Author Topic: Nexus 6  (Read 7159 times)

Offline bear95

Nexus 6
« on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 14:22:26 »
Well the new nexus is out with a pricetag of $650 :/
There goes my next phone. And looking at how google has updated the nexus 5 page I'm thinking they won't be releasing a new version anytime soon.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Nexus 6
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 14:23:28 »
I totally missed this! Thanks for posting.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 14:25:15 »
im gonna stick to my HTC One M8, thanks

but the N6 looks pretty decent
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline dante

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 14:26:36 »
I'm still waiting for someone to have the balls to release a flip android phone in the US.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 14:31:02 »
I'm actually pretty disappointed. I was really hoping to get the new Nexus to replace my aging iphone5 but there's not a chance I would get a 6in phone. I was hoping for something closer to like 5.2 or 5.3. Couple that with the fact it now costs almost twice as much as last years phone and I think I'm just going to hold off for something like an M8eye.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 14:39:14 »
Yeah it's too big. You think your iPhail 5 is old, my galaxy s3 is older. I was looking for a replacement, but I'm not really wanting something that's bigger than this thing.

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 14:40:59 »
Yeah it's too big. You think your iPhail 5 is old, my galaxy s3 is older. I was looking for a replacement, but I'm not really wanting something that's bigger than this thing.

I'm in the same boat. I would love to replace my Note 2 with a smaller smartphone.
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 14:41:19 »

My galaxy nexus is older I think  :p  I should be getting my OPO in the mail today, though!

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 16:11:46 »
Too expensive. Completely defeats the purpose of a nexus phone.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 17:02:42 »

My S3 is also dying and I need a replacement. The rear camera, WiFi and audio jack all no longer work... I was also hoping for the N6 to be my perfect phone.. Maybe the Moto X or OnePlus.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 17:08:38 »
I actually am conflicted.

I don't know if I should get the note 4 or the nexus 6.

What are the pros and cons of each phone?

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 17:27:15 »
Nice. I liked (did not love) the nexus 5 mostly because of what you got for the price. However, for me personally, 5.5 inch with minimum bezels is kind of the max size of phone that I find comfortable to use and carry around. The LG G3 for example is about the max size that does not feel awkward to me.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline theteam

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 19:15:24 »
I'm still waiting for someone to have the balls to release a flip android phone in the US.

What for grandpa

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 19:17:32 »
I'm kinda torn on this issue. I've been a Nexus user since the first Nexus, and so far I've loved the progression of the Nexus line. The Galaxy Nexus is a legendary phone and the Nexus 4 was good as well, though it did have it's fair share of flaws. I really love my Nexus 5, but I won't be upgrading to the new one.

Pros :

- Front facing stereo speakers. That's awesome.
- Has excellent build quality as it's based off the Moto X.
- Excellent screen with great PPI.
- Seems to have a half decent camera this time around.
- Massive battery.

Cons :

- The size. Just because it's the Nexus 6 doesn't mean that it has to have a 6 inch screen. That's just too big.
- Yes I realize that it couldn't have such a big battery if the phone wasn't 6 inches. But shave off half an inch and you still have a big phone and a big battery.
- The design. I think it's just straight up ugly. I don't like rounded edges on my phones. I think the HTC M8 is ugly, too. I much prefer the look of the Nexus 5.
- The price. Yes it has better build quality than other Nexus phones did (based off the Moto X), but what the hell? That totally defeats the purpose of a Nexus. I guess they are changing that purpose.

I guess it's not a dev phone anymore, they're trying to go mainstream with it. That said though, I'd still have it over the iPhone 6. Better bang for the buck, too.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 19:28:02 »
I've seen two comments now about how the price factor is something inherent to the whole point of the Nexus line.

This isn't true.

The whole point of the Nexus line was to be able to get a handset that ran an unmodified version of Android, with software updates that weren't encumbered by the carriers or manufacturers, that weren't SIM locked to a particular carrier, and that had incredibly easy access to unlocking the bootloader (and thereby giving access to rooting / different ROMs).

I've been using Android phones since the ADP1, and have used every Nexus phone ever released, so I kinda have some experience with these.

Low price was never a tenet of the Nexus line, it was just something that came around when the Galaxy Nexus came out (Nexus One and Nexus S were full retail price at release). Also of note - when the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, and Nexus 5 were released initially you could only get the 'subsidised' price for the non-SIM locked handset direct from Google. If you bought the handset "off-contract" from anywhere else, it was full retail price.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 October 2014, 19:30:39 by oscillik »
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 19:35:57 »
I was bummed on the price. BUt I wil be trading my Nexus 5 in for this. I love me some Nexus action. Dev support (Roms)
is just too good and way too hit and miss with any other phones.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 19:43:31 »
I was bummed on the price. BUt I wil be trading my Nexus 5 in for this. I love me some Nexus action. Dev support (Roms)

note 4 is pretty solid. i heard.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 01:24:24 »

note 4 is pretty solid. i heard.
I had the note 2. I liked it but swore I would not get another phone with touch wiz. I prefer vanilla android and the aosp Roms always had a bug or two on the Sammy.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 02:58:20 »
No for me. I'm on the N4 atm. Looking for something along the iPhone 6 or OnePlus One size. Nothing bigger.
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 07:14:25 »
I've seen two comments now about how the price factor is something inherent to the whole point of the Nexus line.

