Author Topic: buckling spring with cherry on top  (Read 14825 times)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
buckling spring with cherry on top
« on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 06:29:13 »
This would be ALPHA-1, just dremel work + epoxy glue, but the result is promising. Next step would be 3d print. Final step would be production...

Enjoy.

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
Re: buckling spring with cherry on top
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 06:31:51 »
Nice, i'm imaging right now Round 5 SA caps on a SSK. Yummy!

Do the caps fit regarding their dimensions in all? Not that the caps then touch/polish each other.
... ...

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 06:33:28 »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 07:06:27 »
Nice, i'm imaging right now Round 5 SA caps on a SSK. Yummy!

Do the caps fit regarding their dimensions in all? Not that the caps then touch/polish each other.

I have to make 10 or so 3d printed prototypes and try them on a real model M. I sold my last one few months ago, I have to find a new one now. Also... I have to work on the stabilized keys.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 07:45:34 »
OMG, so this would fit any cherry key (not the stabilized ones)? Even novelties aka bro caps and such?
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 07:47:58 »
current one supports only round stemmed caps (some novelty keys have square stem), but I could make a square hole and it would fit anything

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 07:48:30 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 September 2015, 13:30:14 by esoomenona »

Offline JPG

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 07:50:18 »
I am curious to know how it would feel typing on such a key (if it would be very firm or wobble or have a height problem). That's why I asked for novelties since it would not be a problem unless you intend to type on your novelty cap on a regular basis lol!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 07:55:50 »
Great idea!

But how to accommodate all the various Cherry key heights on buckling spring stems?

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 07:56:08 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 September 2015, 13:30:02 by esoomenona »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 08:07:28 »
Great idea!

But how to accommodate all the various Cherry key heights on buckling spring stems?

I need a buckling spring keyboard both ansi and iso. looking for them right now.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 08:15:02 »
This is great! It makes me want to get back to fixing and/or finally replacing my broken Unicomp M.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 08:18:04 »
Great idea!

Flat profile keyset.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 08:31:19 »
This would be amazing. Would there be various angles of the stem to accommodate for the different heights and the curve of the plate?
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 08:39:15 »
Absolutely epic here Matt3o.  I would be willing to donate an M for the cause.  I would just ask for a bit to cover shipping.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 09:12:36 »
Nice!  After installing a full board of these - I can see having to insert cardboard between the rows to align the keys.

If the center of the BS stem is drilled out to accept the MX stem - do you have a need to modify the bottom of the MX stem to center index and angle the spring - so that it buckles in the correct direction?
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 09:20:31 »
If the center of the BS stem is drilled out to accept the MX stem - do you have a need to modify the bottom of the MX stem to center index and angle the spring - so that it buckles in the correct direction?

yes we would need to tilt the stem inside the hole a little, but I have to test it on a real keyboard. At one point I had half a dozen model m (including ssk) around but I ended up selling all of them due to space constraints.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 09:35:37 »
yes we would need to tilt the stem inside the hole a little, but I have to test it on a real keyboard. At one point I had half a dozen model m (including ssk) around but I ended up selling all of them due to space constraints.

I seem to be misunderstanding this a bit.  You drilled the BS stem completely through, removing the mounting spot for the spring?

Can you post a picture of the stem from top/bottom?
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 09:38:48 »
no, not completely there's still some material inside. Enough to glue a cherry mx male stem. I'll take better pictures later... actually I could work on the 3d model so I'm ready for 3d print.

Offline pasph

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 10:48:05 »
This is really something!
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 11:48:04 »
Alright guys.  I am going to donate an M for science to help further this project.  Would anyone be willing to donate a few dollars to help with the international shipping costs for shipping this thing?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 11:49:30 »
thanks Melvang! I'd gladly cover shipping

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 11:51:23 »
Might be a few days but I will get a cost for that figured out.  Does it need to be 100% functional?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 11:58:54 »
Might be a few days but I will get a cost for that figured out.  Does it need to be 100% functional?

Physically it must be functional (no missing barrels nor springs or hammers). I also need most of the keys (if it misses a couple of 1u, no problem, but I need all the others).

Apart from that it doesn't need to be actually working.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 12:33:25 »
Great idea!

I need a buckling spring keyboard both ansi and iso. looking for them right now.

you only need one as both ANSI and ISO have the same barrel frame. I can send you a spare to play with if melvang runs into trouble with his.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 13:59:27 »
Great idea!

you only need one as both ANSI and ISO have the same barrel frame. I can send you a spare to play with if melvang runs into trouble with his.

It's not only the frame. I also need the ISO enter and left shift

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 14:25:53 »
Wut.  Incredible.  All the Cherry will need to be the same profile to fit most buckling spring boards.  If somebody has not said that already.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 14:38:26 »
Wut.  Incredible.  All the Cherry will need to be the same profile to fit most buckling spring boards.  If somebody has not said that already.

Why wouldn't one be able to use dcs caps?  I believe that matt3o is attempting is to modify the bottom half of the BS caps to accept MX caps.  I don't see why profile would matter. 

