Author Topic: Infinity: A 60% Keyboard Designed by Haata now Available on Massdrop!  (Read 116951 times)

Offline blackbox

Re: Infinity: A 60% Keyboard Designed by Haata now Available on Massdrop!
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 00:49:38 »
Probably going to buy one :)
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 05:15:50 »
pointing at configuration does not answer if layouts are user customizable,  how many layers or the level of macro support for the controller.   

pointing at a blank configuration suggests there may be little software support for this chip.   More information please.

Thanks
T
https://www.writelatex.com/read/zzqbdwqjfwwf

I'm happy about this drop mostly because I've rediscovered the writeLaTeX website thanks to it.

Offline margo baggins

• Dungeon Dweller
  • * Maker
  • Get back to work!
Re: 60% Keyboard Designed by Haata now Available on Massdrop!
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 05:22:51 »
I thought ripster said he was the #1 keyboard expert. :p

Er keyboards science - there is nothing better.
I got boards.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 09:36:01 »
Did squirrel get cred for his gifs being used on massdrop?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 10:29:25 »
God damnit.

I was so excited for this until I saw that damned 1x backspace clustier-****.

Soooo close. Maybe I'll just get another Poker II with clears and swap out the PCB with a fully programmable one.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 10:43:58 »
Did squirrel get cred for his gifs being used on massdrop?

I've mentioned it to Massdrop before, I think they credited him then but I don't remember.

Offline Parak

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 11:04:38 »
God damnit.

Soooo close. Maybe I'll just get another Poker II with clears and swap out the PCB with a fully programmable one.

The intention is to use \| key as backspace. Or any key for that matter since it's fully remapable.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 11:24:44 »
God damnit.

The intention is to use \| key as backspace. Or any key for that matter since it's fully remapable.

Oh trust me, I now. That damn backspace and \| key arrangement is the only reason I couldn't stick with the HHKB. The pain it caused my right little finger was absolutely excruciating.

I needs me a big ass backspace key in the upper right.

Offline Arcoril

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 11:35:24 »
God damnit.

Oh trust me, I now. That damn backspace and \| key arrangement is the only reason I couldn't stick with the HHKB. The pain it caused my right little finger was absolutely excruciating.

I needs me a big ass backspace key in the upper right.

I'm in the same boat. My muscle memory has me squarely hitting the backspace in the center of the key. Remapping one of those 1u keys to backspace would drive me nuts! I really like this board, though, and I'm desperately hoping for a future revision that has a standard backspace. Optional support for a 2.75u right shift would also be a nice touch if only to make it even easier to find keycap sets.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 13:46:18 »
What has me most intrigued is the new controller and KLL. Might bug Haata about it.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 14:55:41 »
Decided to go ahead and send MD my $. Went with the "hacker" layout and Matias tactile/clicky switches along with the black blank PBT keycaps. I like every aspect of the layout; I'll worry about keycap availability later.

Offline madik

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 14:59:01 »
I dont like the naked PCB. Wish it had a bottom plate and some covers on the sides.

Offline wes1099

• Technology and Dog Enthusiast
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 15:30:37 »
I would 100% buy one if I had an extra $100 to spend. Mechanical keyboard desires are the only thing that inspire me to get a job, but there are not many job opportunities for highschool students in my area...

[Leopold FC660C]     [GON NeRD 60]    [Infinity Keyboard]    [ Model M Silver Label]
[Topre 45g Silent]     [Gateron Black]    [Cherry MX Black]     [Model Number 1390636]
                                                                                         [May 20, 1987]

Offline wes1099

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 15:49:14 »
Wait a second... How does it stay in position on the desk? Does it have rubber feet?

[Leopold FC660C]     [GON NeRD 60]    [Infinity Keyboard]    [ Model M Silver Label]
[Topre 45g Silent]     [Gateron Black]    [Cherry MX Black]     [Model Number 1390636]
                                                                                         [May 20, 1987]

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 15:50:52 »
Nope, but if you put it on a rubber mat, it won't slide around. I always keep my keyboards on an overgrown mousepad (QcK+ or MM200XL). It dampens sound as well.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 15:56:50 »
Wait a second... How does it stay in position on the desk? Does it have rubber feet?
It actually sits on a desk pretty well. But you could definitely add some kind of rubber feet (or sugru?) if you need, or put it on a rubber mat like davkol suggests, if you really need it to never budge.

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 16:05:40 »
noob question here, but i have no background in soldering together anything. I own a soldering iron with a pencil sized tip. So i really just need to pop the switches in the pcp and solder "cones" on the bottom? no other routing wires or diodes?
sell out and eat ass

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 16:06:29 »
noob question here, but i have no background in soldering together anything. I own a soldering iron with a pencil sized tip. So i really just need to pop the switches in the pcp and solder "cones" on the bottom? no other routing wires or diodes?

pretty much yes, did you see the assembly instructions?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B44lwlGYKwHXQWQyWHVGUWdPdkU/view

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 16:07:41 »

yeah i was just double checking here... with the people i trust :P
sell out and eat ass

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 16:09:09 »

yeah i was just double checking here... with the people i trust :p

The only thing I would question is your 'pencil' tip. The tip I use is more of a wedge shape so you get better surface area to transfer the heat easier.

also this is how you do it 50:08
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 16:13:19 by SpAmRaY »

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 16:11:47 »

The only thing I would question is your 'pencil' tip. The tip I use is more of a wedge shape so you get better surface area to transfer the heat easier.

yeah i planned on running by the hardware shop and checking out some different tips. I feel the one im using now may be a little to fat. Thanks for the help, i would hate to butcher another keyboard  :-X
sell out and eat ass

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 16:17:54 »

yeah i planned on running by the hardware shop and checking out some different tips. I feel the one im using now may be a little to fat. Thanks for the help, i would hate to butcher another keyboard  :-X

nah, fat tips are the best for MX switch soldering. Smaller tips don't heat the PCB/joint very fast.

Offline wes1099

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 17:11:51 »
That is pretty much it. Soldering is really easy, I have been doing it ever since I was 13.

[May 20, 1987]

Offline feizor

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 17:46:54 »
Does the 1.5u type bottom row require 6.0u space bar?

Offline wes1099

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 18:04:29 »
Does the 1.5u type bottom row require 6.0u space bar?
I believe it does. That is at least what the layout pictures say on massdrop.

I hope that this thing hits the lowest price soon, because for $111 shipped to VA, that is a deal for a DIY 60% kit.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 18:07:34 by wes1099 »

[May 20, 1987]

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 21:11:55 »

chisel tip is probably your best bet
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 22:03:19 »
Okay, keycaps update:

(1) From what I understand, there’s going to be a separate massdrop sale for dye-sub printed keycaps, hopefully up within a few days. Unfortunately DCS keycaps are difficult (read: expensive) for SP to do dyesubs on, and DCS Alps keycaps are also substantially more expensive than DSA. As a result, the dyesub keycaps are going to also be DSA. (Which I’m pretty frustrated about, but oh well, it is what it is. They should still be quite pretty; just not ideal to type on.)

(2) I’m hoping there can also be DCS blanks offered, but I’m not sure exactly when that will get up, or if it’ll be easy to hit MOQ. DCS blanks would also be more expensive than DSA. Alps DCS in particular is pretty pricey. We’ll see how it goes.

(3) Finally, I’m hoping that Tai Hao can make blank and/or doubleshot ABS caps (especially hopefully for Alps, but MX would be nice too). I’m not sure if they can do the spacebar, but all the other key shapes are stuff they could do in the 80s and 90s for Alps-mount caps (I believe also for costar-style stabilizers), so I’m hopeful they haven’t lost that ability since then. Contacting Tai Hao and figuring out just what’s possible, then organizing it, etc. might take a few weeks. So no promises, just a hope.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 08:20:13 »
Tai Hao MOQ is like 500 sets which is what has been the huge obstacle for Alps caps from them jacobulus. Hopefully MD can ram that MOQ through but I'm not that hopeful.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 08:25:43 »
ram that MOQ through
new sig quote.