This isn't true.

The whole point of the Nexus line was to be able to get a handset that ran an unmodified version of Android, with software updates that weren't encumbered by the carriers or manufacturers, that weren't SIM locked to a particular carrier, and that had incredibly easy access to unlocking the bootloader (and thereby giving access to rooting / different ROMs).

I've been using Android phones since the ADP1, and have used every Nexus phone ever released, so I kinda have some experience with these.

Low price was never a tenet of the Nexus line, it was just something that came around when the Galaxy Nexus came out (Nexus One and Nexus S were full retail price at release). Also of note - when the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, and Nexus 5 were released initially you could only get the 'subsidised' price for the non-SIM locked handset direct from Google. If you bought the handset "off-contract" from anywhere else, it was full retail price.

Yeah I did think it was odd people commentating on price...

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 09:18:59 »

This isn't true.

Yeah I did think it was odd people commentating on price...

Don't get me wrong - it's certainly disappointing that the subsidised price when buying direct from Google seems to have gone the way of the dodo, but a subsidised price was never the point of the Nexus line.

Regardless, I'll still be getting this phone when I can afford to.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 11:22:46 »
Yeah, though I think that because Android and iOS are battling it out so openly that people have an association with all things Apple being massively more expensive than the things they persive them to compete with.

So when Android vs iOS arguments used to be about being open etc it naturally shifted to include price aswell, at least that's the impression I get as an iPhone user. I hear so many silly comments about price and about how much more an android phone can do at half the price etc

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 00:13:28 »

My S3 is also dying and I need a replacement. The rear camera, WiFi and audio jack all no longer work... I was also hoping for the N6 to be my perfect phone.. Maybe the Moto X or OnePlus.

I'm still holding on to my S3 and everything is working fine. I have replaced the back cover as the clips on that started to get lose after a lot of (naked) drops.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 00:19:05 »
I really hope they release a smaller size of this phone, I've been waiting for the nexus 6. I was really let down to see the huge phone. I think AT&T is going to carry it so if they're your provider and your eligible for an upgrade, it shouldn't be too expensive.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 00:45:26 »

I'm still holding on to my S3 and everything is working fine. I have replaced the back cover as the clips on that started to get lose after a lot of (naked) drops.

Nice! Mine has hardly been dropped, but everything is dying on it :( Right now I use it to talk, text and play sudoku

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 15:24:31 »

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 15:42:37 »
I actually am conflicted.

I don't know if I should get the note 4 or the nexus 6.

What are the pros and cons of each phone?

if you like the S Pen and multi-windows and all that jazz, get the Note4
If AOSP/direct updates from Google is important to you, get the Nexus 6

I really hope they release a smaller size of this phone, I've been waiting for the nexus 6. I was really let down to see the huge phone. I think AT&T is going to carry it so if they're your provider and your eligible for an upgrade, it shouldn't be too expensive.

smaller version of this phone is basically the Moto X 2014

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 15:43:55 »

But wasn't the biggest problem with that the fact that the camera was ****?

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 15:49:32 »

But wasn't the biggest problem with that the fact that the camera was ****?

The camera on the moto X 2014 is above avg.  Not the best like the Lumia 930, G3 or the Iphone camera.  But its better than say my M8 lol
Big improvement from the 2013 model.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 18:11:56 »
Really don't give a crap about the camera since it's only a phone. I have my DSLR for taking any type of serious shots.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 19:09:09 »
Really don't give a crap about the camera since it's only a phone. I have my DSLR for taking any type of serious shots.

That's fine but do you carry your DLSR with you everywhere you have your phone?

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 19:58:48 »

According to The Verge, the Nexus 6 has a great camera

Offline Altis

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 21:12:52 »
I'm actually pretty disappointed. I was really hoping to get the new Nexus to replace my aging iphone5 but there's not a chance I would get a 6in phone. I was hoping for something closer to like 5.2 or 5.3. Couple that with the fact it now costs almost twice as much as last years phone and I think I'm just going to hold off for something like an M8eye.

I'm with you on this. What made the Nexus so great was the rock-bottom price for decent hardware and good size, all on vanilla Android.

This new recipe seems to deviate pretty far. It's unfortunately off my shopping list now.

