Author Topic: Decided to come out of the woodwork!  (Read 2642 times)

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
Decided to come out of the woodwork!
« on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 11:22:07 »
Hello all!

I've been lurking here for about a year now, silently collecting all of the keyboard wisdom available here.

I THINK I have all the keyboards I could ever want, a Topre Type Heaven, Poker II with Clears, and a Monoprice with Blues.

BUT who knows, the HHKB (one day modded to have Novatouch stems) and those GON nerd crystal 60s look oh so tasty!

Well, I'm off to lurk some more and maybe toss in a few words here and there!

Syg
null

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
Re: Decided to come out of the woodwork!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 11:27:44 »
Welcome!  Looking forward to your contribution!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 12:09:10 »
Welcome (: How are you liking your type heaven? Always interested to know what type heaven users have to say :P

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 02:06:51 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I don't see anything with buckling springs in that list :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 19:04:03 »
Welcome (: How are you liking your type heaven? Always interested to know what type heaven users have to say :P

It's great, as you would expect from any plate mounted Topre! Plus I think the Type Heaven case and simple labeling is among the best looking designs in the industry. Not a huge fan of the layered ABS though (they haven't gotten shiny yet even after a year of use but the legends are beginning to fade). In hindsight, a Realforce is a better buy since they come with a perfect set of keycaps.

With regard to the switches, I'm an ex-gymnast so my hand/finger strength is above average and I do find 45g Topre to be a little light for me; my main driver now is my Poker II with stock MX Clear switches (the weight of the Clears is almost perfect for me!)
null

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 22:18:58 »

It's great, as you would expect from any plate mounted Topre! Plus I think the Type Heaven case and simple labeling is among the best looking designs in the industry. Not a huge fan of the layered ABS though (they haven't gotten shiny yet even after a year of use but the legends are beginning to fade). In hindsight, a Realforce is a better buy since they come with a perfect set of keycaps.

With regard to the switches, I'm an ex-gymnast so my hand/finger strength is above average and I do find 45g Topre to be a little light for me; my main driver now is my Poker II with stock MX Clear switches (the weight of the Clears is almost perfect for me!)
I see. I'm going to try ergo clears once my poker arrives in the mail!

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 19:40:55 »
I know this is an old post, but welcome nonetheless and certainly nonethericher. Haha.
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 20:45:44 »
I know this is an old post, but welcome nonetheless and certainly nonethericher. Haha.

Lol... my signature (compared to my original post) confirms this... Doh...

I need to limit myself now....

I'm already 600-700 dollars in and I pray to God that I never break 1000.
null

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 20:52:53 »
Welcome!  The GON's are definitely excellent boards.  I'd recommend them any day.  Oh, and no lurking!  Participate! 

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 20:54:43 »
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 20:56:57 »
Welcome!  The GON's are definitely excellent boards.  I'd recommend them any day.  Oh, and no lurking!  Participate!
Yeah, I had a GON until recently lol. My current (and hopefully ultimate) baby is my Duck Viper  :thumb:

Oh, and no lurking!  Participate!

Triple relevant!

Lol I believe I have =p (2 months after opening this account and I'm pushing 400 posts)  :'(
I spend way too much time here.

Thanks for digging up my old welcome thread lol. I'm enjoying this delayed welcome party  ;D
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 December 2014, 20:58:50 by Sygaldry »
null

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 11:19:22 »
Yeah, I had a GON until recently lol. My current (and hopefully ultimate) baby is my Duck Viper  :thumb:

Triple relevant!

Lol I believe I have =p (2 months after opening this account and I'm pushing 400 posts)  :'(

Thanks for digging up my old welcome thread lol. I'm enjoying this delayed welcome party  ;D

From your presence on here, I'd swear you have been here for years...hehe
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 11:39:05 »

Triple relevant!

From your presence on here, I'd swear you have been here for years...hehe
I have =] Just without an account lol.
null

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 21:53:32 »

Lol... my signature (compared to my original post) confirms this... Doh...

I need to limit myself now....

I'm already 600-700 dollars in and I pray to God that I never break 1000.

Famous last words :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