Author Topic: Water Cooling Pump sprung a leak ! :( Should I sell my parts ?  (Read 5458 times)

Offline halfkiller

Water Cooling Pump sprung a leak ! :( Should I sell my parts ?
« on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 17:19:00 »
Ok as the title states - my water pump sprung a leak.....  The really bad news is that I am moving soon and I would either have to buy a new pump and res combo, or get a new pump and res (not combined).

The total for me to get a new res and pump would be $281, a new case, pump, and res would be $349. Now I would have to ship it over to Germany and pay another $200 to get it over there.

Now, would you keep the computer and fix it as well as pay shipping cost, or would you build a new PC all together ?

My Computer's specs are as followed

-Intel Core i5 3570k (Water Block is a XSPC Raystorm)
-16gb of kingston Hyper X Blu 1600 mhz ram (2x8GB)
-Gigabyte GTX 770 2GB windforce (Water Block is a EK Thermosphere)
-Cooler Master Silent Pro 850w semi modular 80 plus bronze
-Gigabyte z77-ds3h
-LG Blu Ray reader
-Radiators: 1x240mm and 1x120mm all XSPC Compression fittings
-Corsair 600T Graphite White - Custom painted trim is all baby blue with a trident vinyl on the door.

If I do sell these parts would anyone have a guess at what I would get for it ?

THANKS!!! 
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 October 2014, 17:22:14 by halfkiller »

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: Water Cooling Pump sprung a leak ! :( Should I sell my parts ?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 17:27:19 »
Whelp... watercooling is getting dumber and dumber as components are using less and less energy.  I'd say sell it all, compare costs for buying PCs at your new destination, and see if it's worth the cost of shipping to build something new.  Maybe it's time to go for mobile computing?
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline halfkiller

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 17:31:26 »
Well, I guess I will start listing my parts on the classifieds *Sniffles* THis is the first PC I shoved $1700 or so in it.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 17:42:10 »
I just re-read it and you aren't moving to germany... you're just sending a part over to germany?

Why would shipping cost $200?
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 17:54:02 »
I'm unclear on this as well. Plus there are quality parts available in EU, why have something sent over?  Also, why does both res and pump need replacing?  You can buy a D5 or DDC and separate just the pump to replace a faulty one if that's the issue.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 18:43:43 »
for CPU,  air is better than water..  x99 is the only platform right now that sorttta warrants the use of water..

Offline halfkiller

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 18:58:20 »
The total shipping price was for all of my parts - including the case, radiators, etc. As well as insurance.

Now, my pump and res combo is a dual bay xspc combo that has a proprietary pump in it that is garbage. I could buy the one with the d5, but I cannot find it under $179 without tubing or fluid.

I Would love to sell all my parts, but to get what I would want in Germany it would cost me around 1450 euros (That is using my SSD and HDD).

I have looked into it and I have found out I would not really get more than $600 tops for my parts on eBay, so I might as well get the damn thing fixed and hope that we end up getting a shipping container for all of our other goods.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 20:26:02 »
The total shipping price was for all of my parts - including the case, radiators, etc. As well as insurance.

Now, my pump and res combo is a dual bay xspc combo that has a proprietary pump in it that is garbage. I could buy the one with the d5, but I cannot find it under $179 without tubing or fluid.

I Would love to sell all my parts, but to get what I would want in Germany it would cost me around 1450 euros (That is using my SSD and HDD).

I have looked into it and I have found out I would not really get more than $600 tops for my parts on eBay, so I might as well get the damn thing fixed and hope that we end up getting a shipping container for all of our other goods.

Ah, okay, all makes sense. 

I feel your pain, bro.  I had a Core i7 950 rig (dual loop D5's, OC'd to 4.3GHz) in my flat in China.  Left it in spring 2013 to come to USA for a 1 year assignment.  Then we decided to stay.  So May 2014 my wife went over and packed everything up.  Then it rode in the container.  Now it is in a warehouse.  All this time depreciating.  Was a hot machine when it was new, and a really nice machine when I left it.  Now there are laptops that are probably faster.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have sold the whole thing right then.  You never know about shipping, storage, etc.  Just my $.02.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline sobe

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 20:53:00 »
for CPU,  air is better than water..  x99 is the only platform right now that sorttta warrants the use of water..

