Poll

Which profile would you prefer for Deep Space keyset? Select all that apply.

DSA
DCS
SA (profile TBD if selected)

Author Topic: [IC] DEEP SPACE - Now a GB (& Keycap Giveaway!)  (Read 76659 times)

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
[IC] DEEP SPACE - Now a GB (& Keycap Giveaway!)
« on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 16:58:36 »
NEW DEEP SPACE INTEREST CHECK - NOW AVAILABLE AS A GROUP BUY!!!

*GROUP BUY LINK*

GROUP BUY GEEKHACK THREAD (Check out my Custom Keycap Giveaway!)
Please refer to the GB thread, or feel free to PM me, for all new comments and inquires!

We made it! Thank you guys for all the help and support. I would not have made it to this point without it :)

For older updates and original post, click
More
:
Allllrighty! Got some prices and have some updates.

I had a couple complaints about 60% users having to shell out for a full modifiers kit so I've decided to try and set this up with a Base Mods kit being the keys needs to complete a 60% board and then added a pack that finished out 100% kits. The price is the same ($60 for all or $40/$20 split up), just with a break for those who want this as 60% without paying for the extra keys. Also, I inverted Ergodox as I had several requests for that as well.

Quotes received include the cost of the custom legends rolled into the Core kit so that the novelties are affordable. This will be the most effective way to lower costs all around. I'm planning the MOQ of the core kit at 50 and will get some quotes for smaller quantities on some of the child packs.

Kits I'm still considering - International, WASD kit, win kit,

And where I'm at now!! ::

::UPDATE 5::
Made it to 100 on PMK! HOORRRRAAAAAYY!!!! So excited! :D
I'm going to go ahead and call it on the profile poll so I can post details on PMK. It looks like the DSA's have it! Which works well as DSA will allow for the most customization.

::UPDATE 4::
PMK Interest check is LIVE! Can we tip it!? CLICK HERE & VOTE TO TIP FOR GROUP BUY!
I just want to say, I have received wonderful suggestions and support for these designs and if the novelties tip & are created I am willing to share the rights with a prominent GH community member 100%! So if someone wants to run different colors or glow in the dark or something they can. I'm not in this for anything but the end result and the experience!! I had not even considered the technicality of user rights on legends until I read several threads on here - at the end of the day, I just want to see this through to fruition and share it with community that helped me create it! :D

::UPDATE 3:: Added Planck set / replaced images with updated planetary
icons
::UPDATE 2:: (original post and first update at bottom)

Alright! Added homing set and a purple planetary pack. I also updated the colors a bit. After comparing several sets and using the Desk Authority guide, I've selected GTA as the grey and BO for the blue. I feel those colors will print closest to what I'm going for and the rendering should display them quite accurately.

Originally, I intended to use the Sun for the Escape key and the 9 planets would correspond with 1-9. I added a few more novelty keys though to improve customization.
Material - ABS
Colors - GTA | RDE | BO
Profile - DSA

So far, Deep Space includes:
1 Core Kit (alphas, GTA w/RDE legends) | 2 modifier options - Orion (RDE) & Polaris (BO) | Core Numpad | 2 Adder options - Orion & Polaris | Planetary Pack | Ergodox | ISO | Adapter Kit (Tsangan/Winkeyless) | Stripes |  Extra Homing (Dvorak/Planck) | Extra Spacebar options - 6u . 6.25u, 6.5u | Planck | JD40

::UPDATE 1::
I've added an image with all the kits I have created so far including a Tsangan/Winkeyless "adapter" kit, some space bar options, and a few other goodies.  If I've left anything out please let me know! I've tried to cover my bases but there is a lot of info out there.
I haven't decided on profile entirely. I went with DSA to get quotes and make sure the pricing and designs were viable but I am working on getting quotes on SA profile too.

**I will be getting new quotes and asking Signature Plastics about profiles after I get feedback!

::ORIGINAL POST::
Hello all!!
I have been working on this set for a while that combines my love of space, design, and purple!
Deep Space allows for a lot of customization and color combinations as well as some new Planet themed designs (Pluto included!)

I've spoken with Melissa at signature plastics to refine my design, get quotes and make sure the set is doable. Now, it's up to you guys to decide if it's worthy of being made.

So far, this is quoted for DSA - ABS - Doubleshot,  but I am open to input still for profiles! If I could figure out how to do a poll, I would make one for DCS, SA and DSA to see what is most popular.
I'll get more info on the sets that aren't quoted yet and I'll make a Tsangan, a Winkeyless and a few others if there is enough interest.

