Author Topic: O rings, how many per caps?  (Read 4250 times)

Offline steve.v

O rings, how many per caps?
« on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 12:16:01 »
So I just received some clear o rings; Am I suppose to put two or just one per key caps? I currently have blues; and so far I can tell the sound is muffled a bit however the travel is somewhat the same. Best regards, thx.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 October 2014, 12:20:56 by steve.v »

Offline steve.v

Re: O rings, how many per caps?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 12:29:35 »
Sorry, after installing everything, I do now notice a slight decrease in travel; much better in my opinion, thx.

Offline saint_james

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 12:32:30 »
It depends on two factors: (a) the presence of crossbars at the base of the keycap socket, as commonly found on OEM and Cherry profile keycaps; and (b) the thickness of your o-rings.

If you have the crossbars on your keycaps and are using ~1.2-to-1.5mm o-rings, a single o-ring per keycap should do the trick.  If your keycaps lack the crossbar supports, you may need a thicker o-ring or may need to stack two o-rings per keycap. 
C = Q/V ≈ ε₀ (A/d)
Active: FC980C | FC660C Low-noise | RF 87u 55g | RF 23u
Inactive: WASD v2 | Pok3r | QFR | Aukey KM-G9 | Compaq RT101
Dead and buried: Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite

Offline steve.v

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 12:47:48 »
It depends on two factors: (a) the presence of crossbars at the base of the keycap socket, as commonly found on OEM and Cherry profile keycaps; and (b) the thickness of your o-rings.

If you have the crossbars on your keycaps and are using ~1.2-to-1.5mm o-rings, a single o-ring per keycap should do the trick.  If your keycaps lack the crossbar supports, you may need a thicker o-ring or may need to stack two o-rings per keycap.

I am currently using PBT DSA profile caps; ones I got with my ergodox.

« Last Edit: Tue, 14 October 2014, 13:00:14 by steve.v »

Offline saint_james

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 13:00:55 »
No crossbars... you will need to double up or use fat o-rings.
C = Q/V ≈ ε₀ (A/d)
Active: FC980C | FC660C Low-noise | RF 87u 55g | RF 23u
Inactive: WASD v2 | Pok3r | QFR | Aukey KM-G9 | Compaq RT101
Dead and buried: Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite

Offline steve.v

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 13:19:23 »
Gotcha... appreciated, thx a lot!

Offline Tony

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 22:23:20 »
O-ring dampen the reactive force/sound as well as the typing feel, so it's a trade between typing feel and the sound.

After trying o-rings, I prefer typing without them.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 03:37:27 »
On DSA caps, I believe one thick oring and one thin oring or two thin orings will give a nice balance of feeling and travel reduction. Two thick ones is a bit too much, one thick one is too little.

Or simply trampoline mod the switches and never have to fiddle with orings again: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50632.0
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline telegraphist

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 15:38:11 »
So I just received some clear o rings; Am I suppose to put two or just one per key caps? I currently have blues; and so far I can tell the sound is muffled a bit however the travel is somewhat the same. Best regards, thx.
By no means: just try one ring, then two and use whatever number of rings YOU PERSONALLY prefer with your own favorite switches. Rely on your own feelings of best comfort: some people are light typers, some are heavy typers, some like to use whole travel distance to the very "bottom", some like to reduce it a little, or more than just a little.
Some enjoy hard "landings" while bottoming out, others prefer it to be soft.
Choose your own setup and be happy with it :thumb: