Poll

Which profile would you prefer for Deep Space keyset? Select all that apply.

DSA
DCS
SA (profile TBD if selected)

Author Topic: [IC] DEEP SPACE - Now a GB (& Keycap Giveaway!)  (Read 76440 times)

Offline concept73

Re: [IC] NEW Deep Space set - IC Live on PMK! :)
« Reply #200 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 12:37:17 »
Interested in a jd40
Poker 2 with reds
Soon to be a JD40 with reds

Offline tribade

« Reply #201 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 14:25:57 »
Really nice looking set!  I really like the way you have it looking in the mock-up, however I was wondering about the inverted return key.  Would we have to buy the Orion set as well just to get that one key or would it be added to the planetary pack?  It would be a pain to have to buy another set of mods just for the return key.  Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere in the thread.
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline Sagii

• Time to bust some nails
« Reply #202 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 15:20:37 »
Been lurking this thread since it started now.. Just wanted to comment with my two cents and compliments! You seem like an insanely awesome person, and straight up good guy. If you keep this up, this will end up being my first ever keyset GB :)
Wasn't really planning on getting anything in the "near" future, but you might've changed my not so decisive mind, mate!

Keep it up, you're doing great ^.^

EDIT: ... oh, and the keyset looks good too. :))
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 15:22:16 by Sagii »

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #203 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 15:30:05 »
*snippy sauce*

I just wanted to give you props, Booper.  For being a newer member, you're incredibly open to suggestions and quite receptive to criticism.  You're also putting in a lot of the leg work by educating yourself to make sure you cross all your T's and dot all your I's.  It's awesome to see this, honestly.  This is a great attitude to have and makes me want to support this buy even more.

+1.  I concur.  You're so incredibly helpful and teachable at the same time.  Color me impressed.  Which puts me in a dilemma.  I told myself I would only buy this if it was DCS or similar profile, and it's DSA.  However, I really really want to support this and love what you've done with it, so I'll probably get a set anyway.

December- January would be ideal for me, any earlier I'm not sure if my wallet can take too much more.
 you have outdone yourself with this set. my roommate is thinking about buying a mechanical keyboard specifically for this set... you are converting people Booper. ;)

>.< !! As someone who is generally a lurker and a nervous participator, the encouragement in this thread has really helped me get this set together! I didn't know if anyone would be into it at all and now I have a chance of having it made XD How cool would it be to have a reminder of such a great, fun, community experience at my fingertips everyday? I thank YOU GUYS for the encouragement, information, and the welcome I've found here :D :D
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 15:39:11 by Booper »
omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #204 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 15:31:06 »
Really nice looking set!  I really like the way you have it looking in the mock-up, however I was wondering about the inverted return key.  Would we have to buy the Orion set as well just to get that one key or would it be added to the planetary pack?  It would be a pain to have to buy another set of mods just for the return key.  Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere in the thread.

Haha, i noticed that after someone pointed it out on r/MK. In my next update, I will include it with the planetary packs!

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #205 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 15:35:27 »

Haha, i noticed that after someone pointed it out on r/MK. In my next update, I will include it with the planetary packs!

Oh sweet. Glad to hear it. I never really realized how much I wanted it until Tri pointed it out lol
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #206 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 16:19:38 »
I would love to see a WASD kit included somewhere. Perhaps a yellow with purple font WASD? Maybe it could be included with the Planetary Pack?

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline kebby

« Reply #207 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 17:46:56 »
I would love to see a WASD kit included somewhere. Perhaps a yellow with purple font WASD? Maybe it could be included with the Planetary Pack?

How about a IJKL/HJKL set too? That'd be something I've not seen before. IJKL for those that are doing their heavy hauling on the lovely text editor vi/vim.  What about HJKL... well I use it and it's apparently also the default in neovim. :)

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #208 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 18:22:53 »
Thank you guys for the feedback! It's always appreciated and helpful.

Here's a few things-

1 - I added several packs in a short while and a lot of the newer keyboards, I must admit, I don't know a ton about. I am accumulating feedback for a few days and then will post a new round of edits!

2 - I am waiting to hear back from Melissa on a few things. Once I make some edits and get my kits where I want them, I'll ask her for some quotes. New legends wont be cheap... BUT you get several new custom themed novelty keys!!

*Last I was quoted, the planetary pack would be an additional $21.60 if only 25 keysets sold. I don't know how this will change for all that I have now. If you look at the bottom of my OP, you can see an album with original quotes.