Original photos can be found here

Thanks! I hope you all like the set!  :thumb:

-Booper
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 November 2014, 02:59:04 by Booper »
omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline ConscienceDrop

• a-are these pbt?
Re: NEW Deep Space interest check
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 17:01:04 »
OH boy,

this will cost me money.

Edit: the ONLY thing I have in terms of criticism is the stars in the mod and deepspace packs; they look a little cut and paste-ish, like they were not made for this set and that makes it look a little cheap. maybe consider doing them as just the outline of a star like the planets.

just a thought.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 October 2014, 17:03:31 by ConscienceDrop »

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 17:04:17 »
I'm digging the colors.  No winkeyless mods?  1.5x control and alt?  7x spacebar?

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 17:05:35 »
What mount(s) do you propose to offer?

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 17:11:19 »
OH boy,

this will cost me money.

Edit: the ONLY thing I have in terms of criticism is the stars in the mod and deepspace packs; they look a little cut and paste-ish, like they were not made for this set and that makes it look a little cheap. maybe consider doing them as just the outline of a star like the planets.

just a thought.

Thanks! I've been going back and forth on that one. I have some earlier versions that are all outline. It does seem to match better with the rest of the illustrations.

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 17:12:02 »
What mount(s) do you propose to offer?

Cherry MX

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 17:13:11 »
That looks pretty sweet. Probably in for one!

Edit: I would prefer SA profile over DSA.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 October 2014, 17:29:53 by Heliosphere »

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 17:14:43 »
I'm digging the colors.  No winkeyless mods?  1.5x control and alt?  7x spacebar?

I'll make a Tsangan, a Winkeyless and a few others if there is enough interest in the design!

Offline SlotH42

• one slow step for sloth
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 17:21:27 »
Great colors... better start saving my money now!
MP-GBL4 (red) Poker II (clears) Realforce R2TL 55g

Offline ConscienceDrop

• a-are these pbt?
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 17:36:27 »
OH boy,

this will cost me money.

just a thought.

Thanks! I've been going back and forth on that one. I have some earlier versions that are all outline. It does seem to match better with the rest of the illustrations.
Show Image

to my eye this looks much nicer because it does not break uniform with all the other images on different keys.

Offline Moralless

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 18:04:30 »
Love the look of the base set with Orion mods  :D can't wait to get my hands on this set!  :thumb:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 18:04:36 »
I like the color scheme but I've had enough of DSA sets lately
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline abandoner

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 18:08:17 »
I'm pretty intrigued  :eek: Worst case I'd snag at least the planetary pack.

What do you think about using RDA instead for the purple?

Offline graefeln

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 18:12:47 »
I am digging the look - if a winkeyless set is made and I have money at the time, I am all for it.

Offline Data

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 18:36:34 »
Neat. I'd be down for a set of those novelties.

My only feedback is that Saturn's rings should be more prominent.

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 19:10:47 »

I worry it would turn out too light/magenta. I tried it first but ended up liking the deeper RDE as the RDA is pretty powerful against the other colors. With the blue inside it, the RDA almost hurts my eyes.
example -

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 19:30:55 »
I would totally be in this, if you could make the real caps sparkle like the background :D

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline kitsun8

• In need of some cash
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 19:34:57 »
looks great! 1 suggestion is to have text modifiers such as an fn and menu key in place of the star.

Offline calvinhousecat

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 20:15:35 »
What a beauty!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 20:27:07 »
Please please please make this SA or DCS. I really love the colors but I'm not into DSA at all.

Offline scubaste

Re: [IC] NEW Deep Space interest check
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 20:34:54 »
I'm going to suggest making a poll to determine the interest on each profile option. You know I'll support this group buy Booper. :thumb:

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 21:02:30 »
I really like the color scheme in this set! I would almost definitely place an order for the common kit as well as both the orion and polaris mod packs.

Any chance of offering a colored number row pack? Similar to the toxic stripe from the toxic group buy. I like how the blue/purple number row looks but would prefer actual numbers over the planetary icons.

Also, my vote would be for DSA profile.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 October 2014, 21:20:57 by strict »

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline scubaste

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 21:08:26 »

Any chance of offering a colored number row pack? Similar to the toxic stripe from the toxic group buy. I like how the blue/purple number row looks but would prefer actual numbers over the planetary icons.

I like this idea. I think it would be nice to have the planetary kit on a separate numpad, and maintain numerals on my main board.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 21:10:20 »
This looks great! I would personally prefer a R3 SA profile, would look very nice, especially on 60%'s.