Couldn't be further from the truth :/

You should come on over to Overclockers.com :)

I say just buy the XSPC D5 Dualbay rev2 res/pump combo if you want to keep the dual bay style setup and call it a day. I personally run the Photon 170 D5 combo and 0 issues.

Long live the water!

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 21:30:51 »

Just sell off the big/bulky stuff and the rest of your loop.  Keep the cpu, mobo, ram, ssd/hdd, gpu, and blu-ray.  Box them well (better if you have the factory packaging), and ship them with the rest of your stuff.  When you get to Germany, pick up a new case, psu, and air cooler and call it a day. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline halfkiller

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 16:32:48 »
Yeah. I have made the decision to keep the main components and just sell the case. I may keep the radiators and the blocks since I plan to water cool in Germany. I Would just need a new case, pump, and res.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 16:38:24 »
Does germany use the same outlet/voltage as the us?  That was the main reason i suggested dumpimg the psu.  Might as well replace it with a gold or platinum unit.
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 22:25:33 »

Couldn't be further from the truth :/

You should come on over to Overclockers.com :)

I say just buy the XSPC D5 Dualbay rev2 res/pump combo if you want to keep the dual bay style setup and call it a day. I personally run the Photon 170 D5 combo and 0 issues.

Show Image

Long live the water!

everything from 2500k -> 4790k  tops out at 4.8ghz given 1.35v

Water does NOT change that hard limit..

If that is the case...   WHY bother when you can reach those speeds with AIR cooling..

Yes, I'm taking into account 3xxx and 4xxx has to be delidded..

But delidding is significantly cheaper than buying a water setup, which doesn't add any speed even if ran cooler..

The new 6core cpus pretty much top out at 4.5ghz 1.35v,  where 1.35+ gets a bit too hot...  so HERE.. it makes sense to use water cooling..

Offline halfkiller

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 09:21:09 »
Does germany use the same outlet/voltage as the us?  That was the main reason i suggested dumpimg the psu.  Might as well replace it with a gold or platinum unit.

I would just have to change the switch to 230(Yeah... I think it is 230) rather than 110 .

Also, I might as well keep my watercooling loop since all I need is a new pump and res. I spent quite a heft price for all my blocks and rads around 3 months ago.

Offline halfkiller

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 09:24:30 »
I am going to just get a new case when I move. The reason why I would need to use the dual bay set up is because I lost the things that slot in place as a filler..... and I painted all my pieces a pastel blue to match my coolant.

Offline sobe

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 10:57:49 »
Just use distilled water with Killcoil/PTNuke, for color just use colored tubing. Preferably PrimoFlex Advanced LRT tubing so you won't run into issues with plasticizer and other things.

Offline tbc

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 06:00:41 »
Whelp... watercooling is getting dumber and dumber as components are using less and less energy.

that's exactly WHY wc is becoming MORE useful.

you can have a single high quality fan cooling both your cpu and gpu instead of relying on the crappy builtin fans.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 08:31:26 »
Whelp... watercooling is getting dumber and dumber as components are using less and less energy.
Even though the latest top of the line GPUs are more energy-efficient than previous gen. they can still not run at high load for any length of time with stock coolers before they have to throttle themselves to avoid overheating. With good watercooling, they could run at high load all the time.

And while you are watercooling the GPU you could just as well include the CPU in the loop.

My next PC is probably getting watercooled, and that is also because the case does not have enough space for a high-performance air cooler and because I want it silent.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 09:23:24 »
I agree... its pretty nice to have high OC and run them close to ambient even when at load instead of having to worry about thermal throttling. Also, if the trend continues we may have a period where you can ditch the fans out of the water loop as having a large passive rad will be enough. If we can get rid of moving parts save a single pump that is pretty nice on getting rid of noise. We still have a ways to go before higher performance parts can be passive cooled on only air with heatsinks.

