Author Topic: What keycaps are you using on your Novatouch?  (Read 21514 times)

Offline Veridis

What keycaps are you using on your Novatouch?
« on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 10:49:48 »
Hello, I just got a Novatouch recently and am wondering what keycaps do you guys have on yours :)
I'm still using the stock keys, thinking about getting a blank keycap set.

Also, what keycap profile have you tried and prefer on the Novatouch?
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 November 2014, 00:00:47 by Veridis »
Ducky Shine 3 TKL (MX Brown) | CM Rapid-i (MX Brown) | Realforce 87u 45g Uniform | CM Novatouch | Ducky Zero TKL (MX Brown) | Das Keyboard III (MX Blue)

Offline intelli78

Re: What keycaps are you using on your Novatouch?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 15:36:31 »
Right now, stock.

I like the way Ducky PBT sounds/feels. Don't like GMK. The only Ducky caps I have are blank, though, and I don't want to run blanks -- have a couple dyesub Ducky sets on the way and will put one of those on when they arrive.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 21:08:37 »
I've always been wondering, are the Ducky thick PBT made from the same place as Poker 2 keycaps?

EDIT:  Sorry not meant to derail but I don't have a Novatouch yet so I can't contribute to this post.  :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 22:43:57 »
At the moment I am using my PBT engraved set :

Offline intelli78

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 08:54:04 »
At the moment I am using my PBT engraved set :

Show Image

Load = fired

Where did that set come from?

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 10:19:41 »
With the exception of the red Esc, it is a set that used to be made by KBC. There were available in black and white, either blank or engraved. I was lucky to get my hands on one of the last sets available at the time. I wish they were still in production...

Offline intelli78

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 11:10:53 »
With the exception of the red Esc, it is a set that used to be made by KBC. There were available in black and white, either blank or engraved. I was lucky to get my hands on one of the last sets available at the time. I wish they were still in production...

I see. I used to have a similar (same I guess) set on a Poker, but I didn't realize they made the rest of the keys too :)

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 13:39:34 »
Yes — they are the same as the stock key caps that were on certain Pokers. They are no thick PBT, but they are still very nice in my opinion.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 05:23:31 »
If anyone is interested enough, I bought two sets of those engraved thin PBT caps in 2011 (one black and one white) and they've been great. I think some of the later ones have messed up cursive legends.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 16:13:17 »
Leopold keycaps :)
Will probably put my vortex caps on my novatouch

Offline Veridis

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 03:37:06 »

Are they the ones in this thread?
Been reading about Keycaps since I started this thread. So many choices! Cherry vs OEM profile, blank vs side printed.  :confused:
Ducky Shine 3 TKL (MX Brown) | CM Rapid-i (MX Brown) | Realforce 87u 45g Uniform | CM Novatouch | Ducky Zero TKL (MX Brown) | Das Keyboard III (MX Blue)

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 10:55:58 »
If I get mine I'll throw some Dolch DSA on =O

I much prefer DSA for the most part =(

Offline intelli78

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 16:43:55 »

Been reading about Keycaps since I started this thread. So many choices! Cherry vs OEM profile, blank vs side printed.  :confused:

I just put a set of these on my Novatouch and they are absolutely awesome. They look great, feel great, and sound great. I prefer them to everything I've tried so far, including GMK, Ducky PBT, and BSP PBT.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 16:45:54 »
Nice photos Intelli!
So fresh and so clean.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline intelli78

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 16:55:26 »
"Clean" really does describe the combination of those caps with the minimally branded Novatouch. I mentioned earlier that I didn't want to run blanks on my NT, but these almost convince me otherwise. Too bad Leopold hasn't released black blanks.  :(

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 17:14:07 »
Very nice Novatouch :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 18:21:44 »
"Clean" really does describe the combination of those caps with the minimally branded Novatouch. I mentioned earlier that I didn't want to run blanks on my NT, but these almost convince me otherwise. Too bad Leopold hasn't released black blanks.  :(
Yea I really want those blank blacks myself too

Offline Veridis

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 19:20:19 »
We should all PM widebasket to ask for it ;D

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 19:35:54 »
These.