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 02:57:17 »
Hey Guys! I made a few tweaks and I added an "Adapter Kit" which should cover Tsangan and Winkeyless. If I missed anything, or if any of the child packs are wrong please let me know!

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 03:09:53 »
Hey Guys! I made a few tweaks and I added an "Adapter Kit" which should cover Tsangan and Winkeyless. If I missed anything, or if any of the child packs are wrong please let me know!

Adapter kit. :thumb:

I don't know how others feel but if there's going to 1u novelty key with the winkeyless kit, can it be the astronaut instead of the star?  Seen stars in other sets and the astronaut feels more unique to this set.

Offline kebby

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 04:13:59 »
Looks amazingly good and it's nice to see something other than blanks in the dox kit. If there's one thing I could have, it would be different modifier legends, I'd prefer no references to Windows on my keys and super/hyper/meta instead of the regulars would be nice. That's just a small thing though. It's beautiful.

Offline okwchin

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 04:53:51 »
The number row replacement is cute. The star and blanks are less fitting though. As per an earlier comment, and possibly the edits, it looks nicer with the outline of the star.

Thinking of suggestions for the "0/9" , "-/_" and "=/+" keys, rather than a blank, could you use something that would signify the following

"0" = asteroid belt
"-" = 1 star (smaller if required). Could be outline or cross shaped depending on size and shape.
"=" = 2 stars (or 3) (smaller if required). Stars could be crosses, or actual stars, some outlined, some solid if smaller.

This allows you to fill the blanks so it doesn't look lost, (imo), and sort of makes sense too.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 07:15:22 »

Looks great! Thanks for adding the number row stripe pack!  :thumb:

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 07:38:59 »
I would definitely suggest setting up a JD40 and Planck set, since there will be a bunch of people in the near future needing caps for the JD40 and the Planck interest check is currently under way. Also an extra homing kit for those that don't use qwerty, including non-homed F and J keys

Also my vote is for DSA.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline graefeln

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 07:53:11 »

Adapter kit. :thumb:

I don't know how others feel but if there's going to 1u novelty key with the winkeyless kit, can it be the astronaut instead of the star?  Seen stars in other sets and the astronaut feels more unique to this set.

I support this, especially if a star is going to be used in place of +/= (on the planetary pack); I also agree with the person who suggested that star be changed though. While I don't have much of a problem with the two blank keys in front of it, it would be nice if that star wasn't the same as the 1u modifier stars. Perhaps a key with 2-3 smaller stars would work.

Since you're getting the astronaut with the planetary pack, it is easy enough to use those instead of the star with +/=, but some may not like it (I do) and it seems like an easy-ish change.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 October 2014, 07:55:47 by graefeln »

Offline Zebadule

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 09:17:14 »
How about an alternate homing keys pack? If you end up running in a uniform profile key set, it's pretty cheap and may bring in a few more buyers.

Edit: Removed my second suggestion because I got a better look at the set. I'm still a bit worried about the contrast between the keys and the legends, but it may look better in person.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 October 2014, 10:56:25 by Zebadule »

Offline honoka

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 09:44:07 »
Oh I like this :)
If (I'm hoping) this is going to be in DSA please make blanks available. I'd rather use blank alphas then have the wrong letters since I'm in sweden.

Offline ConscienceDrop

• a-are these pbt?
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 09:57:46 »
Another option for the blank keys after the planets is a satellite/ space ship/ UFO. It would be kinda cute and currently the blank space looks weird IMHO. Also as an above poster said, the repetition of the start in number row and modifier seems weird.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 10:43:05 »
Love the colors, if the homing keys are deep dish would a dvorak kit be possible.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline 3Love

• Bumpino Supremo
  • I want to become a great collector. Greedy!!!
    • https://geekhack.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=6mku80optnk6uschnbv811dbevcalctp&topic=63161.0
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 12:04:44 »
Looks like so funny. I am interesting about it.
I♥Keyboard  I♥Clack  I♥Brobot  I♥Hammer
                          I♥♥♥friends 
【WTB/WTTF】https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63161.0

KBD Collection: 356CL, 356.2, 356DGE, Koala, 356MINI, 356N, 356N-MK2, 356PAD, 360C, 456GT, FMJ, LZ-MXSE, LZ-RE, KMAC 1.0, KPAD, Duck Orion, Duck Pad, Exo, TEX and etc.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 12:06:27 »
Love the colors, if the homing keys are deep dish would a dvorak kit be possible.