Not sure where you are shopping for water kit, but those prices seem really, really high. I guess bay res pump combos are usually a little more expensive, but you can dual bay 5.25 with mcp655 pump for around $100.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 09:49:39 »
It just fascinate me seeing many guys here spend more on their keyboards in total than their rigs lol

dont get me wrong I'm a WC maniac, my build is too overkill I've to admit
but I'm not at the point where I'm happy even with my cpu in combo with those AIO watercooling, they just get better and better (or even those noctua air cooling)
AND NO MAINTENANCE required :D custom loops is just for the hobby and prestige IMO

Unless you are still into custom loops, and your money can keep it up why not go for the new stuff you need
else... ditch them
but I can tell those new GPU's really went well with extreme custom loops, the extra power you get can sometimes make it worth
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 October 2014, 09:51:21 by jokrik »
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline sobe

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 19:28:34 »
It just fascinate me seeing many guys here spend more on their keyboards in total than their rigs lol

That's how I look at it, lol. You go mechanical keyboard when it's not NEEDED? Same input, so by that logic no point.

I will enjoy my ambient temps as well as near ambient under load ;) Not to mention with CPU + GPU = noise be gone.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 03:50:50 »
You could make your own reservoir and buy a submersible pump with better flow rate than that overpriced, underperforming, noisy stuff sold for PC use. Fish tank flow pumps are quieter (particularly the submersed, sealed type with rubber sucker feet like these: http://www.marinedepot.com/powerheads_pumps_eheim_compact_pump-ap.html), cheaper, more reliable and flow more (and are cooled by the water, too). The only downside is you may have to rig your own power switching for it since most of them run on mains, not 12v (a simple relay can work fine). Upside is you have more power from your PSU for the other components. I find it quite ridiculous how much companies charge for watercooling parts. I've been DIY'ing them for myself (including CPU and GPU blocks) since 2001.

Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 15:58:37 »

dont get me wrong I'm a WC maniac, my build is too overkill I've to admit
but I'm not at the point where I'm happy even with my cpu in combo with those AIO watercooling, they just get better and better (or even those noctua air cooling)
AND NO MAINTENANCE required :D custom loops is just for the hobby and prestige IMO

Unless you are still into custom loops, and your money can keep it up why not go for the new stuff you need
else... ditch them
but I can tell those new GPU's really went well with extreme custom loops, the extra power you get can sometimes make it worth

This is changing if they bring on the Soldered 6Cores to mainstream platforms other than x99..

the current 6core x99 cpus run so freaking hot..  it's insane...  they're soldered, and still heatbound at 4.5ghz.

you can see that most x99 chips are capable of 47x - 48x ..  but @ 1.35v , it hits the the 100C  ceiling..

Without some serious water (quite loud)  you just can't get that down enough to push 1.4

the BEST chips can only do 4.75ghz on 1.38 ish..   but that's pretty hard to cool.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 17:18:51 »
I've been DIY'ing them for myself (including CPU and GPU blocks) since 2001.
Cool. Most acrylic tops for waterblocks do look like you could make or mod them yourself relatively easily, but the high fin density of a store-bought copper block looks difficult to me.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 17:39:35 »
You could make your own reservoir and buy a submersible pump with better flow rate than that overpriced, underperforming, noisy stuff sold for PC use. Fish tank flow pumps are quieter (particularly the submersed, sealed type with rubber sucker feet like these: http://www.marinedepot.com/powerheads_pumps_eheim_compact_pump-ap.html), cheaper, more reliable and flow more (and are cooled by the water, too). The only downside is you may have to rig your own power switching for it since most of them run on mains, not 12v (a simple relay can work fine). Upside is you have more power from your PSU for the other components. I find it quite ridiculous how much companies charge for watercooling parts. I've been DIY'ing them for myself (including CPU and GPU blocks) since 2001.

how are you making ur own cpu blocks.

