Author Topic: [IC] Oak Wrist Rest  (Read 2374 times)

Offline janlonden

[IC] Oak Wrist Rest
« on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 13:29:21 »
Update: we have decided to lower the price to $45.

Hi!

Recently I received my poker 2 and asked my brother(who works as a woodworker when he's not rescuing people from burning buildings) to create a wrist rest that would match my poker. I was really impressed by what he came up with and thought I'd ask you all on geekhack if you'd be interested in buying one.

The logo is pretty big on this one but it'd be half its size in future editions. It's made of oak but you could choose any wood type you'd like. We thought $45 plus shipping(from Sweden) would be a reasonable price considering the wood type and that it's handmade.

Let us know if you're interested!

Greetings,
Jan Londén
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 October 2014, 03:37:11 by janlonden »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
Re: [IC] Oak Wrist Rest
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 13:35:09 »
Hmm do you intend this to be a group buy or more like an service that you come and order? Are you offering different sizing?
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline janlonden

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 13:41:25 »
I'm not really sure what a group buy is and what the benefits would be with that. We were thinking about making and selling when needed.

About the sizes, we can make them any size you need  :)

Offline janlonden

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 14:11:36 »
Apparently this thread fits more into the artisan services forum. Mods could you please move this there?

Thank you!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 20:40:16 »
$60 + shipping is really expensive for oak especially since that looks unfinished.  I sold my curly maple one that was dyed with a two tone dye job and finished in Arm-R-Seal for $40 + shipping since a considerable amount of work went into them.  I wouldn't pay more than $25-30 for a bare oak or even oiled oak 60% wrist wrest.  I know if you're churning out several at once they're incredibly easy and cheap to make.  A 60% in oak would cost me $5 or less in materials and I could churn out probably 15-20 unfinished ones in an hour.  Additionally, Filco's wood wrist wrests are ~$45-50 shipped to the US.  I seem to remember The_Beast's being in that price range and his are more expensive joined pieces of wood.

I don't mean to crap on the thread, just point out that the pricing is a more than a little bit high for the product.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 21:32:14 »
$60 + shipping is really expensive for oak especially since that looks unfinished.  I sold my curly maple one that was dyed with a two tone dye job and finished in Arm-R-Seal for $40 + shipping since a considerable amount of work went into them.  I wouldn't pay more than $25-30 for a bare oak or even oiled oak 60% wrist wrest.  I know if you're churning out several at once they're incredibly easy and cheap to make.  A 60% in oak would cost me $5 or less in materials and I could churn out probably 15-20 unfinished ones in an hour.  Additionally, Filco's wood wrist wrests are ~$45-50 shipped to the US.  I seem to remember The_Beast's being in that price range and his are more expensive joined pieces of wood.

I don't mean to crap on the thread, just point out that the pricing is a more than a little bit high for the product.

Yea, pricing seems high for oak. Granted, I will give you that that are $60 shipped and laser etched.

15-20 seems high, I think I could do around 7 sanded but not finished per hour but I'm a stickler about sanding. If I did something like this, I'd go for around $35 + shipping without logo. However, I've never had any group wanting a mass produced, same style rest. Most have been single, custom ones ordered.

Good luck! I love seeing new wood workers on GH :D
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 21:36:54 »
Yeah, I wasn't including proper sanding in that time frame.  I like to do a rough sand, then a proper sand before I finish.

Offline janlonden

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 22:53:45 »

Thank you for your reply.

This is great information! Please let us know if any of you have more suggestions.

I'll discuss this with my brother and see if it would be possible and worth it to lower the price.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 October 2014, 22:57:28 by janlonden »

Offline janlonden

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 03:31:45 »

We decided to go down to $45 :thumb:

The wrist rest might look unfinished but it actually has a paraffine oil finish, apparently it has a specific Scandinavian style. It's also sanded to be silky smooth.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 06:50:55 »
Welcome! Always nice to have more options.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline janlonden

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 07:49:50 »
Welcome! Always nice to have more options.

Thanks!