Novatouch by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 21:01:56 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 21:37:11 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 21:48:16 »
These.

Show Image

Novatouch by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

I feel as though this has been missing from my life.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 00:56:35 »
Show off.
Go touch type with blanks :/

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 10:37:58 »
He said Leopold do not plan to make black blanks in the near future, which sucks.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 12:40:57 »
I got a similar response from him last week as well.

According to him we're going to be stuck with blank navy caps for a while. Speaking of which just bought another set :).

Kinda makes me glad i got that blank black vortex set a while back.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 12:47:46 »

A few of us have already tried that. :D

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 18:13:46 »
Still sucks though. I do not understand that decision considering they do not actually have to produce a new set.

Offline Volvicsoda

• Want some soda?
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 01:37:25 »

I just put a set of these on my Novatouch and they are absolutely awesome. They look great, feel great, and sound great. I prefer them to everything I've tried so far, including GMK, Ducky PBT, and BSP PBT.

Show Image

Show Image

can't agree more. love the way these keycaps sound & feel.
FC660C, Realforce 104UK-HiPro, Novatouch TKL, NMB RT101+, NMB 8755C+, BTC-5339 Cyrilic, IBM 1390131, IBM SSK,G86-52400, G80-8113,  MX-MINI, G81-3077, Skidata, Filco Camo, 3000SAG, 1724SPF, GMK C. Orange, GMK Dolch, GMK WoB, GMK TA, Filco SA...

Offline acantha

• Aure Entuluva
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 01:39:01 »
I just put my newly received Galaxy Class set on, and i'm LOVING it.

All the Happy Hacking Things

Offline Sov

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 23:43:33 »
Great choice intelli78 - went with the exact same set.  Was hoping they'd have a bit more of a textured feel, but the material and sound are great.

Offline Veridis

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 12:47:03 »
Just got the Leopold Pbts in white, got a quick snapshot. Gonna try some keyboard photography when I'm free :D
The stabilizers are really noisy with these keys though.

Offline Veridis

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 04:46:47 »
Hmm, the shorter cherry profile takes away some pf the tactile feedback at the top of the stroke. It seems that taller keycaps have more "pop"  at the beginning because any effect of off-center keypresses are magnified and a little more force is required to actuate.

When deliberately pressing Stock OEM keys dead center, the switch feel is identical to these cherry profile pbt.

This may be the reason that some people felt the 45g Topre switch on the Novatouch feel heavier than on other topre keyboards.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 01:21:19 »
I took my Leopold PBT off to try out the Tai Hao Olivette that just arrived from Massdrop.

They look good on the NT:

As for the feel, they are actually pretty comparable to the stock caps. The shifts/enter are nice and high, so they don't smack against the plastic tabs.
I'll put the Leo PBT back on soon, but these are not bad.

Offline Veridis

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 02:50:23 »
Wow intelli, the color scheme of those keycaps are really nice!

Added Ducky White engraved pbt to my Novatouch. The pbt doesn't feel as nice as the realforce's or the Leopold pbt, but it's OEM profile and also feels quite "chunky" because of it's thickness.
The engraving is also extremely difficult to see, which is great because the legends disappear if you're not looking hard :D

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 07:19:43 »
So the consensus is that Cherry/Stepculture 2 profile does not work well with the Novatouch's stabilized switches?

I was thinking about getting the Leopolds or something similar, but if it's as bad as it sounds I might forget about that idea for now.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 08:29:07 »
So the consensus is that Cherry/Stepculture 2 profile does not work well with the Novatouch's stabilized switches?

I was thinking about getting the Leopolds or something similar, but if it's as bad as it sounds I might forget about that idea for now.

Cherry profile feels fantastic on the Novatouch, IMO.

Offline Veridis

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 09:30:58 »

It would be better if you already had some cherry profile keycaps lying around to try. There are quite a few people reporting about having problems with cherry/low profile keycaps (myself included) but there seems to be an equal number of people around being satisfied. Even when just comparing the same keycaps (Leopold pbt), different people feel differently.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 09:38:22 »
*Facepalm*

I totally forgot I had an SP RGB PBT set lying around. I'll try that on to see how they do on the stabilized switches... Regardless, thanks for your feedback!