Honestly, I don't know. I think if MD is wanting to do like test keyboards with different layouts every month or two this will not work out, but if they want to do a bigger quarterly GBs for comon or popular stuff (like ergodox) then it could work. Major issue is that matias is much less popular than cherry MX right now.

I think a white / colour tai hao set over matias switches with RGBLEDs underneath would drive interest considerably with some of the "bling" or "Gamer" crowd who have been uninterested or unaware of matias switches.

Offline dante

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 10:06:29 »
Tai Hao MOQ is like 500 sets which is what has been the huge obstacle for Alps caps from them jacobulus. Hopefully MD can ram that MOQ through but I'm not that hopeful.

Contact KBParadise about this.  They mentioned a while back (in email) that they were waiting on sales feedback/consumer response for the V60MTS before deciding how far into Alps territory they were going to go.  A V80 variant and purchasable sets of TaoHao Alps were under consideration.

Maybe MD can team up to make the MOQ palatable for both parties.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 October 2014, 10:08:25 by dante »

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 10:19:32 »
picked up two without switches / caps.

hoping to source some alps switches in the mean time for when this actually drops :)
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline wes1099

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 14:32:45 »
Come on! Only need 28 more people to join the drop for lowest price!

[May 20, 1987]

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 15:36:19 »
Come on! Only need 28 more people to join the drop for lowest price!

it'll happen.

Even people who don't want to assemble theirs can get them made at a good price.

Offline JackMills

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 15:49:26 »
Just spend some money on a leopold fc660m, but definitely going to try to fund this as well. Matias Quiet Pro or MX Browns, two switches that I want to try, but I can't decide. I like clears but I want to try browns, but then I saw these can have Alps as well...choices.

Offline wes1099

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 15:49:34 »
Does anyone know if either of these are compatible with the infinity PCB?

http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/housings-and-related-parts/103-acrylic-housing-for-nerd-60.html

http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/housings-and-related-parts/17-universal-frameplate-for-60.html

I have to source some $$ and fast before this buy is over.

[May 20, 1987]

Offline dante

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 15:53:16 »
It's only 2 days into the 16 day window - I'd be surprised if the lowest price wasn't unlocked by Sunday night.

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #86 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 16:34:09 »
While the form factor is awkward it hits a good price point and feature set.   I'm hoping the next round offers a 60 plate,  pcb,  and switches.   I will probably go w/ a gon if not.   The group buys while exciting are cruelly open ended when not backed by a vendor directly.
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 17:02:28 »
While the form factor is awkward it hits a good price point and feature set.   I'm hoping the next round offers a 60 plate,  pcb,  and switches.   I will probably go w/ a gon if not.   The group buys while exciting are cruelly open ended when not backed by a vendor directly.

form factor is the same as pure but with split backspace.

this round offers a 60% plate, pcb and switches.

Not sure what you're after

edit:

WHOAH! check this out!

The bottom edge is bent 180 degrees! I like!
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 October 2014, 17:07:13 by dorkvader »

Offline wes1099

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 21:46:53 »
So in theory, GON's universal 60% plate should be compatible with the infinity PCB right?

[May 20, 1987]

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 21:48:52 »
So in theory, GON's universal 60% plate should be compatible with the infinity PCB right?

http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/housings-and-related-parts/17-universal-frameplate-for-60.html

I believe so, yes. I don't think it supports "hacker" layout though.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 21:49:56 »
The bottom edge is bent 180 degrees! I like!
Yeah, that part is very nice in person. Improves rigidity, makes it smooth instead of pointy, helps it avoid scratching the table, and looks nice.

