Author Topic: [eBay] Kishsaver and 50 key Model F  (Read 5874 times)

Offline Aer Fixus

• And now, back to lurking...
[eBay] Kishsaver and 50 key Model F
« on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 02:32:59 »
Exactly what the title says: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161447496845
A 50 key 4704 keyboard. I've PMed the seller about where they got the board originally, because if they didn't get it from Geekhack or Deskthority, I would certainly like to know as with many other people here. They seem to know a bit about the board, but still don't seem like the kind of person who purchased it from Geekhack or Deskthority especially since they act as if they have no clue if the keys are original or not.

The keycaps seem to be off a 122 key Model F/M and from what I've seen, the stock layouts were either relegendables or blanks.

And the $650 BIN price is just ridiculous IMO.

[EDIT]: The seller is also selling off his Kishsaver: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161448273483
With a $700 starting bid and $1,200 BIN, I think everyone will be watching this listing just to see if it sells.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 October 2014, 14:42:14 by Aer Fixus »
               SOON: IN PROGRESS:

I lie all the time.... I really don't even like keyboards

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Re: IBM 4704 Model 100 (50 key Model F)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 03:03:58 »
If it sells for $650, fook hoff, I'mma sellin his!
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 03:06:18 »
I might be imagining it, but I think the first time I looked at this auction it said $250 (or maybe $150) BIN.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 06:41:00 »
Exactly what the title says: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161447496845
A 50 key 4704 keyboard. I've PMed the seller about where they got the board originally, because if they didn't get it from Geekhack or Deskthority, I would certainly like to know as with many other people here. They seem to know a bit about the board, but still don't seem like the kind of person who purchased it from Geekhack or Deskthority especially since they act as if they have no clue if the keys are original or not.

The keycaps seem to be off a 122 key Model F/M and from what I've seen, the stock layouts were either relegendables or blanks.

And the $650 BIN price is just ridiculous IMO.

Total bs

I can't even sell mine for $135 shipped anywhere around the world and this guy already has starting bid at $150 with bidders. And I'm the guy with more and better documentation, photos, etc.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Aer Fixus

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 14:30:15 »
Total bs

I can't even sell mine for $135 shipped anywhere around the world and this guy already has starting bid at $150 with bidders. And I'm the guy with more and better documentation, photos, etc.
When and where did you list yours? I just stumbled on this one last night. If I had seen yours, I would have posted it (which is probably why this one has bids on it). eBay is also a very funny place. Some amazing items can go completely unnoticed, then some random run-of-the-mill Model M can sell for way more than it really should for no apparent reason.

I've PMed the seller about where they got the board originally
So, he got it from Tinnie, so no surprise there, I suppose. No super secret amazing source or anything.

[Edit]: The seller is also selling their Kishsaver. This will be fun to watch.
[Edit2]: I just noticed the line: "The Buy-It-Now option is strongly recommended." That's just funny to me.
[Edit3]: It appears there has been a thread dedicated to that line (and maybe the listing. Just maybe): http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63961.0
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 October 2014, 14:49:33 by Aer Fixus »

Offline sleepy916

Re: [eBay] Kishsaver and 50 key Model F
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 16:17:51 »
Wow that kishsaver listing is ridiculous. $1200 for the buy it now...

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 16:21:02 »

If it sells for $650, fook hoff, I'mma sellin his!

Damnit Beast!!

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 16:26:13 »
I really want a Kish, but ugh...
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Aer Fixus

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 16:58:12 »

This is not a representative price of what Kishsavers actually sell for. You still need to be in the right place at the right time to catch one for sale, but not with 1.2 grand in your pocket. Think closer to $250-350 if you are lucky enough to find one for sale.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 16:59:26 »

This is not a representative price of what Kishsavers actually sell for. You still need to be in the right place at the right time to catch one for sale, but not with 1.2 grand in your pocket. Think closer to $250-350 if you are lucky enough to find one for sale.

For sure.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 17:04:09 »
I think 600 would only be fair for a fully restored one. (New keycaps, controller, new powder coating, etc..)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 17:22:07 »
FWIW the user is from Geekhack. I proxied those boards to him.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 17:27:08 »
FWIW the user is from Geekhack. I proxied those boards to him.

