS transformer becoming the new ultrabook.
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 07:31:57 »
Have to say my dad has a nexus 7 and loves it, not sure what they retail at US though

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 07:54:19 »
Your only other option at that price-point besides an iPad Air is the Samsung Galaxy Tab S.

Currently, the 32GB model isn't available in the US, but it supports up to 128GB micro-SD cards. Getting an additional 16GB is relatively cheap these days. Even with a 32GB micro-SD card, the tablet and SD card combined retail for less than the iPad Air.

Check this comparison of the two.

The iPad loses in almost every category. In terms of bang-for-your-buck, it's a no-brainer: go with the Galaxy. Forget iPaid.
KBParadise V60 with Cherry MX Browns | Corsair K60 with Cherry MX Reds

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 07:55:16 »
Have to say my dad has a nexus 7 and loves it, not sure what they retail at US though
They are relatively cheap. I am also a fan of the Nexus 7.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 08:04:00 »
I switched from my old iPad 2 to a Galaxy Tab 8.4. Granted, I'd had only android phones before this, but the switch was pretty easy, and I really love it so far.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 08:53:44 »

Offline dante

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 09:38:57 »
Currently, the 32GB model isn't available in the US, ...

BestBuy has the 32gb model.

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 10:04:20 »
I stand corrected. Check your local Best Buy =p

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 11:36:47 »
Every time I have slinked away from iOS to try Android Whatever Candy It Is This Month, I've always gone back to iOS after a few months. Why are you shying away from iOS?

Offline dante

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 11:48:27 »
Every time I have slinked away from iOS to try Android Whatever Candy It Is This Month, I've always gone back to iOS after a few months. Why are you shying away from iOS?

Not necessarily sure to be honest.  I've heard of complaints with speaker placement on the i-Pad air; also on the current i-Pad we own there have been issues with it automatically pushing music to the cloud without given permission.

It's kind of like Linux - you sort of need a new distro to play around with every once in a while or it gets stale.

After researching the above Galaxy Tab S - this will likely be the replacement.  In almost all the reviews it beats the Air in some way.

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 11:51:08 »

Not necessarily sure to be honest.  I've heard of complaints with speaker placement on the i-Pad air; also on the current i-Pad we own there have been issues with it automatically pushing music to the cloud without given permission.

It's kind of like Linux - you sort of need a new distro to play around with every once in a while or it gets stale.
Hmm. I have an iPad Air and haven't had issues with the speaker placement. Then again, the speaker isn't really a selling point for me. It's just there to make some noise, not sound great. Also never had an issue with the music thing.

And yeah, I check out Android about every six months to see if I would enjoy it. Every time I find little things I like, but largely find it still clumsy and not for me. Also, the store is really, really awkward. I never got the appeal.

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 13:33:50 »

Hmm. I have an iPad Air and haven't had issues with the speaker placement. Then again, the speaker isn't really a selling point for me. It's just there to make some noise, not sound great. Also never had an issue with the music thing.

And yeah, I check out Android about every six months to see if I would enjoy it. Every time I find little things I like, but largely find it still clumsy and not for me. Also, the store is really, really awkward. I never got the appeal.

I never got the appeal from the Apple Store and I've had quite a few Apple devices myself. Technology is as prone to preferences as keyboards are, if not more so.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 13:38:31 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 September 2015, 10:45:49 by esoomenona »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 13:54:33 »
ffs dante its iPad not i dash pad
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 16:50:59 »
doesn't buying a $500 iPad defeat part of the purpose of buying an iPad?

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 06:58:48 »

I've read that a dozen times in my head and it still doesn't make sense to me. Are you saying that <$500 doesn't get you the iPad experience?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 18:10:47 »

I've read that a dozen times in my head and it still doesn't make sense to me. Are you saying that <$500 doesn't get you the iPad experience?

Sorry, I was implying that there are a vast variety of comparable non-Apple brands for far less than $500, and part of the reason folks buy Apple products for that price is the branding.
Worded it weird :( In fact it doesn't make sense when I read it either...

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 04:03:59 »

Sorry, I was implying that there are a vast variety of comparable non-Apple brands for far less than $500, and part of the reason folks buy Apple products for that price is the branding.