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 09:56:15 »
Okay so tried the keys on and they are indeed very noisy on the stabilized switches; they "clack" even when pressed lightly, nearly like bottoming out on Cherry MX. I am sad Panda.

Offline Veridis

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 18:03:23 »
Okay so tried the keys on and they are indeed very noisy on the stabilized switches; they "clack" even when pressed lightly, nearly like bottoming out on Cherry MX. I am sad Panda.
Your experience mirrors mine then, unfortunately :(
I don't know how anyone can tolerate that kind of clacking, it's horrible.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 November 2014, 18:09:40 by Veridis »

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 20:21:55 »
I agree it's not pleasant at all. I guess I will have to stick with OEM profile on the Novatouch...

Offline intelli78

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 02:57:26 »

On my board, Cherry caps clack against the switch housings, but Leopold PBT does not. The stabs are loud no matter what but the Leo caps are great on the NT.

Offline Veridis

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 19:04:41 »
Hmm, after a few days of using the thick OEM Ducky PBT, I have a hypothesis that heavier keycaps make a louder 'clack' on the upstroke. The stock thin abs keycaps and the keycaps on the Realforce 87u (which is medium thickness, but probably much lighter because they are shorter) were quieter.
I have a feeling that engineers at Topre knew this, and so made the stems on their keycaps protrude a little to decrease keycap height but still maintaining clearnace.

Offline snipars

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 21:24:18 »
Vortex doubleshot PBTs, although I'd like to get some DSA keycaps from signatureplastics, or maybe ORIGINATIVE's classic beige keyset 
would anyone else agree that the difference between ABS and PBT on topre isn't as big as the difference between ABS and PBT on cherry MX, it's still a big difference and i'd rather use PBT but i don't find it as necessary as PBT on MX
Duck Octagon + Gateron Black |HHKB Pro 2 | Poker 2 + Vintage Black + Tex case | Unicomp Ultra Classic | WASD V2 |

Offline redeye

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 12 November 2014, 03:52:18 »
Got my iso novatouch yesterday and i'm chuffed. Only downsides so far are a noisy enter and right shift.

Does anyone know where to get an extra spacebar spring? I might try it under the enter to see if it helps.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 17:48:30 »
I've been tweaking my Novatouch for quite some time, and I've finally gotten it to be almost as enjoyable to type on as my silenced RF87UB55. My modifications include the following:

+ Silencing Rings
+ Lubed stabilizers
+ Self-adhesive foam squares under the spacebar
+ Ducky PBT keycaps in OEM profile

The silencing rings substantially attenuated the return-stroke clack noise, and lubing the stabilizers and putting foam pads under the spacebar greatly attenuated stabilizer rattle.

I've tried a number of other keycap sets, including stock, SP ABS double-shots, Originative ABS double-shots, Imsto dye-sub PBT, Leopold PBT, Vortex PBT double-shots, and Ducky PBT in OEM profile. I found that Cherry and Leopold profile produced contact noise on the downstroke; this was almost eliminated by using the higher OEM profile.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 02:59:13 »
I've read that SA profile are great on the Novatouch, but haven't seen any posters yet in this thread using them  :(

I know Muirium is rocking DSA Granite on his and loving it.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 08:50:57 »
I've read that SA profile are great on the Novatouch, but haven't seen any posters yet in this thread using them  :(

Yes, on the theory that a high profile should work well on the NT, I am hoping someday to get an SA profile set. The only problem with that is that it is my understanding that there are technical issues with using PBT for the SA profile, and I much prefer typing on PBT rather than ABS.

I've also tried the Granite set on the NT. It looks great and works well in terms of downstroke noise, but I have difficulty typing on the set. I'm not sure how much of the problem arises from the spherical tops vs. the flat DSA profile, but I think it is mostly the flat profile. Nevertheless, the Granite set is so beautiful I intend to hold onto it and keep trying until I adapt to the profile.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 19:03:26 »

I enjoyed SA just fine on the Novatouch, but I prefer GMK so that's what I use.  :)