Author Topic: [IC] Portal custom keycaps  (Read 7965 times)

Offline Natemiester

[IC] Portal custom keycaps
« on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 15:55:15 »
Hey guys. I'm trying my hand at a custom keyboard layout, and I was wondering what you guys thought of my portal/half life layout. I'm considering putting it up on
pimpmykeyboard as an interest check.

Edit: I swapped the colors a bit and removed the large aperture science logo. What do you guys think of the new spacebar? The whole keyboard should be good for PBT dyesub now.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 October 2014, 07:22:14 by Natemiester »

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Portal custom keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 15:56:49 »
I'm not sure, but how does this handle the copyright for Portal with regards to the specialty keys? I know that there are portal keycap sets out there (as I have one), but does PMK have any concerns with that?
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 16:12:18 »
Looks very good.
However I always thought that in portal there was no esc...
Snicker*
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 16:20:21 »
ABS or PBT?

If ABS, you may want to consider the fact that each of the custom legends you're proposing would cost quite a bit of money to have cut.  If PBT, you wouldn't have this issue.

Also, I've moved this to the IC subforum, as it seems like you're still collecting ideas and interest in the keyset.  If that's incorrect, and you have finalized the design to be sent to PMK, please shoot me a PM letting me know that this isn't an IC thread.   :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 16:23:41 »
I like the way you have done the arrow keys!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 16:30:31 »
In order for this to be done with PBT and in dye sublimation then your legends will have to be lighter than the base colour of the key.
Everything checks out aside from the "." on the numpad, esc, and spacebar
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 17:10:00 »
That keyset is pretty sweet, I'd totally be interested in a set, but...

I'm not sure, but how does this handle the copyright for Portal with regards to the specialty keys? I know that there are portal keycap sets out there (as I have one), but does PMK have any concerns with that?

My boyfriend had some portal-based stuff on Etsy (laser-cut acrylic things) and recently Valve had almost everything Portal-related removed (from his shop and the rest of Etsy), unless it was something merely iconic and not a trademarked design. Tread carefully, you may face a cease and desist. Maybe consider writing Valve's marketing department and asking nicely if this is okay?

I know there are already some portal keycaps available (I've got the backlit 1.25x modifiers on my Pure :P) and it's probably because Valve doesn't have any plans to sell their own keycaps in the future that such examples haven't been slapped with C&Ds. I'm not legally well-versed in anything so take this all with a grain of salt. Cheers Natemeister!  :thumb:

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 17:18:28 »
An alternative is to make it more ambiguous. Unfortunately that means no reference to Aperture, no companion cubes, and no Lambda. I think that's what one of the other keysets did when it came to copyrighted subjets.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline jackalope

• Now with 20% more soul.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 17:20:30 »
I need those modifiers.
eh o well

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 17:52:33 »
Love the design, but same concern regarding the copyright issue.

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 18:18:54 »
An alternative is to make it more ambiguous. Unfortunately that means no reference to Aperture, no companion cubes, and no Lambda. I think that's what one of the other keysets did when it came to copyrighted subjets.

Then please explain how Ragnarok did it? And Sherryton?
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 18:24:27 »
I don't know how they did it. Perhaps OP should ask. I don't see my suggestion the check with PMK or to make it ambiguous as unreasonable.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 18:55:25 »
I don't know how they did it. Perhaps OP should ask. I don't see my suggestion the check with PMK or to make it ambiguous as unreasonable.

IMHO I don't think there is a copyright or trademark on them. As for the Lambda, no one can copyright a Greek letter...this set would probably be the safest one to produce.

---

To the OP, PBT will be the best bet because of the sheer number of new legends. I love the Shifts, very novel idea.

Offline Natemiester

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 20:51:36 »
Thank you guys for the input. Looking at PMK's website, it says they will not make any keyboards with copyrighted logos, but I've seen portal keycaps around. It's possible I'd just have to remove some of the obvious logos, like the aperture, black mesa, combine, and possibly companion cube.  And thank you, hoffmanMyster, for moving this. I can't believe I missed this section. I'll probably edit the keys so they can all be PBT dyesub (I would just have to change the 3 black keys to a lighter color, correct?). Also, to 00zeRO, I can't claim credit for the shift keys, the idea belonged to this guy- https://www.reddit.com/r/Portal/comments/1gelqb/custom_made_portal_themed_mechanical_dvorak/ originally. A fair bit of my keyboard is based off of his. I'm totally new at this, so thanks again for the help, guys.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 October 2014, 21:42:14 by Natemiester »

Offline lionblinds

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 21:42:28 »
nice design

Offline SlotH42

• one slow step for sloth
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 00:15:30 »
Honestly if this doesn't happen, please lets make the cake key happen..."The Cake Is a Lie" group buy.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 00:18:01 by SlotH42 »
MP-GBL4 (red) Poker II (clears) Realforce R2TL 55g

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 01:06:33 »
Some Portal keycaps have been done before: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=27740.0
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 01:19:15 »
Yes, but Nate notes that PMK won't do copyrighted keycaps. I believe that the other Portal Keycaps were from people who did a one-time run without concern of copyright (because they wouldn't be continuing to sell them). PMK is a bit of a bigger brand and would have more to lose if something goes wrong.

And as mogo noted, Valve does take an interest if they notice it. I know that Blizzard also takes an interest sometimes.