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 17:28:54 »
He can definitely make more than double what he paid if he sold it here. Heck I would buy it for that price even. But the amount he is trying to get is out of hand.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 17:29:40 »
Got to love that old Geekhack buy and flip.

Offline 127001

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 18:09:35 »
I'm selling all of my boards as I've a got unique opportunity lined up. Additionally I no longer have the space to display these and won't be able to for the next few years. Rather than have them sit in storage I'm selling them off to people who might appreciate them more.

Most of my price's are pretty fair. The Kishsaver is priced at a premium because:

1: I don't really want to sell it that badly.
2: I think it's worth that. Explanation:
    - I sold my M15 for $600 and this is rarer and more desired than an M15

I don't wish to cause any strife or drama and I'm not, generally profiting from any of this. Just getting back what I initially paid. The kishsaver is the only one on which I'll probably profit.

I am going to continue to use ebay for all of the sales because I enjoy the sense of security that is provided to both seller and buyer.

Sorry to get you all so worked up :P

Offline Aer Fixus

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 18:37:02 »
I'm selling all of my boards as I've a got unique opportunity lined up. Additionally I no longer have the space to display these and won't be able to for the next few years. Rather than have them sit in storage I'm selling them off to people who might appreciate them more.

Most of my price's are pretty fair. The Kishsaver is priced at a premium because:

I don't wish to cause any strife or drama and I'm not, generally profiting from any of this. Just getting back what I initially paid. The kishsaver is the only one on which I'll probably profit.

I am going to continue to use ebay for all of the sales because I enjoy the sense of security that is provided to both seller and buyer.

1. I didn't see any of you other boards for sale, just this one (and the 50 key one which is priced just fine IMO).
2. This listing did bring up the idea that maybe the current running prices are much lower than they should be for such a rare board, but that's the issue. Maybe it's worth more, but that's not what people are willing to pay right now. Plus, it's currently a rare board. When these kinds of boards are found, they are found in relatively large quantities. There could be hundreds more of these out there and we don't know, but if we ever find out, the market will be saturated enough for a short period of time to drop the prices down again. Boards like the M15 get let into the market in a slow, steady stream so their pricing is much more stable. The 4704 boards seem to be coming out of the woodworks lately, which makes them seem as a whole, less valuable. In addition, the 77 key 4704 board that was NIB only sold for $225. That is currently the rarest IBM keyboard that I know of, period. It just shows how little interest from the high rollers there is for the obscure Model F stuff.

All that said, if I were to put mine up for sale, I'd price it around there or higher because that's close to what it's worth to me and I'm not willing to sell it just yet. It would have to be a ridiculously high number to convince me to get rid of it.

Offline 127001

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 18:40:42 »

1. I didn't see any of you other boards for sale, just this one (and the 50 key one which is priced just fine IMO).
2. This listing did bring up the idea that maybe the current running prices are much lower than they should be for such a rare board, but that's the issue. Maybe it's worth more, but that's not what people are willing to pay right now. Plus, it's currently a rare board. When these kinds of boards are found, they are found in relatively large quantities. There could be hundreds more of these out there and we don't know, but if we ever find out, the market will be saturated enough for a short period of time to drop the prices down again. Boards like the M15 get let into the market in a slow, steady stream so their pricing is much more stable. The 4704 boards seem to be coming out of the woodworks lately, which makes them seem as a whole, less valuable. In addition, the 77 key 4704 board that was NIB only sold for $225. That is currently the rarest IBM keyboard that I know of, period. It just shows how little interest from the high rollers there is for the obscure Model F stuff.

All that said, if I were to put mine up for sale, I'd price it around there or higher because that's close to what it's worth to me and I'm not willing to sell it just yet. It would have to be a ridiculously high number to convince me to get rid of it.

I'm putting up the listing slowly, you can check my Ebay User's other listing over the next few hours. Just threw up a beam spring

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 22:32:28 »

The other boards look decently priced to me.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/austin127001?_trksid=p2054897.l2559

AT $150 BIN $200 http://www.ebay.com/itm/161448618422
model C1 3278 or w/e $55/$75 http://www.ebay.com/itm/161448627135
Displaywriter in excellent shape $150/200 http://www.ebay.com/itm/161448649120
german 3278 225/350 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-Keyboard-German-Display-Station-Beam-Spring-/161448665373?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item259717211d
Ok well the last is at least twice what it's worth, IMO. The rest are a bit on the high side but pretty fair.

also: http://geekhack.org/index.php?board=161.0

Finally
That's ridiculous. I have some keyboards where there are under 10 known examples in the entire world (much more rare than a M15 or 4704, with the possible exception of the 77-key) and I don't consider any one of them to be worth more than $60. Nevertheless, good luck with sale.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 23:32:48 »
Total bs

When and where did you list yours? I just stumbled on this one last night.