If branding also translates to "what's trending these days," then I agree. It's too bad their best feature is their exterior build design. Buying an Apple product is like buying a Ferrari with a four-cylinder engine--it looks expensive and fancy as hell, but it can't do anything that your Camry can't already do.

Offline dante

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 15:32:54 »
To add fuel to the fire Apple is getting ready to announce revisions to their products - including a rumored 12" ipad.

I hate buying gifts!!

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 13:03:29 »

If branding also translates to "what's trending these days," then I agree. It's too bad their best feature is their exterior build design. Buying an Apple product is like buying a Ferrari with a four-cylinder engine--it looks expensive and fancy as hell, but it can't do anything that your Camry can't already do.

You wouldn't like a Bricklin or Delorean too much....
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 13:20:42 »
To add fuel to the fire Apple is getting ready to announce revisions to their products - including a rumored 12" ipad.

I hate buying gifts!!

if you're invested in the iOS marketplace, i wouldn't switch
you'll have to reinvest in the android marketplace unless you're gonna pirate.

This being said, remember iOS is the #1 market platform for mobile right now, everything seems to release on iOS 1st, then android.
there are a few games still not available on android that's on iOS only.

I had a bunch of android tablets, weird scaling issues and some crashes made me just get fed up and got an ipad mini.  granted this was 2 years ago and i tried the Xoom, TF700, and Galaxy Tab.  I now have an ipad air and its my go to tablet.  For simple stuff, i'll use my Asus MeMo 7, but gaming and reading comics is all about the ipad air for me.

Offline dante

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 13:45:39 »
Well last night I picked up the 32gb Samsung Galaxy Tab S from BestBuy.  I also got a gift receipt with it so if she doesn't like it - well no hard feelings :D  Will be giving it to her next week...

She is not a heavy App person - mostly streams Tv - fantasy football off webpages - etc.  I know she will keep the original Ipad so she can play a game on one tablet while watching Tv on another :)

Either way - unless she has strong feelings - we'll probably skip the current Air and may rotate the next iPad in depending on the Specs.  I don't own a tablet yet but have been keeping an eye on the Nexus 9.

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 02:19:22 »

You wouldn't like a Bricklin or Delorean too much....

Oh god no. I'd hate on that **** so hard.

Well last night I picked up the 32gb Samsung Galaxy Tab S from BestBuy.  I also got a gift receipt with it so if she doesn't like it - well no hard feelings :D  Will be giving it to her next week...

She is not a heavy App person - mostly streams Tv - fantasy football off webpages - etc.  I know she will keep the original Ipad so she can play a game on one tablet while watching Tv on another :)

Either way - unless she has strong feelings - we'll probably skip the current Air and may rotate the next iPad in depending on the Specs.  I don't own a tablet yet but have been keeping an eye on the Nexus 9.

I hope she's slightly tech-savvy. If she's never used Android before, it might take some time to adjust. Crossing my fingers that she hasn't unknowingly become an Apple-Head.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 02:28:25 »
My wife's birthday is coming up and I'd like to replace her non-Air 9"-10"(?) OG I-Pad with something else.
What kind of time-frame are we talking about? Apple has a media event this upcoming week, where they’ll maybe (probably?) announce new iPad models.

You can probably either get whatever new shiny thing they announce, or else get the previous generation iPad Air at reduced price after the announcements. Either way it’ll blow her previous iPad out of the water.

If she already has an iPad, assuming she has bought any apps, it would probably be a pain in the ass to switch to Android.

Offline dante

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 19:59:22 »
Conclusion:

The wife loves the Tab S.  Was worried because I heard of complaints that the audio isn't bass-ey enough - but it sounds fine to our ears.

Also read of reviews saying the fingerprint scanner doesn't work well but so far so good.

Thanks for the help guys!

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 07:30:53 »
Conclusion:

The wife loves the Tab S.  Was worried because I heard of complaints that the audio isn't bass-ey enough - but it sounds fine to our ears.

Also read of reviews saying the fingerprint scanner doesn't work well but so far so good.

Thanks for the help guys!

Glad the wife likes it =p