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 13:58:07 »
Back in the day you could just draw out channels in a copper block with a milling machine.  I spent $45cdn on the copper block and cover to do this back in 2004, but when I moved to Calgary for a job I just bought a Danger Den RBX for about the same price and called it a day.  It was a pricey project for no speed gain on my AthlonXP 2500+, now the parts just sit there.
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline NeedAFix

• Ten Seconds until Midnight
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 14:45:37 »
Ditch that water cooling system sell the parts and rebuild with new tech and replace it with the enclosed radiator systems from corsair. (Or if the parts work, just put the aforementioned radiator system in there). At least, that is what I would do.

Not going to get into an intel vs amd discussion but I choose amd parts (running APU + R7 250 dual graphics) because they offer better price to performance, but I also don't use water cooling (sometimes I do wish I used it but then I remember it just takes one leak).
The Bird of the Hermes is my name,
eating my wings to make me tame.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 09:00:46 »

how are you making ur own cpu blocks.

1. Work out your flow pattern. I like starting in the middle of one end, splitting into 2 channels that work their way out to the edge and then combine on the far side.
2. Buy a solid copper block big enough to cover the whole top surface of the CPU (with some extra on opposite sides depending on your flow pattern), some 1mm or 1.5mm copper sheet and some correct diameter tubing for the pipe you're using.
3. Use a large diameter drill (or mill end) and hacksaw to make the pattern. Lots of thin fins work well with 1/2 drill / mill bit width per "channel" so you can alternate them.
4. Use tinsnips and a stepped drill bit to make a cover for the block.
5. Flare the ends of the copper tube pieces and fit the to the cover. Solder them in place.
6. Add solder to all the places the block contacts the cover and that you want to seal.
7. Use a heatgun to mate the cover to the block, melting the solder and sealing it up. You can touch up here and there with a powerful soldering iron if needed, but you have to preheat the block a bit with the heatgun.
8. Test it by putting a short piece of pipe from the inlet to outlet and putting it in a pot of hot water on the stove. If there are leaks you will see air bubbles escaping.

Or use a mill on a copper block and some acrylic and seal them with an oring. You can drill and tap holes in either the copper or acrylic to fit standard pipe fittings, but be careful of galvanic effects between dissimilar metals.

Depends on what tools you have available.

The best part is that once you've made a block, you don't need to make a new one when upgrading, even to completely new architecture (as long as the block is large enough), just need to make a new bracket to hold it, so IMHO it's worth the DIY.

My first one was quite a small block (for an Athlon Thunderbird, ) with about 8 holes drilled from one side to the other and a cover on each end with the pipes attached. Flow rate was quite poor, but it worked. I did have a bit of an incident with that block, though. I was using a mains powered pump on a separate switch, so I'd have to switch the pump on first, then the PC. One time I got distracted and turned on the PC first, then got called away. When I came back the solder had melted on one end of the block and water was everywhere. Amazingly the system still worked after everything cooled and dried off. I also learnt a lot about pump, reservoir and radiator placement and flow rates from that system. I used a Ziploc container for a reservoir, fish tank flow pump (800litres per hour) and a car heater radiator from a Ford. The pump still works :)

Currently using a full sized car radiator which also acts as my reservoir and covers one side of my PC with big, slow fans to reduce noise. High overall flow rate, low noise, good result :) PSU fan is the noisiest part of the system.

I admit I caved on my latest system and bought full sized graphics card blocks, since they're not so easy to make when you want to cool all the voltage regulators, GPU and RAM. Older cards were fine with just a GPU block and passive heatsinks on the RAM (GeForce 2 to 4). For my GeForce 6 and 7's I made large flat blocks with thin shims to reach the RAM chips, but they were difficult to seal and not as effective as I wanted.

If I ever get my CNC machine up and running I'll use that for future card blocks.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.