If only some of the newer Windows phones make it to Canada some day...
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 21:19:18 »

I'm with you on this. What made the Nexus so great was the rock-bottom price for decent hardware and good size, all on vanilla Android.

This new recipe seems to deviate pretty far. It's unfortunately off my shopping list now.

If only some of the newer Windows phones make it to Canada some day...

I guess I'll have to keep quoting this for people that have this misunderstanding. It's not a 'new recipe', it's the original recipe.

This isn't true.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 04:14:10 »

If I know that I'm going to be taking pictures that day then yes. I think 90% of smartphones do a good enough job with everyday shots for Instagram and stuff, it's possible to get good shots out of just about anything. And if you're pixel peeping from a smartphone, then well.. I don't see much point in that as it will always be inferior to a good DSLR. What I'm trying to say is that I don't know why people want to take serious photography from a smartphone.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 06:28:29 »

If I know that I'm going to be taking pictures that day then yes. I think 90% of smartphones do a good enough job with everyday shots for Instagram and stuff, it's possible to get good shots out of just about anything. And if you're pixel peeping from a smartphone, then well.. I don't see much point in that as it will always be inferior to a good DSLR. What I'm trying to say is that I don't know why people want to take serious photography from a smartphone.

People don't, but 99% of people can't afford to spend £500-600 on a dedicated camera, I sure can't. So having a decent (better than point and shoot) camera integrated into something you almost require is a huge selling point and benefit.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 11:11:38 »

People don't, but 99% of people can't afford to spend £500-600 on a dedicated camera, I sure can't. So having a decent (better than point and shoot) camera integrated into something you almost require is a huge selling point and benefit.

what are you doing with your pictures?  If posting to FB/Imgur and what not, pretty much any smartphone camera now is going to be fine
if you're printing them out, then you shouldn't be using a smartphone camera to take pictures to begin with.

And a simple point & shoot will produce better picture quality than most smartphone cameras and those are ~$100 or lower.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 11:28:49 »

And a simple point & shoot will produce better picture quality than most smartphone cameras and those are ~$100 or lower.

I get better photos out of my smartphone than my point&shoot.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 11:37:38 »

I get better photos out of my smartphone than my point&shoot.

Agreed. I use the camera on my phone as an every day camera, take pictures of documents, keyboards, friends, family, events...

I actually had a book professionally printed using photo's I took with my old iPhone 4 (an a3 sized book) of about 100 pages and it looked amazing, the picture quality was sharp and it looked really awesome, granted, if you have a DSLR you can take much, much better images... but the jump in price is monumental

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 12:32:39 »

what are you doing with your pictures?  If posting to FB/Imgur and what not, pretty much any smartphone camera now is going to be fine
if you're printing them out, then you shouldn't be using a smartphone camera to take pictures to begin with.

My Nexus 5 (with its 8mp camera) takes better pictures than this thing below, with its 14mp

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 12:47:04 »
if you're comparing like 5+ yr old P&S to modern phones, maybe
but this $100 dollar P&S does as well if not better than most cameras
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-ELPH135-Digital-Camera/dp/B00I58LPYO/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 12:48:47 »
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-ELPH135-Digital-Camera/dp/B00I58LPYO/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

But we arn't talking about most phones, we are talking about the top end smart phones... this is the nexus 6 thread ;)

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 12:49:58 »

It's not over 5 years old...dunno where you get that impression from, but you're wrong.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 12:50:58 »

But we arn't talking about most phones, we are talking about the top end smart phones... this is the nexus 6 thread ;)

I was talkin to Digi about smaller alternative to the nexus 6 for you as he didn't want a 6" phone
I brought up the motox 2014
you were talking about the moto X 2014 camera not being good enough
which i still believe its fine.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 12:52:05 »

It's not over 5 years old...dunno where you get that impression from, but you're wrong.

i was making general comment
btw im sure you're well aware that Megapixels =/= quality

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 12:52:12 »

I was talkin to Digi about smaller alternative to the nexus 6 for you as he didn't want a 6" phone
I brought up the motox 2014
you were talking about the moto X 2014 camera not being good enough
which i still believe its fine.

I wasn't really I was more asking about it as I thought it was one of the weaknesses of the device...

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 12:59:52 »

i was making general comment
btw im sure you're well aware that Megapixels =/= quality

Yes I am well aware.

My point being that quite a lot of high end smartphones have exceeded the quality that can be gotten from point and shoot cameras.

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 19:44:38 »
I will probably get this phone to replace my old Samsung Galaxy S2. :)

Offline Elocutive

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 19:59:52 »
Will be getting this to replace the iPhone 4 I have. Should be a bit of a size shock!  :p
LZCE- Black, red, ergo clears

Wanting Skeldon

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 21:40:13 »
comes down to sensor size.