Author Topic: Hello, from the Little Red Dot!  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Veridis

Hello, from the Little Red Dot!
« on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 07:30:25 »
I'm from Singapore aka The Little Red Dot. I've lived in the US for half of 2013 while studying at UVA,and it was great fun! Already started some threads in the Keyboard forum, so this thread is overdue.

In late 2008 my expensive Razer keyboard started malfunctioning. When I opened it up I was so pissed to find it had the same crappy rubber membrane as $5 keyboards. Went online and got myself a Das Keyboard.

I have been using it for 6 years without buying any other keyboard or key caps, and it has held up really well. The switches are so broken in that they don't really have the tactile bump like on the browns. Only the click remains. I bottom out every key on the Das, and it makes a loud plastic on metal sound that I enjoy.

Recently I got my first job as a system analyst, and used the crappy Acer membrane keyboard that was assigned to me. After 3 months I got sick of it and bought a Ducky zero TKL with brown switches. This was just 2 weeks ago.

I started to really like the ability to have my mousing hand nearer to the center, and started reading the forums in search of a quality TKL for home. I realized that I no longer liked new MX blue switches because they required much more effort to type on than on my old blue switches.

It was either another MX brown TKL or the Novatouch with 45g topre. I've tried the novatouch in store on two separate days and finally decided to buy it to try out topre, variety being the spice of life and all. The fact that it had MX stems meant I could get nice key caps now, even if I end up selling it and going back to Cherry MX only.

After only 2 days with a topre keyboard I still don't know if it is "better" than MX, they are really too different to compare. I enjoy both.

Thank you for reading!
Ducky Shine 3 TKL (MX Brown) | CM Rapid-i (MX Brown) | Realforce 87u 45g Uniform | CM Novatouch | Ducky Zero TKL (MX Brown) | Das Keyboard III (MX Blue)

Offline Veridis

Re: Hello, from the Little Red Dot!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 07:33:56 »
Also, Tapatalk has been creating duplicate threads every time I create one, really annoying!
Ducky Shine 3 TKL (MX Brown) | CM Rapid-i (MX Brown) | Realforce 87u 45g Uniform | CM Novatouch | Ducky Zero TKL (MX Brown) | Das Keyboard III (MX Blue)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 18:34:40 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Topre is quite different to other mechanical keyboards.  Give yourself a couple of weeks of regularly using it, and see how you feel then.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Veridis

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 21:28:32 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Topre is quite different to other mechanical keyboards.  Give yourself a couple of weeks of regularly using it, and see how you feel then.

Been using it for a week now, and it's a tie bewtween 45g Topre and MX Brown.  :p