3 - I originally had standard "ctrl" "alt" "win" keys, but I thought the "super" "hyper" "meta" was cool as it's a tip of the hat to the the Space Cadet set which kinda works with the theme. This is an idea I was going back and forth on and I will address it by making some changes or adding a win pack.

I need to figure out what exists already for legends. I created my current alternate sets from references that I know exist so I can save $$, but I will look into more specifics to improve consistency.

I want to get this all correct and with so many pieces, it's easy for me to overlook details. As always, please continue to let me know if you see anything off or wrong! 

..And I'm waiting to hear back from Melissa :)
Good catch.

I would think it's a good idea to have the meta, super type keys as an addon set.

Consistency is important.

Hopefully, we can get options for mods that have text as well as symbols.

I might be aging for to much.

I'll add that you are doing a good job, Booper. Answering all the questions and concerns.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #209 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 18:53:28 »
Amen to that -- everything seems to be going smoothly so far.

The mockup has a purple-on-yellow key that I don't see colour codes for. I'm assuming the purple is the same RDE, but I don't see a colour code for the yellow anywhere.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #210 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 09:41:38 »
Dam, so many votes :D looking forward to this GB!

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #211 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 11:19:07 »
Set is looking great!

The only other thing I would like to see is a set of blank alphas/mods for the JD40, so I can run the planet stripe across the top. I would also prefer blanks so I can change my layout without having legends on that don't correspond to anything.

JD40 sets might not tip if there are two I suppose, so just a thought to consider. If it's too much trouble to do blank JD40 mods, then I would love to see a blank alpha set!

Also, just a question about the JD40 set, the mods are going to say super, hyper, meta, etc, correct? I'm guessing they will, and you just haven't gotten around to changing the image yet. I would much rather have super/hyper/meta over the standard ctrl/alt/win.

Thanks for all the hard work you're doing to bring us this lovely set OP!  :thumb:

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #212 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 11:24:07 »
Also, just a question about the JD40 set, the mods are going to say super, hyper, meta, etc, correct? I'm guessing they will, and you just haven't gotten around to changing the image yet. I would much rather have super/hyper/meta over the standard ctrl/alt/win.

Putting my vote in for ctrl alt win

Planck w/ Zealios

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #213 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 19:29:45 »
Set is looking great!

The only other thing I would like to see is a set of blank alphas/mods for the JD40, so I can run the planet stripe across the top. I would also prefer blanks so I can change my layout without having legends on that don't correspond to anything.

JD40 sets might not tip if there are two I suppose, so just a thought to consider. If it's too much trouble to do blank JD40 mods, then I would love to see a blank alpha set!

Thanks for all the hard work you're doing to bring us this lovely set OP!  :thumb:

Hello! Thanks for the input. :) I am planning on offering blank keys individually like this buy! so you can get as many blanks as you need for whatever you'd like. I am not sure on super, hyper, meta. I'm thinking about keeping it and making a traditional pack for win keys but I am not sure yet.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #214 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 07:29:37 »
Costwise, it would be great if you add a polaris and orion 60 kits. No many left overs for people just requiring that basic kit.

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #215 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 10:42:39 »
Set is looking great!

Hello! Thanks for the input. :) I am planning on offering blank keys individually like this buy! so you can get as many blanks as you need for whatever you'd like. I am not sure on super, hyper, meta. I'm thinking about keeping it and making a traditional pack for win keys but I am not sure yet.

Ah, excellent! :) Individual blanks would be great.

I think a separate traditional mod pack would be a good idea to keep everyone happy.  :thumb:

Thanks for answering my questions, I'm looking forward to picking up this set when the time comes.

Cheers!

Boards:

Offline kebby

« Reply #216 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 11:08:54 »

I think a separate traditional mod pack would be a good idea to keep everyone happy.  :thumb:

The non-Windows modifiers have my backing too. Having a boring... uh.. I mean traditional mod pack sounds like a good solution. I'd prefer it this way, but I guess the other way around would work if it's very much desired.

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #217 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 11:20:36 »
I am planning on offering blank keys individually like this buy! so you can get as many blanks as you need for whatever you'd like.

One more question from me, just wondering if you will offer blanks in white, blue, and purple? Or are you going to go with a single colour?

Thanks again!  :thumb:

The non-Windows modifiers have my backing too. Having a boring... uh.. I mean traditional mod pack sounds like a good solution. I'd prefer it this way, but I guess the other way around would work if it's very much desired.

I would be fine with having it the other way around too, if that's what the group prefers.

