Author Topic: Desko BMOS 4020 U  (Read 4685 times)

Offline ebacho

Desko BMOS 4020 U
« on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 01:03:33 »
At time of writing, $25 + ~$16 shipping CONUS. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Desko-BMOS-4020-U-Keyboard-w-Magnetic-Card-Reader-/201182805850?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item2ed76dff5a

According to an old kbdmania post: Cherry browns, PS/2 connector, no trackpoint.

http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/review/1227083

Picked one up for the novelty factor; keys are basically 1:1 replacement with any G81/G80-1800.  Interested to see how beat up mine is.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Desko BMOS 4020 U
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 08:30:21 »
it's the elbowglue SPOS, I've been wanting one for a while.

MSRP is over $800 according to djdmatic

Note that this is the pad printed version instead of doubleshot.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 October 2014, 08:36:53 by dorkvader »

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 08:42:10 »

What the heck is that?

And why should MSRP be so expensive? Just on account of yet another metal plate? It just looks like yet another credit card reader, something that Cherry might sell for $200-300. It looks tempting, but experience tells me this kind of keyboard will have 3x4x5x layered super industrial NASA Mars voyager grade PCB and be hell to desolder.

BUT, hehheh, Dorkvader if you promise to desolder it for me, I'll consider buying one and sending it to you to play with.

Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 08:44:21 »

What the heck is that?

And why should MSRP be so expensive? Just on account of yet another metal plate? It just looks like yet another credit card reader, something that Cherry might sell for $200-300. It looks tempting, but experience tells me this kind of keyboard will have 3x4x5x layered super industrial NASA Mars voyager grade PCB and be hell to desolder.

BUT, hehheh, Dorkvader if you promise to desolder it for me, I'll consider buying one and sending it to you to play with.

desko makes really high-quality stuff for the airline industry. I got a good look at the desko penta barcode readers the TSA was using when I flew the other day.

It's got an expensive passport reader on the top, that accounts for part of it.

They were likely a custom order, that also accounts for some of the price.

I ordered one, but if you want one sent to me, we can save on shipping.

here's some info:
https://web.archive.org/web/20120328064211/http://5k177keyboards.wordpress.com/

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 09:19:56 »

What the heck is that?

desko makes really high-quality stuff for the airline industry. I got a good look at the desko penta barcode readers the TSA was using when I flew the other day.

It's got an expensive passport reader on the top, that accounts for part of it.

They were likely a custom order, that also accounts for some of the price.

I ordered one, but if you want one sent to me, we can save on shipping.

here's some info:
https://web.archive.org/web/20120328064211/http://5k177keyboards.wordpress.com/

Wait a moment, according to the info these guys are PCB mounted. Now that means no need to desolder, but isn't it a lot less durable then? I only just solved a problem with one of my keyboards where a micro crack or whatever that broke the copper traces was suspected. That was quite a pain. I can't imagine someone would pay $884 USD for this PCB-mounted kb unless the PCB itself was ultra durable.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 09:26:20 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 September 2015, 11:24:42 by esoomenona »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 09:34:31 »
Something worth mentioning..

Those PCBs that Ivan was selling from GMK? I believe those are for this particular board.

http://cafe.naver.com/sfkey/152
http://i.imgur.com/haeRIi0.jpg

Same layout, same breakout. It means that you should be able to make this ISO compatible.

I'm quite tempted. Look like very solid boards. It's a shame that shipping is 3x the cost of the board.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 October 2014, 09:36:59 by Photekq »
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 10:59:49 »
got mine in. PCB is the GMK one ivan was selling. I rate it "meh". I'm deciding if I want to strip it for parts or sell it.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 13:45:45 »
got mine in. PCB is the GMK one ivan was selling. I rate it "meh". I'm deciding if I want to strip it for parts or sell it.

Is it really so bad? Was most of their cost from the passport reader? I was thinking of buying, but if they don't have Dorkvader's stamp of approval then it simply isn't worth the money especially with me having essentially migrated to my ghetto ergodox after having solved the bottleneck preventing me from separately using the keyboards widely apart - the wrist rests.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 15:00:12 »

Is it really so bad? Was most of their cost from the passport reader? I was thinking of buying, but if they don't have Dorkvader's stamp of approval then it simply isn't worth the money especially with me having essentially migrated to my ghetto ergodox after having solved the bottleneck preventing me from separately using the keyboards widely apart - the wrist rests.
Likely. It's got a camera complicated lens/mirror setup and an entire OCR engine / daughterboard. Looks pretty expensive.

I did a full teardown, even though my phone keeps crashing in camera mode I got "some" pictures.

I don't know what my stamp of approval is worth, but there's some good aspects and some bad, just like anything else. I'll make a post exploring some of these.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 16:20:16 »

Likely. It's got a camera complicated lens/mirror setup and an entire OCR engine / daughterboard. Looks pretty expensive.

I did a full teardown, even though my phone keeps crashing in camera mode I got "some" pictures.

I don't know what my stamp of approval is worth, but there's some good aspects and some bad, just like anything else. I'll make a post exploring some of these.

I am basically concerned about the keyboard functions, of course. Ultimately we are not buying these for the specialized functions that probably can't be adapted for other uses. Unless you can find some way of changing that passport reader into a scanner?

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 13:28:20 »
Went ahead and bought this... Where should I go for replacement keys?

I think I heard SP is good...
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 13:59:02 »
Best replacement for keys would be to take them off a G81-7000H**US. Direct 100% fit and they can often be found for pretty cheap.

Offline ebacho

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 16:42:55 »
Keep in mind that the spacebar is 6x center stemmed, rather than 6x offset like many cherry spacebars are.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 19:56:44 »
The ones I have are not, and also have stepped caps lock... so I guess YMMV.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 20:43:38 »
I got this and didn't like it. I took some pictures and will upload them soon. I plan to part out the rest.