Author Topic: Vintage Blacks  (Read 4403 times)

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
Vintage Blacks
« on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 10:33:07 »
I got some vintage mx blacks from Lurch and I thought I'd post my thoughts here.

Out of the packaging, having only experienced lubed reds and ghetto reds I blurted out: Damn, these ARE smooth!

They feel 'buttery' as many call it. They don't have that gritty feel that even worn linear switches (the new ones) has, and they felt great. The springs are a little bit lighter than modern black springs (cherry 60g, not to be confused with korean 60g springs), I'd say around 55-59g to actuate (still cherry measurements).

I can't stand heavy springs, so I thought I swap them with the 45g cherry rate springs in my red switches which I de-soldered from my poker 2 to allow these vintage blacks to go in. I noticed straight away, there were squeaks and spring-like noise (I'm not very good at describing) when I used the vintage blacks with modern red springs. It still feels smooth but I hate that annoying sound.

I proceeded to lube the switch housing and springs. The effect is much better, now the vintage blacks feel even smoother and the springs feel great.

I've also tried the stock vintage blacks before I spring swapped, and like I mentioned before I don't like it. I find myself not actuating some keys occasionally and it got quite annoying. But for those who like heavy switches, they should probably feel great to you, especially when they're so smooth!

TLDR: Lube + Vintage Blacks + Lubed MX 45g Springs = Great linear experience (to me at least)

disclaimer: all these are my opinions, and this is my first review. I hope to give you guys an idea of how I feel about these switches.

The lube I used for the switch housing was mkawa's thin formula from his shop, and for the springs, I used the spring lube from the same place.

Oh yes, any feedback regarding my "review", please feel free to tell me :D
Also, my English sucks.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Re: Vintage Blacks
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 21:33:18 »
I'd be curious to try your switches with the 45g springs.  I use vintage blacks with 55-58g in my boards and feel like that's as light as I'd ever wanna go.  Still...gotta love vintage blacks.  I loved the ones I got from a Nixdorf pcb a while ago, too.  Soooo smooth.  Think I got really lucky with that one.

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 23:54:08 »
I'd be curious to try your switches with the 45g springs.  I use vintage blacks with 55-58g in my boards and feel like that's as light as I'd ever wanna go.  Still...gotta love vintage blacks.  I loved the ones I got from a Nixdorf pcb a while ago, too.  Soooo smooth.  Think I got really lucky with that one.

Well, I'm not the kind for heavier switches. I left the spacebar and bottom row with stock springs. Reason being I ordered a MKC Zinc bottom row set (without spacebar), so I expect the weight of the keycap to sink the switch a little. The spacebar was left as is as my thumbs are pretty much the only fingers which feel comfortable with heavier springs. I find myself actuating randomly when I had a lighter spacebar.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 23:59:41 »
These sound really nice! I love my mx blacks with the smooth feel, so vintage sounds even better!  :thumb: I will have to look at getting some for my next board

Offline Battou62

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 08:34:10 »
Yes, vintage blacks are a real thing. I noticed this immediately with my Kmac that has vintage blacks. They were noticeably smoother than my Filco w/ mx blacks. 

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 09:43:24 »
Zinc keys just got here. They have some weight to them, I guess around 10-15g. They don't depress the switch but make actuating almost the same as 45g vintage blacks.

Offline Cherry1990

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 13:13:54 »
Please, define "vintage" MX Blacks: ten years old? Twenty years old?
I would like to know if my own Blacks are vintage or not... ;D
PBT forever!

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 13:23:55 »
I'll wait for Ivan, or someone else with better knowledge about Cherry's history to confirm, but I believe original blacks(vintage) were made sometime between the mid 80's and the early 90's and in fact had a lighter spring than modern mx blacks, i'm not sure if the originals have a different plastic formula, or their smoothness is derived from years of use.  The most common giveaway for vintage blacks is the larger cherry logo on the switch top.

picture borrowed from Whiskeytango
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 October 2014, 13:32:18 by Flyersfan1 »
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 08:07:35 »

Check out what the post below you said. Most I swapped my switch top to aftermarket ones so nobody can tell that they are vintage blacks apart from testing them!