Granted yes, IBM caps are a uniform profile but get the sculpted effect from the curved backplate.  I have been wanting to see SCS on something of the same curved plate for a while now.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 14:59:43 »
It is likely that I'd need to make a different slider for each keycap family. SA Row 3 works very well because they are tall and I can push them very deep into the slider, but I'm really curious to see how a DSA would work (Granite should look pretty neat on it).

A fellow European volunteered his ANSI model M to the cause, so we can spare on shipping. If the frame for ISO is the same I just need the missing keycaps (most importantly ISO enter), but anyway ansi will keep me busy for while.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 October 2014, 17:16:40 by Matt3o »

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 16:25:20 »
It's not only the frame. I also need the ISO enter and left shift

Hmm, I only have ISO enter from a model F, which won't fit right. I guess you "could" just cut up a different key and use it as a donor for the slider. Left shift is very easy: just use any 1.25x key, or slider from a 1x key. There is no stabilizer. I think I have a spare from a model F but I will have to check.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 17:14:21 »
Very interesting!

SA profile would probably look best, I seem to associated SA with olden terminals and Model M is a similar vintage.

Is the hole in the stop just a round hole drilled through, or is there a "+" for the keycap to slot in to?  I guess it's not necessary, a hole would suffice, as long we it was tight enough to hold the keycaps on.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 17:18:49 »
Very interesting!

SA profile would probably look best, I seem to associated SA with olden terminals and Model M is a similar vintage.

Is the hole in the stop just a round hole drilled through, or is there a "+" for the keycap to slot in to?  I guess it's not necessary, a hole would suffice, as long we it was tight enough to hold the keycaps on.

inside the hole there's the cherry "+" (sorry I took the picture in the wrong angle). The hole needs to be pretty big to fit some novelty keys. Anyway in the coming days I will work on the 3D model and see what shapeways can do.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 18:22:13 »
Now I just remembered that I have an old typewriter in the basement with keycaps that fit Cherry stems, theoretically, but are wrong inside to actually work on a keyboard.

If those fit on some sort of buckling spring key stem, it would be amazing! They are super-thick, spherical doubleshots in a truly vintage color ......
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 01:28:08 »
Now I just remembered that I have an old typewriter in the basement with keycaps that fit Cherry stems, theoretically, but are wrong inside to actually work on a keyboard.

If those fit on some sort of buckling spring key stem, it would be amazing! They are super-thick, spherical doubleshots in a truly vintage color ......

PICTURES!

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 01:31:21 »
sweet design man..

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 11:04:39 »
looks like it could be reed switch or slider &spring/dome over membrane. Spacebar might be marquardt or something else.

anyway sweet keycaps, but they might not fit with this design easily. You could harvest the sliders from the typewriter and glue them flattened BS stems.

Offline Vizir

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 20:26:09 »
Looking forward to this!

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 02:17:50 »
I'm waiting for the Model M to reach my place... I'll keep you posted.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 12:58:18 »
I wanted to thank madhias who volunteered his Model M to the cause. I received the keyboard few days ago and I'm ready to 3d print the beta 1 of the slider :) Crossing fingers, let me know if you spot any issue.

Offline JPG

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 13:14:19 »
I wanted to thank madhias who volunteered his Model M to the cause. I received the keyboard few days ago and I'm ready to 3d print the beta 1 of the slider :) Crossing fingers, let me know if you spot any issue.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

The only issue that I see coming is a wallet problem. Else this looks awesome!

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 13:26:13 »
I would assume these would work for F's and M's equally?

Offline JPG

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 13:29:31 »
Hum, I just got a revelation:

Since some cherry keys have a profile in them (well most in fact) AND that we can now produce custom model F pcb's and controllers THEN we could make a flat barrel plate and flat everything and even reuse existing cherry keyboard cases if things are aligned correctly (or version close to one).

Is it possible or did I miss something? If everything get flat, then we could make some sort of sandwich (maybe like the minimal Swill case) and then it would be relatively easy to make a full custom model F as long as you have access to barrels/flippers/springs from an old model F.

Offline Vizir

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 15:19:15 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

looking amazing! i'm down with SA or DSA.

edit: or sphericals. too many choices...

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 23:41:39 »

Since some cherry keys have a profile in them (well most in fact) AND that we can now produce custom model F pcb's and controllers THEN we could make a flat barrel plate and flat everything and even reuse existing cherry keyboard cases if things are aligned correctly (or version close to one).
Or you could just use the keycaps from a Model M2, no?
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 October 2014, 23:44:05 by jacobolus »

Offline JPG

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 00:00:08 »

Or you could just use the keycaps from a Model M2, no?

They are profiled? At this point I don't know if it's easier to get a bent plate/case sandwich with regular BS keycap or this. Anyway, this thing is still very interesting in itself.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 00:07:18 »
Yeah, pretty sure M2 barrel frame is flat, with profiled caps, though I can’t find any side-view pictures in an image search :/. Not totally sure how well a flat plate would work for Model F PCB / flippies / barrels though.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 21:21:58 »
Yeah, pretty sure M2 barrel frame is flat, with profiled caps, though I can’t find any side-view pictures in an image search :/. Not totally sure how well a flat plate would work for Model F PCB / flippies / barrels though.

M15 has the same technology / construction as the M2, and has better pictures available. You can see it's flat/flat
http://webwit.nl/input/ibm_m15/m15-5.jpg

I was disappointed when I found out.