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 22:16:11 »

Show Image

In theory,  practice and theory are the same.   In practice not so much.    The plate  board combo is set up to support alps and cherry.   I  have not read that it was designed to be plate compatible with a gon,  or a reused poker plate.   The designer hasn't posted such a claim.    Shifting spacing a few mils would be enough to  make it not fit together in a standard case even if they mated.
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline wes1099

« Reply #92 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 22:35:42 »

Show Image

Yeah I figured it didn't support the hacker layout, but i don't care about that since I want standard.
I just realized that your personal text under your location is in Latin. I can actually translate that  :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 October 2014, 22:42:58 by wes1099 »

[May 20, 1987]

Offline xybre

• clickityclackclickityclack
    • Music and Stuff
« Reply #93 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 04:56:30 »
The "Infinity Keyboard Configurator" is something else. Click a key and then you can hit the key on your current keyboard, or else you can right click on a key (twice if its already selected) and select a whole bunch of other options.

In normal computer parlance push/pop you push a value and then pop whatever if on the top. So I'm a bit confused about how you can "pop" a particular layer. Is there documentation somewhere for this?

My only real complaint about the keyboard is that the case isn't quite wide enough to accommodate the keycaps. In all the photos you can see the keycaps overhanging the top of the enclosure slightly. That just feels really weird. If it can fit in others cases then its no big deal, but I'd like some confirmation of that.
GON NerD 60 & Duck Eagle & Unicomp Ultra Classic & Das Keyboard Ultimate

Offline feizor

« Reply #94 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 05:48:38 »
If it can fit in others cases then its no big deal, but I'd like some confirmation of that.

If it can fit in other cases, and I can see the poker style mounting holes in the pcb, they should offer PCB only as an option. I'm not a huge fan of the 'hacker' layout because 6x space bars don't usually come in key sets. Much prefer the 1.5,1,1.5,7,1.5,1,1.5 symmetrical layout.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #95 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 07:13:31 »
If it can fit in others cases then its no big deal, but I'd like some confirmation of that.

If it can fit in other cases, and I can see the poker style mounting holes in the pcb, they should offer PCB only as an option. I'm not a huge fan of the 'hacker' layout because 6x space bars don't usually come in key sets. Much prefer the 1.5,1,1.5,7,1.5,1,1.5 symmetrical layout.
Based on how everyone raves about the HHKB and it's layout You'd think the hacker layout would be getting better feedback.

Offline xybre

• Music and Stuff
« Reply #96 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 07:14:28 »

Yeah, me either, thats why if I get one of these I'll get the "Standard" layout option.

Offline xybre

• Music and Stuff
« Reply #97 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 07:59:08 »
In normal computer parlance push/pop you push a value and then pop whatever if on the top. So I'm a bit confused about how you can "pop" a particular layer. Is there documentation somewhere for this?

I just noticed that what it actually displays on the keyboard is different:

So I think push/pop is more like a sticky "move up one layer"/"move down one layer" which, if so, is awesome.

Based on how everyone raves about the HHKB and it's layout You'd think the hacker layout would be getting better feedback.

I always assumed it was just because the whole package was well thought out (and marketed).

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #98 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 08:17:14 »
Yes, you move between the layers rather than conventional push/pop, however the way it works is like a push/pop; if you have a transparent key on layer 2, then it will look for the key in that position on layer 1.

Offline xybre

• Music and Stuff
« Reply #99 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 08:34:50 »
Yes, you move between the layers rather than conventional push/pop, however the way it works is like a push/pop; if you have a transparent key on layer 2, then it will look for the key in that position on layer 1.

Yeah I noticed the transparent function is separate from "clear" which is really nice, so you can make layers with blank keys so you're not hitting one by accident or something.

Still not sure if I should get one of these boards, but its tempting, so I started designing a layout. Whichever programmable keyboard arrives first will be what I beta test this layout on.

It's a work in progress, but here's what I have so far:

https://www.massdrop.com/keyboard/infinity?referer=8DNNWG&hash=3eb878b52e017f303fc93b0f8f47d808

EDIT : The configurator is pretty buggy right now, and its not letting me re-save my configuration. It failed silently so it shows an old version of the layout on the link. Also right-click doesn't work on layers higher than two.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 October 2014, 08:42:56 by xybre »