Boards:

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #218 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 15:16:56 »
Damn booper over 200 votes on pmk! Keep it up! What is the status with SP? Anything from Melissa about production being impacted? I really hope this goes live near the middle/end of november!

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #219 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 15:25:51 »
Booper feel free to just totally squash this idea. It's just a crazy idea. And as the manager/creator of this, you have authority over what happens. So it's up to you. And I promise I won't bring this up again for Deep Space.

This GB looks like it will be hugely successful. I mean totally blowing away the MOQ for every kit. There was a reasonable amount of interest in some of the other profiles.  Is there a chance you would consider splitting it up to two profiles?  I don't think it would really change the prices of the original profile much, but could help out some of the folks interested in one of the less popular profiles.  Seems like everyone would win. And, if there are folks who aren't buying because the don't like the profile, this might get them on board.

Again, you're the organizer so it's up to you. Thanks for your stellar work.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #220 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 15:44:43 »
Damn booper over 200 votes on pmk! Keep it up! What is the status with SP? Anything from Melissa about production being impacted? I really hope this goes live near the middle/end of november!

Hi! haha, Thanks!
I'm trying to catch up on some real work and then I'm going to dive back into this! Last I checked with Melissa, I had sent the latest tweaks on some novelties to make sure they are 100% CNC compatible.
I will contact her soon though to get some new estimates from my current setup and will build/arrange things accordingly! I'm aiming for this to be a 30 day GB that starts mid-late november but it's going to depend on what SP wants to do.

More info to come soon!

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #221 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 15:46:16 »
I'm looking forward to all the new info you have for us.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #222 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 15:56:20 »
Booper feel free to just totally squash this idea. It's just a crazy idea. And as the manager/creator of this, you have authority over what happens. So it's up to you. And I promise I won't bring this up again for Deep Space.

This GB looks like it will be hugely successful. I mean totally blowing away the MOQ for every kit. There was a reasonable amount of interest in some of the other profiles.  Is there a chance you would consider splitting it up to two profiles?  I don't think it would really change the prices of the original profile much, but could help out some of the folks interested in one of the less popular profiles.  Seems like everyone would win. And, if there are folks who aren't buying because the don't like the profile, this might get them on board.

Again, you're the organizer so it's up to you. Thanks for your stellar work.

Thank you! I still can't believe all the interest, I just hope it sticks around for the actual GB!

and to answer your question - I've actually wondered about doing DSA and SA. Like, can I offer two profiles in one buy? or would it be 2 interest checks? I would have to have new legends printed for both profiles.. etc.

I think, ultimately, sticking with one profile is the thing to do for now. I want to make sure everything tips and goes smoothly and everyone likes their sets -
and then I'll probably do an interest check on alternate profile version sometime next year (or let someone else do it if they want!)

But I don't want to get too far ahead of myself on this run! :/

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #223 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 16:16:40 »
I would think you would have to run another buy to get the SA, but I wouldn't know for certain.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #224 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 16:19:46 »
I would think you would have to run another buy to get the SA, but I wouldn't know for certain.

Yea, I think you are right! I'm just going to do DSA this run and maybe do an alternate profile round later if all goes well

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #225 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 16:31:49 »

Yea, I think you are right! I'm just going to do DSA this run and maybe do an alternate profile round later if all goes well

This is what others have done in the past.  No reason to fix what ain't broke.

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #226 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 16:36:41 »

This is what others have done in the past.  No reason to fix what ain't broke.

Offline calvinhousecat

« Reply #227 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 18:33:07 »
I'm not aware on how SP interest checks work but how much longer until this goes up for group buys?

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #228 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 18:58:11 »
I'm not aware on how SP interest checks work but how much longer until this goes up for group buys?

Hi! I don't know exactly when this will turn into a group buy yet, but it will be no sooner than 11/11. The details will be up to SP - if they are backed up it may take longer to turn into a buy

Offline kitsun8

• In need of some cash
« Reply #229 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 03:08:52 »

Hi! I don't know exactly when this will turn into a group buy yet, but it will be no sooner than 11/11. The details will be up to SP - if they are backed up it may take longer to turn into a buy

awh man that's such a long time :(

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #230 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 03:19:21 »

It's not that bad.  It's much quicker than a lot of other stuff on GH. :))

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #231 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 04:15:44 »

Well it's  a good thing  for me :D
Now I can spare some cash!