I suggested this too, but mainly cause I want normal F and J keys xD
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 12:07:55 »
THIS IS AWESOME!

Colour me interested, I would purchase this 100%.

Love the planets number row.

I think a spiral galaxy symbol would look great as the ESC key.

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 12:10:47 »
Is there any chance of getting the planet pack with the purple base and blue icons? I want some purple astronaut keys!
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 14:58:55 »
I'm down with this set! I agree with a lot of the comments here about the winkeyless options as well as the copy paste look of some keys. I would definitely do what mito did and get a strong foundation by getting lots of feed back before moving forward. Also I would say just be aware of timing because wallets are probably pretty strapped for cash with the last 2 months or so of group buys. Just my 2 cents though.

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 17:35:29 »
I'm down with this set! I agree with a lot of the comments here about the winkeyless options as well as the copy paste look of some keys. I would definitely do what mito did and get a strong foundation by getting lots of feed back before moving forward. Also I would say just be aware of timing because wallets are probably pretty strapped for cash with the last 2 months or so of group buys. Just my 2 cents though.

I should have some edits/updates this evening. Good point about timing and everyone's cash flow at the moment, I believe we will do something similar to MiTo and run a tentative one month interest check and one month group buy.

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 17:36:54 »
Is there any chance of getting the planet pack with the purple base and blue icons? I want some purple astronaut keys!

No problem, I'll add that this evening.

Offline abandoner

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 18:35:22 »

I worry it would turn out too light/magenta. I tried it first but ended up liking the deeper RDE as the RDA is pretty powerful against the other colors. With the blue inside it, the RDA almost hurts my eyes.
example -
Show Image

Good point, the blue would need to change too for that to work out well.

My wallet is ready  :thumb:

Offline anne

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 20:58:51 »
I'm glad someone's working on a keyset idea with RDE! Do you think it would veer too far away from your concept if the blue shade had more contrast with the purple?  I'm thinking something like BFT which would also look great with your gray and your orange.  IMO, it would make the legends easier to read.

I think DSA looks great.

Offline obtxo

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 21:51:51 »
I need to buy this set.

Offline okwchin

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 22:53:31 »
A collection of thoughts....

I agree with earlier posts about the escape being a galaxy, that would look cool. Right now, the symbol looks to me like "missing image" haha.

I would personally though, be using the sun on my 60% as the esc/~ key, and the planets in their respective order with relation to the number row.

Would still love to see the last ones, being something to do with asteroids, asteroid belt, or small stars to provide some visual completion to the number row.

Also feel that a purple set will make it a themed colour set, as I would likely be going a single colour - blue or purple.

Would the alphas look good in black, with the light blue for the legends? preserving that space look?

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 23:04:31 »
I would buy this if it is DCS or similar. Would not buy if DSA and probably wouldn't if it is SA (too high and looks dumb on smaller boards).

Design wise I like it. Make the esc key more planetary and less No. Make the space helmet a little more refined. Other than those very minor suggestions, looks awesome!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 23:05:08 »
Forgot to say:  would be very cool if you added a glow in the dark pack of planets.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 00:09:29 »
A collection of thoughts....

I agree with earlier posts about the escape being a galaxy, that would look cool. Right now, the symbol looks to me like "missing image" haha.

I would personally though, be using the sun on my 60% as the esc/~ key, and the planets in their respective order with relation to the number row.

Would still love to see the last ones, being something to do with asteroids, asteroid belt, or small stars to provide some visual completion to the number row.

Also feel that a purple set will make it a themed colour set, as I would likely be going a single colour - blue or purple.

Would the alphas look good in black, with the light blue for the legends? preserving that space look?

Awesome feedback! Thanks!

Originally I intended to have the sun for the escape and then 9 planets as 1-9 numbers with the blank key at "0" to signify space/nothingness? ha. Also, that made 12 legends which seemed like a good, even number. I don't want to get too crazy with the new legends (more $$!). 

However - I just added a Galaxy-esque key to solve some of those problems! I may still tweak the design though since I have a few galaxy styles I made to choose from.

I'm hoping it will all be pretty "keyed" when printed and I'd really prefer the purple legends. "Pulse" just came out as well and it had that blue/black feel.

I updated the grey to GTA which is what is used in Calm Depths. Colors are pretty difficult to pin down because the printed keysets look a bit different to the eye than the swatches.

If it makes it through interest checks, I may add a purple Alpha set.

Thanks again! I'm working on updating my post now so check back and see what ya think :)

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 00:10:48 »

I'm a big fan of the light alphas with purple legends.
Planck w/ Zealios