Author Topic: Any astronomers here? Looking for a very beginner telescope that isn't trash.  (Read 1082 times)

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
Hey guys!

I've always loved space, and used to read about it a lot as a kid. Lately I've found myself staring up at the night sky, wishing I could see a bit further. I work nights, so the majority of my time is spent during the night on my days off, so it seems like a pretty natural hobby for my lifestyle.

I figure it's a bit of a long shot, but I was just wondering if there are any astronomers around here, who might be willing to throw me some suggestions for a telescope? I've been doing research myself, but there are so many options to choose from. I'd love to hear from someone with experience, as I don't know anyone into this hobby, and the local science shop in town closed down a couple years ago. I'm a little bit scared of spending $100-$200 on a telescope and finding out I bought a piece of junk.

Looking to spend around $50-100, but if it's going to make a big difference in quality I could go a bit higher. Basically, I just want to observe star clusters, the moon, Venus/Mars/Jupiter, and maybe Andromeda.

I would really prefer to buy from http://www.canadiantelescopes.com/, as they have free shipping in Canada.

Thanks for the read!  :thumb:

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)