Offline Yslen

« Reply #232 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 15:47:07 »
I'm definitely in for this :)

Offline Alex528

• HELLO YES I LIKE CLICKY KEYBOARD YES VERY NICE
« Reply #233 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 15:41:20 »
For the example with the purple mods and the blue planetary pack, It says it only uses the orion mods. Does this mean we get the blue enter key in the blue planetary pack, too? It's not pictured.

Poker 2, SP PBT DSA, MX Blues.

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #234 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 17:04:55 »
For the example with the purple mods and the blue planetary pack, It says it only uses the orion mods. Does this mean we get the blue enter key in the blue planetary pack, too? It's not pictured.

Yea, I am putting the return key in with the planetary packs!

--

I finally got an OK on my designs from Melissa.. so that's cool.
I've added a couple sets and refined some things and I sent that info to Melissa recently for quotes. I'm looking into 2 options to figure out the best way to efficiently distribute the cost of the custom legends.
I will post updates on all that as soon as I hear back from SP
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 October 2014, 17:42:14 by Booper »

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #235 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 17:57:19 »

Yea, I am putting the return key in with the planetary packs!

--

I finally got an OK on my designs from Melissa.. so that's cool.
I've added a couple sets and refined some things and I sent that info to Melissa recently for quotes. I'm looking into 2 options to figure out the best way to efficiently distribute the cost of the custom legends.
I will post updates on all that as soon as I hear back from SP

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #236 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 18:17:44 »
Here are the approved novelty designs! Pretty much the same as my last OP update. I know this isn't as exciting for others maybe as for me, but making sure I could even get these created, and in double shot, was my biggest concern from the start.. SO YAY!

« Last Edit: Tue, 28 October 2014, 18:21:13 by Booper »

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #237 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 18:40:55 »
The astronaut is still my favorite :P
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline kitsun8

• In need of some cash
« Reply #238 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 03:21:32 »
+1

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #239 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 03:29:25 »

Yeah, astrobro is pretty cool.

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #240 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 05:09:23 »
Any plans for a gamer kit? I would love to see a WASD/ESC set with yellow or orange keys.

Boards:

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #241 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 04:23:10 »
Should I get the purple orion mods, or the blue polaris mods? I feel the blue with purple legends will match the alphas better, but the purple keys are so intense!

Offline ptramo

Re: [IC] NEW Deep Space set + PROFILE POLL!
« Reply #242 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 03:17:48 »
Planck Set! Let me know if it's not correct and I'll fix it :)
Show Image

Yeah that is correct!  :thumb:
And here is a picture of the original setup by the creator of the Planck Keyboard:
Show Image

Well technically speaking I'd be the creator of the Planck, and my setup is on http://thumbs.club/ ; however Jack Humbert is the designer of the PCB and main driver for the project ;)

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #243 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 03:23:04 »

Planck Set! Let me know if it's not correct and I'll fix it :)
Show Image

Yeah that is correct!  :thumb:
And here is a picture of the original setup by the creator of the Planck Keyboard:
Show Image

Well technically speaking I'd be the creator of the Planck, and my setup is on http://thumbs.club/ ; however Jack Humbert is the designer of the PCB and main driver for the project ;)

I see! Sorry for that!
It's a very nice setup! :D

Offline kebby

« Reply #244 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 03:55:30 »
I'm happy that the Planck exists since it makes it a bit easier to get caps for KBT Pure Pro... Only the spacebar is an issue that it doesn't help with (for ISO).

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #245 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 23:43:55 »
I'm happy that the Planck exists since it makes it a bit easier to get caps for KBT Pure Pro... Only the spacebar is an issue that it doesn't help with (for ISO).

What size spacebar do you need!? I updated OP with prices and some adjustments so check it out and let me know if I need to add a spacebar size :D

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
Re: [IC] NEW Deep Space set - UPDATED W/ESTIMATES
« Reply #246 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 23:46:31 »
Hi all! Long time no action..

I heard back from Melissa and updated the OP accordingly with estimates! Let me know what you all think. Keep in mind this set includes 13 completely custom doubleshot novelties! 

Offline Moralless

« Reply #247 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 23:59:22 »
I have no problem with the prices of the mainstream kits. Only problem I see is the image for the blanks you listed 2.25u twice which I assume the very top one is supposed to be 2.75.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #248 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 00:05:02 »
Is it too late to include a 1.25u fn in the base mod sets?
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #249 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 00:10:39 »
What happened to the HHKB layout keys? Specifically the 1.75u control, the 1.5u backspace, and the 1u "\|" key?

Are those 3 keys not going to make it in anymore? You had it in a previous mock up but took it out of the last two iterations.