Author Topic: So this is what thick Cherry POM feels like...  (Read 5022 times)

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
So this is what thick Cherry POM feels like...
« on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 06:59:08 »
I can finally understand what you guys mean by "slippery". Stumbled upon this brand new keyset in Taiwan, and decided why not? Never tried POM.  ;)

Blank thick Cherry POM. I didn't even know that Cherry sold these separately? Actually, I've only seen the printed version of these (since it has bubbled windows keys, we know it didn't come from Das II)

Except I forgot about one thing... Off centre spacebar.  :'(
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
Re: So this is what thick Cherry POM feels like...
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 07:08:45 »
Nice find! I would kill for that set, I've been anxious to try POM.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 10:13:54 »
If they are indeed Cherry that is an EXCELLENT find.  So hard to get.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 10:29:18 »
If they are indeed Cherry that is an EXCELLENT find.  So hard to get.

The seller only had one left :/. I've been eyeing it for a while, and iirc, he had an engraved version as well that sold a couple months ago.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 15:30:00 »
So aside from slippery, what else can you tell us about POM?

Like how hard/brittle would you say it is, does it sit inbetween ABS and PBT?

Also did you like it?

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 18:02:12 »
So aside from slippery, what else can you tell us about POM?

Like how hard/brittle would you say it is, does it sit inbetween ABS and PBT?

Also did you like it?

I didn't bring a mech board with me while travelling, so I haven't had a chance to actually type on them. From reading about POM in the past, it's more durable than PBT, but has a slippery feeling. The side walls of the keycaps look ever so slightly textured, but don't have the clean smooth look of Cherry ABS. I also had a hell of a time trying to pick up the lower profile keycaps I placed on the floor -- it would literally slip out of my pinch :))

I think what bugs me the most is the "oily" look it has. The sidewalls don't always have an even finish (it's flat, but you will notice some parts of the plastic "swirled" shinier than the rest).
Imagine taking a stock backlit ABS keycap and touching the sidewalls right after eating something oily/fried with your hands. You'll notice the oil stains smeared across the smooth black surface (except POM looks textured like PBT). It's really hard to describe, I'll take some pics and update shortly.

Here's some picture examples: might be overly exaggerated due to the lighting + me picking the most obvious "oily" keycaps.

« Last Edit: Wed, 08 October 2014, 18:13:23 by Zeal »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 09:08:59 »
I've tried to arrange buying blank keyset only from Cherry a few times and they won't so I'm not sure how some Asian sellers get a hold of them... unless they are doing pulls from G80-3000LPCXY-2. As far as I know the only official Cherry keycap replacement/aftermarket sets are the KC104 which only come in US ANSI lasered.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 12:47:53 »
I've tried to arrange buying blank keyset only from Cherry a few times and they won't so I'm not sure how some Asian sellers get a hold of them... unless they are doing pulls from G80-3000LPCXY-2. As far as I know the only official Cherry keycap replacement/aftermarket sets are the KC104 which only come in US ANSI lasered.

Ah, thanks for pointing out the Model # of the G80-3000 board! At the price I paid for these keycaps, I high doubt they pulled it from a fresh board. The keycaps did come in an old plastic bag though, so it's been sitting in there for a while. There is a handwritten sticker attached on the bag with "6653-3001 110pcs". That might lead you somewhere even though this is a 104 keyset.

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 12:57:28 »
POM provides an awesome impression for the first time trying on it, but after a while, when I switch between ABS, PBT and POM each for a week typing, I decide to keep them forever in the bag... PBT still feels super to me
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline t2russo

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 19:43:44 »
Cherry POM sets are the reason my KMACs have off-center space bar switches.  Excellent find, I have the sets off DAS without the bubble winkey, but I prefer the bubbled version by a lot.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 15:47:55 »
JELLY 0_0

Offline gigibecali

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 14:40:34 »

Ivan, are you going to do that thick, low profile POM keycaps GB ?
IBM M - UK  |  QFR reds  |  QFR blacks  |  HPE 87 browns  |  HPE 87 blues