I listed mine ON GEEKHACK classifieds for the past month!

Fine, bumping my thread with price increase to $160 shipped. Nobody ever reads, it seems. I keep getting buyers who want to add to their orders, often after packing or shipping is done, because they discovered something that was there all along but they didn't notice. For a measly $2 in keycaps I have to repack. (Thank God I wisened up and now make everyone pay handling fees). Lest anyone imagine I'm making big money, let me remind you all that this 50key little monster weighs a lot and it cost me usd46 to ship the first one to Australia. I think the top plate isn't painted steel but lead.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 23:36:30 »
Is the top case metal? It looked like it was the regular model m case but with model F insides.

Offline 127001

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 23:44:54 »
They're metal

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 23:48:26 »
They're metal

I should have quoted berserk, I was asking about his 50 key.  ^-^

Offline 127001

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 23:50:45 »
Total bs

When and where did you list yours? I just stumbled on this one last night.

Fine, bumping my thread with price increase to $160 shipped. Nobody ever reads, it seems. I keep getting buyers who want to add to their orders, often after packing or shipping is done, because they discovered something that was there all along but they didn't notice. For a measly $2 in keycaps I have to repack. (Thank God I wisened up and now make everyone pay handling fees). Lest anyone imagine I'm making big money, let me remind you all that this 50key little monster weighs a lot and it cost me usd46 to ship the first one to Australia. I think the top plate isn't painted steel but lead.

If it makes you feel better the individual with the highest bid currently has already purchased a keyboard from me. There is an established buyer-seller relationship there.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 02:23:56 »
They're metal
I should have quoted berserk, I was asking about his 50 key.  ^-^
Judging from the pictures, berzerkfan’s are the same internally as the 4704 Model F ones, but with a plastic case and “Model M” sticker on the back. (Correct me if that’s wrong, berzerk)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 10:02:56 »

Nobody ever reads, it seems.

If it makes you feel better the individual with the highest bid currently has already purchased a keyboard from me. There is an established buyer-seller relationship there.

If you want to get top dollar for your items, you have to market them the right way to the right audience.

My experience is that Geekhackers buying on Geekhack are low-ballers 90% of the time.

Ebay is the place to get top dollar, and your marketing must be shrewd and accurate.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 10:20:31 »
You can't ever explain what a collector values.   Just take their money and try not to giggle.   The kishsaver layout is perfect for a 3 layer programmable.  First thing I would do is gut it and throw the case in the garbage.   Then I would probably throw the key caps and switches away.   I'd probably throw away the cable.  Then I would probably throw away everything but the plate.    The plate wouldn't fit my switches so I would probably chuck that in the garbage too.

The screws would probably float around my house in one container or another till I died and then someone else would throw them in the garbage.

My 97 supercharged bmw M3 on the other hand is worth Millllllionsss!!!

Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 10:24:25 »
That kishy... :'( :'( :'(
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 15:02:54 »
What's interesting is if you just go to the keyboard and mice section on ebay, and sort it by price highest + shipping first, that 4704 62 key is nowhere near the top of the list.  Granted there are pallets of boards listed, but quite a few other single boards listed for a lot more.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 16:00:31 »
Look at those kish prices! What a jerk..

Sell it for cost on gh and get some good karma.. 

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 00:08:40 »

[/quote]

If you want to get top dollar for your items, you have to market them the right way to the right audience.

My experience is that Geekhackers buying on Geekhack are low-ballers 90% of the time.

[/quote]

I do have repeat sales... but as I tend to buy keyboards and sell parts...

My experience with Geekhackers? Most are nice enough, but there are still way, way too many peope who waste my time or who presume too much. I just blacklisted a couple people and even named them on my thread because I felt pissed enough. Fohat, if you wanna know who, just pop over to my keycap emporium. That said, I don't think these guys are ever likely to buy your Model Fs and their maturity level suggested to me they aren't likely to appreciate vinyls either...  :p