Offline kitsun8

• In need of some cash
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 09:12:07 »
I am super interested in those arrow keys and it's about all i have money for anyways :))

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 10:13:04 »
Thank you guys for the input. Looking at PMK's website, it says they will not make any keyboards with copyrighted logos, but I've seen portal keycaps around. It's possible I'd just have to remove some of the obvious logos, like the aperture, black mesa, combine, and possibly companion cube.  And thank you, hoffmanMyster, for moving this. I can't believe I missed this section. I'll probably edit the keys so they can all be PBT dyesub (I would just have to change the 3 black keys to a lighter color, correct?). Also, to 00zeRO, I can't claim credit for the shift keys, the idea belonged to this guy- https://www.reddit.com/r/Portal/comments/1gelqb/custom_made_portal_themed_mechanical_dvorak/ originally. A fair bit of my keyboard is based off of his. I'm totally new at this, so thanks again for the help, guys.

FYI if PMK will not do 'copyrighted' Portal stuff then please explain these, I know for a fact that SP produced them for Originitive:

Hence why I don't believe these particular images are copyrighted or trademarked.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 October 2014, 15:56:11 by 00zeRO »

Offline Natemiester

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 13:57:36 »
00zeRO, could you pull up an image of the keycap set SP made? I'd like to see what images they used. I think most of my images are alright copyright-wise, the only image I'm worried about is the Aperture science logo on the space bar, and possibly the black mesa logo.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 15:58:54 »
00zeRO, could you pull up an image of the keycap set SP made? I'd like to see what images they used. I think most of my images are alright copyright-wise, the only image I'm worried about is the Aperture science logo on the space bar, and possibly the black mesa logo.

See my previous post. I fixed the photos. I know that the Polycarbonate Modifiers were made by SP/PMK. I am pretty sure the others were as well. I have also seen backlit versions of the same portal in/out legends on Max Keyboard Keycaps. So, I don't think those images are copyright protected.

Offline Natemiester

Re: [IC] Portal custom keycaps
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 15:56:17 »
I contacted SP about my design, and it turns out most of the images that are used are copyrighted. So I cannot do a group buy.

Offline mogo

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 16:03:34 »
Bummer.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 18:11:02 »
I like the function row

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 18:34:38 »
What about ambiguous images + portal color theme (blue/orange/white) that covers the whole keyset instead of just a few modifiers?

Offline viasacra89

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 03:50:29 »
I'd grab the shift and arrow keys, but not a full set.
|Filco MJ2 TKL Browns|

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 14:20:39 »
If you like the F Row, Ragnarok has them available here.

Offline neiru37

[IC] Portal-themed keyset
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 05:47:27 »
This is sort of a showcase + interest check.

Number keys, Tab, Caps Lock and Windows keys styled with in-game elements.

Arrow keys + Enter styled with in-game elements. Shift + End as the portal icons

The finished product on a RACE 2 (metal was used on some of the keycaps as the RACE 2 has a non-standard layout)
Bank Gothic (poker 2 font) was used because it looks nice with the black border. Blue and Orange keycaps were used on the alpha keys to mimic the colors of the two portals.

With backlighting

While these WASD custom printed keycaps look nice, they don't really feel that good when typed on. While the ABS keys themselves have a better texture than the ABS ones that came originally on my RACE 2, the printing on the legends feels kinda sticky under the fingers.

So I'm sort of doing an interest check to see if other people are intersted in a portal-themed keyboard like this, but made by signature plastics possibly PBT material and DSA profile. Modification suggestions to the original design are also welcome.

Here is a render of the svg file I sent to WASD when I made my order.
82557-0

For suggestions, attach a graphic you want + the key (right ctrl, left shift, etc) and I'll try to incorporate it to the design.

Offline Data

Re: [IC] Portal-themed keyset
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 08:08:51 »
See:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64213.0

There is interest, but who are you going to have print them?  How are you getting around the numerous trademark issues?

Offline neiru37

Re: [IC] Portal-themed keyset
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 08:49:07 »
See:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64213.0

There is interest, but who are you going to have print them?  How are you getting around the numerous trademark issues?

You know what, I actually haven't thought of that. Hah!

I guess I'll post my design to that existing forum, may contribute ideas.

Thanks!

Offline neiru37

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 08:55:35 »
Removing since my other thread got merged into this one.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 November 2014, 14:23:25 by neiru37 »

Offline mogo

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 10:08:47 »
Wow! Those look outstanding! I like the bordered alpha keys, that's clever! Good job Neiru!  :thumb:

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 10:21:29 »
I had a custom portal-themed keycap set printed by WASD recently. Here are some pics:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

So if you really want portal-themed keycaps, I guess WASD keyboards is the way to go. You'll have to deal with ABS keycaps though. But I guess at least they're textured.

I bet those were a pretty penny

Offline mogo

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 10:43:21 »
An ANSI custom set without the tenkey is only 47 bucks on WASD.

Offline neiru37

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 22:42:54 »
Yup, got mine for $47 + ~$10 shipping.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 11:29:25 »
An ANSI custom set without the tenkey is only 47 bucks on WASD.

I wonder if they front side print?

Offline neiru37

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 22:37:57 »
I think they do. The borders on the alpha keys on my set doesn't actually follow the shape of the guide they had in their layout template. I thought they were going to be cropped out, but in the keys I received, some of the excess border is actually printed on the sides of the keycaps.

Offline mogo

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 11:05:58 »
I would guess that's just margin bleeding, not intentional. I've never seen WASD do side-printing.